• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Whales, and wolves, and bears! Oh, my! And then to see an elephant fly! - Day 3

Ware Bears

Bring me that horizon
Saturday August 3rd 2013
This morning it was cloudy and overcast but at least it was dry. We watched the HAL Zuiderdam and the Diamond Princess come in and then after breakfast at Tim Hortons we walked to Gastown which is Vancouver's oldest neighbourhood.

3-1.jpg

3-1A.jpg

The steam clock that whistles the Westminster Chimes every quarter hour

3-2.jpg

3-3.jpg

and the statue of Gassy Jack, the founding father of Gastown,

3-5.jpg

which is situated on the spot where the name Vancouver was chosen.

3-4.jpg

Then we took the complimentary shuttle bus to Capilano Suspension Bridge. It was very crowded which somehow made the bridge and cliff walks a little less scary!

3-6.jpg

3-7.jpg

3-8.jpg

3-9.jpg

3-10.jpg

3-11.jpg

3-12.jpg

3-13.jpg

3-14.jpg

3-15.jpg

3-16.jpg

3-17.jpg

3-18.jpg

3-19.jpg

3-20.jpg

You get a certificate if you complete it all!

After catching the bus back, we went back to Gastown to eat at the Steamworks Brewery, we'd gone past the restaurant in the morning and the menu had looked good. I had basa fish tacos which were delicious and an orange flavoured white beer - I'm not a beer fan as a rule but it was very light and refreshing.

3-21.jpg

After dinner the girls went back to their room to watch a film and catch up with boyfriends/friends back home but it was too early for us oldies to turn in for the night so we headed up to English Bay to watch the fireworks. Every summer Vancouver hosts the Celebration of Light festival where three countries compete, tonight's display was Thailand's entry. It was very good but I wish we could have seen the UK's entry the previous week as it was James Bond themed.

We managed to keep ahead of the crowds on our way back to the hotel and were back by midnight so not too late for the oldies after all. :rotfl:

Tomorrow ~ Grouse Mountain.

You were brave to do the suspension bridge with so many people about. When we did this, when we crossed the bridge the first time round, there was hardly anybody around. I was fine then. Coming back, there were a lot more people and the bridge swayed a lot. That totally freaked me out. It was nowhere near as busy as in your photos though.

Corinna

Really enjoying your TR. We did Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler, Jasper and Banff last sep so this is bringing back lovely memories.
I wanted to go to the suspension bridge and grouse mountain but we didn't get chance too as we ran out of time. So much to do there.

You were brave to do the suspension bridge with so many people about. When we did this, when we crossed the bridge the first time round, there was hardly anybody around. I was fine then. Coming back, there were a lot more people and the bridge swayed a lot. That totally freaked me out. It was nowhere near as busy as in your photos though.

Corinna
There were so many people on the bridge that we just had to shuffle along so as not to hold anyone up and therefore didn't have chance to get scared! It's obviously much better to go early in the day before the crowds arrive but it's so hard to fit everything in.

Really enjoying your TR. We did Vancouver, Victoria, Whistler, Jasper and Banff last sep so this is bringing back lovely memories.
I wanted to go to the suspension bridge and grouse mountain but we didn't get chance too as we ran out of time. So much to do there.

Thank you :) your holiday sounds fab, there's so much to do there, DH and I are going back next year and were hoping to fly into Calgary and drive to Vancouver but I don't think we're going to have time. Definitely going to Victoria though - and it gives us an excuse to go back a third time! ;)

Thank you :) your holiday sounds fab, there's so much to do there, DH and I are going back next year and were hoping to fly into Calgary and drive to Vancouver but I don't think we're going to have time. Definitely going to Victoria though - and it gives us an excuse to go back a third time! ;)

Victoria was great enjoyed it more there than Vancouver. We did a whale tour from fisherman's wharf which was amazing. Would also recommend walking through beacon hill park and then along the coast, beautiful views.
Would have loved to go to tofino, sounded like a great place for whale spotting.

We flew in to Vancouver and out from Calgary. Didn't get to see much of Calgary but it looked interesting place. We all really loved Banff tho, that was def our favourite place.

The bridges looked like great fun, even though I'm scared of heights. Are they the ones Chilly did a couple of years back?

The fireworks sound good too, did you not get any pictures. Well done to the oldies for staying up late :thumbsup2 I usually struggle to make it past 10 o'clock the first few nights.

I hope you're going to write some more Elaine, I've run out of things to read now <<<taps foot impatiently>>>

It looks totally stunning .... not sure I could managed that bridge though ... I am bad enough on the one at Disneyland Paris. Looking forward to next installment.

Are they the ones Chilly did a couple of years back?

The fireworks sound good too, did you not get any pictures.
Yes, same bridges and no fireworks photos because we didn't bother taking a camera and my phone takes rubbish photos!

It looks totally stunning .... not sure I could managed that bridge though ... I am bad enough on the one at Disneyland Paris. Looking forward to next installment.
Believe it or not, I have been more scared on that bridge at DLP than I was on this one. Perhaps the crowds lulled me into a false sense of security as in safety in numbers?!! :confused3 :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter