Welcome Home...Three Years Later! A June 2021 PTR (Updated 6/21)

cstorm65

DDC #699
Welcome Home...Three Years Later! A June 2021 PTR

ACtC-3doIUKtkfSG_RSaq-RFPlKtzppkHS66R9-gz8afuhrasaMNzutKgP4Kruylc4aZcTT4NFx7kVhUyJWeg6L4EyfqBbs0HWmBtwpOGNtg81fN_M0w0vSMv8-DE1d-jidXU26yQelnCo8lEgf6ax7ST9Ageg=w1144-h1420-no

It’s time for us to go back to Disney World...or at least we hope it is! Welcome back everyone or welcome to those who have never read one of our trip reports before. This one promises to be a very different trip with all that is going on, but we have put off going long enough and finally have some concrete plans to get back to Walt Disney World. Our trip this summer will be our family's 8th overall trip to Disney World. You can read about our last trip, all the way back in June of 2018 HERE. Our strategy has always been to get an annual pass and use it for three trips the year long period so as to maximize our park days. Our last trip was the 3rd trip on our annual passes in which we went in July of 2017, December of 2017, and June of 2018. It works out well for us and since DW and I are both teachers summer is our main travel time.

So, to take our strategy a bit further we typically get an annual pass and use it for three trips, then we skip a year and vacation elsewhere before starting the Disney annual pass thing over again. So, in the summer of 2019 we went on a Royal Caribbean Cruise which you can read about HERE. Then, around November of that year I started purchasing our annual passes, one each month so as to spread out the cost in anticipation of another year of Disney from the summer of 2020 to the summer of 2021. About 2 weeks after I purchased the final annual pass COVID happened, and boy did it ever last longer than anyone though. It cancelled our first trip with our annual passes in the summer of 2020 because the parks were closed. With that in mind we decided to forego Disney that summer and rent out our DVC points, which we were luckily able to do at the last minute.

We then had the debate of whether we should get a refund of our annual passes or no, but we elected not to. I mean, we had them paid for and we knew we’d go again in the future and as long as we didn’t activate them they could be activated anytime through 2030. Hopefully we’d get back before then! Also, I know not everyone is as fortunate as we have been, but DW and I, as teachers have kept our employment this whole time and so taking the refund for money reasons wasn’t necessary. So, we decided to just sit on the AP’s and try again in the summer of 2021. Well, the parks have stayed open now fairly consistently and so we have decided to go ahead and try things this summer. So, on with the PTR!

We will start with some introductions:

Introductions

I will start by introducing myself, I’m Jon.

ACtC-3eeUzSelaHZptiYsg51T1O4mWh3XhYpngZtjBkvp-2CyqJepB7w1kZKYoonycbn926v7nFUOWygXabVB2uWtKNY2BctCHZr44Ke0QtpvVRKktT7GCdPiuv4Ok-QxKbbXMT4gcC_IFIxvBWLcl6rpBGzQw=w1836-h1376-no

I am a high school athletic director and head football coach and love the job I get to do every day. I’ve been teaching and coaching at the same school for fourteen years and have just finished my fourth season as a head football coach. Anyway, I honestly think I have the best job in the world. Being able to make a positive impact on kids every day is something I love doing. It certainly has its challenges, but overall I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else.

Favorite Character: Goofy
Favorite Ride: Flight of Passage
Favorite Show: Festival of the Lion King
Favorite Movie: The Lion King
Favorite Restaurant: ‘Ohana

Now for my best friend and wife, April.

ACtC-3fV_GT46vlJyfhYdgF0blK9At5gsvPQq90rIh_8l27-pdUyXGfWosp7ENpBI7ngnepITtl2LjKmVm3ddPjW5VrLL-U4h5AeTmXLmC6E6iesfSRj9CEgu8mZCTVsG1aFA6PyguIilhCa3HRMrHlp9gp9DQ=w1032-h1376-no

April loves our family vacations as well as almost any time we get to spend together. We have developed a love for Disney and vacationing together and it is something she cherishes. She is a school psychologist by day and an incredible mother and wife by night. She works in the same school district I do and so we get to see each other almost every day, which really is nice. She is also an assistant basketball coach for us, so all winter long we spend with our kids in the gym! She loves her job working with kids.

Favorite Character: Ariel
Favorite Ride: Rock 'n Roller Coaster
Favorite Show: Festival of the Lion King
Favorite Movie: Little Mermaid
Favorite Restaurant: Whispering Canyon Cafe

Next up is Braxton, who is eight, and will be nine by the time this trip happens.

ACtC-3eHIW-JOJHQdOPjy0whj-SI_y9RGS8nWwIP2mJUZMz6XIPuxe30D1WHsPK35P0LTM_vnYfwqmEnVX5yjd0ikA0mdPNAXuSWuQaWC4-1WsJh2pvq-xZPUjNniIeOVgj5YAuBU8MwRLPQUkyxDBECTHGoTw=w1032-h1376-no

I can’t believe he is eight year old, about to be nine. It just doesn’t even seem real for time to move that quickly. It seems like just yesterday that he was born and came into our family, but I’m sure all of you with kids think it goes fast too! loves playing sports and plays basketball, baseball, track, & flag football. In addition to all of these things DS has really gotten into Star Wars and the Marvel movies. I think this will be a trip that he will enjoy in new ways since he will be a full three years older than our last trip. Anyway, he is an awesome kid and is a great big brother.

Favorite Character: Mickey Mouse
Favorite Ride: Flight of Passage
Favorite Show: Dino Dan (Not Disney...I know!)
Favorite Movie: Star Wars
Favorite Restaurant: Cheeseburgers

Finally, we have the youngest member of our family, Brooks.

ACtC-3eF2q7QPxDCxGCn144XvTBe7UuPQs7FX-mJQ28Do99vNaahf4A7ONhbI3Us4lgRCVoR_dHDgV1OrxNJBRzFAu24queumoL24ymvQuOa-JMeSl_uYCxKQIR2ximgpcahZ29yDXZ2AMOQbcMmiY6KE8zu0Q=w1032-h1376-no

He will be fives years old during our trip. Brooks is just a fun loving kid and if any of you are at Disney the same time as we are, request a room away from us because he is loud! I mean this kid has a set of pipes on him and he talks a lot and at a high volume level! He has a great personality and is too smart for his own good. He doesn’t love shows like Mickey Mouse Clubhouse as much as his brother did, but probably because he thinks he’s as old as his brother so he watches the older kid shows with Braxton. His favorite Disney show or movie is still Frozen...I think that move stays on repeat at daycare. Finally, Brooks is looking forward to this trip because he hit 42” so he will be able to ride what he calls the “big boy roller coasters”!

Favorite Character: Olaf
Favorite Ride: Frozen Ever After
Favorite TV Show: Masha & the Bear
Favorite Movie: Frozen
Favorite Restaurant: Anywhere with Mac ‘n Cheese!

Up Next: We Interrupt this PTR for a Surprise Spring Break Trip

Last edited:
Past Trips and Trip Reports

Current Trip Reports

July 2021 - Escape to Our Home Away from Home After Three Years
March 2021 - Escape from Home to Dinosaurs, Wizards, and Alarm Clocks

Current Pre-Trip Report
None

Past Trip Reports
July 2019 - Escape from Home Life to July 4th on the High Seas
June 2018 - Escape from Craziness to Fireworks, Food, and a DVC Tour
December 2017 - Escape from School to Crazy Christmas Crowds
July 2017 - Escape From Craziness to Pandora, Po Boys, and Oppressive Heat
June/July 2014 - Escape from Real Life to Paradise: A New Trip with New Memories
June 2013 - Escape from Tornado Alley to Food, Tropical Storms, Mickey and More Food
June 2011 - "Can Two Thrill Ride Junkies Love Disneyworld?"

Past Pre-Trip Reports
June 2021 - Welcome Home...Three Years Later!
July 2020 - A New Trip Full of New Memories...Hopefully It Happens!
June 2018 - Let's Put These AP's to Use! A June 2018 PTR
July 2017 - Our First Trip As a Family of Four!
June 2015 - We’re Going For the Record...A Record Number of Resort Changes!

Past Trips
December 2022 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas (Maybe Doing a Trip Report)
June 2022 - Boardwalk Inn/Copper Creek Villas (Trip Report Coming Soon)
March 2022 - Pop Century (No Trip Report)
July 2021 - Pop Century/Bay Lake Tower (Trip Report)
March 2021 - Dockside Inn/Royal Pacific/Cabana Bay (Trip Report)
July 2019 - Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas (Trip Report)
June 2018 - WDW Dolphin/Yacht Club Resort (Trip Report)
December 2017 - All Star Sports (Trip Report)
July 2017 - Pop Century/Port Orleans French Quarter (Trip Report)
June 2015 - Pop Century/Coronado Springs Resort
June/July 2014 - Disney Dream Cruise/Wilderness Lodge (Trip Report)
June 2013 - Pop Century/Universal Royal Pacific/Boardwalk Villas (Trip Report)
June 2011 - Caribbean Beach Resort (Trip Report)
July 2008 - Offsite

Upcoming Trips
July 2023 - Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas (7 Day Eastern Caribbean)
August 2023 - First Trip to Disneyland!

Last edited:

I haven't read your intro yet but I am here!!! Can't wait to see how much the boys have grown! And your plans for a new trip.

You can read about our last trip, all the way back in June of 2018 HERE
Wow! Can you believe it has been that long?!

It cancelled our first trip with our annual passes in the summer of 2020 because the parks were closed. With that in mind we decided to forego Disney that summer and rent out our DVC points, which we were luckily able to do at the last minute.
Have you used your DVC points since you bought them?

Anyway, I honestly think I have the best job in the world. Being able to make a positive impact on kids every day is something I love doing. It certainly has its challenges, but overall I wouldn’t want to be doing anything else.
As a parent, I THANK YOU!!!! If I have learned anything, is that I am NOT a teacher. Gwen and I have butted heads so much during this. Teaching your own child is a whole new ball game and I am not equiped to do so.

She works in the same school district I do and so we get to see each other almost every day, which really is nice.
That is amazing. Are the boys in the same school district as well?

In addition to all of these things DS has really gotten into Star Wars and the Marvel movies. I think this will be a trip that he will enjoy in new ways since he will be a full three years older than our last trip.
That is what I love about Disney, as they grow, the trips change but it is still magical. Hopefully he will love Galaxy's Edge!

Man, I missed that little smile.

I mean this kid has a set of pipes on him and he talks a lot and at a high volume level! He has a great personality and is too smart for his own good
Our friends that we went to Disney with last December have a little peanut like him and he sounds exactly the same. Something about being a tiny little boy. They make up for it in sound!

Finally, Brooks is looking forward to this trip because he hit 42” so he will be able to ride what he calls the “big boy roller coasters”!
It really will be a whole new world for him! And for you guys, you won't have to split up as much!

Following!
I have loved reading about your last trips and will be happy to join along for the next adventure!
Your boys have grown so much! They are adorable!!!

Wow! Can you believe it has been that long?!

I keep writing 2018 was our last trip and I can't believe it! I mean it's like the stars aligned for us to have the longest stretch of not going in 10 years!

Have you used your DVC points since you bought them?

No! I mean, what are the chances we bought in and then all of this happened. Luckily we have been able to rent out every point that we needed to over the last couple of years, even had some that came down to the last month of use that we got to rent out last summer. I mean...I guess that's a positive.

As a parent, I THANK YOU!!!! If I have learned anything, is that I am NOT a teacher. Gwen and I have butted heads so much during this. Teaching your own child is a whole new ball game and I am not equiped to do so.

Well...funny you should say that. We had three weeks of distance learning after Thanksgiving and are fortunate to have been in school other than that. But, those three weeks of virtual learning trying to teach our two kids, wow, I wasn't sure we were going to make it a few times. I can command a class of high school kids without giving it a second thought, but trying to teach one 3rd grader. I mean from what I've heard Braxton has done pretty good, but it definitely takes all of my teaching ability to do it! haha

That is amazing. Are the boys in the same school district as well?

Yes, now that Brooks is in school, albeit half day Pre-K, we are all within about a 3 minute walk of each other. I'm in the HS, Braxton is in the elementary, Brooks at the Early Childhood Center, and April works out of our administration building. But it's a pretty small place, which is awesome!

That is what I love about Disney, as they grow, the trips change but it is still magical. Hopefully he will love Galaxy's Edge!

Yes, every trip has something new as your kids grow up. I haven't told him much about Galaxy's Edge and don't plan to just so we get an honest reaction. Never did I think I'd have to hide it for two years!

Man, I missed that little smile.

That kid! He's cute and he knows it.

Our friends that we went to Disney with last December have a little peanut like him and he sounds exactly the same. Something about being a tiny little boy. They make up for it in sound!

Oh my...he is so loud! And not for any reason at all, the volume is just always turned all the way up!

It really will be a whole new world for him! And for you guys, you won't have to split up as much!

I know, we are so excited about not having to wait outside of rides. I mean he probably won't do Space, but every other ride at Magic Kingdom he will do I think. He loves log rides and smaller coasters at theme parks we've been to in the last year or so. It will be so nice to finally have some great ride photos with all of us in them.

We are going in June as well!

Here's to hoping it works out for both of us! We need a trip so bad! Thanks for reading!!

Following!
I have loved reading about your last trips and will be happy to join along for the next adventure!
Your boys have grown so much! They are adorable!!!

Thanks for joining! They grow so fast as you know!

Let’s Plan a Surprise Spring Break Trip

Well, like a lot of you out there we’ve really missed getting to travel over the past year, but now we are kind of at the point where we have just decided to go with it. DW and I, as educators, can get the COVID vaccine in a pretty early distribution stage. Assuming we decide to get it we both will probably be able to be vaccinated by spring break. We were sitting around about a week ago and just spur of the moment decided, we need to do something at spring break. We kicked around a lot of ideas, but ended up deciding on surprising the kids with a trip somewhere they’ve never been, Universal Orlando.

ACtC-3eDm1-z6PqPuS86abgCNFIS76uOsyBJAAEuz0uu0VzhyxRuCiZVzeX77aj9Z7HOfUV0CapKD728e4TGPTGShbxSCpoMAkmlI6UfmzhD_0OGbGlTi4SwiqRmVXkfB4H_kGztnzQd8x292R7sTAiitsguQw=w1966-h1474-no

You see we had several options, but early last year...before COVID...I had earned the Southwest Companion Pass, which means April can fly free with me for two years, wherever I go. Well, COVID happened about a month later and we haven’t been able to fly yet. So, wherever we were going to go we decided we might as well fly to get some use out of the companion pass. The other thing at play here was DW and I went to Universal about a year and a half ago for our anniversary and the entire time found ourselves saying, “Braxton would love that” or “Brooks would love that” or “The boys would love that.” With that in mind we’ve been talking about taking them back and it finally feels like this might work for that. So, here’s the overall plan.

We waited until just a week ago to get flights taken care of, so our normal flights from Oklahoma City to Orlando were very expensive. So, we are actually flying from Dallas to Tampa Bay. We were probably renting a car anyway, so flying into Tampa is not that big of a deal. I mean, I wish we were going from Oklahoma City, because Dallas is about 3 hours away. But, the price differential was huge, like $300 per ticket less expensive. We also have a day on the beginning and end of the trip to just take our time and not have to rush down real early or later in the day. We will arrive in Tampa Bay on the first day around 9:30 AM. After getting our rental car right now we’ve talked about heading and having lunch at Disney Springs. Maybe try this place:

ACtC-3dz-H9mpbCFbxMewIbbLCui-tMkzCcuoMF7fTUOmbNTkktPqfMiQEWgMQDY2Mwy83XwaYf0_m_N8_YQ1BLmyeNF4U98S-8jBXI44RqDRLHus_3Vu7UPKZSOBtf3sC4ggKPR6FTFCZw6Y0b3T8K2kVJr7A=w1966-h1474-no

After lunch we can head over and the rest of the day is just scheduled as some pool time at our first resort of the trip. We will be staying two nights at

ACtC-3dKlAbZ4_4ZQsy1-E59fAUWNQ8kZAX14h1FFxVr1pqRL2n8AoHZ0zuz4L5J9v0A9bp3LsYN-Hve6XvXnGeM-k3a7dgl2j0bOWWJs30sJEuIetyEK9y_IvzjOIvCIqtntXaRFvlJuNy7xi441Cs8XUPz-g=w800-h200-no

The second day is just a resort day for us. You see as a travel agent we get pretty good ticket deals, but it’s only on a three day ticket, so that limited us a little on how many days we can spend in the parks. So, the boys will love this day being just a pool day...all day!

ACtC-3c3Vjz2eRtze9Zi4nA5gB2wTocIMSThYNl4fp1HINd1v79NyEUkzCal0H0yRoVN7JdUC3VZtOHXDlhMnqCzrRToznVyCNOPOjb_YDgaGvRyPqbBa5JIPDbESgyAFTQsQF4_lCNftrkiSm55cCAUFFbGYg=w1000-h667-no

On day three we get up and will transfer our stuff over to our new resort, Royal Pacific.

ACtC-3djMuN2R-CBanaBqk46i1JvRTd-c-EOFG_Za4PuoKrJH58ePBq7RoOxK8qZi8OW4Gj0vqHY9putQNYh9rDjQBD9k1wgg547ozkgMnNRIjwQa8dllgbOLb8J-1ZeNVx-5SWcvSB6QwutPQCZPdehnTE-wQ=w2000-h1334-no

We will stay here for two nights and this is where we will be using our park tickets since we get free Universal Express Pass while staying here. That is basically the Disney equivalent of Fastpass, but you don’t need times! You just walk onto any ride, any time...except the newest Hagrid’s ride at IoA.

After our two days at Royal Pacific we are spending one night before we leave at Cabana Bay Beach Resort. I’ll explain more later on why we added this extra day to help us maximize the Express Pass, but we will just relax and swim some on our checkout day. We don’t have a flight until 7:00 PM, so we won’t need to get on the road to Tampa until around 3:00 or so.

Anyways, that’s the big picture of the trip. I need things to do, so I may break that down a bit over the next few weeks as we plan out other things we want to do!

Up Next: The Disney Itinerary

Last edited:
No! I mean, what are the chances we bought in and then all of this happened. Luckily we have been able to rent out every point that we needed to over the last couple of years, even had some that came down to the last month of use that we got to rent out last summer. I mean...I guess that's a positive.
Well, I guess it is the silver linning, at least you didn't lose money.

Well...funny you should say that. We had three weeks of distance learning after Thanksgiving and are fortunate to have been in school other than that. But, those three weeks of virtual learning trying to teach our two kids, wow, I wasn't sure we were going to make it a few times. I can command a class of high school kids without giving it a second thought, but trying to teach one 3rd grader. I mean from what I've heard Braxton has done pretty good, but it definitely takes all of my teaching ability to do it! haha
I am sure it is very different teaching those age groups!

I haven't told him much about Galaxy's Edge and don't plan to just so we get an honest reaction. Never did I think I'd have to hide it for two years!
I can't wait to hear what he thinks. And it probably is better that he doesn't know much about it.

I am jealous that you guys might have 2 trips planned! But I am sure it is well deserved. We have not ventrued to Universal yet. My girls have ZERO intrest in Harry Potter, so it just hasn't pulled us over that way yet.

Well, I guess it is the silver linning, at least you didn't lose money.

Yes, it was nerve racking a few times. Last summer we had a resort reservation booked on points, but our trip dates were after the DVC resorts re-opened, but the parks weren't open yet. Luckily we were able to rent some out since we had decided to go back this coming summer. What we had left after that were all points that were going to get extended for a full year to this summer. So, fingers crossed we get to actually use our points!

I am sure it is very different teaching those age groups!

No doubt! I tell my kids teachers all the time they are doing a great job. First, because the don't hear that very often and second, I don't think I could do what they do with young kids!

I can't wait to hear what he thinks. And it probably is better that he doesn't know much about it.

Yeah, We have talked to them about Universal before, so they are familiar with it a little bit, but I"m excited to see how he likes it as well!

I am jealous that you guys might have 2 trips planned! But I am sure it is well deserved. We have not ventrued to Universal yet. My girls have ZERO intrest in Harry Potter, so it just hasn't pulled us over that way yet.

I am not a big Harry Potter fan either, but DW is a huge one. She watched all of the movies, although she's not a book reader. So I don't know if you can call her a huge fan, but she loved the movies. I could always taken them or leave them, but the lands in the parks at Universal...Incredible! I'll just leave it at that.

I hope everyone had a great weekend! We were busy with DS8’s basketball games yesterday, they won, so that was fun! Then we just got some things done here around the house. Our lives are pretty busy right now. DW coaches basketball at our school and I’m the Athletic Director. Basketball season is normally pretty busy, but that is doubled this year with COVID. We are having to limit attendance at games and that means we have to be at every event. Normally all of the administrators split up games and cover them, but this year it is all hands on deck. So, it was nice to have a Saturday & Sunday off!

Anyways, I’m going to get the planning started today for our Disney trip this summer. In an effort to keep things organized...well, to keep myself organized...I am going to list the stuff about our summer Disney trip in my normal PURPLE and the stuff about the spring break trip to Universal in ORANGE. Hope this helps keep things all organized!

The Disney Itinerary

As all of you know the planning process is much different for Disney right now compared to normal times. I mean, usually at this point I’d have specific plans done, ADR’s made, and have a plan for what FP’s I need to get in a couple of months. Well, at this point the only thing I’ve really done is pick a park each day so I can get my Parks Pass Reservation. I think this may make the planning a little more fun now though, because as I go through the days here on the PTR I’ll actually be planning those days in real time. Of course I can’t make ADR’s until 60 days out, but we can at least get a plan in place. Throughout this itinerary update I’m going to use some throwback pictures from trips in the past to help explain what we we will be doing and where we will be staying.

So, our trip starts by flying from our home, here in Oklahoma City to Orlando to start our 2 week vacation. Yes, 2 weeks! As I say on about every PTR, DW and I are both in education so summers are our travel time. We also like to take nice long trips as our kids are younger, not involved in school sports and things yet, and that allows us to slow down and not run ourselves ragged each day. Our state also has a week mandated around the 4th of July that no high school athletics can take place, so that keeps DW and I from missing athletic events in the summer!

We are very excited to be flying from OKC as if you read our update about our spring break trip to Universal you saw we have to drive to Dallas to fly out because airfare was like $600 more out of Oklahoma City. In the summer though we get to go the normal way! Our boys love flying and due to COVID we haven’t done it in a while!

ACtC-3fp8KTlhvgLjRnb5fTmnyBJjQPDzGcZoAR2BiRo1VFXVn2H6yMbexKGZdCc6fHdm-EpO4mz7vBniBRL9ZtjVvEd0tuX4KTHw8KVIiOb0R9wKCYf29BnnW1Ib-0akV5amWTh-xOXFQ6YzG3Hc0A9awte2w=w1106-h1474-no

When we arrive we will take the Magical Express to Disney World...unfortunately this might be our last Magical Express ride ever as it is going away! Don’t get me started!!

We are taking the Magical Express to Pop Century for the first half of our trip. We usually like a moderate resort, but with Port Orleans still not open we decided on Pop. We have always loved Pop Century, now it has the Skyliner access, and the renovated rooms look excellent. So, we’ll give it a try! Check out this throwback picture of me, DW, and know DS8 back several years ago!

ACtC-3fXdMJ36ai2z_WX9oYCbMAOInPIsKsJqqzLYwNeALkAVfqayjIpjcODyw3y6szsrOiwg4-F62hUoWIPPZvNE7Z5CIwqL0JOQLv_voIAITwyXtIzHj12tNSBxjaMPlUqTeR0PCN70B8oEhvF6ylChCp0Fw=w1966-h1474-no

And again, we are very excited about the renovated rooms!

ACtC-3c6bkc1-hQsJk5hJHHo6MGfBqdsP6sK8FQIg_IL8HleHbfqGnvvvxXXEmoqAL56egQhjkIbcwReGuee71zhvBKgMNfF4JQUaI6B7enPLiSVOoB5CjEwmh9-70bW5z0Ksw_RqiPHb2wotnab1PGeASjyuA=w620-h414-no

After our Pop Century stay we move over for the last half of the trip and will be using our DVC points here:
ACtC-3fDvBp9-PxiKH8hAeXiBUgIPiuqkYCqfcTx_icRsWEJxRFa6UEGHRHziYOn5L8cIHMw26iz-tegVYR9G2GK1tHL7Emv2hXPDlJa0WRe6qGQD1S32CKeTPY0pqD587koeI3GQT1eOTbynsqIcJAsE_APQA=w1000-h614-no

I know, this is not super exciting, but we had to move dates around quite a bit due to DW’s summer schedule and it was about all that was left at the time. I do have a couple of waitlists in for other places, but we aren’t all that concerned with it. Saratoga looks nice, it has great pools, and we are staying for much less points than other DVC resorts, which means more points to use the next time!

We did book a preferred room so we could be close to the main building and those rooms have already received a nice renovation. Like Pop Century, they have the pull down bed that doubles as a couch and we’ve heard those are so much more comfortable than the sleeper sofas.

ACtC-3cH57Yp1J2mw8JpPW11sdu_tWviTplr1U9-4nVOt0sev3BJQ4a5T1jHdQ-9RkaT45Repe_ivKvuNZ4i9Jugoprw-3iQkjYsDu_JUdkbVYdCvi1V0FC75RgQ665FbEQfZRB4Hs_YAQ3XYnbekad8jOh7GA=w960-h720-no

As far as the parks go I will go day by day later in the trip, but right now out of 14 days we have:

3 Days of Park Passes at Epcot...look at these cuties!

ACtC-3dztS0sPf99xDPjvbgdy7lYh48sHDR28QxsxpNhRAeOof-7uqxW5TR2JBo8uj8wxUZ3I3mJ4-hKDU-hqao73tczwi2QCadFGkmVwEYtHlL2F_A7k0gNPD0tTOAWThpKLQH7kQ6FOZbT3TcZeDYDqH0gag=w2212-h1474-no

4 Days of Park Passes at Hollywood Studios...DS8 and I took this pic last time before Galaxy’s Edge ever opened.

ACtC-3ft8pKymNIuODPpf-fTez-zclWSaOpPOj-x7trRo5jSZNlDT1oXtsLT54o19rDlrZZ3Lf1wjsVBhBlIg3HOl5P6vb2wavb7RR0vmlCq25_4uIW6FEifqjVOuJJG8PnHItIHI4YrMav17ubqEZfkISXZhA=w2212-h1474-no

2 Days of Park Passes at Animal Kingdom...Family picture from a few years ago.

ACtC-3eDDJufElqfgw5cUwO9_Cz_W8W7J2NCoSXRuBTO70fJxiDP7iIyORNhmHpxAyTo63iU7d82XpihQRF43gx0Fli0Mwsr4Dt2S4Jj4MvK5jvADVNtrv2uMwBJ7oUmZ36zgFozDbaRRjyHKO30q5TxDQ8Kyg=w984-h1474-no

5 Days of Park Passes at Magic Kingdom...Here is DW and I from our trip before we had kids. Wow!

ACtC-3cidD4s0hECegQuEX7KwcbR6nkZ_2wAI6OjC51c-2q8jEcaPMtjbpiOSxiumuDme3ySTLRuixNJAGtYzvmBzQt-T4MrecznDhKVxTLAaI1soxSs9xYPh7Rrrkzn_9RR5cACyMhP15gxsSMIJt9MuGSsAw=w474-h714-no

So, that is the overall plan for this summer’s trip. Like I said, I’ll be planning by day as we go because there really hasn’t been much to plan up until now. So, I hope everyone has a great week!

Up Next: Spring Break Universal Plans for Day 1 & 2

Yes, 2 weeks!
I am always jealous of your nice long trips!

When we arrive we will take the Magical Express to Disney World...unfortunately this might be our last Magical Express ride ever as it is going away! Don’t get me started!!
It is so sad!!! Savor the last time on it. :sad:

And again, we are very excited about the renovated rooms!

ACtC-3c6bkc1-hQsJk5hJHHo6MGfBqdsP6sK8FQIg_IL8HleHbfqGnvvvxXXEmoqAL56egQhjkIbcwReGuee71zhvBKgMNfF4JQUaI6B7enPLiSVOoB5CjEwmh9-70bW5z0Ksw_RqiPHb2wotnab1PGeASjyuA=w620-h414-no
These rooms do look nice! I am intrested to hear how you like it as a family of 4. I think as a couple, it is perfect.

I do have a couple of waitlists in for other places, but we aren’t all that concerned with it. Saratoga looks nice, it has great pools, and we are staying for much less points than other DVC resorts, which means more points to use the next time!
I mean, it is still a Disney resort! It will still be nice! But I say that as someone who has never stayed at the resort. What is your home resort again?

Like Pop Century, they have the pull down bed that doubles as a couch and we’ve heard those are so much more comfortable than the sleeper sofas.
We did stay 2 nights at the poly in a dvc room, and Morgan said the sleeper sofa was TERRIBLE! And that is coming from a preteen who really will sleep anywhere! So, the new ones have no where to go but up!

Following along. Have read your last several reports and looking forward to this one . Universal’s express pass is awesome. No time constraints ! I stayed at RPR for the first time in Dec and it is beautiful. Love being able to walk to the parks or city walk ( or boat of course ) .
It is strange not having to plan as much as before. In a way , I liked to freedom and go with the flow way it is right now . I was there in early December and had a great time - with adjusted a expectations it can still be magical .

Following along too. I've enjoyed all of your past reports and was so excited to see you guys are going back.

Following along. Have read your last several reports and looking forward to this one . Universal’s express pass is awesome. No time constraints ! I stayed at RPR for the first time in Dec and it is beautiful. Love being able to walk to the parks or city walk ( or boat of course ) .

I know...it has become something we have to have when at Universal, at least for a couple of our park days! Of course we usually only travel during school breaks since we are both educators, so crowds are usually higher. But, you are right...IT IS AWESOME!

It is strange not having to plan as much as before. In a way , I liked to freedom and go with the flow way it is right now . I was there in early December and had a great time - with adjusted a expectations it can still be magical .

I am having the same thought. We are just going to try and enjoy the freedom and not having to worry about "staying on schedule". I know my family will probably like not having to keep as much of a schedule as normal!

Following along too. I've enjoyed all of your past reports and was so excited to see you guys are going back.

Thanks for reading along! Just glad that a trip might actually happen!

Surprise Spring Break Trip - Days 1 & 2

I hope everyone had a great week! I apologize in advance for those of you who aren’t that into Universal, but I want to get a little bit planned for our spring break trip that is a surprise trip for the boys. So, I’m going to try and nail down the plan for the first two days so it is somewhat ready to go. Of course we know right now we will have to be flexible with all that is going on, but it never hurts to have a little bit of a plan!

Like I said in the intro we are planning on flying down, but we are having to fly from Dallas to Tampa to have flights that are reasonably priced. Things were really high out of Oklahoma City and in to Orlando, but it’s ok because I found a great rental car deal in Tampa. I was able to find a car that is a “Luxury” category car for only 16,000 rewards points that I have. That is the equivalent of about $160 for the car rental for 6 days. That is a great deal for a really nice car, like a Cadillac or something. Anyways, that was exciting when I found it a week or so ago!

Our flight got changed this past week, but it wasn’t by much so we are scheduled to leave Dallas at 6:15 AM and will land in Tampa Bay at 9:30 AM. I love flying down early in the morning! It just gets the trip off to a good start. After we pick up our rental car the plan is to drive to Disney Spring for a little lunch. You didn’t think we’d go to Orlando and not do something Disney did you? Right now our thought is to maybe try lunch at these two places:

ACtC-3cjgzN30XRHii-Whp35y1VxAwKmjxR8x3_ssVygTbEE2PZGX4xq43x4SWK9L1anFtk6VHZMhfP2ixy6JDZddaUZLS__s4VAqv8RDie0VdyRBwQP5JVgbsW5gNdStSm1elUYKXZjWHUTR3okzTOsSGkmiQ=w2204-h1472-no

ACtC-3fFrtkhzWamiusLILwoKqqCGc3FqknlS9l2FmNiS2GlCCYpM8pHksjFiojrUvLLxw_OHpAhRu9vN6N1MzOgtytjswsIm7b4_vT7OF-S6okt_zre3NKSRQhoWuhTEGN1zz6wnDUKIln08_IBpfuvjePcQw=w800-h555-no

I was thinking we might just get a couple of things at each place and all share the meals. We’ve never been to either place, so what would you all suggest? I’m sure the boys will like Chicken Guy the best, but any suggestions would be welcomed!

We will probably spend a little time around Disney Springs, but not too long as we want to get over and check into our resort around 2:00 or 3:00. I think people have been able to get into rooms pretty early since Universal is trying to keep rooms empy for a night before guests arrive. And, with the limited attendance the resorts aren’t really full. Anyway, even if we can’t get in the room we just want to get over to the resort as the boys will be wanting the swimming pool by that time! The plan is still for our first two nights to be at Universal’s Dockside Inn & Suites at the Endless Summer Resort. It will be a Saturday & Sunday night stay.

ACtC-3dIvTDfxE623TVYSE6jTmXWJEIQxGG7tC9GEaqwTop3Tf0cT-JUQFntc1Nen4N2m_kQGQjdjrlCU6C7cQrvMB3FfwRzwYXaa3CktVsXxHoYf4D8PInF5Lz3CxVx1MDWz46ZonClPMYAKBQlWfJBWIunsQ=w1280-h721-no

I know the boys will just be interested in one thing and one thing only:

ACtC-3c3Vjz2eRtze9Zi4nA5gB2wTocIMSThYNl4fp1HINd1v79NyEUkzCal0H0yRoVN7JdUC3VZtOHXDlhMnqCzrRToznVyCNOPOjb_YDgaGvRyPqbBa5JIPDbESgyAFTQsQF4_lCNftrkiSm55cCAUFFbGYg=w1000-h667-no

They both love to swim and this pool looks fun here! Our plan for this night is just to relax at the resort and let the boy swim as much as they want! I mean spring break is for relaxing, right?

I guess we’ll have to feed them at some point, but we will probably just try out the Pier 8 restaurant at the resort. It is a quicker service place and will allow the boys to just stay in their swimsuit, which I’m sure will appeal to them! I think the only alternative would be grabbing something off site at a nearby restaurant, but nothing like that jumps out at us at this point.

The next day, which will be a Sunday, will just be a resort day for us for the most part. We only have a three day park ticket because that is what I get at the Travel Agent rate and we are saving those three days to use them when we have the express pass, and Universal is much more crowded on weekends right now than weekdays. I’m sure that will even out a bit as the spring break time approaches, but for now that is the trend.

We will definitely head over on this day thought and have some fun at CityWalk!

ACtC-3dMx8Zn-fkIS4DFX4B2o7ZiftdNVwvapixxGLR-7-5UPKTYTuBBQKrAyaGb1f1HeHD9WzpwZ64zGSTnxOj3j_1Hmv1xboM3v9bmG74p9O4p-688L2mae5LH5VGsXPYR-OL9wxKS2ivLLfS6OCkLRBURSQ=w1964-h1472-no

ACtC-3etfBeF-dn_AsUwezT3NATN_LZ1hrn4HM_VR0Mgdp5OTpAZdOm4D1DKl0kivIINYbK2fwkWoNteup7CoiT_IOeN_TE0q-1xRIaJKg7gLfyuv4nhCWrI02QthWRhZJI1yvsZ3qi8WgGepyFDy4KfrUPJkw=w1964-h1472-no

This will include some shopping and possibly lunch and dinner. I tentatively have Bubba Gump down for lunch at City Walk. We aren’t really called to any of the quick service places at City Walk, but we like Bubba Gump and have been there before. I’ve also kind of thought about Margaritaville for this meal too. Anyone have any thoughts on either of those?

We will definitely spend a bunch of time swimming this afternoon and right now we plan on heading back to have dinner at a place DW and I found on our anniversary trip and it was awesome!

ACtC-3em4BtV8PMGVDRXcRUnieD1ZgzPiXUjbfu3waMiKJ_VmWSgSJhcnZ0oIXdeUrjcLz-b6HksCHiAAx3sey155ma_SJ3Ev7cFuqnl7kXGf6z7RTzbxYjs3TCwB3nRS9ErNUF41-gS589J1--Z36eP-Oqlrw=w1104-h1472-no

Bigfire was really new when we went and though some people have given it mixed reviews, the things we got there were awesome! Here are some of our food pics:

ACtC-3e1eOpy2fea1y6AwMbLoS_Vps9PAWdXvKgkOJ65h4djqYoLtCsuFVt5WW4f_H6BRUlScHt5Bv4E8dCYu500CfbHdRYtRcM2lC6zwPwDpvtAfo2lUDc_lIK8WpM6MiM2Ap0amEeieqZtAZDb_SzkCNBnvw=w1964-h1472-no

ACtC-3fCq8wc3L3LBbawd0_CGSXMIpp2gqFceqUt2KyCwmCZx5kyKSmkEVEtptjMD0hHxzCTbHd8NZh4yUeEQf1OuSg8XAc4BzL1fm6RehDSYXiF5RjPMtPP-wv116YfgkCyuOA8z78f0e23goRnz3lGM_4jow=w1104-h1472-no

So, we want to introduce the boys to that place. They will love the s’mores for dessert!

We will have to get in bed early on this night because it will be an early resort move in the morning as we will transfer over to Royal Pacific Resort which means two things...theme park time and express passes! Stay tuned for more planning on that!

Up Next: Surprise Spring Break Trip - Day 3 & 4 Plans

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter