We're Bringing Who To WDW!? OR Trying To Break the Curse! !

SunnieRN

DIS Veteran
Well, I swore I would never write another pre-trip report. But I am so overwhelmed that I think this may be the best way to keep me sane until we leave!! First a little background and then I will introduce part of the cast, as well as the curse.

We have a really hard time getting to WDW. We have been to Disneyland multiple times (over 50 for me and almost 30 for my daughter). We went to WDW for the first time last September. We stayed at SOG, as my son in law is in the US Army. Bye the way, I am not so fond of the Army.;)

We loved SOG. The rooms are HUGE, clean, nicely decorated and affordable. It really has the feel of a disney deluxe property, and it used to be one. One thing we didn't enjoy so much was the employees. There is a vast difference between the employees at SOG and the Disney cast members. When we walked from SOG to the poly, we were surprised at how many similarities there were. Same type of flooring, both had a water fall, very comfortable lobbies. After that not so much the same.

After three days, we were in the poly lobby after we ate at capn cookes for lunch. Well, we walked by the DVC desk....... That was all it took. We saw the AKV models and fell in love. Hard!

Since that time we did a small AK add on, a b,l,t, add on and we are done for at least a few years.:) Since then we have planned/reserved/cancelled about 5 wdw trips. I bet you can guess the reason for the cancellations?! Yep...the U.S. Army I am not so fond of.

We did go back over Easter for my son in laws R&R from Iraq. We had the trip planned for May, concierge/developer point mix with deluxe dining. Well in March Travis called to tell us his R&R was changed to April, over EASTER!:scared1: So we did what any disappointed dis'er would do....got on the phone immediately to try to work out a trip over Easter.

Travis, Rachel and the boys were at wdw for 18 days and I joined them for the last nine days. We couldn't get any dining reservations, except two, so we changed to QS. Since then we have cancelled a July trip, our December/Christmas trip and are barely holding on to our February concierge trip.

Now for this trip. We will be traveling August 21-29. That just changed today bye the way It was going to be the 22-29. Next post will be introductions and it will get a wee bit more interesting I hope!

So, why this pre trip report?? Because part of the cast of characters will be my ex-husband and his girlfriend!! Hence the need to stay sane somehow.:rolleyes1

I wont be posting pictures of my ex or his girlfriend in this post as I have not asked their permission. Also, if I have to ask there permission, I may not be able to say what I really want to say, so I'll see how this goes the next few weeks and maybe I'll be able to ask after all.:lmao:

So, now on to who I can introduce. If you read my last pre trip report you know I was VERY sick prior to our trip. I almost didn't want to go as I was feeling so horrible. Infortunately it never got better as the trip progressed. I just kept getting sicker and sicker. Since I don't have even a hint of anything right now, I will tempt the Gods, whoever those disney gods may be and post this report!;)

First up is Rachel. She is a full time student, my daughter and Mommy to my two wonderful grandsons!! Since I don't have recent pictures uploaded to my notebook, these will be anywhere from 7 to 11 months old. Sorry, I will rectify that in future chapters!!

Rachel cut her teeth going to Disneyland (we lived in CA). Her first trip was at 18 months old and she did GREAT!! She was an easy going toddler and loved everything, including the characters. She was mesmerized by the parade. It was country fair days, or something like that, and she won a pink stuffed bear all by herself!! Rachel rocks!!

100_0456-1.jpg

100_0462.jpg

These were both taken last September!! As you can see Lilo and Jacob had a true love fest goin' on!!

Next, the boys!!

Next up is Jacob!! He is 18 months old, went to wdw for the first time when he was 7 months old. This will be his THIRD trip!! Guess I brought up Rachel right.;)

100_0983.jpg

This is him with Daddy, as he was getting ready to deploy last Jan. He is his Mother reincarnated. This child has never met a stranger and KNOWS the world revolves around him. He is our comic relief and loves to dance to Imagination Movers, can do Steve's Blues Clues Dance and climbs as much as he walks. I love him, he makes me laugh!!

His big brother is Connor!! Connor is his Dad's mini me! It's amazing. Connor LOVES his computer. He went to wdw for the first time at 3 years and two weeks old. He cried when he couldn't ride EE, BTMRR and SM, He had a fantastic time! I was very pleasantly surprised, as he has some sensory issues. He is doing great this year though!! We just had to put him on a gluten free diet. Poor baby he misses a lot of his favorite things. This will be a new challenge for the trip! He amazes me with his reasoning skills! He go wii for his birthday and seems to like it so far!

This is my favorite picture of Connor as it wasn't even a EMH morning. Look how empty it is!!
100_0483-1.jpg

Travis wont be with us this trip, so that's the boys!!

Coming up next, me and the curse! Hmmm wonder if that foretells the true story?

Well, that leaves me.. I am older than dirt.:lmao: Actually I turned 52 last month. I moved to Texas to be close to Rachel and the boys when she was very newly pregnant with Jacob. We didn't even know at that point if he was a Jacob or a Jennifer. We thought that it would be nice for me to be around the boys and that I could hopefully help some when Travis is deployed. So, we bought a house and we all live together.

This is us watching the parade last September:

100_0274.jpg

This is really cute of Jacob!!
100_0481.jpg

Now for the curse. I don't know of too many people who change plans, cancel trips, or invite their ex's to wdw. I can honestly say that this trip would never have included them if it were not for his girlfriend! Becca is the most wonderful person in the world!! We had invited them to go on the trip in May. They wanted to see Travis, as well as the fact that they have never been to wdw. They live in CA. I', sure you all know how hard CA has been hit by the recession. Well, first they were going, then they couldn't afford it. We told them we would change dining plans to QS, their only expense along with airfare as they were going to stay on our points at SSR and we were going to get their military ticets. They just didn't feel the time was right.

Well, we ended up having to re-arrange things anyway, and they couldn't go in April. Rhen they were going to go with us in December. No go, they suddenly couldn't afford that either.

Hmmm Becca said, we could go in September though!! This was Rachels response:cool1::thumbsup2:banana:, then she said, "As long as you're going Rebecca."

This was my response:scared1::rolleyes1:rolleyes:. The reason for that response......we are staying at AKV and they only had our 1-bedroom available! THERE ARE NO STUDIOS available!:faint:. Ummm ahhhh alrighty then.

So, first shock over. Sleeping arrangements. Alright, Rachel, Jacob and I are sleeping in the bedroom, Connor on the pull-out chair and Rebecca and Vidal will be on the fold out couch. Alrighty then........

Now, we had dining plans made for deluxe dining. It was all arranged. Then we found out they could afford it, but wouldn't really have any fun money. So.....guess what? Yeppers QS for us. Since it's going to be food and wine during the last few days of our trip that actually sounds very do-able anyway!

So, pick a curse, any curse. Plague or pestulance, we;ve experienced it all.;)

I'll try to upload some newer pictures tomorrow or the next day!!!

I"m in.... popcorn:: I"m a little confused tho... are you heading out august 2010? If so, My cousin and I will be too!!! I"m so excited...

I can't wait to hear about your ADR's.... Keep the photos coming.

I"m in.... popcorn:: I"m a little confused tho... are you heading out august 2010? If so, My cousin and I will be too!!! I"m so excited...

I can't wait to hear about your ADR's.... Keep the photos coming.

Sorry I confused you! We are going in 23 days!!!! I wish I was going to be there when you are!! Loving your trip report bye the way! Thanks for stopping by!!!:)

We have a ton of reservations (we were going to do deluxe), so now its just deciding what to keep and what to give away to dis'ers!!:goodvibes

Thought I would join in seeing you were kind enough to read some of my trip report :)

How nice you were able to move in with your daughter to help out. My family live in New Zealand 24 hours away and my inlaws live in Scotland 6 hours away. It was hard when my first was born not having help close by. Still difficult now sometimes but I have made some great friends so if need be I can still get a babysitter occassionally.

Kirsten

Sorry I confused you! We are going in 23 days!!!! I wish I was going to be there when you are!! Loving your trip report bye the way! Thanks for stopping by!!!:)

We have a ton of reservations (we were going to do deluxe), so now its just deciding what to keep and what to give away to dis'ers!!:goodvibes

DELUXE... I cannot wait to hear which restaurants you chose for your ADR"s.

Hey I just noticed you started this:woohoo: The accomadations do sound as if things could get a bit interesting:rolleyes1 However, it's Disney World and I'm sure you'll have a great time. If the room gets too small you can always head out to the balcony and look at the animals, right and at least you got the king size bed;) Anyway, can't wait to hear more details about your plans.:goodvibes

Thought I would join in seeing you were kind enough to read some of my trip report :)

How nice you were able to move in with your daughter to help out. My family live in New Zealand 24 hours away and my inlaws live in Scotland 6 hours away. It was hard when my first was born not having help close by. Still difficult now sometimes but I have made some great friends so if need be I can still get a babysitter occassionally.

Kirsten

Thank you!!!:goodvibes Actually I am the lucky one as I get to be with my grandchildren!!!

DELUXE... I cannot wait to hear which restaurants you chose for your ADR"s.

Well, I will list the reservations we have, but I have no idea what we'll end up doing as we would need to pay for our "guests" dining and tips. We may HAVE to switch to basic.:upsidedow But, at least we'll still be at wdw!!!:banana:

Our trip was going to take place in June, no, wait a minute...August, no, October would be nicer, say around mid October. You know, maybe we should go for Christmas instead.....

Well all I can say is, if there is a blacklist at Member services, WE are on it. Maybe even at the top of the list. Between the army, toddlers, my daughters school and my work, we cancel more trips then we will ever be able to take. I am VERY sure our concierge Christmas cancellation made someone very happy! We're great at planning in advance. The army just decides to change things two or three months out, on a regular basis.

Travis was supposed to be able to go on this trip with us, but now that isn't working out

How, do you ask, did it end up with the cast of characters we have planned for this trip? Well my ex husband lives in CA. He only gets to see the boys once or twice a year. When Rachel started talking about taking he and Rebecca to wdw, I said, "Great, I'll just sit this trip out and you, Travis and the boys can go with your Dad and Becca."

Rachel came up with an alternative. Her idea, "You know Mom, we could all go. We could get a one bedroom at Kidani and we could get my Dad and Becca a studio at AK lodge".

Hmmm, now that actually sounded like a great idea!! I could have space away from my ex, but still see him interact with the boys, get some great pictures, see Rebecca whom I love to pieces. You know, that sounds pretty great!!;) Only thing is, Murphy raised his mighty head.

"Mom, I have to tell you something. There are not any studios available on our new dates. The only way this will work is to share a place."

"No problem Rachel, I'll just bow out of this trip."

"Mom, Travis can't go and I really need your help with the kids. I don't want to cancel on Dad and Becca again."

:scared1::sad2::eek::sick: Was my response!

You know I really love my daughter and my grandsons. I love them a lot. If I continue to focus on that, I may get through the week. Barring that, I'll run away from home!;)

Up next, our park schedule and the restaurants we have booked for deluxe dining, vs counter service.

Hey I just noticed you started this:woohoo: The accomadations do sound as if things could get a bit interesting:rolleyes1 However, it's Disney World and I'm sure you'll have a great time. If the room gets too small you can always head out to the balcony and look at the animals, right and at least you got the king size bed;) Anyway, can't wait to hear more details about your plans.:goodvibes

Well thank you for stopping by!! I hate to say I don't have the same flair you do for a great story, but I think it is a bit peculiar anyway!!

I must say that I am VERY happy that we will be at AKV!! Not only will we have great views, but there are a lot of fantastic common areas where I can "escape" if need be! There are also 2 bathrooms!!!:cool1:

More plans coming up!!

BREAKING NEWS! ! ! !

Rachel just gave me a great surprise!!! We are not leaving on the 22nd. We are leaving on August 21!! We are spending a night at The Wilderness Lodge Villas, before we transfer to AKV!!! It is another place I have always wanted to stay!!! Since I lived my life in CA until a couple of years ago, it reminds me of home! Have I told you how wonderful my daughter is??:love::cloud9:

Since we are arriving on the 21st now, we will be able to do something with the kids that afternoon. We figure a great idea would be to head on the boat to the magic kingdom! We will probably be tired, but three or four hours will give us a taste of the week to come!

I think we will eat at Pinnochios Village Haus, as they have gluten free pizza for Connor. I was pleasantly surprised that a lot of disney restaurants have gluten free choices! For counter service, you don't even have to let them know ahead of time. How cool is that?!

Our plan is to head back to the wilderness lodge and watch the fireworks from the beach. If we find ourselves too tired to go to the magic kingdom (in other words if the kids are too worn out), we will just relax, swim and maybe go to the sing along! I am so excited that I will get to see this resort! Rachel is most excited about seeing the lobby of the wilderness lodge!!

Up later, our plans for day 2!!!

Either way,, it is sure to be a fun day!!

:rotfl: i have the feeling this is going to get good! popcorn:: im in it for the long haul! with all the arranging and re-arranging ... cancelling and changing! :laughing:

:rotfl: i have the feeling this is going to get good! popcorn:: im in it for the long haul! with all the arranging and re-arranging ... cancelling and changing! :laughing:

Welcome and thank you so much for joining in!! To be quite honest I have NO idea how this will all turn out, but a week at disney is worth all the stress of getting there!! Now, if it will be worth dealing with my ex? Hmmmm it will take time to figure that one out!!;)

Hopefully this will overcome our trip cancelling curse for now.........

Well, not sure if this is interesting to anyone, but I will keep up with is as it will help me remember what I want to photograph for my trip report! Also we are 1/2 day park goers most of the time. (This will change when the boys get older).

This trip, since it is our first trip "home", it will be extra special!

I am such a disney geek. I drive my poor daughter crazy with dis "stuff"! She is the ultimate planner, very organized, but I am the one up at the bottom crack of dawn to make dining reservations!! I am also the obsessive packer. I am the wierdo who puts each days outfit in a zip lock bag. I also have an undies bag. Hmmm oh thats right, I have a toiletries bag, oh and a bag for pins, (although I very rarely ever trade anymore as the last few I ended up with scrappers), a bag for my artificial sweetner (as I am a snob and only use the blue stuff). There is also crystal light packs in there for counter service water.;) Ok, now that I've admitted one of my problems, you need to know that I also bought my laundry supplies for this trip about 2 months ago.:lmao: There is really a great advantage in having a washer and dryer handy with two young boys!!

Hmmm I'm starting to really understand how monotonous I sound. This is actually a bit scary. So, on with the pre trip report and away from compulsive packing.

On Sept. 22, which was supposed to be our arrival day, we now get to have an entire disney day!!!!!! Rachel and I tried to come up with a good plan for this day, but we still have a few loose ends.

Since we have annual passes, we do have an advantage as far as not worrying about 1/2 days or even just a few hours in the parks. This comes into play and prevents a lot of frustration when the boys get too tired or when things are way over the top crowded! (Think Easter week last April:scared1:)

Since we are spending the afternoon in MK the day before, we will be trying to ride Buzz, COP, POTC, HM, JC and if there sre any fast passes left when we arrive, prpbably about 1, we will fastpass a fantasyland ride and try to get on one or two that have a decently short wait time.

Since we live in central TX, we are somewhat used to the heat, but this will probably be all we will feel up to in the afternoon sun.

As I said yesterday, since Connor is newly diagnosed celiac, we have him on a gluten free diet. Since they have gluten free pizza at Pinnochios, we will most likely eat there. We haven't eaten there yet as on our past two teips we ate at cosmic rays and columbia harbour house. They have choices at cosmic rays, but Connor loves pizza!! I am truly amazed at how many choices there are for treats at main street bakery also. We are also bringing some cinnamon rice chex for a snack as he loves that, and he can have the ice cream served at wdw, fruit, chocolate (which he doesn't eat much of) and rice crispy treats!:goodvibes

After this, we plan on exploring the WL and villas, swimming and watching the fireworks from the beach.

Onto the next morning!! Since we will be at VWL, we debated about what we should do. So far we are leaning toward, checking out of VWL, taking a taxi to AKV (so we can bring our carry ons), check in and hit epcot. We figure this should be a good plan as Connor isn't 40" tall yet, so the rides we will ride are the less crowded ones.

Rachel is anxious to check the vynylmation mickeys at mousegears (I think). We will take the boys on Nemo, to talk to Crush, to Innovations (our first time there), club cool (another first), Figment (one of Connors favorites!!! We will probably stay on and ride this twice he likes it so much and they let us do that last time).

It should be lunch time by now. With Connor our choice today will probably be sunshine seasons. He can have their chicken and he likes it. They will also bake him french fries to prevent cross contamination. I'm not sure what desserts he can have here, but I think they would have ice cream or fruit they could give him.

Next it's back to AKV. Hopefully our room will be ready so Rachel and Connor can rest a bit. They will be going to MNSSHP!!! :cool1::woohoo: It will be a special time, just for the two of them!! Grandma gets special Jacob time. I think I will bring him to the kiddie pool or to see the animals this evening!

Here is where our yet unknown factor comes in to play. If we do deluxe dining we have reservations at Sanaa. We have our reservation for 5:00 and Vidal and Beccas is for 7:30, as that should be about an hour after there expected arrival. (Yep, the baby and I will be the only ones there to greet them).

If we decide to go with QS, Rachel and Connor will eat at MNSSHP, Jacob and I will have some snacks, and upon Vidal and Beccas arrival we will either go to Mara or DTD to WPEC for dinner. Now, Jacob knows me well and we get along well, but I'm not sure how he will handle being without Mom and Connor after this long, so I'm thinking Mara may be the safest bet. Just in case he has a meltdown, we are "close to home."

So the factors involved include deluxe vs QS and happiness vs meltdowns. Adult and Toddlers!!!

We were half day trippers as well. Well 3/4 days really, we would go for opening and then head home about 3.00/4.00 depending on how kids were going and how busy the parks were.

We would have a relax in the when we got back, maybe a swim and then dinner and bed for the kids. Saved us from cranky kids and therefore cranky me.

I am not strict with the kids routine we do go with the flow on occasion but it is so much more relaxing if they are getting the right amount of sleep.

We tried going back after a big nap when we were at Disneyland recently and didn't find the crowds had got any smaller if anything they were busier so we only did that the once.

Kirsten

So look who decided to do a PTR afterall???? :rotfl: Good for you. :thumbsup2 I had no idea there was so much drama surrounding your trip. You are a good sport for staying with the x and his wife.

How exciting that you are getting to arrive a day early and you are checking out WLV. Nice!

You grandsons are adorable. Very, very cute.

Can't wait to read more.

We were half day trippers as well. Well 3/4 days really, we would go for opening and then head home about 3.00/4.00 depending on how kids were going and how busy the parks were.

We would have a relax in the when we got back, maybe a swim and then dinner and bed for the kids. Saved us from cranky kids and therefore cranky me.

I am not strict with the kids routine we do go with the flow on occasion but it is so much more relaxing if they are getting the right amount of sleep.

We tried going back after a big nap when we were at Disneyland recently and didn't find the crowds had got any smaller if anything they were busier so we only did that the once.

Kirsten

You know, it always seems that way at Disneyland. Even if it rains people don't leave!! I was the queen of 8 a.m. until closing park days in years past, but now with my grandsons and DVC we take a much easier going path to prevent meltdowns!! Your plan souns like us, we leave the parks anywhere from 1-4.:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

So look who decided to do a PTR afterall???? :rotfl: Good for you. :thumbsup2 I had no idea there was so much drama surrounding your trip. You are a good sport for staying with the x and his wife.

How exciting that you are getting to arrive a day early and you are checking out WLV. Nice!

You grandsons are adorable. Very, very cute.

Can't wait to read more.

Thank you Mary Ellen, I'm a bit partial toward them.:goodvibes

I gave in to my need to talk about the REAL stress I am feeling about this trip!! I don't feel like I am a good sport at all. I love Rebecca though, so that goes far in my acceptance of the situation.;):lmao:

I am so excited about WLV!! Thank you so much for your sweet comments, and stopping by!!!! I figured my usual pre-trip, trip writing curse might have actually come in handy if it kept me home for this one.....but alas, doesn't look like it is going to happen this time.

So up to this point we will have had a few hours in the MK and a few hours at Epcots future world.

Now we are a party of 6. The plan for this day is the MK. Our plan is to be there before rope drop!! We love the opening show and want to make sure our guests have a chance to see and enjoy it!!

I think we will start in fantasyland, as grandpa will want to see the boys ride the kiddie rides. We also want to make sure we hit basics since grandpa hasn't been to disneyland in about 20 years and Becca has only done short 1/2 day visits there. So, for us it will be: COP, JC, HM, Country Bears, Buzz, Monsters Inc laugh floor, Philharmagic (which they of course have not seen) in addition to the fantasyland area.

If we stick with deluxe dining, we have 2 TS reservations. Lunch at LTT and dinner at Konas. If we switch to basic we will keep one of these and eat at Cosmic Rays for our other meal.

I'm really torn on what to do about this. With Connors dietary changed his appetite is wishy washy, to say the least. I really think that for him, at this point, that QS will be the better way to go, with a couple of TS meals thrown in.

One thing I am really impressed by is Disneys policy on food allergies or intollerances, special diets etc. In the greater picture it will be easier to feed Connor at WDW on a GF diet than it is at home!! Almost ALL of the QS locations have GF choices and at TS restaurants, if you talk to them ahead of time they will make sure to have things he can eat!! It's hard to find GF products in our town, so we are finding we need to go the mail order route. Disney will really give us a nice break from this!!

Sorry...back on topic. If we eat at Konas, we want to watch the fireworks from the beach at the poly. If we switch to basic or QS we will probably stay until the kids let us know it's time to leave and go to DTD this evening after a break and swim. Either way I am really lloking forward to this day as Connor loves his Papa and Becca, so he will be in HEAVEN!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter