~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ F&W Edition Taste, Shake 10/31

TinkerBelle_325

DIS Veteran
We seldom report of having eaten too little...

Now there is an interesting thought (provided by Thomas Jefferson) and one that is very appropriate in this thread. How often have you read a dining review where someone opens with "Oh my god we were simply STARVING our whole week at Walt Disney World!"? That being said...

Welcome to the F&W 2010 Edition of ~We seldom report of having eaten too little~!!

TRIP BACKGROUND
WHEN:October 24th - November 2nd
WHERE: Beach Club (24-27) Coronado Springs (27-2)
WHY: This trip is celebrating my DMom's birthday and Tania's 5th trip to WDW. We will be spending lots of time at the Food & Wine Festival and attending the Halloween night Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!

TABLE OF CONTENTS
ADR Plans & Rating System

I'm Tink, I'm 25 and I have done a few Dining Reports in the past, most notably August & October 2009, March & Sept 2010. I also seem to be somewhat famous for *this* picture

ry%3D400

At which most people go ::yes:: and then :scared1: when they discover this is NOT Yoshi's Deluxe Platter but our insane first experience with California Grill Sushi that set us back $100 LOL. It was soooo worth it but we've never ordered that much since. Typically we stick to 2 or 3 rolls now.

My DIS-inspirations are MickeyNicki & oybolshoi. :goodvibes Their reports are fun, filled with pictures and great commentary :wave2:

CAST

:tinker: Tink (Me): I'm 25. This will be my 37th trip to WDW. I am a true foodie and I love trying new restaurants and menu items. I take pictures of everything we eat each trip and love reviewing our meals. I also love Disney in the fall....F&W and MNSSHP are my 2 favorite events! :cloud9:
Favorite Park: Epcot
Favorite Rides:
MK = Haunted Mansion & Splash Mountain
EP = Soarin
DHS = Tower of Terror & Toy Story Mania
AK = Expedition Everest & Kilimanjaro Safaris
Favorite Restaurants:
TS = California Grill, Jiko, Kona Cafe & Tokyo Dining
CS = Flame Tree BBQ & Wolfgang Puck Express
Favorite Snack: Make Your Own from Goofy's & Dole Whip

pooh: Tania: My best friend of 21 years, she is 25. This will be her 5th trip to WDW and her 4th time at WDW with my family. New experiences for her will include: the F&W festival and MNSSHP!
Favorite Park: Magic Kingdom
Favorite Rides:
MK = Splash Mountain
EP = Soarin
DHS = Tower of Terror
AK = Kilimanjaro Safaris
Favorite Restaurants:
TS = Le Cellier, Ohana
CS = Flame Tree BBQ & Wolfgang Puck Express
Favorite Snack: Make Your Own from Goofy's & Dole Whip

::MinnieMo DMom: Age withheld at penalty of death :lmao: It will be her 37th trip to WDW. She is punctual and easy going at the same time (She had to learn to be with my DDad and I who are both well....stubborn and perpetually late)
Favorite Rides: Soarin & Impressions de France
Favorite Restaurants: California Grill, Jiko, Kona Cafe, Tokyo Dining
Favorite Snack: Popcorn

:eeyore: DDad: Age withheld as well. It will be his 37th trip to WDW. He is as much a Disney freak as me but hides it better. His favorite part of the trip is the food and spending time at World Showcase. As mentioned above...He is stubborn and perpetually late (like me).
Favorite Rides: Pirates of the Caribbean, Soarin
Favorite Restaurants: California Grill, Jiko, Kona Cafe, Tokyo Dining
Favorite Snack: Dole Whip

For the previous editions of ~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ please click here for 2009, here for March 2010. and here for Sept 2010.

Disney Food Blog with LIVE Updates!

For all those interested, I have a blog, www.thedisneyfoodie.com, which features WDW dining news, articles of interest (such as "The Best Thing I Ever Ate....at WDW!") and LIVE updates from WDW!

Jump to: ADR Plans & Rating System

ADR Plans

Sunday October 24th - Arrival Day
BREAKFAST - Toronto International Airport
LUNCH - Wolfgang Puck Express
DINNER - Chefs de France/F&W Festival Marketplaces

Monday October 25th
BREAKFAST - Kona Island Coffee Bar
LUNCH - Liberty Tree Tavern
DINNER - California Grill

Tuesday October 26th
BREAKFAST - Cafe Rix
DINNER - Romano's Macaroni Grill

Wednesday October 27th
BREAKFAST - Kusafari Cafe
LUNCH - Tusker House
DINNER - La Hacienda de San Angel/F&W Festival Marketplaces

Thursday October 28th
BREAKFAST - Sunshine Seasons
LUNCH - Chefs de France/F&W Festival Marketplaces
DINNER - Victoria & Albert's

Friday October 29th
BREAKFAST - Pepper Market or Cafe Rix
LUNCH - Garden View Tea
DINNER - Via Napoli/F&W Festival Marketplaces

Saturday October 30th
BREAKFAST - Starring Rolls
LUNCH - F&W Festival Marketplaces/Taste, Shake & Indulge
DINNER - F&W Festival Marketplaces

Sunday October 31st
LUNCH - F&W Festival Marketplaces
DINNER - Ohana

Monday November 1st
BREAKFAST - Kona Cafe
LUNCH - Columbia Harbor House

Tuesday November 2nd - Departure Day
BREAKFAST - Orlando International Airport

RATING SYSTEM

For this edition of ~We seldom report of having eaten too little~ I find myself inspired by the petite chef Remy from Ratatouille who states:

"If you are what you eat, I only want to eat the good stuff!"

ry%3D400

So I have decided to use a rating system of Ratatouille characters :)

5 Stars "A culinary revelation!"

ry%3D400

Items ranked as 5 stars will be on par with Ego's experience eating Remy's ratatouille.

4 Stars "So good I'm afraid to share!"

ry%3D400

Items ranked as 4 stars will be excellent, so much so that you would hesitate in sharing as it would mean less for you!

3 Stars "Solid, but anyone could cook this"

ry%3D400

Items ranked 3 stars will be good, but not surprising. They go along with Gusteau's motto that "anyone can cook."

2 Stars "Just hork it down"

ry%3D400

Items ranked 2 stars will be decent, worth eating once but not worth repeating. You would feel compelled to just hork it down as Emile so often does.

1 Star "Run away screaming!"

ry%3D400

Items ranked 1 star will bad, either bland, or disgusting, but regardless you would prefer to run away from them.

I can’t believe the Food & Wine Festival is starting in a week! I cannot wait to read the first reviews of the International Marketplace items and the Special Events.

Speaking of which, I was able to secure a reservation for the Taste, Shake & Indulge like the French event during my upcoming trip (which is a mere 30 days away). From the description this event seems like a fantastic value:

- Tastings of the entire range of Grand Marnier (even 150 year!)
- Cocktails & recipes using Grand Marnier
- Desserts

All that for $45/person, very reasonable by Disney standards!

Now, onto the International Marketplace items! I’m really excited to see how many new or revised items there are this year.

New Items I MUST Try

- Roasted Corn and Cheese Empanada (Argentina)
- Freshly Baked Waffles with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream (Belgium)
- Godiva Chocolate Iced Coffee (Belgium)
- Nanaimo Bar (Canada – I love these, so yummy! In case you aren’t familiar with Namaimo Bars, they are an icebox bar with a chocolate cookie crumb & coconut base, a custard/frosting like filling and a top layer of chocolate ganache!)
- Cheese Fondue with Croutons and Roasted Potatoes (Charcuterie & Cheese)
- Applewood Smoked Beef, Duck; and Ham (Charcuterie & Cheese)
- Pastel de Choclo (Beef and Corn Pie) (Chile)
- Black Pepper Shrimp with Sichuan Noodles (China)
- Dark Chocolate Sensation (Desserts & Champagne)
- Lobster and Scallop Fisherman's Pie (Ireland) (Ok, no not really « new » but it is new to me as I missed this item last year )
- Baked Cheese Ravioli, Creamy Bolognese Sauce, Melted Mozzarella (Italy)
- Wafu Ribettes (Japan) (Apparently Wafu is a soy based marinade that is very popular in Japan)
- Esquites (Pan-Fried Corn and Spices) (Mexico)
- Asopao de Pollo (Chicken Soup with Rice) (Puerto Rico)
- Shrimp Cake with Singapore Noodle Salad (Singapore)
- Flavors of Africa (Salad, Bread, and Spreads) (I’m hoping this is similar to the Taste of Africa from Jiko!)
- Lettuce Wraps with Roast Pork and Kimchi Slaw (South Korea)
- Barbecue Short Rib with Steamed Rice and Cucumber Kimchi (South Korea)
- Seared Albacore Tuna with Romesco Sauce (Spain)
- Bison Chili with Wild Mushrooms, Cabernet, and Pepper Jack Cheese

Items I am THRILLED are returning!
- Grilled Lamb Chop with Roasted Potato Salad and Red Wine Reduction (Australia)
- Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup (Canada) (There would be a riot if they removed this!)
- Escargots Persillade en Brioche (France)
- Braised Short Ribs in Cabernet with Mashed Potatoes (France)
- Crème Brulée au Chocolate au Lait (France)
- Spätzle Gratin with Ham and Cheese (Germany)
- New England Lobster Roll (Hops & Barley)
- Kerrygold® Cheese Selection (Ireland)
- Spicy Tuna Roll (Japan)
- Seared Sea Scallop with Vegetable Slaw and Lemon Oil (New Zealand)
- Kielbasa and Potato Pierogies with Caramelized Onions and Sour Cream (Poland)

Now, I feel that I owe you all some gorgeous pictures because I’ve kept you waiting so long between updates. So, here is my Party for the Senses review from 2008!

At 4:40pm we checked in at the podium at Showcase Lagoon. We were given wristbands, told the expected attendance tonight was about 950 and that the gates to World Showplace would open at 6pm. I headed to the gate at 4:50 and found about half a dozen guests there already.

ry%3D400

By 5:30, there were easily 200 people waiting at the gates. By 6, there were likely 350 to 400. We were there early enough to be RIGHT at the front (I have a picture to prove it!)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We then made the mad dash to grab your wine glass & plate and rush into the 2nd holding area. We ended up about 3 people deep from the front. Let me tell you, when they call this the "Running of the Bulls" they aren't kidding! At 6:30 there was sheer insanity as easily 750 people surged forward, people took off like their life depended on getting a table and now I truly appreciate what many meant by the rudeness of guests! There was pushing, shoving, and all out war to grab any table anywhere. By the time I got 2/3rd of the way through the hall I sprinted with everything I had and pounced onto a table (when in rome do as the romans do!). It was nuts. I have no issues with people saving tables, but there really has to be a better system than that! We were at the very back, but actually loved the location, it was right beside a stage for entertainment.

The Room is divided into colours, with the program set to show you what food items & wines are located at what coloured station.

STATIONS

RED
ry%3D400

YELLOW
ry%3D400

PINK
ry%3D400

PURPLE
ry%3D400

GREEN
ry%3D400

BLUE
ry%3D400

Here's what everyone has been waiting for....THE FOOD!!!

I did not try everything as there were some things I couldn't try (allergic to blue cheese) and some I didn't want to try (rabbit :( )

For now I will post the items I tried with their descriptions. The descriptions will be in coloured font to match where each item was located in the room.

Savoury Items

Stephen Gower, `Ohana - Disney's Polynesian Resort
Hawaiian Beef Cho Cho with Edamame and Sweet Potato Pot Sticker, Pineapple Chutney

ry%3D400

Michael Kramer, Voice Restaurant at Hotel Icon, Huston TX
Atlantic Rock Crab, Avacado Mousse, Yuzu Cream, Lemon Balm

ry%3D400

Kevin Downing, Disney's Vero Beach Resort
Seared Salmon Brulee, Savoury Tomato Cornbread Pudding, Green Tomato and Apple Chutney

ry%3D400

Eric Brennar, Magic Kingdom Food & Beverage
Beef Tenderloin with Asian Mushroom Risotto

ry%3D400

Tom Hill, Victoria & Albert's, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Pondicherry and Vanilla Crusted Long Island Duck with Fuji Apple, Fig & Red Cabbage Jam, Apple Cider Air

ry%3D400

Terry Metson, Fume Bistro & Bar, Napa, CA
Boneless Lamb Tenderloin with Herbes de Provence on a Crisp Four-Cheese Polenta Crouton, Goat Cheese Ratatouille Ragout, Fresh Thyme

ry%3D400

Kent Rathbun, Abacus & Jasper's, Dallas TX
Grilled Veal Tenderloin, Peach Barbeque Sauce, Chipotle Corn Mash

ry%3D400

David Bridges, Bella Fresca, Shreveport, LA
Blackened Tuna Remoulade with Fried Green Tomatoes (apologies for the awful pic!)

ry%3D400

Amber Kent, Rose & Crown Dining Room, United Kingdom Epcot
Beef Tenderloin, Asparagus and Applewood smoked bacon Tart, Brown Butter Bearnaise

ry%3D400

Jeff Page, Hollywood & Vine, Disney's Hollywood Studios
Herb Crusted Lamb Loin, Creamy Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese Polenta

ry%3D400

Desserts & Cheese coming up!

Onto Desserts

Keith Hiner, Boardwalk Bakery, Disney's Boardwalk Resort
Cheese Course Pastry Style
- Poached Pear with Cheese-infused Marshmallow
- Lemon Mascarpone Cheese Ice Cream

ry%3D400

Ciril Hitz, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI
Pumpkin Brioche Tart & Orange Hazelnut Bostock

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Keegan Gerhard, The Food Network Challenge, Food Network
d=mc3
delicious = milk chocolate 3 ways

ry%3D400

Julian Rose, Moonstruck Chocolate, Portland OR
Tanzania Pure Origin Chocolate Tart with Red Currant Jelly and Cointreau Raspberries

ry%3D400

Jessi Sudsa-Nguan, Bakery, Disney's Contemporary Resort
Cherry Cheesecake served on Pistachio Petit Four and Pomegranate Reduction

ry%3D400

International Cheese Selection, Irish Dairy Board
ry%3D400

Pictures from past F&W Festivals!

2006 - Exploring Regional Flavors

ry%3D400

Cheddar Cheese Soup & Maple Glazed Salmon from Canada

ry%3D400

Pierogies & Kielbasa from Poland

ry%3D400

Grilled Lamb Chops & Shrimp on the Barbie from Australia

ry%3D400

Bailey's Trifle from Ireland

ry%3D400

Chicken & Chorizo Quesadilla from Mexico

ry%3D400

Goat Cheese Tart from France

ry%3D400

Chicken Bastilla from Morocco

ry%3D400

Shrimp, Udon & Seaweed Salad and Spicy Tuna Roll from Japan

2008 - Cities in Wonderland

ry%3D400

Spanikopita from Greece

ry%3D400

Pierogies & Kielbasa from Poland

ry%3D400

Cheddar Cheese Soup, Moosehead Beer, Maple Glazed Salmon from Canada

ry%3D400

Praline Bread Pudding from Louisiana (tobasco NOT for bread pudding LOL)

ry%3D400

Strawberry Shortcake from San Francisco

ry%3D400

Cheddar, Dubliner, Ivernia Cheese Selection, Potato Pancake, Potato & Leek Soup from Ireland

ry%3D400

Chocolate Creme Puffs and Baked Ziti from Italy

ry%3D400

Churros and Chocolate Sauce from Spain

ry%3D400

Goat Cheese Quiche and Escargot en Brioche[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I am so in:thumbsup2 I don't think I've replied to any of your reports before, but I've read them all:goodvibes This report looks like it will amazing! I've got to skip a F & W trip this year:sad1: so I'm going to live through others.

Tink, I can't wait to read all about your adventure. The food pictures are making me hungry!

I am so in:thumbsup2 I don't think I've replied to any of your reports before, but I've read them all:goodvibes This report looks like it will amazing! I've got to skip a F & W trip this year:sad1: so I'm going to live through others.

Aww thank you so much for reading!

We skipped F&W in 2007 and decided that we could never skip it again :lmao: This will be our 4th F&W Festival, but my best friend's first! :goodvibes

It is easily my favorite event to review because I think it is the perfect combination of familiar favorite items and new exciting items!

Tink, I can't wait to read all about your adventure. The food pictures are making me hungry!

Thanks so much! I must admit, I'm getting hungry looking at them too :rotfl:

You know I'm in...make sure you do it live for me babe because I am going right after you and you need to tell me what I should eat and drink and what I need to stay away from :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I can't wait! We did Food and Wine 2 years ago :sad2: and we won't be able to get back until next year. I will be drooling over your reviews!

These pics are making me so hungry!! We'll be going for our first F&W Fest this Nov. and look forward to your reviews so we know what to try! popcorn:: I can't wait! :banana:

First off....

I'm going to WDW this month!!

:yay::yay::woohoo::woohoo::cheer2::cheer2:

And I was there last month....and I'll be there next month...:rotfl2:

AND I'm going to F&W Festival and V&A and MNSSHP! :cloud9:

Looking forward to reading your report - we'll be there at the same time as you. :)

Awesome! Looking forward to F&W? :goodvibes

You know I'm in...make sure you do it live for me babe because I am going right after you and you need to tell me what I should eat and drink and what I need to stay away from :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Hey hun! Oh you bet it will be live! At the VERY least the F&W items (and V&A) will be :thumbsup2

And one of these days we will meet up for a slushie in France :lmao:

I can't wait! We did Food and Wine 2 years ago :sad2: and we won't be able to get back until next year. I will be drooling over your reviews!

Our first F&W was 2006, we skipped 2007 and then decided never to skip it again :rotfl:

These pics are making me so hungry!! We'll be going for our first F&W Fest this Nov. and look forward to your reviews so we know what to try! popcorn:: I can't wait! :banana:

Ooo you will love it! The first experience with F&W is so fun!

Dealing with an Indecisive DD (DDad and Disney Diner) Part 2:
Creating an Indecisive Disney Daughter!!

As you may recall from my last report, my DDad is an extremely indecisive Disney diner :sad2: AND for those of you that are like me (obsessive planners :thumbsup2) you know how incredibly difficult it can be to deal with someone who likes change and spontaneity on a WDW vacation!

Here in an excerpt from my last report:

I have planned the trip months in advance, examined menus, park hours, EMH schedules etc. I have mapped out what I feel is the perfect itinerary. I offer to show him said itinerary numerous times in the months leading up to the trip and his response is always "I trust you” with a smile.

Suuure, he trusts me. Then why is it, without fail, one week before every trip I hear, “Hey Meg….can I see the itinerary?...”

Which causes the following thoughts to run through my head....

Oh god…I’m screwed….he is going to want to change something, or he will ask me to obtain the impossible reservation. I understand he wants some flexibility, but for heaven’s sake, he has been to WDW as often as me, he knows that dining reservation book out months in advance….doesn’t he? [/COLOR]

Well, my DDad asked me to book a 2nd California Grill reservation for our September trip....less than a week before we left! :scared1: Impossible right? As it turns out....not impossible :headache: and now DDad is convinced I can get any reservation at the drop of a hat :rolleyes:

This coming trip, a different conversation arose and I'm slightly ashamed to say....it was ME proposing the changes :eek: Yup, that's right....my name is Meg, I am an obsessive Disney planner and my DDad has somehow managed to change me into a *gasp* Indecisive Disney Daughter!!

A few days ago, I called DDad while on lunch at work:

"Hi Dad, you know...there is a REALLY big convention at Coronado Springs when we are staying there..."

"How big? We've dealt with conventions before..."

"1500 people..."

"Oh....crap..."

"Exactly, so I was thinking, why don't we look at other options for the first few nights? Maybe stay at a Deluxe in one room (there are 4 adults on this trip, myself, my best friend Tania who is like a daughter to my parents, and DMom and DDad)."

"Wait...YOU are asking us to deviate from your perfectly planned, colour coded, "it-takes-180-days-of-advanced-planning-you-know!" schedule?"

"Yes, I'm aware of the irony.."

"I've done it! I've made the planner....spontaneous!"

"Oh, shut up!" :rolleyes:

"Where were you thinking of switching to?"

"The Beach Club, that way we can focus on Food & Wine Festival for the first three days"

"Doesn't that mean you have to change most of the dining reservations as well? Isn't that impossible??"

"Shut up!" :lmao:

And thus began the saga of turning my carefully planned vacation on it's head :rolleyes1

Now we are staying at the Beach Club from Oct 24th - 27th, in one waterview room. Then we switch to Coronado Springs on the 27th through to November 2nd, in two standard view rooms.

As a result, I DID have to change the majority of my dining reservations:

Sunday October 24th - Arrival Day
BREAKFAST - Toronto International Airport
LUNCH - F&W Festival Marketplaces
DINNER - Chefs de France/F&W Festival Marketplaces

Monday October 25th
BREAKFAST - Kona Island Coffee Bar
LUNCH - Liberty Tree Tavern
DINNER - La Hacienda de San Angel/F&W Festival Marketplaces

Tuesday October 26th
BREAKFAST - Cafe Rix
LUNCH - Tusker House
DINNER - Via Napoli/F&W Festival Marketplaces

Wednesday October 27th
BREAKFAST - Cracker Barrel
DINNER - California Grill

Thursday October 28th
LUNCH - Chefs de France/F&W Festival Marketplaces
DINNER - Victoria & Albert's

Friday October 29th
BREAKFAST - Starring Rolls
LUNCH - Garden View Tea
DINNER - Raglan Road

Saturday October 30th
LUNCH - F&W Festival Marketplaces/Taste, Shake & Indulge
DINNER - Jiko

Sunday October 31st
BREAKFAST - Kusafiri Cafe
LUNCH - Flame Tree BBQ
DINNER - Ohana

Monday November 1st
BREAKFAST - Kona Cafe
LUNCH - Columbia Harbor House

Tuesday November 2nd - Departure Day
BREAKFAST - Orlando International Airport

I'm comforted in knowing I'm not alone with being obsessive with my Disney planning! My DH sounds just like your dad. 180 days out he has no preference for anything involving Disney World and will usually tell me to book whatever I want.

Now we have 2 months to go before our next trip and he spits out "Do we have a reservation for California Grill?" Well, no, when I asked you where you wanted to eat 4 months ago you said you wanted to try some new restaurants :sad2:

So I'm kind of half-heartedly looking for a Cali Grill reservation for the next two months :rotfl:

Woohoo!! I'm leaving on Sunday!!​

:woohoo::woohoo::yay::yay::cheer2::cheer2:

As an....amuse bouche of sorts for all you wonderfully patient people, I give you, Food & Wine Festival 2009 pictures :goodvibes

F&W 2009

ry%3D400

Canada

ry%3D400

Greece

ry%3D400

Guide

ry%3D400

New Zealand

ry%3D400

France

ry%3D400

Poland

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Norway

ry%3D400

Japan

ry%3D400

US

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Italy

ry%3D400

Germany

ry%3D400

Austria

ry%3D400

Looooooooooove your report and photos !!!

We're going to be checking into CSR on October 27th as well :)

Hello!!

We are sitting at the airport, waiting to board our flight. Tonight I will gave reviews of the food and wine festival and Chefs de France :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts