Wedding Present Question For All of You Brides -- Please Help!

dizchick

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone, I'm hoping you can help me out with a question about how much I should spend on a wedding present for my close friend. Her wedding is in August and I'm a bridesmaid. I am searching her registries online and can't decide what I should get her. Most of the items are very expensive (ex. her formal china is $145 per plate and the serving bowl is $320!!), but I was able to find a very nice chip and dip plate on her Crate and Barrel registry for $27.

However, I don't want to seem like the cheap bridesmaid. Would that seem cheap to you? I'm not bringing a date to the wedding...it's just me. I've also already gotten her two shower gifts (about $35 each), paid $200 for my dress, $45 in alterations, $40 for the shoes, $40 for my hair on her wedding day, plus more to attend the bachelorette party weekend in another state. Please tell me that it's okay if I only spend $27 and not $50 or $100 on the present!!! I'm trying to save money to move also, so anything I can save is a help! She's a really great friend and a sweet girl, so I don't think she'd think of me as cheap, but I don't want to feel guilty. Thanks for your help!:)

Honestly if it is on her registry I'm sure she wants it. I as a bride was very happy with everything I got. Sounds like you have done alot. I am sure she would be just fine with the gift.

I think the plate will be a great gift. You have already spent a lot of money to be part of the wedding and I'm sure she appreciates that as well. Don't worry about the actual cost of gift, its the thought that counts. Personally, I would be happy enough that all my bridesmaid were able to participate in my wedding and any kind of gift would just be a bonus.

Thank you, ladies, for your replies! I'm hoping that I'm worrying too much over this :)

I agree with the other girls. I think it is nice of you to get her a gift at all! I am not expecting gifts from my BMs after they are paying a ton of money to fly to Florida and after they paid for their dresses. I am just thankful they are going to be a part of my big day.

I think the $27 gift sounds great. :thumbsup2

I honestly think the plate is a wonderful present idea. As a bride I am looking to account for the money spent on my BMs to make it to the wedding and for the shower ect. I am sure just having you there and supporting her on her wedding day is present enough. So the chip and dale plate would be perfect!

It shouldn't be the amount that is spent on the gift that counts but the thought behind it. That being said, it's on her registry so she does want it. I didn't expect gifts from my bridal party as they were flying/driving across the state/country to attend, and any gift given was thoughtful and unexpected. Two weeks ago I flew from Wa to NY for my best friends wedding and she wasn't expecting a gift becuase I spent so much to attend. Although she was very pleased to find a gift laying besides her bed the morning of her wedding :goodvibes .

I don't think that's cheap at all! Get it for her :)

I asked my BMs to not get me anything since it was a destination and all. 3 of them spent about $100 each on me and I was kind of mad at them for spending so much! The other spent about $40 which I thought was a much more reasonable amount. I'm sure she'll be happy w/ whatever you get her, even if it's nothing at all.

Thank you all for your responses! I really appreciate it! I just ordered her the chip and dip plate, so I hope she gets lots of use out of it!

I honestly think the plate is a wonderful present idea. As a bride I am looking to account for the money spent on my BMs to make it to the wedding and for the shower ect. I am sure just having you there and supporting her on her wedding day is present enough. So the chip and dale plate would be perfect!

Dremwvr-you are so cute...I can tell you had Disney on your mind when you said "chip and dale" plate :)

JJClemson...I just got done reading your wedding trip report. You looked beautiful and I'm so glad you had such a wonderful time!

remember to you could always fill it with fun recipes and some great cheap towels that will match her kitchen and some other kitchen stuff to if you don't feel it is enough. I am a cook/baker and I love all things from crate and barrel. :) thats were I will register. :)

Diz,
On top of being a bride, this year I am also a MOH. For the wedding I am a MOH at, I am bringing all of the bridal party together and pooling our money to buy one fabulous gift for the wedding couple. This way no one knows how much you are contributing and everyone's name goes on the card as equals. I am doing this strictly for those who can't give as much as they would like, while other can be over generous. You might check with the other bridesmaids and see how they feel about this idea.

LoL I must have Disney on the brain!! Chip and Dale; Chip and Dip...Same thing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter