We're driving down to Disney-Need some advice

punkin

<font color=purple>Went through pain just to look
On the way down, we are taking I95. It is the shortest and fastest. However, on the way back, we are going around 4th of July so I am afraid of horrendous traffic (like we had last year). I was looking online and it looks like we can go through Greensboro, NC, up to Charlottesville, VA (and I know how to get home from there). Has anyone ever done this? Does it make any sense?

You are probably referring to the Hwy 220 (73/74/whatever it is called now) route up to Greensboro (GSO).
Some people say it is faster to do that to and from GSO, when getting down to I-95. But, if you factor in that segment, then another driving connection to get to Charlottesville, I don't think you will save any time at all. Probably will add time.

I would suggest having that route mapped out, and be ready to take it, if I-95 becomes too much of a problem. Otherwise, I'd say stick to I-95.

punkin: I go this way often since I live near Greensboro--I think you will find that 220 (from I-95 to Greensboro) is not the best road to go to avoid traffic over the 4th--very crowded, and there are several miles of two lane roadways that really bog traffic down; they are also doing a lot of construction work (to make the highway 4 lanes) and that sometimes affects traffic.

Mapquest sometimes routes people off of I-95 onto I-26, then I-77 to I-85 to Greensboro--that might work for you--maybe to stay on I-77 til VA.

I am trying all possible routes. I was stuck on I95 last year from Richmond to DC. It was a parking lot. What should have been a wo hour trip turned into an 7 hour ordeal. I just can't do that again. I thought going through Greensboro would be a viable alternate.

What part of Md are you from. West of Frederick or close by I would go to I26 to I77 to I81 to Hagerstown you will avoid a lot of traffic on I95. I live in Western MD. and have quit traveling 95 because of the parking lot trips from Fredericksburg to Richmond.:mad:

What part of Md are you from. West of Frederick or close by I would go to I26 to I77 to I81 to Hagerstown you will avoid a lot of traffic on I95. I live in Western MD. and have quit traveling 95 because of the parking lot trips from Fredericksburg to Richmond.:mad:

I am right off of 270 but very close to DC (exit 4). I think it makes more sense for us to double back towards the east than go through the nightmare on I95 coming back. We are leaving this Friday and I have no choice but to take I95 down because we are picking DH up in DC at work (one block from the White House). I can just imagine Friday afternoon Traffic out of DC :scared1:

DH promissed to be out by noon through so we MIGHT miss the worst of it.

We have driven to WDW and other points south from Charlottesville many, many times (including last week). After trying several different options, we have concluded that the best route back from WDW is as follows:

I-4 to I-95
Stay on I-95 until I-26 in SC around Exit 85
Take I-26 to Columbia
Around Columbia, get on I-77 North to Charlotte
In Charlotte, take I-85 to Greensboro
In Greensboro, take 29 North all the way to Charlottesville

29 is not an interstate, but there are few traffic lights or other slowdowns anywhere between Greensboro and Charlottesville since they opened the bypass around Lynchburg. Most of the way, the speed limit is 65 or 60, with a few places where it drops to 55.

If you are continuing to suburban DC, 29 will take you directly up to 66 in Gainesville. Also, depending on your tolerance for tractor-trailers, you may want to stay on 77 until it intersects 81 in Virginia, rather than getting on 85 in Charlotte. 81 will take you up to 66. I personally would take 29 rather than 81, but 81 could be a little faster depending on the time of day and the day of the week.

Have a great trip!

We live in Northern VA, very near the intersection of I-66 and Route 29. Last Sunday we came back from Chapel Hill NC on Route 29 and it was GREAT! Very little traffic and 4 lane all the way from Lynchburg (we took Route 86 from Chapel Hill to Lynchburg which was 2 lane). Even with the slower 2 lane travel, it only took us 15 minutes more than a normal trip via I-95. We wanted to avoid the "racetrack" on just a non-holiday Sunday afternoon so I know what you mean about looking for alternatives on July 4! If you go 29, you'd still have to I-66 east to the Beltway but wouldn't think that would be too bad, it's 8 lane almost all the way out to Gainesville now....
We did take I-95 on the way down and took 264 around Richmond. Smooth sailing and very little traffic so would recommend that if you haven't tried it already....
Have a good trip!

This is great guys. Thaks so much. I will definately take your suggestions and drive the back way. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!