We're ALL 50 here! And maybe a little MAD too.....a 50th anniversary/celebration/ Party TR *WHO 'DIS? Update 12/20*

Thanks all for joining in! I'm excited to get started and relive what was really a wonderful trip.

As usually happens our dates changed from original booking (thanks JetBlue for changing our flights!) so instead of arriving early on the 30th we arrived early on the 29th! At first I thought to do just DS today but in the end I decided I wanted to be in the MK before the 50th, anticipating the huge crowds on the 1st. I figured going to MK today we'd be able to walk around and see the statues and just enjoy and I'm glad we did! It was a nice relaxing day beginning with that walk into Wilderness Lodge and feeling of peace washing over me; that feeling of being "home" ♥
I promise I'll stop the mushy stuff, it's not really my style but this trip brought up some feels!

As you saw in my intro pic I was representin' the NYC on arrival day:

I mean nobody needs to know we really live 90 minutes north of the NYC right? So Nnyc? Either way I like my shirt. We went straight to our lunch at the Plaza which was "eh" and will continue to be so until they bring back my fried green tomato sandwich but the sangria was good. I had the loaded Plaza fries and Steve had the Roast Beef Au Jus. My fries were ok but could have seriously used more plastic cheese; then we found a good # of the 50th statues and walked on Big Thunder and Splash. Splash! At 1:30 on a hot day! The crowds were extremely light and we started wondering when the crowd bomb would drop but were happy it wasn't today.

I did a little Emporium shopping and I'll tell you what, I was REALLY happy I did come the 1st because that was CRAZY what happened! We left around 3:30; we had a dinner we were looking forward to but were kind of losing steam after being up at 3am for our flight.

This plaque is under the Mickey and Minnie statues

By now you've all probably seen lots of the statues so I won't post them all but we did go in and check out the new Confectionary! It had been open a few days at this point but still quite a few bigwigs hanging around. There's an icee station there now and some different treats! It's really cute inside and overall I think they offer a larger selection.

Once back at Wilderness Lodge we unpacked a little and took a power nap; we were going to eat at a restaurant we'd tried for the first time in August that instantly became a favorite!

Thanks all for joining in! I'm excited to get started and relive what was really a wonderful trip.

As usually happens our dates changed from original booking (thanks JetBlue for changing our flights!) so instead of arriving early on the 30th we arrived early on the 29th! At first I thought to do just DS today but in the end I decided I wanted to be in the MK before the 50th, anticipating the huge crowds on the 1st. I figured going to MK today we'd be able to walk around and see the statues and just enjoy and I'm glad we did! It was a nice relaxing day beginning with that walk into Wilderness Lodge and feeling of peace washing over me; that feeling of being "home" ♥
I promise I'll stop the mushy stuff, it's not really my style but this trip brought up some feels!

As you saw in my intro pic I was representin' the NYC on arrival day:

View attachment 613231

I mean nobody needs to know we really live 90 minutes north of the NYC right? So Nnyc? Either way I like my shirt. We went straight to our lunch at the Plaza which was "eh" and will continue to be so until they bring back my fried green tomato sandwich but the sangria was good. I had the loaded Plaza fries and Steve had the Roast Beef Au Jus. My fries were ok but could have seriously used more plastic cheese; then we found a good # of the 50th statues and walked on Big Thunder and Splash. Splash! At 1:30 on a hot day! The crowds were extremely light and we started wondering when the crowd bomb would drop but were happy it wasn't today.

I did a little Emporium shopping and I'll tell you what, I was REALLY happy I did come the 1st because that was CRAZY what happened! We left around 3:30; we had a dinner we were looking forward to but were kind of losing steam after being up at 3am for our flight.

View attachment 613232

View attachment 613233

View attachment 613234

This plaque is under the Mickey and Minnie statues

View attachment 613235

View attachment 613236

By now you've all probably seen lots of the statues so I won't post them all but we did go in and check out the new Confectionary! It had been open a few days at this point but still quite a few bigwigs hanging around. There's an icee station there now and some different treats! It's really cute inside and overall I think they offer a larger selection.

View attachment 613237

View attachment 613239

View attachment 613240

Once back at Wilderness Lodge we unpacked a little and took a power nap; we were going to eat at a restaurant we'd tried for the first time in August that instantly became a favorite!
Loving this report so far!
And much as we love JetBlue, we also had issues with ever changing flights! Cant wait to hear the rest!

Following :surfweb: Nice you were able to enjoy MK before the craziness began! WL is still my sentimental favorite - staying with our family in 2 Ft Wilderness cabins in March. One day I hope to get back to the Lodge!

The crowds were extremely light and we started wondering when the crowd bomb would drop but were happy it wasn't today.
We had been there for a few days by the time we saw you on the boat dock and the crowds at all the parks had been less than expected. It was actually pretty nice.

I had the loaded Plaza fries and Steve had the Roast Beef Au Jus. My fries were ok but could have seriously used more plastic cheese
There's just never enough plastic cheese! I agree with Ariella. Those fries used to be a must for me, but last time I had them they were pretty meh, too. Still, I do love The Plaza, especially if we get a window seat to gaze at the castle while we're eating :)

I just love that they did this!

There is nothing better than walking into that beautiful lobby for the first time. :goodvibes
We went straight to our lunch at the Plaza which was "eh" and will continue to be so until they bring back my fried green tomato sandwich but the sangria was good. I had the loaded Plaza fries and Steve had the Roast Beef Au Jus. My fries were ok but could have seriously used more plastic cheese;
I want that fried green tomato sandwich back on the menu!
can't wait to check it out in March!
So curious to see where you went!

It was a nice relaxing day beginning with that walk into Wilderness Lodge and feeling of peace washing over me; that feeling of being "home" ♥
Seriously one of the best feelings in Disney world. For me walking into WL even beats the park. Pretty sure I literally let out a gigantic sigh when we arrived last month

I mean nobody needs to know we really live 90 minutes north of the NYC right?
Sounds the same to me! I live 20 miles outside of DC in a completely different state yet I've called myself a Washingtonian my whole life

Love the addition of these statues. We're challenging Casey in December to find them all. However many she finds that how much $ she gets to buy something with. Figure that will keep her entertained and let us see the statues at the same time

Loving this report so far!
Hi and thank you!!
And much as we love JetBlue, we also had issues with ever changing flights! Cant wait to hear the rest!
We had a few changes with JB flights over the summer but luckily they weren't too bad. I just wish they'd stop changing times from like early morning to late afternoon because it really messes up a day! Fingers crossed my Nov. flights and our Dec. ones don't end up like the recent SW ones!
Following :surfweb: Nice you were able to enjoy MK before the craziness began!
:welcome: nice to see you again! Yes I was happy with my decision as it was a nice day and so easy to get there and back from the Lodge.
WL is still my sentimental favorite - staying with our family in 2 Ft Wilderness cabins in March. One day I hope to get back to the Lodge!
We always have those in between trips when we don't stay at the lodge and I miss it for sure; you'll get back there! And FW is so pretty!
We had been there for a few days by the time we saw you on the boat dock and the crowds at all the parks had been less than expected. It was actually pretty nice.
Yes and the low crowds continued for most of the trip! Very nice surprise
Those Plaza Fries are NOT the same as they used to be!!! Those are sad looking...
Yes! Last time I had them they had tons of cheese on them plus lettuce and lots of tomatoes! Won't be getting those again :(

Those fries used to be a must for me, but last time I had them they were pretty meh, too. Still, I do love The Plaza, especially if we get a window seat to gaze at the castle while we're eating :)
I love how pretty it is inside and I don't love many other restaurants in the MK so we'll probably be back- just won't get the fries unfortunately. Steve did like his sandwich!
I just love that they did this!
Me too! And on the 30th and 1st they were interviewing all older/retired/original CM;s in the Plaza garden which was also nice to see.
Lurking along!
Hey @Disneycampfan :welcome: happy you're here and I hope you enjoy!
I'm not easily offended, lol!!! :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
At this point in our friendship I think it'll be pretty hard for one of us to offend the other lmao!!
There is nothing better than walking into that beautiful lobby for the first time. :goodvibes
Yes :love: the smells, the ceiling, the people milling around and then walking out back to all that beauty! Not like walking into any other resort IMO!
So curious to see where you went!
It's a good one!
Love the addition of these statues. We're challenging Casey in December to find them all. However many she finds that how much $ she gets to buy something with. Figure that will keep her entertained and let us see the statues at the same time
Awesome, Casey and I get to go shopping! We found like 43 so I'll help her and therefore build up the $$$$$$ :P

What a wonderful start to your 50th celebration and I can imagine all those happy feels!
How nice to have MK less crowded on your first day. We haven’t been to the Plaza in quite sometime but the loaded fries look less loaded now!

Joining in! Can't wait to read more!
Hey Debbie, thanks for coming over! I started reading up on your latest report too :)
Jumping in!
Hi there :welcome: I hope you enjoy this one!
Hiya finally got a chance to do a wee bit of Dis time.
Hi Moira :hug: It stinks to have to carve out DIS time lol but life always gets in the way!
You’ve got me laughing already with comments like this one
🙌🙌 #thatsmyjob
How nice to have MK less crowded on your first day. We haven’t been to the Plaza in quite sometime but the loaded fries look less loaded now!
I was so disappointed with those fries! At least dinner made up for it!
Yeah for day one! I have about 5 months to go before I plan to celebrate my 50th with Mickey so I'll be checking in here off and on until that time.

December I'll likely be booking the resort at least!
Ooh that's right I remember you saying that! So March right? What do you think your dates might be? We're already booked!

I like your idea of enjoying some MK time before it got crazy. Everyone kept reporting how empty it was before the 1st. Your fries really did need more cheese. Can't wait to see those golden statues next month. I guess they will be swimming in Christmas decorations by then too.

Looking forward to your dinner.

After our nice few hours at the MK and a rest at WL, we were ready for the first dinner of our trip! When our flight was getting in around 4 I booked a dinner in hopes we'd make it for 6:30; no worries when that changed to a late morning arrival.

Now bear with me for a minute guys and I apologize for the wordy update.

:teacher: Over the years we've been privileged to meet some incredible Cast Members at restaurants and such; take for instance Rony at Citricos whom you've probably heard me talk about if you've read any of my previous reports:

This is us when we finally found him again post-COVID! After our first time at Citricos with Rony as our server we started asking to sit in his section and he came to know us quickly, to a point where when our son Ricky tore his ACL, he remembered 4 months later when we returned and asked about him. This is the case with 2 fantastic CM's at Geyser Point as well! One, Josh, a bartender, surprised us when post-COVID we walked up to a table and from the bar he yelled "hey you're back!" We'd had him twice in the before times but really didn't think we'd made an impression! I'm sure it's my extremely natural looking red hair :rolleyes1 which he DID comment on in June after I got my Brazilian Blowout making it TOTALLY worth the $$ - but maybe it's actually Steve's lack of hair? If you're reading honey- love you :p

This leads us to where we had dinner this night and why! Here's where we went:

toledo.jpg

The why is our friend Miguel. We met him in Feb. of this year at Three Bridges. We returned about 4 months later and were shocked when he stopped at our table and remembered us from my birthday celebration! That's when we found out that his "home" is Toledo and he was expecting it to open in the next couple months. We said we'd see him there and in August we did! Toledo had never really been on our radar even though I'd read good reviews but we were so impressed with Miguel we knew we had to go. We were able to introduce our good friends the Mr. and Mrs. @pepperandchips to Miguel that trip and we all thoroughly enjoyed our experience. We've also been able to introduce Rony to friends as well as hanging out with our BFF's @Jenny Sanders and Joe at Geyser Point quite a few times now and introduce them to Josh and Rob, a super friendly/sarcastic/sweet server who feeds of Josh's smart remarks that we LOVE. The moral of this story is get to know your servers and other Disney CM's! Even if you aren't feeling the love right now with the recent changes, cancellations, etc. the Cast Members - maybe not all but certainly many - still make the experience pixiedust:

And now back to our regularly scheduled CruellaNY! Bottom line is the food and views at Toledo are fantastic. Miguel knew we were coming and when we checked in the hostess told us he'd reserved a great table for us, and lo and behold I got to stare at my TOT while eating and drinking:

1634770503968.png

With a little SWAG thrown in:

Speaking of drinking I didn't take a picture of my wine - good TR reporter, bad dining reporter this go 'round- but I told Miguel I wanted something comparable to a dry Riesling and what he served me was on point enough that I had 3 glasses. Steve asked for a cucumber drink because apparently he thought he was me. Miguel said they used to have one on the menu but it's no longer there, however he'd make one for Steve and he made 2. All I remember is fresh cucumber and lime, vodka, and some Spanish cucumber liquor and I will be getting this next time around:

If you are a charcuterie fan you need to order the Spaniard for 2! By the time you're done there will not be enough left to feed a baby of 1. Steve also had that nasty octopus he loves and we both went with MEAT for our entrees, Steve's with a side of shrimp. Then because we weren't full enough we had to have dessert and that was incredible!

I failed to get a picture of my filet and the dessert but I gotta describe it because it was so delicious. It was this

'The Toledo Tapas Bar'
dessert tasting the flavors of Spanish Coffee, crunchy Chocolate, Raspberry Mousse and Lemon Curd

So a darkish chocolate bar with 4 dollops 😄 of flavor on top- a light brown coffee, dark brown chocolate, yellow lemon and red raspberry. I looked for pictures online but only see one that also has a white dollop so that must be an old version; anyway the flavors were perfection and while usually not a big lemon fan it was my fave! We're booked here again in December with friends and I may be going next month when I return for "work"

Thanks for making it through and I promise the next update will be more pictures and less prose!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter