Were the Northern European cruises popular?

paddles

Mouseketeer
When DCL offered Northern European cruises back in 2010, my kids were too little for us to consider it.

But its a place I'd really like to visit, and would prefer DCL since its so family/kid friendly.

Were the Northern Europe cruises popular when DCL offered them....any chance those could come back in 2014? I have no interest in a Med cruise (would prefer just to travel on land to those cities)...but cruising seems necessary to hit the major Baltic cities. And an ABD add-on would make it that much better!

They were quite expensive...as is typical the first season DCL does anything. Yes, they were well received, but many people noted that they were very port intensive with the ship serving as a "floating hotel." Given this, one questions whether it was the best cruise line to choose. There are other upscale lines that hit these same ports at a lot lower cost.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Magic...but if I'm not using any of the Disney perks (essentially eating dinner and sleeping on the ship), I can choose a less costly "hotel." If I have kids in the programming, etc. then it is worth the DCL premium.

DH and I looked at the cost of a DCL Baltic cruise and booked another cruise line. Basically the same itinerary for a much better price. The cost difference paid for some really nice shore excursions.

When we sailed to Hawaii we chose DCL because of all the sea days and really enjoyed the ship.

DH and I looked at the cost of a DCL Baltic cruise and booked another cruise line. Basically the same itinerary for a much better price. The cost difference paid for some really nice shore excursions.
We did the same thing. We had a nearly identical itinerary as DCL, with only one different port. But more importantly, we had a much better arrival time at St Petersburg (we arrived at 8:00 am instead of 12:00 pm) -- and paid 1/3 the cost of what DCL charged.

Woody

We did the same thing. We had a nearly identical itinerary as DCL, with only one different port. But more importantly, we had a much better arrival time at St Petersburg (we arrived at 8:00 am instead of 12:00 pm) -- and paid 1/3 the cost of what DCL charged.

Woody

Would you be able to share the name of the cruise line? Thanks!

I'm just curious on which ports this would visit? Like the OP, I am not interested in the Med. cruise as I would prefer a land vacation for that.

I, too, am interested in hearing recos of other cruise lines for a Northern European cruise (esp. ones that might be a bit more kid friendly). My kids will be 9 and 11 in 2014, so they're not so little.

In terms of ports, the Northern Europe cruise typically hits Stockholm, Sweden; Copenhagen, Denmark; Talinn, Estonia; St. Petersburg, Russia; and a couple other ports sprinkled in (sometimes Poland or Northern Germany).

I, too, am interested in hearing recos of other cruise lines for a Northern European cruise (esp. ones that might be a bit more kid friendly). My kids will be 9 and 11 in 2014, so they're not so little.

In terms of ports, the Northern Europe cruise typically hits Stockholm, Sweden; Copenhagen, Denmark; Talinn, Estonia; St. Petersburg, Russia; and a couple other ports sprinkled in (sometimes Poland or Northern Germany).

We sailed on the Celebrity Eclipse 14 day round trip from Southampton England. It included Bruges Belgium, Warnemunde Germany, Stockholm Sweden, Helsinki Finland, two days in St. Petersburg Russia, Tallinn Estonia, and Copenhagen Denmark. We added on two pre-cruise days in London, then ended the cruise with a "shore excursion" to Windsor Castle, then the bus dropped everyone off at Heathrow airport.

Would have liked more time in Germany (will have to go back!) Our favorite port was St. Petersburg with the Hermitage museum. The ballet school gave us a private performance -- fabulous!

Would you be able to share the name of the cruise line? Thanks!
We sailed on Royal Caribbean's Jewel of the Seas on the "Scandinavian & Russia" itinerary, roundtrip from Harwich, England.

Our itinerary visited Copenhagen, Denmark; Stockholm, Sweden; Helsinki, Finland; St Petersburg, Russia (overnight); Tallinn, Estonia; and Gothenburg; Sweden.

Getting off the ship at St Petersburg was a definite "wow" moment. Growing up I never imagined visiting Russia. Some highlights of St Petersburg were the Peterhof (the "Russian Versailles"), Hermitage Museum, Peter and Paul Fortress, Catherine's Palace, the Spilled Blood Cathedral, and St Issac's Cathedral.

RCI and Celebrity are sister companies owned by the same parent company. So they both have years of experience with Baltic cruises.

Woody

Thank you both for the great information. I can't wait to start researching. The itineraries sound amazing! Did you happen to get a sense for whether the kis activities were well done? Our DD is 5 so she may not be joining us on our excursions and we want to make sure she has a great time as well. Thanks!:goodvibes

paddles said:
When DCL offered Northern European cruises back in 2010, my kids were too little for us to consider it.

But its a place I'd really like to visit, and would prefer DCL since its so family/kid friendly.

Were the Northern Europe cruises popular when DCL offered them....any chance those could come back in 2014? I have no interest in a Med cruise (would prefer just to travel on land to those cities)...but cruising seems necessary to hit the major Baltic cities. And an ABD add-on would make it that much better!

We enjoyed the Baltic with Disney. GREAT CRUISE :)

Ports were great. Disney brought on local entertainment for some of the shows. They offered special menus . Disney had their photographers at the local hot spots which is great for those unwilling to hand over their cameras. The photographers would use your camera for pic if asked.

Not sure if Disney will head back to the Baltic, but if they did, I would recommend it. We loved it. We also loved our Med cruise :)

Thank you both for the great information. I can't wait to start researching. The itineraries sound amazing! Did you happen to get a sense for whether the kis activities were well done? Our DD is 5 so she may not be joining us on our excursions and we want to make sure she has a great time as well. Thanks!:goodvibes

Very few kids on the cruise. Have no idea about their activities.

NorCalDVC said:

My kids loves the cruise. They were over the moon about Russia and Estonia.

The kids were NOT fans of the menus. A lot of fish was served.... Some with eyeballs looking at you! Haha ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter