My Journey to 50 miles (2nd attempt)... (comments welcome)

@rteetz Ryan, I've searched and can't find an exact answer so I'm hoping you can help. Do you need a park ticket to get into MK if you pay for the ChEAR squad?

In the past you haven't needed chear squad to view in MK. I've got to imagine we will still clear the park before it opens so I would venture to guess you won't need either chear squad or a park ticket to view in MK this year too.

Thanks for the replies guys!! I think we are gonna splurge and get the ChEAR squad. Since I'm gonna be awhile it might be nice for them to have a place to sit and be somewhat comfortable!!

Tuesday's run.

4.5 miles at EA

Have you ever questioned your own sanity when heading out for a run? Last night I had to do some serious soul searching before heading out. I had done my stretches and laced up my shoes and headed for the door. When I opened the door it was pouring.... now in the PNW it doesn't really pour down all that much. It usually only rains hard enough to keep your wipers on low. Well... last night it was pouring and I stood on the porch thinking if I really wanted to go get wet.. I did it, took the first step off the porch and got it done.

For the first mile or so, I really thought hard about why I was doing this. Why do I go our when it's hot, cold, rainy, cold and rainy, snowy, btw, I'll take the cold over the rain any day!! .... I could be like most guys my age and get back to that comfy sofa and relax. I never did really come up with a singular reason to do what I'm doing... rather a bunch of small reasons that drive me.

The run itself was pretty good. Paces were decent a touch fast, and the body felt ok. I've really been trying to think about how I'm running and if I'm doing what the trainer wanted. Hopefully I'll get a thumbs up from him on my next video. Stretched 3 full sessions.

11_12_19.PNG

Wednesday's run.

This run was such a disaster I hate the thought of even sharing it. But here it is.11_13_19.PNG

So here's what happened. First two miles were great! Everything felt good, ran my two 6 min intervals at CV, those felt good. Ran first R interval then slowed to my WU pace. After what seemed like an eternity I looked at the Garmin and realized I'd screwed up inputting my run. Instead of 200 METERS for my RI, I had put in 200 MILES!! UGH... Now Coach has been working me pretty good, but I don't think I'm up for a 200 mile run even at WU pace. So I double tapped the screen and did my second R interval. Then went to my RI for 90 sec and double tapped again. That seemed to be working ok but after my 3rd R interval, I realized I needed to get home ASAP if you know what I mean. I managed to hold things together for one more R and then finished running home. Missed out on two R runs and 1.6 miles at CD.

I'm not sure what was going on yesterday. I don't normally have any GI issues when I run in the afternoon. Frustrating to be sure.

Hoping for a better results tonight....

After what seemed like an eternity I looked at the Garmin and realized I'd screwed up inputting my run. Instead of 200 METERS for my RI, I had put in 200 MILES!! UGH... Now Coach has been working me pretty good, but I don't think I'm up for a 200 mile run even at WU pace

LOL!! I have done this before and kept thinking that was the longest 200M ever!

Weekend update:

So, I was supposed to do an EA run on Thursday but I my stomach wasn't up to it. So I switched it to Friday. Since this was an easy run I figured it would be OK. Friday, I wasn't feeling much better but I made sure I was completely empty before I left the house in hopes of not having a repeat of Wednesday's trouble. Friday's run came out ok I was a little fast on my paces and the weather made me question my sanity again.

Saturday was 7 miles at EB + strides. Again, a little fast on all of my splits but not horrible. Stomach issues continued but I was able to complete the run with no emergencies. Something to note, first set of strides seemed difficult to get going. Felt like I was trying to run through water!! Once again, the weather was not fun! Last year when I was getting up early to run, I can only remember a couple of rainy days. This year, I'm running in the afternoon and it sure seems like it rains a lot more!

Sunday was M Tempo run. Weather wise this was the best day out of them all. Cool but at least it wasn't raining!! Splits were a little fast again, but not horrible. Woke up this morning a little sore. But got that worked our pretty quickly.

Looking forward to an off day today. As of this morning, the stomach issues seem to be getting better. I sure hope so. 11_15_19.PNG11_16_19.PNG11_17_19.PNG

Only 7 more weeks of training..... Dopey is coming up quickly!! I must be a little concerned because I'm starting to have dreams about running..... weird.

Tuesday's run

Beautiful day for a run. Sunny when I started 51 almost dark when I finished, no wind, thank God. Fairly uneventful run.

Something did happen of note. I believe this is the first time I've kept my HR below 148 for an entire run. Even while running uphill for nearly .5 miles. This also kept my HR avg at 138. Pretty sure this is my lowest HR for any run of any distance. Not too shabby for an old man. I would like to think this means I'm getting fitter...

Anyway, paces were pretty dang good for a change and it was nice to get out and run in VERY nice weather!!

11_19_19.PNG

So... I have a sensitive question... body glide or bandaids? The recent cold/wet running conditions have developed into a problem that I haven't experienced up to this point.

Wednesday's run.

Another beautiful night for a run! Sunny and cool, very pleasant. Nothing too exciting. 5 miles at EB + strides. Only stretched one time yesterday. I really need to get better and more consistent with my stretching. Paces weren't terrible.11_20_19.PNG

Looking forward to tonight's HM Tempo run. It looks like a fast one! For me at least!!

Thursday's run

Sometimes when I look at a run that Coach has for me, I think to myself that there is no way I can do the run. Last night was one of those runs.

HM Tempo run =
0.5 mile WU + 5 x 1 mile @ HM Tempo w/ 0.2 mi RI @ WU + 0.5 mile
CD

I felt that I wasn't really ready for the new HM pace for any kind of distance. Turns out.... Maybe Coach knows my abilities better from 2k miles away than I know my own abilities. This turned out to be a fun run! I felt like I could have kept the HM pace up for a fair bit further. Could I run that pace for a full HM? Maybe! I guess that will remain to be seen in the future. But for now, I'm gonna enjoy my success and feeling of accomplishment.

Paces were decent. Looking forward to an easy run tonight!!

11_21_19.PNG

Fridays run

Another great evening for a run. Temp when I left the house was 46, dropped to 42 after the sun dipped behind the Olympics. 3 miles at EA, nothing extraordinary about the run. Paces were decent, run was just what I needed after a rather taxing day at work.

11_22_19.PNG

My niece who just recently moved out to the PNW wants to start running with me on the weekends. I told her that would be awesome but that I run pretty slow and she'll probably get bored with my paces. But she still wants to give it a shot. Sounds like fun to me!! She's a great kid who recently made Chief in the Navy and is deploying on subs as the corpsman. Which basically means she's the only medical care they will have while under way. Kind of a big responsibility for an enlisted person!! Proud of her for what she's managed to accomplish in life.

I have to work this weekend, so the runs on SAT and SUN will most likely be in the dark and I'll be exhausted even before I start them. Oh well, such is the life of a maintenance electrician.....

Saturdays run

As I suspected this was a tough run. After working all day and then having some errands to run after work, all I wanted to do was to relax on the sofa listen to some music or maybe a podcast...

So, I gave myself 10 min on the sofa to put my feet up and listen to some tunes. Then I got up, changed, stretched and headed out. Once I got started I felt pretty dang good about getting out there and getting it done. It was a great evening for a run! Temp was 48 or at least it said it was on my phone. But there was a weird warmish wind blowing. Not super hard, but more than just a breeze and it did make running into it like running uphill. It's weird living so close to the water. If the wind is coming off the sound it is usually cold!!! But this wind was coming from the south and it was oddly warm.

First and second miles were a little too fast but the other 5 seemed to be ok. I am a little sore this morning and I'm looking forward to next weeks easy plan.

11_23_19.PNG

But first I gotta tackle the 11 miles tonight!!! Hopefully I can get right out after work and get it done!

PS: to the kid that felt the need to yell derogatory names at an old man running down the sidewalk in the dark .... I really hope you feel better about yourself

Sunday's run.

After a long day at work, I went home, sat on the couch for 10 min, got up and decided sitting was a bad idea! Went in, changed, stretched, had my Maurten and headed out the door. Not going to lie, I was not looking forward to 11 miles after work. But the evening was pleasant and the sunset over the Olympics was amazing!! Once I got going it was no problem with the run. Well, nothing major really. At mile 9, when I needed to bump up to my M pace I was wasn't quite to the half-way point of my 1/2 mile hill. This was a butt kicker! I sped up and made it up to the top without dying.

Paces weren't horrible. Overall I think the run was a success!! Maybe a little too fast on some, especially the M pace.

11_24_19.PNG

Nutrition went well. Had the Maurten before the run, and had some tailwind at 45 min and 1:15. Probably should have had another sip at 1:45, but I was almost finished and was looking forward to dinner!!

So that concludes my highest mileage week so far!! Garmin has me at 36.35 miles!

The good news is that the left knee is feeling pretty good, even after the longer runs. Body is holding up fairly well overall. Some minor aches and pains but I don't think anything to be too concerned about. Stretching is definitely helping.

Looking forward to a relatively easy week!!

Tuesday's run.

The run itself was good. Paces were decent and the crisp evening was perfect!
I'm going to have to move Thursday's run to Friday. Last minute change of work and family plans aren't going to leave me much time to run on Turkey day. It's another EA run, so I think it's going to be ok. Thoughts Coach?

11_26_19.PNG

I must really be feeling the training, work, holidays etc....
Even though last nights run was EA I felt exhausted after it.

