We saw the MAGIC at Grand Cayman this week (and other tips for your Cayman visit)

jwann

<font color=FF00CC>Have a ~*~*~ Pixie Dust ~*~*~ k
Well, we just returned last night from a five-night stay in paradise (aka Grand Cayman). My dh and I were thrilled to see the Magic from our hotel! We also saw many cruisers at the Turtle Farm and shopping around Georgetown. I so bad wanted to say - Any here from the DIS boards??
Here's my 2 cents on excursions at Grand Cayman.
* Captain Marvins was the best. If you have time to do the all day (9-3) excursion - do it! Do NOT miss stingray city!
* Anywhere we snorkeled was great. I'd look into doing a private snorkeling excursion. The coral formations in the North Sound around stingray city were breathtaking.
* Georgetown in very crowded when the cruisers are in town. Shopping was so-so, I thought.
* You HAVE to get the rum cake - either Tortuga (my #1) or Blackbeards. Grand Cayman is famous for its rum cakes.
* The specialty drinks on the island are the Mudslide and the Rum Punch.
* The turtle farm was interesting and you can pick up and hold the turtles. However, given a choice, i would rather snorkel.
* Any history buffs out there? Pedro St. James Castle is a must and don't miss their informational multi-media show - pretty good.
* Any one want to see the blue iguanas, lizards, and native parrots? Then go to the Botanical gardens. The flowers are beautiful.
* If you want to go and just hang out at a beach and drink or eat from the restaurant, then Rum Point fits the bill.

Any questions?

Thanks for the tips, sounds like you had a great time! We will cruising at Easter, and are trying to plan out our Grand Cayman day. We were thinking of renting a car, stopping at the turtle farm, then just see the island on our own. I am hoping to find a beach that is not so crowded, and have found the recommendation for the west bay area on a Grand Cayman web site. Did you go here at all? Do you have any recommendations in addition to Rum Point that might be a nice beach stop for a family of four (with 2 boys, 12 & 14). Thanks!:sunny:

I can second the recommendation for Capt. Marvin's. We thoroughly enjoyed the all day excursion with them. Its just a short walk to their building from the cruise terminal. They have transportation to take you to their boats.

It is well worth the money!

Lisa

Dave: We visited "hell" while we were honeymooning in the Caymans. We thought it was a complete waste of time. I honestly did not get what all the fuss is about. My opinion, if you are there on a cruise there are alot better options.

Captain Marvins is the best!!! We cannot wait to do it again with our children this time.

We rented a car - be careful, they drive on the "wrong" side! But it was part of the fun. Here is some info about a SUPER secluded beach that we went to where it was just us and one other family: Cemetary Reef beach
Drive or take a taxi up the road of seven mile beach where all the hotels are (only two or so miles from Georgetown). There will be a fire station on the right and a cemetary on the left. Park in front of the cemetary and follow the foot path along the cemetary to the beach. There are only 2 port-a-potties there but the beach was great and the snorkeling was super. To get to the reef, swim out towards the bouy and to the left you will see where the blue ocean looks darker. Here is where the reef is. Be sure to bring something to feed the fish - like pizza crust. My husband and I loved this beach - bring towels as there are no chairs. I hunted for coral and shells that were washed up on the shore and brought back a fist-sized piece of brain coral.
Re: hell. As a Christian, I thought going there was not really appropriate. I know it's silly, but that's how I felt. I heard many people talking that there was nothing to it, though, unless you wanted a t-shirt or to mail a post card.

Hi Jwann--

If you saw the Magic in GC on Tues. 1/20 you were up very early and didn't see her for very long:(

Due to high winds/high swells (6 feet??) they suspended the tender service.

We were on the Magic and watched the crew try to get the tenders to the ship but just couldn't do it. I guess a few of the early excursions got off ok but then they stopped the tenders. At about 9:30 am the Captain decided to try the other side of the island and we were able to tender in to Spot Bay by about 10:30. We then had to wait about an hour to get on a tender.

The BAD news is that we missed our Captain Marvin ressie for 11:15:(

The GOOD news is that we took the kids to 7 mile beach and they loved it!! They spent 2 hours body surfing and jumping huge waves. :sunny:

I was trying sooooo hard not to show my disappointment in missing Captain Marvins and then at the end of the trip we were discussing the high points and 7mile beach was on everyones list!!! I guess it all works out in the end:jester:

Glad you had a great trip to GC. We would definitely spend more time on this beautiful island!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter