What are the best seats on a plane??

moopdog

Dreaming of Disney....
I booked my flights with Delta (out of Scranton) and now I'm choosing our seats. It's been awhile since I've flown, so I can't remember which are the seats that give you more leg room. We have three kids so should we be close to the front to board sooner or close to the *ahem* bathrooms??

thanks.

As far foreward as you can get. The rear gets engine noise and the middle gets no view cause of the wing.

NandP said:
www.seatguru.com

That's all I can say !!!!

You can see what seats are good... give it a try!
Actually I think they mean for comfort and feel. The rear of planes tend to be very noisy and the middle area has the wings blocking the ground.

Although that site does rock. :teeth: I had to use it when I had the CRO at WDW make my air reservations. They tried to put me and my kids and DW several seats apart. I dont think so! :) If it wasnt for that site then I wouldnt have known. :)

Depends on the type of plane. If it's an MD-80, you'll have two seats on one side of the aisle and three on the other, so you might want to try to get an entire row. If it's a 737 or 757 (or most other planes), it's a three and three configuration. Regardless, I'd vote for front of the plane too, but only for the easy on, easy off feature. The back certainly is noiser on an MD-80, which has the engines in the back, but not necessarily on other planes with the engines under the wings.

All have restrooms in the rear, but the 757 also has restrooms in the middle of the main cabin. If that's what you're on, try to get in the forward section so you have the best of both worlds.

Also, try seatguru.com

We are flying from Louisville, KY to MCO on an Embraer 145. Otherwise affectionately known as the PGW, the "Pack of Gum with Wings". :goodvibes

Front bathrooms are now just for first class. It is a FAA rule so if you want to be close to a bathroom you will need to sit in the back.

Also if you are bringing items that will need to be in the overhead bin find out which way your airline boards the plane. If you are among the last to board you will have a hard time finding overhead space.

I second the seatguru website. We like to have a nice view and even though we were at the window seat, seatguru said it wasn't a good view due to the construction of the plane. So I changed the seats. :bitelip:

safetymom said:
Front bathrooms are now just for first class. It is a FAA rule so if you want to be close to a bathroom you will need to sit in the back.

Also if you are bringing items that will need to be in the overhead bin find out which way your airline boards the plane. If you are among the last to board you will have a hard time finding overhead space.

I flew Northwest last week and they made announcements both ways that the lavatories in the front were strictly for first class passengers, all others use the back.

Northwest used the traditional back to front boarding, not the new "zone".

Pay attention to the emergency exit aisles of you have children or a carseat. Children cannot sit in the emer. exit at all. As far as car seats go, we had a problem with our cross country flight home last year. My toddler was ticketed, had his carseat, and we had nice assigned seats mid-forward. The flight guy told me I couldn't buckly in a car seat closer than 2 rows away from the emer. exit. First I ever heard of this. He wanted to move us to the back of the plane, but I jettisoned the car seat to gate check instead. Truthfully, I think the guy was being a PITA, because even another flight attendant seemed surprised by this rule. But anyway, be forewarned.

Sorry, but the FA was correct. The rows directly in front of and behind the exit rows are legitimate no-go zones for carseat installation on some aircraft. The reasons for both are different. The forward row is restricted b/c the carseat will prevent the seatback from collapsing forward, which it must be able to do in the event that the plane is evacuated through the emergency door. On some aircraft, the row behind must be clear because the operating procedure requires that it be used as a toss-space for anything that might block the emergency row (which sometimes includes the door itself.)

Also, on the front lav thing, if there is no FC or BC, then any passenger can use any lav. Lots of smaller planes are all coach service.

NandP said:
www.seatguru.com

That's all I can say !!!!

You can see what seats are good... give it a try!
I'm a big fan of http://www.seatguru.com too. SeatGuru tends to recommend exit rows and other rows with extra legroom.

However, unless you're an elite frequent flyer (typically at least 25 thousand miles per year) on the airline or you're flying on an expensive, unrestricted ticket, don't get your hopes up about pre-reserving the best seats. Such seats as exit row seats, Economy Plus on United, and other extra legroom rows are usually unavailable to casual, leisure fare flyers.

Also, children under the age of 15 may not be seated in an exit row. This also applies to adults traveling with someone under 15 (even if the child is seated in a different row).

Be sure to check the seats with online check-in 24 hours before. Last Friday night on Northwest, I had 19E which was the only available seat when I booked about 3 weeks ago. There were seats open close to the front but they were blocked for preferred members. When I did online check-in on Friday morning, they were available and I moved to 6F.

=safetymom]Front bathrooms are now just for first class. It is a FAA rule so if you want to be close to a bathroom you will need to sit in the back.
I didn't know that the front lav is only for the first class. My daughter and I used it, it was the closest one to us. The flight attendant didn't tell us, nor it says anywhere in the booklet.

DebbieB said:
Be sure to check the seats with online check-in 24 hours before.
Delta has seats already assigned to us. They arent exit rows or anything but they are up front away from the jets and away from the wings.

DebbieB said:
I flew Northwest last week and they made announcements both ways that the lavatories in the front were strictly for first class passengers, all others use the back.

The last two times we have flown on USAirways this was the case, also. i saw the flight attendents stopping people and directing them to the rest rooms in the back.

Fantasia, the flight attendant may have been busy. They announce it on every flight now. It isn't written down in the magazine as far as I know.

They say it is for security reasons. I have been on flights before this where there was a line stretching through first. Some flights are using the curtain again so you can't walk through first unless you are sitting there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!