Gonna whine a little but it's really just notes for me to come back to about how I'm feeling.
I took a new position at work as the lead electrician. Before I took this job, there were 2 lead electricians. One retired and the other moved into management. Now guess who has to do the work of both? Yup, me.
In the maintenance department, the holidays mean work, work and more work for us. We turn off main feeders to the plant, clean and inspect all the equipment and put it all back together. It's a big task. Paperwork, coordinating with production, assigning teams... you get the picture. Well for the last 10 days or so, I've been doing my part of all this and still have all my other work to accomplish. The next month won't be any better, as we still have about a hundred substations to clean over the Christmas break.

I'm sure I'll feel a little relief after this weekend. At least I hope so.

I'm going to have to move Thursday's run to Friday. Last minute change of work and family plans aren't going to leave me much time to run on Turkey day. It's another EA run, so I think it's going to be ok. Thoughts Coach?

That works. It's a recovery week so no big deal moving it. Get ready for the last big push into the peak! Just know it's ok to pull back on pacing or duration if you're starting to get really worn down (especially with other life stressors).

That works. It's a recovery week so no big deal moving it. Get ready for the last big push into the peak! Just know it's ok to pull back on pacing or duration if you're starting to get really worn down (especially with other life stressors).
Thanks Billy! The running really helps with the stress... I'll be sure to manage my paces if needed!!

Wednesday's run

Another amazing evening for a run! Weather was in the low 40's when I started and upper 30's when I finished. Sunny when I started and got to enjoy a colorful sunset!

Does anyone else find running any distance at WU pace to be difficult? Not really so much from a physical standpoint but maybe it's mental. I find it nearly difficult to allow myself to go slow. I really found myself having to concentrate on keeping this pace down. Not that I'm not grateful for this run because it was just what I needed. Slow and easy, with just a touch of running. When I was finished, I felt good.

Anyway, the run itself wasn't too bad. Paces were fairly close with the GIANT exception of the 1 min I was supposed to be at 5k pace. I was way, way too fast on this.

11_27_19.PNG

Taking Turkey day off to work and spend the evening with family. Back to it tomorrow!!

Today being Thanksgiving and all I'd like to take a min to be thankful.

There is no way I could possibly compile a list of people that have helped me along my road to recovery and training for Dopey. Many of the doctors, nurses and EMTs that helped me get back on my feet are just a blur. Only meeting them for brief moments and then they were gone. I'll sum that list up by just saying they are amazing people, with skills and compassion that I will never possess.

Next, I'm thankful for my wife and family. Going into this I had promised that it would have minimal impact on our time together. For the most part, I've accomplished that goal. But with the recent commitment to my stretching routine and longer runs, it has impacted time with them. They have all been patient and understanding.

Last but certainly not least, I'm thankful for this message board. Without it I wouldn't have met all of you wonderful folks and especially Coach Billy. I'm not sure how much I can say about Coach, but I definitely wouldn't have gotten here in fairly good shape without his assistance.

Hope everyone enjoys today surrounded by the people you love and fill your tummy's with delicious food!!

Looooooong weekend update:

Moved Thursday's run to Friday.

11_29_19.PNG

The only thing I remember about this run is that it was COLD!! According to Garmin this was my first sub freezing run. Though I ran many last winter when I had the Fitbit. Pretty sure this is the first run that I have worn sweat pants. Not sure why I decided to go with pants. After the first half mile I was sweating!

Saturday's run. Well, this one wasn't quite as successful. As I mentioned above, we had lots o work to do over the Thanksgiving weekend. That means long days and lots of stress for me. The run started off fine. Pace was nice and comfy, everything felt good and then about 2 miles in, I realized I wasn't going to make it. It wasn't because I was tired or sore. Anyway, had to stop at the house to use the head and decided I wasn't going to go back out and finish the run. Margarita's and mexican food sounded better.

11_30_19.PNG

I'm a little embarrassed by my lack of dedication. It won't happen again.

Sunday's run. This was great! Work still sucked. Put in a 10 hour day. But, on the bright side it was over!! All the shutdowns and cleaning went fairly well. No major issues to repair and almost everything came back up without a hitch. Kudos to my crew for getting it done. It was a lot of work with far too few people. On the plus side, they got donuts!! The run itself was great. Felt good to be done with the stress of the weekend and I could really just focus on the run and enjoying it.

12_1_19.PNG

Paces were good. Maybe a little fast. Best thing about this run was feeling good afterwards!

I needed this recovery week, and with everything going on at work, it couldn't have come at a better time for me.

I was starting to question whether I had the ability to do all the training which made me question whether I could complete Dopey. This week has helped to boost my confidence. At least as far as completing the training!! Dopey still has me questioning my sanity....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter