What are the differences in Cricut, Xyron PCS, Wishblade?

SalandJeff

Disney Addict x 3
I had posted this in another thread, but I think it got lost in the other topic.

I know the Wishblade is the most expensive, hooks up to your computer and you cut virtually anything without buying anything else.

Does the Cricut do anything that the Wishblade won't? And what are the differences between the Cricut and the Xyron PCS? They both will cut in different sizes, right. The Cricut appears to be more expensive, so I am wondering what else it does. Do you use dies, or books, to make the cuts?

Thanks.

Xyron Personal Cutting System
Revolutionize the way you choose, cut and create fonts and shapes in 3 different sizes. Includes: Personal Cutting System machine, removable cutting blade, self-adhesive replaceable cutting mat, power cord, starter alphabet font and shape design books, shape removal tool, instruction manual, quick-start guide, 1 Yr. Limited Warranty information.
$199.99
Additional font & shape books cost approx. $40-$50

Provo Craft's Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter is just that a personal electronic cutting machine that takes die cutting to the next level without the use of a personal computer. With just the touch of a button, crafters can choose from thousands of letters and shapes in sizes from 1 inch to 5.5 inches tall, and phrases up to 11.5 inches long. If you want 5-inch birthday candles and 3-inch party hats, you'll get them. There's no need to be tied down by pre-set sizes or odd paper shapes. On a variety of papers, from vellum to heavy cardstock, the Cricut machine delivers crisp, detailed cuts every time. With Cricut, you can finally Cut What You Want!
Included - Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter, User Manual, George and Basic Shapes Cartridge Binder (Cartridge, Keypad Overlay, Handbook), Blade Assembly, Cutting Mat, Cricut Quick Start Guide, Power Adapter

Regular Price: $250-300 (w/out any kind of coupon)
Additional cartridges cost approx. $80-$90 (w/out any kind of coupon)

Wishblade Personal Media Cutter
The Xyron/Wishblade is a desktop cutter that connects to your personal computer.
Using the Wishblade software, just type or insert the image you want to cut, size it, rotate it to fit your project, insert your paper into Wishblade and cut it out! It's easy and it's quick.
Size letters and shapes to fit your layout — from 1/2 inch all the way up to 8 inches.
Cut them from cardstock, printed paper, vellum and other media.
Choose from fonts and shapes in the Wishblade Design Library.
Wishblade is a compact, portable cutter of paper and other media that connects to your personal computer. It comes with software compatible with Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP. All Fonts and Shape sets are stored on SD (secure digital) cards making them easy to organize and store a reader card is needed.
Your Wishblade™ purchase will include: Advanced Software (Windows based) for your personal computer.
Easy to operate with your choice of a Bundle Set ($180 value). Also Included One cutting mat, one Blade Pack, Quick-Start-Guide, 14-Day Trial Period (see return policy at check out), Toll Free Technical Support, One-year Limited Warranty.
$449.00

Additional font sets $70
Additional shape sets $40
(But neither are necessary since you can cut just about any true-type font)

I guess in a nutshell:

Xyron Personal Cutting System
Computer Required: No
Cut size: small, medium, large
Price: $200
Extra Fonts/Shapes Cost: $40-50/book
Design/Cut own shapes: No

Provo Craft's Cricut Personal Electronic Cutter
Computer Required: No
Cut size: 1" - 5.5" tall (letters & shapes), up to 11.5" long (phrases)
Price: $250-300
Extra Fonts/Shapes Cost: $80-90
Design/Cut own shapes: No

Wishblade Personal Media Cutter
Computer Required: Yes
Cut size: .5" - 8" tall (letters and shapes)
Price: $450
Extra Fonts/Shapes Cost: $40-70
Design/Cut own shapes: Yes

Just being nosey, but who here owns which one? And would love feedback good and bad on each one.

I would LOVE to own a wishblade.... That is going on my Christmas wish list this year.. ;)

I have a Wishblade, bought it last year at the GASC. I've used it some, but not near as much as I would have liked. I just haven't had the time to scrap with a baby (now toddler) always wanting/needing attention. But what I have done with it I love.

Here's my first big project with my Wishblade. It's journal boxes and photo frames for the DCL Cruise swap last summer. There were 20+ people in the swap so using my Wishblade really made putting these together go pretty quickly compared to cutting everything by hand. (Actually I wouldn't have made these without the Wishblade.)
DCL-Frames-JournalBoxes.jpg

You can't really tell from the pic, but everything red is cut and adhered to the white, and the white is cut to show the blue through. (I cheated for the mickey heads and used a punch instead of the wishblade.) Someone on one of the Yahoo Wishblade groups had traced the Disney alpahbet - before you could cut any true-type font - that I downloaded to use. I used the Wishblade software to create the DCL and the logo to cut. I also had the wishblade cut the photo box in the white, then used a craft knife to cut through the blue and red so that everything would be lined up properly.

I've just ordered a Cricut (got a great deal at Memories.com). Right now I like the fact that I can get additional fonts for it at Michaels with a coupon. One of my scrapping buddies owns the Cricut, so I've seen it in action. She's also the Cricut demo person at our local Michaels.

The Wishblade wasn't going to work for me since I'm a Mac person. Now, the Cricut does have a USB port in it, but there is no info (that I've seen) for its use.

Another friend bought the Xyron, but I haven't seen it in action.

Jeanne

PS Robin, I LOVE what you did with your Wishblade!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter