Weight loss and thinning hair

I lost weight over a year ago (80 lbs) and yes hair loss is associated with weight loss. It lasted about 6 months for me. If you're already taking vitamins then that's all I did plus I started taking Hair, Skin and Nails vitamins, I still take them. I also have a regular hair stylist that I go to so I talked to her before the weight loss and then she would help during the hair loss phase by suggesting a shampoo that would help and she knew how to best cut my hair to add volume. I never went to the doctor for the hair loss, I did go before I started losing the weight and he confirmed that I would go through this phase so I was expecting it.

Hair loss is directly associated with weight loss. Anyone who's had bariatric surgery is familiar with this. I took biotin every day and it really helps with my hair loss.

I've had a recent weight GAIN, combined with drastic hair thinning. I am 68 years old. I am already on thyroid medication for a slow thyroid. I take lots of vitamins, including Biotin. I think I should go to my doctor for blood work to see if my thyroid meds need to be increased. I don't need this weight gain - I reached the milestone of 200 pounds, and I am not happy with it at all.

I lost 60lbs in 2016 and had noticeable hair loss as a result. My doctor confirmed it was not from a vitamin deficiency, but rather from the hormonal changes your body experiences due abrupt changes in eating habits and subsequent weight loss. Hair loss is one of the body's responses to that. Sometimes people break out with acne. Responses vary. FWIW, both my doctor and my hair dresser told me my body has to cycle through the hair growth cycle (~3 months) and then the hair loss should stop and it would start to grow back. That's exactly what happened.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!