We just had a baby... what to do with DVC

chrisaman

Mouseketeer
We just had a baby.... well two actually.... twins!!!! Is there anything I should do for them in regards to our overall membership. I applied to make them associate members but it looks like that won't give them much. Is there anything else I should do or is that really it?

Thanks.

party: Congratulations!

Because they live with you, they would qualify for getting APs if you yourselves are blue card members. I do not see any reason to even add them as associates. They could not go up to Epcot Lounge without you anyway, if it is still around and if you qualify since they are not the members, owners.

We just had a baby.... well two actually.... twins!!!! Is there anything I should do for them in regards to our overall membership. I applied to make them associate members but it looks like that won't give them much. Is there anything else I should do or is that really it?

Thanks.

Congratulations!

Actually, cancel the associate membership. As mentioned that just gives them the ability to make and cancel reservation and bank and borrow points. I'd assume you don't want them doing that quite yet. ;) I am not even certain if someone under 18 can be an associate on an account?

If you have a qualified membership they will also get the same discounted AP's while they live with you so you are covered there for a few years. And they can't go on the membership until they are age 18. That does come with other considerations but you have plenty of time to figure out whether that will make sense then or not or maybe they won't even like Disney (gasp!).

When my family bought in, we bought two equal contracts so we could more easily transfer one to each of our kids in the future (no more kids planned). I wonder if you can split your contract(s) fairly now, or if you’re already bought in that it’s better to wait until you’re about to do such an ownership transfer, then work on retitling the contracts?

When my family bought in, we bought two equal contracts so we could more easily transfer one to each of our kids in the future (no more kids planned). I wonder if you can split your contract(s) fairly now, or if you’re already bought in that it’s better to wait until you’re about to do such an ownership transfer, then work on retitling the contracts?

I wish we had done that. Our kids were over 18 went we bought in , so we put their names on the contracts, but that basically so their households can get perks. We didn't think down the road, when we move on. Of course we may make it to our 90's, so then there is no worry.

Don't do anything now and likely don't do anything in the future either. Having your timeshare tied to their name in the future might be a negative. There are some threads about adding children to deeds and such. It is a liability that may not always make sense. Keep it as yours and if at some point they can handle the membership you could gift it to them down the road.

Only adults can be listed on a contract or be made an associate members. Associate members only have the right to make or cancel reservations. I would not make your children associates until you are no longer making reservations yourself. Enjoy your time as a mother of twins. Congratulations and like others have said try to get some sleep when you can.

Congrats!
1BR+ are great for washer/dryer, dishwasher (bottle duty) and refrigerator with freezer.

Just take advantage of as many trips as possible while they are “free” (< 3 year old means no park tickets or buffet costs)
And then take advantage of “child” rates.

Do you have a will? If something happens who will take care of the kids. Who will control the DVC and other properties until they reach the appropriate age.

Do you need to set up a trust or will one come into existence on your death so property is transferred in a way the kids will Get them or the proceeds if there is a sale?

A problem I see with adding kids to the deed is a possible future divorce where the ex-spouse of one of your kids n ow owns your DVC.

No expert at all, but how would the ex spouse now own the DVC"? At worse wouldn't he/she only own one part (in our case 1/8)?

I think you just add it to your will, but I'm not even sure that's necessary as by default assets go to the surviving spouse, or next of kin. That said, if you want to organize the way assets are transferred, I suppose you could give instructions to have the membership transferred to a trust until the children are adults.

My twins will turn 20 next month while we are at WDW (so, yes, they still love going). They are not on our deeds nor were they made associates. Their drivers license is still our hone address so they still get DVC AP pricing. When at WDW we have to take them up to the DVC lounge or TOTWL and use our blue card to get them in. I also have to be with them shopping to get discount. Sometimes they will buy something and show me later and I am like 'ug, you could have gotten my DVC discount'. Though they have AP cards and can use those for discounts too...but they forget.

Anyway...enjoy twin life. It is a wild ride. First 2-3 years will be a blur. Those years are gone from my memory. But they will always have each other...through tough HS years and beyond. My 2 are at same college and it is nice they have each other.

No expert at all, but how would the ex spouse now own the DVC"? At worse wouldn't he/she only own one part (in our case 1/8)?

Well, anything can happen.

But at the least someone would likely have to buy the ex out of his/her share.

And needing to do that is how things get sold when the other spouse didn’t want to sell.

It’s what my ex expected with our almost brand new (to us) house and the DVC. Thankfully he saw the light (close relatives backed me up financially and one is a parter in a top 10 law firm, so...) and walked away without anything like that needing to happen.

But our situation was very abnormal.

My experience with twins is that they still like going to WDW...at age 35

My experience with my kid is that he’s 14 and hasn’t wanted to go to a WDW park since January 2015. And isn’t going with me (partially out of choice and partially bc of his dance schedule) this month, either. Kids are tricky little things!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter