Western Caibbean in December???

Disneydreamer5

DIS Veteran
I found a pretty good rate for December on the Wonder for Western Caibbean but I was curious how the weather will be.
Key West?
Grand Cayman?
Cozumel?
Castaway Cay?
Any insight would be great. We have never cruised with the kids before and this trip is going cost a ton of money so I want it to be awesome.
Another thing is do you know when the Christmas decor gets put up on the ship?
Thanks everyone.
Or would you do the 3 night in Oct for half the price?

Hello we did a Western
12/2/2006-12/9/2006

Key West? -- VERY nice and warm ! drizzle in the morning - sun sun and warm in afternoon....

Grand Cayman? -- SUNNY and very warm - we swam at the stingray excursion for the day -- needed sunscreen for sure that day

Cozumel? - OH my beautiful day - sunny and in mid 80's - spent the day at San Fransisco Beach (we asked at guest services where Staff go when they have a day off - and he told us his fave place was there so off we went - rented the chairs and had a blast a total blast!!! )

Castaway Cay? -- started off overcast - and warmed right up - I did not go in the water - but DD did with her teen group and they said it was chilly at first but great!!!

Any insight would be great. We have never cruised with the kids before and this trip is going cost a ton of money so I want it to be awesome. --- we loved this cruise - it was Magical!

Another thing is do you know when the Christmas decor gets put up on the ship? The ship is decorated top to bottom - oh boy did it put us in the spirit of Christmas - we went to the tree lighting ceremony and sang Caroles and a great time....

Thanks everyone.

I have done a 4 night cruise and now going on my second 7 night Disney Cruise...This time we are doing Turkey Day 2009 --- I am told we will have the best of both worlds - both Turkey day and then Christmas decorations....

LOVE IT!!!

So this is a good time to go then. Well that is good to know for sure.
And as for the smoke free, thank you very much. DH and I quit together after smoking together for 25 years we deserve a reward and what better then DC?:cool1:

I found a pretty good rate for December on the Wonder for Western Caibbean but I was curious how the weather will be.
Key West?
Grand Cayman?
Cozumel?
Castaway Cay?
Any insight would be great. We have never cruised with the kids before and this trip is going cost a ton of money so I want it to be awesome.
Another thing is do you know when the Christmas decor gets put up on the ship?
Thanks everyone.

Just so that you don't put the wrong ship on your door signs and all...if you go on the Western you will be on the Magic. :) The weather is beautiful there in December. In fact, it is our favorite time of year. We get the best prices for the cruises and get to leave behind the cold and dampness at home. :)

GO FOR IT!! We sailed on the Magic (Western) in December 2007, and it was woooonderful. Weather can vary, no matter when you go.

PC was beautiful. We ate lunch on deck in the bright sunshine.

We were late to arrive in KW due to storms, but the weather was pleasant when we arrived. Water excursions were cancelled.

Cozumel and GC were GORGEOUS!

CC was overcast and chilly. We sat on the beach wrapped in towels, but we were in PARADISE, so we didn't care!

But, for me, the true magic was the combination of Christmas decorations/characters in seasonal costumes (on the ship and at CC) with the Disney magic. Who else but Disney would make it snow in the middle of the Caribbean? :santa:

Build your own gingerbread house (and eat it), listen to Mrs. Claus read the Night Before Christmas, get your holiday pics with the characters, play in the snow on CC, admire the Christmas decorations, and ENJOY!!

Let me add my agreement to the December cruises.

Went last year and it was great. The ship was all decked out in its holiday splendor.

Weather was great, Key West was around 80 degrees. Grand Cayman was the bad day, it was so windy that day we were never able to pull into port, so we ended up just sailing on by and having another day at sea.

Cozumel was mid 80s which felt great, we did the Tulum ruins tour which with the weather being so warm it felt so good being along the ocean that day. Castaway was also warm, maybe 78 degrees, the water was chilly but I finally said to myself...get over it and just dunked myself and went snorkelling.
Thats the one good thing when the water is cold, not a lot of people will brave snorkelling so you can go out and the water is super clear since no one is out there kicking up sand.

I say go for the December trip, it truely is the best time of year.:thumbsup2

Which Western are you thinking about? We're on the one leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

Its actually December 12th. I found that one for $699 for an interior cabin but I would have to go to a cat 11 in order to make sure we are next to each other and I am not even sure how much more that would end up soming out too. The other thing I just found out is about the $12 per person per day tip.Thats another $588 for us :scared1:
Thats a big tip.

Yeah we are a big tribe, as I lovingly refer to us.
That is one of the reasons I have to be certain its going to be worth it for us.
Its a lot of money for anyone but when you don't make a lot to start with, there is a lot of scarifice that goes into spending that kind of money on a vacation.
We are still trying to work it all out to see if its something we can do but I am praying it will all work out however it is meant too.
As for the crew being worth it. I have to say I am certain they are worth, but when you really break it down and think about it, $12 a day per guest isn't a lot of money so I hope that get a lot more aside from their tips. Its a lot for my group but not if that is all they are getting. Ya know?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter