What’s the oldest Magic Bands you’ve used?

ericbansemer

Earning My Ears
So I’ve read that Disney says the batteries in the Magic Bands should be good for 2 years, but has anyone ever used one that’s older than that and it still work?

We got some special edition bands in Dec 2017 for our Oct 2018 trip and I was wondering if they’d still work on our Oct 2020 trip but by that point they'd be pushing 3 years old. I know we could swap the puck out but they’re white and you can’t get a free white band, I wish they’d make it where you could replace the battery.

I've used the old pre-puck ones as recently as this January (a 3 year old band). The band should work for admission and fastpass whatever the battery state is.

The problem you can run into is that they won't do Photopass autodetection on rides like 7D Mine Train. As a workaround for that, you can get a freebie band and carry it around in a pocket or looped around a bag strap. I got one of the MagicKeepers, moved the puck, and hooked it to my camera strap.

So I’ve read that Disney says the batteries in the Magic Bands should be good for 2 years, but has anyone ever used one that’s older than that and it still work?
I have dozens of MB's, many are older than 2 years. Some date back to the start of the MB program. They all work just fine at the touch points. The only feature that requires the battery is the long-range scan like for ride photos.

I have dozens of MB's, many are older than 2 years. Some date back to the start of the MB program. They all work just fine at the touch points. The only feature that requires the battery is the long-range scan like for ride photos.

Just to add to this—if you want to get pictures still, my suggestion is that everyone in your party have a mix of older and newer bands.

If I want to wear one of my older ones, my wife wears a new one. and vice versa. Like OKW lover says, you’ll both still have access to your tickets. Plus as long as you’re riding things together, you’ll get ride photos.

I had magicband issues once and to solve the problem, the CM deleted a bunch of older ones from my MDE profile. She told me having many active at one time can causes issues ( my new one didnt open my door). Granted I did have like 10 active bands. So besides battery issues, clean up your profile and delete old bands.

I had one from Marathon Weekend 2012 in my bag on my trip in September (just in case the other one fell off - only had that happen once on Mission Space with a 1st generation one...got it back, but that panic!) and at least the pictures and interactive stuff still worked - even in my bag. I met up with friends and noticed I was getting 2 copies of ride pics and could not figure it out, then on IASW in the end my name popped up twice and somehow it clicked that I had a second band in my bag and that must be why!

We use our MB's from 2016 to 2018 all the time and don't have a problem with them. I still have one of the old versions that I love because it has the best vinyl cover on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter