We need to eat better!

JanetRose

...what was the meaning of the big white glove?
How do you, if you are able to, keep on a healthy life-style schedule?

Exercise, eating better, reading more, etc. etc.?

My husband and I need to get it together!

Exercise is about the only thing that general everyone can do without controversy. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, walking, swimming are all easy and helpful.
Eating better I am learning can be difficult if you have health issues. I am borderline Type 2 diabetic, and have to watch what I eat due to a kidney issue. What is good for lowering blood sugar is bad for my kidneys, and what is good for my kidneys is bad for my blood sugar. Lots of veggies used to be a good thing, but not good for my kidneys because many have high Phosphorus levels.

Don't overwhelm yourselves by doing too many things at once.

Pick something--like a daily walk after dinner--and start smaller than you feel you could actually do, say 15 minutes for a couple weeks rather than 30. Increase gradually, keeping it just a little too easy.

Then, add something else like eating fresh fruit with cereal or as dessert instead of sugary baked goods or ice cream. Have a treat occasionally but stick to fruit the rest of the time.

Your body needs time to adjust to diet and exercise changes. It's easier to stick with changes if they're made gradually and a little rather than a lot at once.

We bought an elliptical machine and put it in our bedroom. It's pretty impossible to ignore there and it gets used.

I find summer to be the easiest time to eat healthy because of the abundance of good local fruits and vegetables. You don't even have to cook much of it if you don't want to!
Go to a local farmer's market, buy stuff that looks good.
And the most important part - use it before it goes bad.

How do you, if you are able to, keep on a healthy life-style schedule?

Exercise, eating better, reading more, etc. etc.?

My husband and I need to get it together!
Be brutally honest with yourself about how much fast-food you eat. If you did nothing but cut that out, you would be making a significant improvement. Practically anything you make at home would be a less fatty/salty/sugary alternative and have significantly less calories. You don't have to go whole-hog on cooking elaborate meals with lean protein, whole grains and vegetables every night. If time and/or energy are your issues, default to pre-packaged frozen meals, canned soup and easy sandwiches or even the occasional bowl of cereal for dinner. I bet after a month you'd see a very positive difference and the bonus is all the money you'll save. :wave2:

My Fitness App is a free service that you can use to track your activity and food intake. I initially used it to lose weight, and I found it helpful. You do need to be motivated and use it regularly. I linked it w/ my Fitbit to keep track of my activity. It helped me make more mindful choices by tracking calorie intake. They'll try to get you to upgrade, but it really isn't necessary.
Best of luck!

Sugar is addictive, physically addictive. You crave it because your body needs fuel for energy and no longer knows how to get said fuel other than instant gratification of sugar.

I was eating junk food. I'm not a moron, I know the junk is bad. But I craved it and caved every time to the cravings.

I've eliminated snacks and sugar from my grocery list. Guess what happens? I'm out in the kitchen looking for something to eat because I am hungry. I know I'm not hungry though. My body is craving the sugar but I'm not finding anything any more out in the kitchen to settle it.

Now it's been about a month. I don't go out to the kitchen hunting for something to eat because I think I'm hungry from my body craving that sugar. Every time I do it before falling back off the wagon, it's the same thing. I hunt the kitchen in the evenings and after about a month, as it is right now, I find myself not going out to the kitchen any more. And as it always is, the result of that is I'm losing about a pound of weight every 2 days.

I'm not a doctor but that's what I believe. I can't believe the doctors because they all say different things. Just eat real foods and we'd all be skinny like the old days when all people had to eat was real food. The processed stuff is similar to sugar, it's an addiction. I believe it triggers pleasure in the brain rather than the need to use it as fuel for energy like with sugar.

And I believe HFCS is poison and should be banned from our foods. Everything, even junk food, in Canada tasted amazing because it was real sugar and nothing had HFCS.

It is very difficult, I struggle with it. On occasion restaurant food, fast food, junk food, is manageable from a health aspect, but we need to get back to just eating real food.

Exercise is about the only thing that general everyone can do without controversy. Doesn't have to be anything fancy, walking, swimming are all easy and helpful.
Nope. All the fancy folk here may think, "Yeah, just exercise, it's easy." However, do you folk sit on a chair in front of a computer? Or are you out in 115° sweating buckets in massive humidity for 10 hours and after your 4th gallon of liquids you've drank, still think it's easy to go home and do some exercise?

I do what I can to exercise, but that was when I was estranged from my children and had no home. Exercise is easy when you don't have to come home after destroying your body all day at work but still have to cut the grass, or fix the roof, change the brakes on the car, kids need this and that.

The last thing I want to do when I'm getting home at 9-10 pm is do something to get my heart rate and energy going when I have to be up at 5 am and I'm ready to collapse in bed.

Nope. All the fancy folk here may think, "Yeah, just exercise, it's easy." However, do you folk sit on a chair in front of a computer? Or are you out in 115° sweating buckets in massive humidity for 10 hours and after your 4th gallon of liquids you've drank, still think it's easy to go home and do some exercise?

I do what I can to exercise, but that was when I was estranged from my children and had no home. Exercise is easy when you don't have to come home after destroying your body all day at work but still have to cut the grass, or fix the roof, change the brakes on the car, kids need this and that.

The last thing I want to do when I'm getting home at 9-10 pm is do something to get my heart rate and energy going when I have to be up at 5 am and I'm ready to collapse in bed.
Sounds like you get your exercise at work, so no, in that case, not even needed.

Starting is the hardest. I’ve lost 55 pounds in the last 18 months. I’m a 56 year old woman and it takes time.

We’re vegetarians and my biggest problem is sugar. I haven’t eliminated sugar because I would not have lost weight - I’m sure I would have given up and binged. Knowing I can treat myself works well for me.

I use MyFitnessPal. Calories in and calories out. I also bought a Fitbit which has been very beneficial for me.

I knew I had to find an exercise I enjoy. My arms were really flabby so I started walking with hand weights. I put my headphones on and go for 30 - 40 minutes several times a week. It’s made an amazing change in my body and confidence. I’m much stronger. As I age, I just want to be able to move good. I still want to run around. I don’t like being slow. I also do some yoga.

And I mow our lawn. It takes me about 2 hours every week and is a heck of a workout.

we tend to eat much healthier in the summer just by virtue of grilling so much. it's those comfort foods that catch up with us during the colder months that add so many more calories to our diets. that said, i'll focus on some habits we've adopted-

grilling meats and lots of veggies. i grab whatever is the best deal for us to slice (eggplant) or kabob (zucchini, summer squash, mushrooms, bell peppers...). i put them in a container with low calorie/low fat (look for both terms on bottles) salad dressing, or flavored olive oil, or flavored balsamic vinegar (my personal favorite) to marinade. meat that is not dry rubbed is lightly brushed with some form of sauce, but very lightly so we can add a bit more if desired but monitor our intake. if it's not grilled food it's something from one of my low cal cookbooks (grab some southbeach diet cookbooks from a thrift shop for a couple of dollars-the recipes are wonderful)-i do pesto grilled tomatoes, portobello stuffed with a minor amount of marinara, goat cheese, pine nuts and sprinkled with basil-baked to perfection in the oven. if you need some grab and go healthy meals you could try that same book's 'greek sloppy joe', very healthy, very tasty and freezes into individual containers quite well.

to quell sweet cravings i just keep them on hand, but opt for small single serving sizes. mini cups of ice cream and sherbet, single wrapped biscottis, little single serving packages of cookies. we each choose one for dessert each night.

feeling deprived makes us crave items more so we tame the cravings with smaller servings.

Last edited:
Cutting out processed food and junk food will make a big difference. Before you start anything keep a food diary for a week and you will will amazed at what you dont realize you eat. Then take it step by step and start cutting out things.

The HFCS really is what makes American food so terrible. Also start reading ingredient lists, the amount of added sugar in American food is crazy, even in things like bread.

Switch to low fat versions of things. Start making things at home instead of buying. Batch cook meals and freeze them in portions.

Use smaller plates, cut down your portion sizes.

Struggling along with you here. As mentioned, small changes...some that sort of work for me:
...If you can, walk or bike to work. If that's not feasible, park at the farthest end of the lot.
...walk up one, down two (i e. avoid elevator).
...take your lunch to work (healthy) and if you can, walk to a park to enjoy it.
...get involved with walking/hiking/biking/sports groups or plan activities yourself on weekends.
...eat as "close to the farm" as you can. Raw, baked, steamed. No sauces. Maybe a little balsamic vinegar/lemon/olive oil.
...avoid boxes and cans of food.
...limit red meats and white carbs (bread, pasta, rice, sugar)
...limit computer and phone time (I write tapping on my phone while waiting at airport) and watch one news show and maybe one tvv program at night then tv off. So easy to mindlessly watch drivel.
...Do a major clean (dust, vacuum, linen laundry, mop, toilets, etc.) once a week. Pick up, put away, do dishes daily.
...Do yardwork (mow, week, plant, trim) together; once a week.

Small steps...see whaat works.

Last edited:
Just to show the difference, I went to Walmart website and my own grocery store. I picked an item that is cheap and something most people would buy, sandwich bread.

23d11909-4400-4c13-ac1e-6b93cadaf915.f7273fef2d6f76f16270696126dbcf69.jpeg snapshotimagehandler_2095551844.jpeg

Looking at the ingredient list for both, I deleted common ingredients for both.

In the Walmart bread, these were the ingredients not in the Irish bread
Wheat Flour (Malted Barley Flour, Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Riboflavin [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Sugar, Soybean Oil, Datem, Calcium Sulfate, Soy Lecithin, Citric Acid, Grain Vinegar, Potassium Iodate, Monocalcium Phosphate.

In the Irish bread, these were the ingredients not in the Walmart bread
Wheat Flour (Calcium Carbonate), Soya Flour, Preservative (Vegetable Oils and Fats (Palm and Rapeseed), Flour Treatment Agent (Ascorbic Acid)

This is what I mean about the hidden sugars in American food and how much extra chemicals are in American food compared to other countries. People don't realise how bad American food really is, when something like bread contains sugar.

I went to the doctors recently and found I've gained 8 pounds since my last visit. I know that's nothing to most people but to me it is, I'm 5'2" and my weight shows easily. I hate to exercise but I recently lost my job so in the mornings I take my dog for a 25-30 minute walk around the neighborhood.
I also began doing aerobics from YouTube, there's so many to choose from, personally I like Leslie Sanson, Richard Simmons (you can laugh but you get a good workout from his videos) and this YouTuber EMKFit. But pick what you like if aerobics interests you.
I don't have a problem eating my veggies but I know a lot of people do. If you are on a budget canned and frozen veggies and fruit are just as healthy as fresh, just make sure you don't coat them in butters, oils, and salt as tempting as that might be. Try adding a vegetable to one meal a day then maybe add another. I'm also a big fish eater, don't know if you are and I like salmon, tilapia and shrimp, I cook these either in the oven or skillet and try not to use a bunch or oil or salt and I never fry them. Then add either a salad ('m a huge salad eater) or veggies with it for a meal. For me personally my biggest problem is soda, I drink Diet Coke everyday and it's been hard to quit. I'm trying to replace it with 1/2 and 1/2 tea or water, but it's hard, especailly when I live in a house that always has soda available.

I wish you and your husband luck, it's hard but with willpower I hope you both can get there!

What has worked for me is to just cut certain things out and not think about them. If I try to just limit portions, I don't stick with that program.
Right now, trying to lose my pandemic 10 lbs, the rule is no fried things, no creamy things, and no sweets (and that includes sweet drinks.)
There are plenty of other good things to eat and I am losing the weight.

To up my fitness, I got a dog. Walking him several times a day has been really beneficial. I can tell by how my clothes are fitting.

Good luck, @JanetRose . Never easy to change habits.

Moderation is my key - has worked for 75 years!
A sure way for me to want junk is say I can't have it! No diets for me - never saw them last as a way of life.
I can have anything I want, keep chocolate around all the time, but I'm a tough taskmaster (on myself) and keep in check with moderation - works with our children and their families also.

DH and I track calories on MyFitnessPal. We also check our macro levels for Protein, Carb, and Fat percentages and try to keep them where they need to be. We were both routinely getting too high of a percent of calories from fat, despite not eating too many things we thought were particularly high in fat. We try to eat less processed foods and a lot more simple dishes. For DH, I cook a lot of grilled chicken or steak (when on sale) with roasted veggies and plain rice or roasted potatoes. He eats plain whole grain oatmeal with diced fruit and egg whites for breakfast, and leftover chicken and veggies for lunch.

I'm vegetarian and have spent many years not getting anywhere close to enough protein, so I'm making sure to check my protein levels carefully on the app and ensure that I eat meals with protein, which for me includes a lot of fake meat and tofu. We cut out soda and juice and incorporate healthy snacks like fruit and yogurt. We also both drink protein shakes, which is especially beneficial for me being vegetarian.

For exercise, DH has made a habit of going to the gym after work and it's become part of his routine, almost like it's still part of his work day before he can come home. I'm not currently working so since summer began, I've made a habit of taking the kids swimming (we have a pool) or to the park everyday. In the pool, I do exercises, swim laps, and tread water most of the time for some low impact exercise and at the park, I'll walk laps on the track around the playground while the kids play.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter