We're NOT Going to Kansas... We're Going to Disney World!

Duffy Lover

What?!?!? No!
The day has come. Yes, after over a year of planning, the surprise is almost here! I am currently doing the single digit dance. It is now time to discuss the details, including the cast, the surprise, the locations, and the ADRs.

So in the March of 2011, my wonderful parents took my family, my sister’s family and my little sister to the world for an amazing grand gathering. We stayed in a “rented” OKW grand villa for one week during spring break. My parents being the awesome people that they are decided to buy DVC at OKW and the BC after that fantastic trip and have promised to take the family again in 2014. Well, being the good Disney obsessed daughter/wife/mother that I am I couldn’t wait that long, and so this trip was born. We will also be celebrating my mother’s 61st birthday, my completion of graduate classes and life in general.

On board for this trip are:

ME: Duffy Lover
DD1: My five year old almost kindergarten daughter
DD2: My two year old almost preschooler (to be three in August)
DM: Pirate Granny (My wonderful Mom, also known as Buszia – polish for grandma- who lives way too far away)
DF: My funny Dad, known as Papa to my girls
DS: My sarcastic and darling sister, who the girls adore

My DH is not Disney enamored like me, yet tolerates my obsession and is more than happy to let me frequent Disney message boards every night. He will not be joining us on the trip , but what can you do? He will be with us for our whole family vacation in 2014, though…

I have read so much about surprise trips, and I was so excited to be able to surprise my girls for this trip. I have been telling them that we were going to Kansas to meet Papa for his work conference, since my DM and DS were joining them. I wanted to tell them we were going some place, since I knew I would be packing around them, but I didn’t want to tell them we were going to MI. Our whole family lives in MI, including their other aunts, grandparents and cousins are and I didn’t want to have them sad that they weren’t seeing them. Anyways, we always drive to Denver the night before a flight and I plan to surprise them at the hotel the morning of the flight. I’m not quite sure what to say to let them know, so if you have any ideas, I would welcome them. I do have quite a few Disney songs in mind for playing in the background while I tell them and I have new matching Minnie Dresses for them. I also have a bunch of Disney books, art activities, a Prince Charming and Snow White Barbie set, and a new game for their leappads to make the flight more fun.

As for the locations, our first night will be at the… BAY LAKE TOWERS! Theme Park view – I have been scoping out room numbers and requested a high floor with a room ending in 16 or 22 with the hopes of getting a GREAT view. The rest of our trip will be at OKW in the Hospitality House region. Love both, but I am super excited for watching Wishes in our room in our PJs. In both cases we have a dedicated two bedroom which is amazing. After staying in that Grand Villa last year, DVC has seriously spoiled me!

As for our plans, we are not doing the dining plan this go round, except for our short stay at BLT where we will be doing the deluxe dining plan. So this means beyond our four ADR’s we will not be tied down to a specific park. We have a general idea of what we would like to do based on various site’s recommendations but it is going to be great to have some flexibility. With two little girls we do plan on taking afternoon breaks for naps and swimming.

In terms of ADR’s we have Chef Mickey’s on our arrival evening and CRT for the next night. After that we don’t do another table service until a few days later when we try to see Illuminations at La Hacienda, and then we finish up with a lunch ADR at Les Chef de France and some Wishes Dessert Buffet action. I’m pretty excited about not being tied down to dining reservations…
So there you have it… a trip over a year in the making. I can’t wait to surprise my girls and I am so excited for this trip, even more than I was for the end of the school year. I’m very excited to share my trip with all of you….

Back in '07, I surprised 2 of our 3 boys (the oldest one was 15 at the time - no way I was fooling him!). I got them all the way to the front desk at the Contemporary before they knew we were going to go to WDW & stay there. (We live in MI, btw.) They were young, very inexperienced & gullible, lol. We went on a plane ride b/c we'd never done that before. We took a bus ride to look at WDW while we waited for our return flight time. The kindly lady behind the check in desk asked them if they'd like to spend 5 days there, lol. It was awesome!

Good luck to you in your surprise. Can't wait to hear how it goes! Oh, and have an AWESOME time!

Sounds like so much fun! Can't wait to hear how the surprise goes!

I know - it will be an awesome fun time!

Good luck to you in your surprise. Can't wait to hear how it goes! Oh, and have an AWESOME time!

Thanks! I'm still trying to sort out how to surprise them.... I thought I would wake them up with Disney music, but then I thought they should be awake and not sleepy when I tell them...

Can't wait...only 8 more sleeps....

Tell me about it... After all that planning it's almost here, Mom! I just need to remind my self that we have another trip planned (albeit in 2014) so I don't get too sad after it's over. I can't help thinking that we'll be there in just over a week, but in just over two weeks our trip will be done! Sigh. The pitfalls of being Disney Obsessed!

So looking forward to hearing about how you tell your girls and their reactions. The wait has been agonizing for my upcoming trip too, only one more sleep for me though! Wishes in PJ's sounds like so much fun!

We surprised our kids the morning of the flight. We stabbed a giant knife into their door with a note written on a pirates map from CAPTAIN HOOK inviting them to Disney World personally. They loved it. Cant wait to see how you surprise your girls. We are surprising our kids with a trip this October and havent quite decided what to do yet....

How exciting. I love watching the videos where people surprise their kids. I though have no ability to keep things quiet. So no chance of a surprise like this for my kiddos.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter