What a week its been! Almost threw up on more deviled eggs!!!

Barbruka

Favorite place in the world.
Ok everyone, my problem is this. I need some EASY AND FAST ideas for breakfast. I'm on Atkins, about to start my second week. I knew this diet might not be right for me cause I'm not a big egg eater, never was. In fact this morning I made deviled eggs for the second time this week and I actually gagged on them and almost threw up. I'm not a huge meat eater too so don't know how I can succeed on Atkins.

Now the plus side - In six days since beginning induction I have already lost 7 pounds, the swelling in my ankles that I have had for years is gone (unbelievable!!!), I have no desire for food, no appetite, twice the energy, hips are feeling better already, and I can't believe it doesn't hurt to get up and down as much.

Now I know this has to do with not eating carbs. When you have a ton of weight to lose like I do, 7 pounds is nothing. Its hard to believe getting carbs OUT of my system is responsible for all this, but what else could it be?

So I don't want to quit at all! I just need ideas for fast breakfasts. Any ideas? Please no eggs unless in something else.

My suggestion would be to stop thinking of breakfast as that. You can have any kind of protien for any meal. I tend to have a bowl of Tuna or chicken salad for breakfast because I don't want eggs every day.

I make a beachgirls cheesecake (see the stick post of low carb recipes on this board) and have 1/12th of a pie slice for breakfast - very yum and a great low carb way to start the day. Another low carb option is flax hot cereal. I purchase flaxomeal hot cereal from netrition.com and it is very good - but you can also make your own. Here is the recipe:

Flax hot cereal
1/4 c of ground flax
1 scoop of protien powder (I use vanilla Designer Whey protein powder < 2 grams carbs per scoop)
about 1/2 cup of boiling water.

Combine the dry ingredients and then stir in the hot water to desired consistency. Add a tbls of butter some cinnamon and sf Davinci Syrup or splenda as you like. This has a net carb count of 4 per serving. VERY high fiber - which is also a good way to start your day off.

As PamCo88 posted - you should not limit yourself to traditional breakfast foods. I often have leftover meats from the previous nights dinner. Roasted chicken with some sliced cucumbers is a great breakfast!

Another idea is to make some homemade flax muffins and have one or two with some butter or cream cheese spread on them. Here is the recipe for those:

Flaxmeal Cinnamon Muffins

6 TBSP. vegetable or corn oil
3 large eggs, separated
4 TBSP. vanilla Davinchi syrup (or flavor of choice)
2 TBSP. water
1 TBSP. vanilla extract

1 cup flaxmeal
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2 TBSP. cinnamon

Mix oil, egg yolks, syrup, water and vanilla. Add all dry ingredients and mix well. Beat the egg whites to soft peaks and gently fold into the wet mixture. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Divide evenly into 12 greased muffin tins. Bake at 350° for approx. 12 - 15 minutes. Remove from pan immediately.

Per Serving: 146 Calories; 12g Fat (74.0% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 4g Dietary Fiber; 47mg Cholesterol; 91mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

I have tried all of these things - and find them very good breakfast options. Wishing you success.

Don't limit yourself to eggs for breakfast. I eat leftovers from dinner the night before a lot of mornings.

I've eaten shrimp scampi, bacon cheeseburgers, pepperoni with mozarrella cheese melted on top, pork chops, steak, fried chicken breaded with parmesan cheese, veal parmesan, ham slices spread with cream cheese and rolled up. I've even eaten left over fried catfish and okra.

Don't think of breakfast as just being eggs. Once you are finished with induction you can make some low carb muffins or low carb bread. I even have a recipe for cream cheese frosting that is really good and low carb.

There is a cheese sauce that you can easily make, too, that would really dress up a couple of poached eggs on ham, perhaps?

Let your imagination run wild, there are no limits on what you can eat for breakfast :)

You are doing <i>great</i> Barb, just keep it up.

I started gagging just from reading the subject bar of this post!! I am the same way with hard boiled eggs...and I HAD to eat them for 4 days while doing a fast!!! I know how you feel!

I have eaten the Atkins low carb bars for breakfast...but beware that they do stall some people...but you won't know until you try them..also don't start eating them until after induction.

I sometimes eat some Macidamena (sp) Nuts. just 1oz...especially if I am not that hungry...but I know that I should eat something.

Also...I will fry a piece of sliced ham in some butter, or fry some hotdogs. Use your imagination...once you start eating non breakfast foods for breakfast...it gets easier.

Tracy

Great thread! I'm not a big fan of eggs either. I can tolerate them but would rather have a muffin or cereal for breakfast. Also, I'm not too into eating non-breakfast stuff that early either. It makes me feel blah.

Question: Am I allowed the muffins Dixie posted on induction? They look tasty and like something I could eat every day or alternate with eggs.

Yuck!

I know I was not an egg person for about 15 years, but somehow I started to like them again (I like scrambled egg whites, but I don't think that will help you on Atkins!)

You are doing fabulous so far! (when I read your post subject line, I thought maybe you had gotten sick and almost threw up on some food for your guests!) ;) Glad that is not the case!!!

Hang in there! :) Thought about you this morning as I opened some tuna to make a tuna fish sandwich for DH to take to work. I don't think I could eat a can of tuna at 6:30, but stranger things have happened! :) hee hee! GOOD LUCK!!!

It's not allowed on Induction, but I'm with Tracy, I love 1 oz of macadamia nuts for breakfast. They are super high fat and have lots of fiber for the amount you're eating (210 cal; fat 21g; protein 2g; sugars 1gm; fiber 3g). I attribute them for keeping us "regular" while on the fat fast! ANd I will confess in front of you all that when I do get back to Induction after the phases of the fast are over, I will probably continue to eat them for breakfast! So there - my little rebellion!

(Don't tell anybody I said this, but if it works for you, go for it - this is only mac nuts - not any other kind of nut!)

Karyn
(a rebel)

My favorite breakfast is a cheeseburger! I cook up some burgers on Sunday, and in the morning while i'm getting ready, I "nuke" it and slather it with mayo. It's not for everyone, but I love cheeseburgers, and the egg thing was getting to me.

Also, I am with Kabuli1 and the mac. nuts.... love 'em, and their quick and easy...can even eat them in the car when I'm running late. They're pretty filling.

I've also started making egg salad and adding radishes and celery... I eat a quarter cup of that if all else fails. It's easier than trying to choke down a cold hard boiled egg.

Crustless quiche is another favorite. I just try to keep mixing it up so I won't get bored.

One of the best parts of the diet for me is being able to have the foods I love at anytime of the day!

Best of Luck!
Sue

Well, ordered a bunch of stuff from Netrition.com. Breakfast bars and the flax cereal and Atkins Pancake mix among some other things. Hopefully, things will get better when they arrive. But I will hold off on them till next Monday as that is when induction is over for me.

I think you will find that the pancake mix is tastier as a waffle. I, personally, do not care for the pancakes made from this mix.

Also, if you use sugar free pancake syrup, it smells perfect and tastes perfect but the texture is nonexistent, it is like water. I followed a suggestion here on WISH and put some sugar free syrup in my food processor and added about 1/8 tsp of xantham gum, mixed it for a second (just as short a time as possible to mix it) and it improved the texture but it is no longer clear. My husband liked it though and you can heat it without breaking it down. You might want to try that after induction :)

Everyone... try Sugar Free Log Cabin Syrup. It has splenda AND sugar alcohols in it... and it is the consistency of regular "lite" syrup and it is delicious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter