What are some things you missed out on as a kid that your are making up for now as an adult?

DisneyWorld. Growing up I thought it was just a tv show. I didn’t realize it was a real place you could go to. I didn’t even know what a vacation was cause my parents never took us anywhere. The only places we went to were our aunt and uncles, who all lived locally, where all the grown ups would sit around and listen to country music and smoke and we would hang with our cousins. My husband suggested going to WDW for our honeymoon in 1981 and I’ve been hooked ever since.

Travel. As the child of a single mom, time, money, and her lack of confidence traveling as the only adult, outnumbered by her kids, limited our travel to road trips to see family, and I always wanted to see and do more. So now I am.

I'm doing things, owning things and experiencing things that would have been unheard of in my youth. It would be difficult to make a complete list as it would include many, many things that are a part of my life now. I still don't own or watch television to this day to honor my mother and father, but there are still things, like owning a cell phone or laptop, having the internet, electricity, a vehicle, modern clothing, and many more that they would have never allowed in my youth.

Travel
Laundry (as a kid, my parents required us to wear clothes several times before washing. I love that now as an adult I can wash my clothes every time.)

Video games. My brother had NES and SNES but never let me play with them so now I have a PS4 and Wii. :)

Reactions: shh
Good thread question - interesting to read everyone's answers ::yes::

For me, (1) Disney and (2) way more importantly, freedom to crank the AC up as high as I want and actually feel cool in my own home. Born and raised in Florida to parents who struggled financially. High electric bills were NOT going to fly in our house. We spent our childhood & teen years always feeling hot and uncomfortable, especially at night trying to sleep. :crazy2:

Nowadays, my power bills are higher than most people's but I don't care. I'll eat out or travel less if I have to.

Steak. And shrimp. And crab, lobster, scallops... And more exotic ethnic foods than Italian (spaghetti/pizza) and Mexican (tacos/burritos).

Disney trips (only had one as a child, started going on my own regularly in college and have continued ever since).

Being able to put holes in walls. My father hated holes in walls, so my poor mother would have to come up with all kinds of creative ways to put anything on the walls. We owned the house, we weren't renters. Today, any time I want to put something up, out comes the hammer. I've got family pictures all down my hallway. lol though now there are better ways of putting things up, but none are as satisfying.

Reactions: shh
Oh, and shoes. I have always loved shoes but was only rarely allowed to buy any as a child. I don't spend a lot of money on my shoes, but I love to shoe shop and find great bargains (DSW, here I come!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter