what age for first cruise?

While DD was 3 on our first cruise, she didn't like the club so spent all of her time with us other than that hour she spent there with her brother. We didn't pick DCL for an adult vacation though, we picked it because it was great for families. While DS5 would have stayed in the club 24/7, we spent lots of quality time with DD. DH traveled 50% of the year, so this was the first time in a long time that she had him with her for 7+ days. We didn't start going to the nightclub until our 9th cruise on the Fantasy when the kids were 11 & 13. DD never did take to the clubs and had to be talked into going during Palo, but when we cruise with friends the kids stick together.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice :-) it does make sense that a cruise would be easier with a younger child/baby than most other places. Hopefully we can start planning a disney cruise soon!!!

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice :-) it does make sense that a cruise would be easier with a younger child/baby than most other places. Hopefully we can start planning a disney cruise soon!!!

I tell everyone a Disney cruise is the only "real" vacation I get! Anywhere else and I'm still doing the same thing I do at home, just in a different place.

Sent from me.

Our son was 2 on his first cruise. He was too young for the kids club but we used in the in-cabin babysitting on NCL. Since then, he has been on 3 more cruises with the last one being Disney. He loves cruising and told me we need to go on 4 this year (he is 5 now). Better start saving. I think the age matters when you think about the things you would like to do on a cruise and the amenities you want to use (like the kids club, pool, etc.).

We just got back with our twin 23 month olds and 3.5 year old. It was a lot of work, but it was also a very enjoyable vacation.

The 23 month olds were old enough to recognize characters and enjoy them without being scared. They were old enough to be able to handle getting off their normal schedule without too many meltdowns. They were old enough to walk around the ship without needing to be carried constantly. They were old enough to play in the open house in the club (slide, etc.) without me having to follow them around.

I think the 2 year old age is perfect, and I wouldn't want to take them much younger. Of course, it is a bit different with twins. The logistics of one younger child is just a lot easier. :)

I'm of the mindset that you plan the vacation and the kids come along. We took all three of our kids to WDW for the first time at 11 months old, not because we thought they would get something out of it, but because we wanted to vacation there.

Well, we are taking a 71 year old on his first cruise in a few weeks. I'll let you know how it goes:) Seriously, I'm not sure there is a perfect age. I do know, or feel, that a cruise it's a much easier way of vacationing with a small one, because of access to your room.

:rotfl2:

Our youngest was 16 months old when we took her on a Disney cruise. Although I think ideally age 2 or 3 would have been better, we can't put our lives on hold until our kids are the perfect age. (We have 2 older kiddos).We had planned the cruise before I knew I was pregnant with her, so we decided to stick with our plans.

We made a YouTube music video of that one, and our next one when she was 2 1/2. All 3 of our kids had a fantastic time on both cruises.

On our next cruise, our youngest will be 3, we are looking forward to not having to reserve nursery time!:yay:

DS had been on DCL at 1.5 and 2.5. The second trip was definitely easier, although we enjoyed both. The first we did just the cruise, the second we did both WDW and DCL. At 2.5 he was potty trained and able to use the pools, but he did not miss it at all the first time because he enjoyed Nemo's Reef. We used the nursery and visited the kids clubs during open house time both times.

Probably also depends on the babe - DS was not very flexible at 1.5, so if (when!) his schedule got too out of whack, he fell apart.

Want to emphasize what one poster said about not waiting too long or your oldest will think he/she is "too old" for a Disney cruise. We have kids who will be 15, 12 and 7 when we go on our first cruise in December. My 15 year old son is complaining and saying he doesn't want to go. The 12 year old is somewhat excited and the 7 year old can't wait. I think the biggest thing with my 15 year old is that he will have to live without internet for a few days and won't be connected to his friends. The odd thing is that he says he still would be excited about going to the parks. But we haven't actually gone on the cruise and once he does maybe he will enjoy himself.

Our youngest had just turned two when we went. She had a blast and still talks about the ship and the mickey ketchup months later. She is very shy so didn't do the nursery or want to be in the pools. It was an awesome trip! And so much easier than the parks as the room eas always so close!! With that saI'd I do look forward to next cruise when she will be 4 and can do the kids clubs and pools!

We took DD on NCL at 15 months and DCL when she had just turned 2. Both cruises were fun, but DCL has a lot more to offer for under-3s. Sh loved the open house activities in the club, going to the family dance parties, talking to the little girl at our table, meeting the characters, etc. it's been over a month and she will still start randomly talking about the ship and the characters, etc. I would probably go with what prior posters have said and go sooner so the older kids can enjoy it and just let the baby tag along :thumbsup2

The nursery is awesome. DH and I both work full time, so uninterrupted alone time is a real treat and being able to go to a nice dinner one night, spend a few hours at the adult pool, and lounge around on the adult beach for the better part of an afternoon was a huge treat (especially since the cruise was after 5 days at WDW, so some r&r was in order). At 25 months, and in daycare full time, DD was a little underwhelmed with the nursery, the counselors were always great with her, but after visiting the club during open house she knew there was "cooler" stuff going on and wanted to do that.

We'll likely go again in the next year or two when she is 3 or 4 and her future little sister is around 1 or 1.5, it's such an easy way to travel with little kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!