Well, one of the things I was excited to eat at Woody's Lunch Box is gone...

UGA03

Earning My Ears
No more Monte Cristo

DiRYF8BU8AAiev-.jpg

Great. Was looking forward to trying it later this year. Hmmmph..

I was able to look at the Monte Cristo but not eat it due to food allergies and it was ablsolutely nothing like the Disneyland perfection in a Sandwich. My friend that I went with got it while I ate the tarte, which was amazing. It looked to be overly fried and was super greasy. The freind did not even finish the serving it was so bad to him. I am not surprized to see that it has now gone the way of the dodo. The tartes are devine and the grilled chese was decent and allergy approved.

Well, that didn't take long - I hadn't seen a single "good" review of the Monte Cristo, but I was still curious to try it as something different (and to support Disney's attempts to think even a little out of the box (no pun intended) when it comes to menus). Could DHS borrow the Animal Kingdom restaurant team - maybe just for a week or something to come up with some ideas? In the meantime, I guess it's back to Baseline Tap House for me with beer and small plates - which is not totally a loss in my opinion.

bit of a bummer they just took it off rather than replacing it with something else - not a huge menu to begin with

Was interested to try it - though the one I most want to try is the brisket melt

It baffles me that the same food item in one park (e.g., the Monte Cristo in Disneyland) can be so superior to the exact item in another park. :confused3 Do they not share recipes? Cooking instructions? Procure ingredients for same supplier? I think the same can be said for the churros.

no, they very much do not - and the food process at WDW is very different than at DLR due to scale

I mean, even things like the standard burgers at the quick service at DLR are generally way better than what is standard at WDW

(though I think WDW is getting much, much better as far as quick service goes)

@TheMaxRebo - See, I did think about scale. But don’t you think DLR serves as many, if not more of the Monte Cristos as this *one place* in TSL? I don’t have time to do the comparison, but I would guess that if you looked at the number of meals served per location, the QS locations at DLR serve just as many as the QS in WDW. There are so many more QS locations across WDW than DLR. But, i’m probably just ignorant of the numbers and the reality of the situation.

@TheMaxRebo - See, I did think about scale. But don’t you think DLR serves as many, if not more of the Monte Cristos as this *one place* in TSL? I don’t have time to do the comparison, but I would guess that if you looked at the number of meals served per location, the QS locations at DLR serve just as many as the QS in WDW. There are so many more QS locations across WDW than DLR. But, i’m probably just ignorant of the numbers and the reality of the situation.

that's a fair point and I am sure restaurant per restaurant they do server more monte cristos

More the foundational ingredients - so thinking about bread and turkey and ground beef /frozen patties, etc. ... and given this item had some unique elements to it (the type of bread the berry spread) if it isn't selling well even more of a reason to take it off the menu

Well I believe that Cosmic Rays was the busiest restaurant on the planet and Pecos Bills was the third busiest, at least they were last time I checked (pretty sure McDonalds in Moscow was number 2).

Hopefully they don't remove the brisket sandwich next!

In the meantime, I guess it's back to Baseline Tap House for me with beer and small plates - which is not totally a loss in my opinion.

Absolutely a win!

I think the same can be said for the churros.

Agreed. It seems like Disneyland prepares theirs differently - they put them through the oven/warmer thing and fresh coat them in cinnamon sugar; Disney World's seem to just come from backstage warmed and ready. At least I didn't notice the warmer things!

Agreed. It seems like Disneyland prepares theirs differently - they put them through the oven/warmer thing and fresh coat them in cinnamon sugar; Disney World's seem to just come from backstage warmed and ready. At least I didn't notice the warmer things!

There is definitely a lot more centralizing preparing and then distributing of food at WDW - partly due to the immense scale compared to DLR

I think a huge factor in the difference was DL Monte Cristo is served in a sit down place. They can take the time to make the beinets and other parts of the sandwich per each order. At Andy’s lunch box there is absolutely no way to take that amount of time. Quick service anything is going to be poorer quality than its table service counterpart. Unfortunately the Monte Cristo did not survive very long as a quick service offering. Quick service is going to be your typical theme park food just because it is easy to mass produce. As someone with many food allergies I can tell you they do not like modifying anything from the menu at a quick service place. There is not a single bit of food I can eat in Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon because of this.

For the people who want something good from Andy’s Lunch Box get the tarts. Use that as a snack on the dinning plan or paid snack within the park. Was worth the $3.49 hands down. Maybe eat at Sci Fi or a sit down place if you are looking for a quality meal at DHS.

I think a huge factor in the difference was DL Monte Cristo is served in a sit down place. They can take the time to make the beinets and other parts of the sandwich per each order. At Andy’s lunch box there is absolutely no way to take that amount of time. Quick service anything is going to be poorer quality than its table service counterpart. Unfortunately the Monte Cristo did not survive very long as a quick service offering. Quick service is going to be your typical theme park food just because it is easy to mass produce. As someone with many food allergies I can tell you they do not like modifying anything from the menu at a quick service place. There is not a single bit of food I can eat in Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon because of this.

For the people who want something good from Andy’s Lunch Box get the tarts. Use that as a snack on the dinning plan or paid snack within the park. Was worth the $3.49 hands down. Maybe eat at Sci Fi or a sit down place if you are looking for a quality meal at DHS.

But they can do quick service better than they are (even if not as good as sit-down) ... I think Sautu'li Canteen is a good example of that. Harambe Market has some good stuff as well. At Disneyland, Bengal BBQ has some great options

And seems like reaction to the other sandwiches at Woody's Lunchbox have been pretty positive

5CE6B595-A4BB-4A8F-B4BD-672E038287FB.jpeg

I thought that the sandwich was really good actually. Would certainly get it again. The tater tots on the other hand...tasted like the cardboard cup they came in. Went right in the trash.

Well I believe that Cosmic Rays was the busiest restaurant on the planet and Pecos Bills was the third busiest, at least they were last time I checked (pretty sure McDonalds in Moscow was number 2).

Seriously?? Well, you learn something new every day!

It baffles me that the same food item in one park (e.g., the Monte Cristo in Disneyland) can be so superior to the exact item in another park. :confused3 Do they not share recipes? Cooking instructions? Procure ingredients for same supplier? I think the same can be said for the churros.

I don’t believe they readily share most food recipes. We tried asking for a WDW dish at our DL wedding a few years back and they said it wasn’t something they could do. We also asked for mini monte Cristos as passed appetizers during our cocktail hour, and that was something they couldn’t do since they would be unable to prepare it on that scale appropriately. It sounds like DLR knows those sandwiches are best served as they’re ordered.

Drinks are a different story. I know the bars will share recipes across WDW and DLR, and if you get the right bartender who knows the right people, they’ll get the DLR recipe and make the drink if they have the ingredients if you ask and they don’t already know it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter