We're going back! But they're teens now...

floydfamily4

DIS Veteran
Hi all! I am so excited to be FINALLY :love: planning a trip back to WDW. The last time we went was when my twins were turning 5. This November they turn 13 and we are going to WDW in May 2018. I have such wonderful memories of that first trip with them and want us all to have a fantastic time this trip. But I am aware that not only have my children changed but WDW has changed over these years. Tier 1 versus tier 2 o_O If you would be willing to share your top 3 bits of advice/strategies for this trip I would truly appreciate it. A couple of family/trip details to help you: J & J are boy/girl twins and generally have a good attitude and great behavior. Except when their hormones take over and I want to kill them or they want to kill each other :hippie:. Of course DH and I are also older so keep that in mind :snail:. We will be staying 1st night at campground and the rest of the week at a timeshare close to property. We will have a car and 6 day non-hopper passes. We do have an interest in every park. I'm so excited to have this trip confirmed but now I need help please :hyper2:

Since you are staying at the campground the first night, you'll be able to make FPs at 60 days. Since your kids are teens, maybe dinner at Trails End.
AK FP--FoP, EE, KRR
HS--TSMM, rope drop RnR, ToT
MK--3 mountains
Epcot--Soarin, Spaceship Earth, mission space, rope drop TT

Give them a Disney gift card to spend as they please. It's a lesson in budgeting and prioritizing! When I tell the teens to spend "their own money" on the $6 frappacino at Starbucks, it's suddenly not an issue

Going to Disney with tween and teens is definitely a different experience, less Fantasyland and more roller coasters. I too second the idea to give them each a gift card. It's amazing how they will curb their appetite for junk food and throwaway souvenirs when they have to spend their own money.

It's so funny because one of the best bits of advice I received when they were little was the idea of taking a picture in the gift shop and then letting them choose at the end of the trip what one or two things they really wanted. Now I think the idea of a gift card may be the older kid version of that idea! Thanks. We will definitely be using this one. They are excited about the coasters they were too little to ride last time.

Since you are staying at the campground the first night, you'll be able to make FPs at 60 days. Since your kids are teens, maybe dinner at Trails End.
AK FP--FoP, EE, KRR
HS--TSMM, rope drop RnR, ToT
MK--3 mountains
Epcot--Soarin, Spaceship Earth, mission space, rope drop TT

Give them a Disney gift card to spend as they please. It's a lesson in budgeting and prioritizing! When I tell the teens to spend "their own money" on the $6 frappacino at Starbucks, it's suddenly not an issue
Can you tell me what is FoP and KRR? Those are the only abbreviations I am unsure of in your response. Thanks!

FoP is Flight of Passage
KRR is Kali River Rapids

I just want to clarify when your 60-day FP booking window opens, you’ll be able to book FPs for your Check-in day and checkout day. Then, you’ll have to wait until 60 days out for each offsite park day... your FP window rolls forward 1 day at a time.

It's so funny because one of the best bits of advice I received when they were little was the idea of taking a picture in the gift shop and then letting them choose at the end of the trip what one or two things they really wanted. Now I think the idea of a gift card may be the older kid version of that idea! Thanks. We will definitely be using this one. They are excited about the coasters they were too little to ride last time.
The one thing I don't miss about traveling with little people is worrying if they are tall enough for certain rides.

As you know, teens have their own sort of meltdowns - I'd try to plan in a day of non-park activities because the go, go, go of the theme parks may get to be a bit much after a few days. Some ideas that do not keep you on a time schedule and offer a nice break are mini golf, pool time, shopping/dining at DS.

At 13 I'd give the kids a pretty long leash to do some things on their own (provided you're cool with that.) If they want to do thrill rides repeatedly for several hours, let 'em have at it. If your kids are "Disney kids" I think you'll find they'll still love it. I'm a father of twin girls who are now in their 30s, but there was never a time when they didn't love WDW. :earsboy:

I have two boys going and they are 14 and 17. The 17 year old outgrew disney about 2-3 years ago and I gave him a choice to go or not this time and he didn't want to stay home alone. So he's coming. The biggest advice I have is the problem I had last year with one of them. My DH and I get up early and go! We don't want to waste time sleeping, we can sleep at home. My DS wanted to sleep in. DH made him get up. No good. Father/Son conflicts all week about sleeping in until noon, didn't go so well. So I would recommend having a discussion with all going as to who is 'allowed' to sleep in, what are the expectations of wake up times, can he meet you in the park later on his own , etc.
My other tip, if you can afford it in your budget, is to enjoy one dessert party. My teen boys loved it.

If your kids are game for Rope Drop, make sure you get there early enough for park opening, so you can get a lot done in those first couple of hours. Alternatively, depending on the parks' hours, you can try to aim for later nights and reserve your FP+ selections for sometime in the afternoon, when the parks are busiest. If you do decide to Rope Drop, it's great to have that middle-of-the-day break to get away from the heat, take in some pool time, or even nap. All that fun can be exhausting!

At MK, you'll want to take advantage of the 4th, 5th, (maybe) 6th "rolling" Fastpass, after you use your first 3, since you can secure a lot of popular attractions (like Pirates and Haunted Mansion) later on in the day. This isn't usually as successful at the other parks, though it can be at AK.

Make a few dining reservations for places you think they'll like. I have a 12- and 14-year old, and they love Via Napoli in Epcot, and 50s Primetime Cafe at Hollywood Studios. Just a fun environment, with good food. You might want to look at Sci-Fi Diner, too, which can be a fun experience for kids.

My kids love the two water parks, but I understand it's not included in your ticket. Nonetheless, it really isn't a bad idea to take a "break" day somewhere in the middle of your vacation. If you don't stay away from the parks altogether, maybe try not to pack in quite as much, at least. :-)

I hope you guys have an amazing trip!! :earsgirl:

My teens liked the water parks more than the theme parks. Wish I had planned one more day at Blizzards Beach and one less at theme parks.

Hi all! I am so excited to be FINALLY :love: planning a trip back to WDW. The last time we went was when my twins were turning 5. This November they turn 13 and we are going to WDW in May 2018. I have such wonderful memories of that first trip with them and want us all to have a fantastic time this trip. But I am aware that not only have my children changed but WDW has changed over these years. Tier 1 versus tier 2 o_O If you would be willing to share your top 3 bits of advice/strategies for this trip I would truly appreciate it. A couple of family/trip details to help you: J & J are boy/girl twins and generally have a good attitude and great behavior. Except when their hormones take over and I want to kill them or they want to kill each other :hippie:. Of course DH and I are also older so keep that in mind :snail:. We will be staying 1st night at campground and the rest of the week at a timeshare close to property. We will have a car and 6 day non-hopper passes. We do have an interest in every park. I'm so excited to have this trip confirmed but now I need help please :hyper2:

Our teens love late EMH at MK. If your night at the campground has this- I highly recommend it. It was so much fun being in the park really late and we slept in the next day and had late fast passes. Much different then when they were little- we always did early morning hours when they were little and never evenings.

Allow them to help with planning. Show You Tube videos of rides. Let them sleep in and do later nights. FP coasters. Don't discount their desire to ride a nostalgic ride from when they were five and don't laugh at what they choose. Expect ******* between the two of them but don't be suprised by unexpected moments of love and affection between them either.

My two (DD and DS were 18 months apart. At 9 and 11 they pretty much followed what I planned and did what I told them we would do. It was our first trip. Each had their own personality and likes and dislikes but they liked my commando plan with short waits and tidbits of information I provided from guidebooks etc. At 13 and 14, they wanted to be part of the plan. They each got $50 gift cards to spend (I planned the meals with their input). We only had 4 day base tickets so one park per day. One day at each of the parks. I let them split up for certain things (DD liked shows, DS coasters). I have great memories but there was still a meltdown or two.

I have two boys going and they are 14 and 17. The 17 year old outgrew disney about 2-3 years ago and I gave him a choice to go or not this time and he didn't want to stay home alone. So he's coming. The biggest advice I have is the problem I had last year with one of them. My DH and I get up early and go! We don't want to waste time sleeping, we can sleep at home. My DS wanted to sleep in. DH made him get up. No good. Father/Son conflicts all week about sleeping in until noon, didn't go so well. So I would recommend having a discussion with all going as to who is 'allowed' to sleep in, what are the expectations of wake up times, can he meet you in the park later on his own , etc.
My other tip, if you can afford it in your budget, is to enjoy one dessert party. My teen boys loved it.

Let those teens sleep in a little. At that age, they will probably want to ride the thrill rides over and over again and the best time to do that is at night.

Even when mine were little I found it much easier to let them stay up late than to make them get up early.

Hey, we are heading back with our twins too. Last time we went (5 years ago) our kids were 6, 6, and 9. Now they are 11, 11, and 14.

One tip for you: We searched through our old photos to find ones we can recreate. Pictures in front of recognizable buildings and the like. We are going to try to recreate these pics this go around (5 years later). Who knows, maybe we'll do the same thing 5 years from now too!

Ok first off, if you're staying at the campground you need to have dinner at the Hoop Dee Doo Review, even my teens enjoy this family fun dinner show! I agree with the others, while rope drop worked before, most teens need to sleep in now or else :mad: ! My girls do well with a 'down' day too; maybe pool time, Disney Springs or explore a resort; too much park time can take it's toll on everyone. Also, have 1:1 time with each child. Maybe take your daughter to Afternoon Tea at the Garden View Tea Room (Grand Floridian) or something special with your son (I don't know what boys enjoy o_O). Anyhoo I know that it's always nice to have quality time with each child (no bickering :tongue:). Even the planning/anticipation of the trip will be fun; Disney movie nights, countdowns and Disney trivia games. Let the magic begin!

Let those teens sleep in a little. At that age, they will probably want to ride the thrill rides over and over again and the best time to do that is at night.

Even when mine were little I found it much easier to let them stay up late than to make them get up early.
Thanks for the advice! My kids are early risers (leave on school days by 6:50a) so I think doing rope drop won't be too much of an issue but I will ask them. They certainly have an opinion :crazy:

Hey, we are heading back with our twins too. Last time we went (5 years ago) our kids were 6, 6, and 9. Now they are 11, 11, and 14.

One tip for you: We searched through our old photos to find ones we can recreate. Pictures in front of recognizable buildings and the like. We are going to try to recreate these pics this go around (5 years later). Who knows, maybe we'll do the same thing 5 years from now too!
Love this idea!

One thing we found that we really enjoyed on our family trips as our son got older was the freedom (for us!) that came from allowing him to go off on his own. It was nice to enjoy family time when we were all together doing things but it was also fun for my DH and I to be able to spend some "couple time" at WDW. We could eat places our son wasn't interested in, do some of the rides he found kind of boring, etc. It also allowed him to spend hours riding Space Mountain over and over again without us sitting around and waiting for him (that ride is too jerky for us). We would check in with him via text several times a day and then we had specific times and places that we met - usually for a TS meal.

I agree with letting your teens sleep in. We always stay on property so it is a bit easier to let our son do what he wants to do as far as his schedule. Some days he wants to sleep in when we want to rope drop. He loves to stay at the parks until they close while we prefer to head back early. It was great because he could just hop on WDW transportation by himself - he didn't have to leave at the same time in the morning and he could stay later at night and just take the WDW transportation back.

We also found that our son started to really love spending more time at the water parks as he got older, he always wanted at least one or two water park days. He also didn't mind "wasting" time hopping from park to park - he liked trying to fit as many of the bigger rides in as possible even if that meant spending a lot of time on WDW transportation in order to get there (was not uncommon for him to do all 4 parks in one day so he could do the rides he wanted). My DH and I preferred to stay in one park and enjoy all of it.

You will have a great time with your teens!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter