Welcome Party

Kristen14

DIS Veteran
Hi Girls! I need some suggestions for a good place to hold my Welcome Party. I'm looking for something like a hotel lounge where as many as 85 people can come and go as they please without worrying about reserving tables or paying per person minimums (it's IMPOSSIBLE to get people to RSVP in this family!). The location must have a bar, but food service is optional. The later the place stays open, the better, because I probably wont get there until 8. I've pretty much ruled out Pleasure Island and Atlantic Dance Hall, because of the cover charge, and it'll be way too loud for all the adults to talk.

Any suggestions??

i have metioned beofre but i am having mine as a private event at the yacht club beach. You dont have a minimum i think max is 100?? maybe
and you can do what you wish for food and also you can do open bar, and ballons or whatever wyou want?! hope this helps

I don't think ADH has a cover charge although I am not sure if they serve food. We are planning on having our reception there but it will be a brunch - after our morning ceremony in Epcot. Not sure how loud the music is there on a regular night. I do know they have an upstairs. Maybe you could hang out there as this would be alittle bit away from the music.

Linda

i have metioned beofre but i am having mine as a private event at the yacht club beach. You dont have a minimum i think max is 100?? maybe
and you can do what you wish for food and also you can do open bar, and ballons or whatever wyou want?! hope this helps

Did you book thru your EM, or directly thru the Yacht Club? The Yacht Club beach would be convienent since we're staying at the Beach Club, but it might get a little cold at night in January.

I need some suggestions for a good place to hold my Welcome Party. I'm looking for something like a hotel lounge where as many as 85 people can come and go as they please without worrying about reserving tables or paying per person minimums (it's IMPOSSIBLE to get people to RSVP in this family!). The location must have a bar, but food service is optional. The later the place stays open, the better...

Kristen14, you're in a tough spot. It sounds like you don't want to book an official Welcome Party since your guests are kinda wishy-washy. That is such a shame. I know that if I were a guest at your FTW, I would probably be the first one RSVP'ing my "yes." ;)

I suggest you discuss this with the FTW folks. They might have a few options that would suit both your needs and your budget. If you simply selected a hotel bar and told your guests to meet you there, if all 85 of them showed up, it would overwhelm most establishments and that would make for an awful time -- especially for you since you would hear everyone's complaints for years to come. You don't need that kind of stress and thus I suggest that you discuss things with the FTW folks to see what options might exist for someone in your situation. It certainly never hurts to ask.

Congratulations on your upcoming FTW.

Kristen14, you're in a tough spot. It sounds like you don't want to book an official Welcome Party since your guests are kinda wishy-washy.

Janet, you've hit the nail on the head. I dont want to book an official spot because unfortunately my DF's family is all about doing what's most convenient for themselves. A few people will come when the party starts and hang out until the end, just drinking and talking... but thats a very small portion. The majority will pop in for some free food, stay for 5 minutes and then leave. Either that or they wont RSVP at all and then expect a spot to be open for then when they show up unexpectedly. There's only 25 from my side, and I know they'll all show up and stay the entire time.

So I'm stuck. I want to have some sort of welcome party because I want to be able to spend time with people we never get to see. I'm leaning towards packing everyone in a hotel lounge and just not worrying about it anymore. How bad can it be? The bartenders will get tons of tips and probably have fun laughing at all the drunk idiots :)

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely run it past my EM before I make any final decisions.

I have heard a lot of people talking about Jelly Rolls on the Boardwalk.

We walked past it the last time we were down at Disney. I didn't see anything about a cover charge, but not 100% sure on that. Maybe someone out here who has done that can tell us if there is a cover charge?

Let us know what you decide and how it goes!

event.png

jellyrolls does have a cover. I think it is about $10.00 and I do not think they serve food (but i am not sure about that).

Linda

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely run it past my EM before I make any final decisions.

I really do feel for you, Kristen14. But I am glad to hear that you'll discuss things with the FTW folks. Perhaps you can plan a party with munchies for around 40 folks (that's about 1/2 of your group). My experience with all of the private events that I have hosted in WDW is that the food that is provided is way too much anyway. If only half of my guests had shown up, it still would have been more than enough food.

As to beverages, you could consider either a "bill on consumption" beverage package or, heck, one of those beverage packages where your guests pay for their own drinks. I normally wouldn't suggest anything like that, but it sounds like it might be the best solution for your crowd.

I'm sure the FTW folks will have good advice to offer for a difficult situation such as yours. Please keep us posted.

Thanks Janet. I have a phone session with my EM next week to discuss everything. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

hmm is it possible (or in the budget) for you to rent a suite or a villa for a night?

The night of my bachelorette party ws sort of like a free for all. I mentioned it my my newsletters but never had an official rsvp aside from my closest friends nd family who I knew would be there. My mom was staying in a villa at the BW and it worked out great. We picked up some liquor, wine and snacks before the party right near DTD and set it up in the kitchen area. We ordered a few pies of pizza on that night. Turns out like 50 people showed up throughout the night. We later went down to Jelly Rolls (which was sooooo much fun) but some of the older guests stayed at my mom's villa!

What resort are you planning on staying at?

You could also just have a party at one of the lounges as you suggested and run a tab (if you were planning on picking it up). Gf has mizners, Poly has Tambu (but this gets crowded due to Ohana) my favorite lounge is the Bellview at the BW. Plus it is a bit off the lobby and secluded and has a great terrace and things like checkers to play!

Thanks for the suggestions pixie08! I checked into DVC and there's nothing available for the entire week i'm there because of MLK day.

I'm staying at the Beach Club, but I'll have people all over the property. Next time I'm in Orlando I'll definitely have to check out the Bellview at the BW. It sounds like it may be exactly what i'm looking for!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter