We didn't come to Disney to sleep!! - A Honeymoon TR; 9/2 Garden Grill

Mocharilla

DIS Veteran
Alright. My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in Disney! :goodvibes

We got engaged there August 2008 (you can read about it in our other TR), so we had to go back.

Details, details, details, right?

Who: Me and my husband, Nic.
What: Our honeymoon!
Where: Disney's Polynesian Resort, plus one night at All Star Sports
When: August 2nd-10th, 2009.
Package: MYW w/ Deluxe DDP

Enjoy! :)

Table of Contents:
Intro (This post)

August 2nd, 2009: Arrival/Downtown Disney
Part 01: Arrival and Tea
Part 02: Downtown Disney + Raglan Road

August 3rd, 2009: Epcot
Part 03: 1900 Park Fare + Epcot Morning
Part 04: Le Cellier + Epcot Afternoon
Part 05: Garden Grill

Well, after a long crazy day of getting married, we spent the night at the airport Westin. We woke up the next morning and headed down to the check-in and security. Got in, got on the plane, no issues.

Here's the stars of this TR on the plane:
DSCN1336.jpg

DSCN1334.jpg

And our weird faces in attempting to take good pictures:
DSCN1335.jpg

DSCN1339.jpg

We got off the plane and headed to the ME. My uncle stopped by (he works at the Orlando airport) since he couldn't make it to the wedding due to work and surprised us.

We got to ME, waited maybe 5 minutes, and up pulled a bus! Little did we know that would be our only good bus service all week, but that's a story for later in the TR.

We're almost there!
DSCN1340.jpg

Yaaaay!
DSCN1344.jpg

And the Poly is the first stop. Sweet :)

Oh, Poly, how I love you.
DSCN1347.jpg

We checked in and found out we were in Tahiti. A quick side note on our thoughts on that. We loved being so close to the beach! But, we definitely found it faster to walk to the TTC unless we were going to another resort. It was closer, and mostly shaded. The only thing we didn't like was the distance from the GCH, because we barely used our mugs due to the walk.

Well, our room wasn't ready, so we wandered a while, and decided to go to Captain Cook's
DSCN1348.jpg

We got two yogurt parfaits because we thought tea wouldn't be much food (we were wrong).
DSCN1349.jpg

They were good, but frozen.

Side note: On food, I'll give a basic thought on each dish, but if you want really in depth, my dining review is going to have that. I'll be writing it together with this.

Well, since our room wasn't ready and we were bored, we headed to the GF. We had tea reservations, but not for almost two hours. We walked around for a bit and explored. Then, we finally headed down to the tea room. I went up to the lady and explained that we hoped to get in early, and she told us no problem since they weren't busy, and sat us right away. She did make sure to note we had arrived for our reservation so they knew we wouldn't be there then.

Happy to be seated!
DSCN1351.jpg

And here's the menu:
DSCN1352.jpg

Mmmm, sugar cubes!
DSCN1353.jpg

Yes, I ate one.

We went with the Buckingham Palace tea.

Nic got the Nobo Whole Fruit:
DSCN1354.jpg

It was SUPER sweet. Much moreso than we expected. But, still good.

I got the Princess Breakfast Tea:
DSCN1355.jpg

Nic really liked it. I thought it was a little weird, but good. It reminded me a little bit of cough syrup, so I didn't totally love it.

First of the food was the sandwiches:
DSCN1359.jpg

There is an onion tart that was a little too weird for me. Not a big fan of sweet onion things. There were five sandwiches. Egg Salad, Chicken Salad, Shrimp Salad, Pear and Gorgonzola, and Cucumber and Watercress. I subbed an extra egg salad instead of shrimp, and Ali subbed an extra chicken salad instead of egg. They were all totally delicious!

Next up was the scone and tart round.
DSCN1360.jpg

The scone was delicious! Moist, and just sweet enough. The tart was good, but nothing special.

Now, normally, they let you each choose two pastries. But, we were on our honeymoon, so they told us to each choose three!

Here's the tiramisu, raspberry swan, and chocolate covered eclair.
DSCN1362.jpg

The tiramisu was very good, even though I usually don't like coffee flavoring. The raspberry swan was very strange. The raspberry was good, but the pastry was... not quite gross, but just not good. The chocolate eclair was just okay for me, but Nic really liked it.

And here's the fruit mousse, chocolate covered strawberry, and banana cake.
DSCN1363.jpg

The fruit mousse was strawberry and mango. We thought it was very light and perfect. The chocolate covered strawberry was just that. But, we noticed it was well made. The chocolate actually stayed attached after a bite and didn't all fall off. The banana cake was by far our favorite. So delicious!!

Coming up: Tour of our room, and Downtown Disney (with dinner at Raglan Road)

Welcome Back and Congrats on the wedding! Waiting for more and some wedding pics.

Congratulations!

I'm curious - how did your DH enjoy the tea? Did he feel comfortable? I think I might be able to convince mine with the promise of sandwiches....

Can't wait for more!

Mrs. SPratt

Welcome Back Can't wait to see and hear more:goodvibes.

Thank you! :goodvibes Glad to have you along for another TR!

Yay! Subscribing!

Yay! And Nicole's here, too!! :cool1:

Yay for a Disneymoon!

Signing on to follow along.

Yay! Welcome!! :banana:

Welcome Back and Congrats on the wedding! Waiting for more and some wedding pics.

Yay janloz!! :rotfl: Everyone's here. (Well, not quite. Missing a few still, but shhh...)

Congratulations!

I'm curious - how did your DH enjoy the tea? Did he feel comfortable? I think I might be able to convince mine with the promise of sandwiches....

Can't wait for more!

Mrs. SPratt

Thank you! :yay:

He really enjoyed it! He didn't feel weird at all, like it was some weird girly thing. There were lots of other guys there, too. And none seemed too annoyed, that I could tell.

Although, he does have a weird thing for tea... :sad2:

Well, during tea, we got the text that our room was ready!! So, we headed back to the Poly after tea. We were in 1014, which is the first floor, all the way to the West side of the floor (first room when you come in the building), facing away from MK. Sweet. First floor, and near the door. We like that.

So, we dropped our stuff and headed over to the bus stop for DTD. We waited about 10 minutes, and the bus came, and we got on.

First up, Goofy's.
DSCN1374.jpg

DSCN1373.jpg

DSCN1375.jpg

We each got a make-your-own. Unfortunately, I didn't upload those pictures yet. But, they'll be posted in my snack post. (I plan to do "side note" posts, with things like photopass pictures, snacks, our room, wedding pictures, etc) Nic got the rice krispie treat with dark chocolate, M&Ms, butterfinger, and caramel. I got the pretzel rods: dark choc with dark/white choc chips and milk drizzle, white with oreo and milk drizzle, and milk with peanuts and caramel drizzle. All delicious!!

We then walked around and visited the rest of the shops
DSCN1376.jpg

Legos!

DSCN1377.jpg

These were all little lego guys on the wall. Pretty cool.

We caught a glimpse of the new T-Rex restaurant:
DSCN1378.jpg

Then, we headed into Pleasure Island. It's very strange right now, if you haven't been there since it closed. All the buildings are still there, just not lit up and closed. Kinda freaky, like looking across Hourglass Lake at Pop Century at the unfinished buildings.

Anyways, on to Raglan Road!
DSCN1379.jpg

Nic was so excited about eating here the whole time we were planning, so we were excited to get there.

First came the soda bread:
DSCN1383.jpg

And the dip:
DSCN1384.jpg

We got what they were trying to do with the dip, but it wasn't working. My mom makes soda bread, and I like it, but this was really dry and not good. Worrying start.

I got the Lickin Chicken:
DSCN1385.jpg

Overall, I LOVED this dish.

Nic got the soup of the day, a Canadian Beer and Cheese soup.
DSCN1394.jpg

So delicious!! Gave Le Cellier's a run for their money (but the pretzel bread makes them win).

I got the Goat's Town:
DSCN1396.jpg

It was good, but after a few bites, it was very overwhelming.

Nic got the fish and chips:
DSCN1395.jpg

He thought it was really good.

For dessert, I got the Triple Your Pleasure:
DSCN1398.jpg

The white was PERFECT. The milk was a little thin and the taste reminded me of when you try to make chocolate milk and put in too much chocolate syrup. The dark chocolate was a little thick for my taste, but it tasted delicious!

Nic got the Dunbrody's Kiss:
DSCN1400.jpg

It had a really good chocolate taste to it, but there were these weird chunks in it.

Very cool time at DTD.

I'm excited about getting to do a make-your-own at Goofy's!

Hi Summer!

Congrats to you and DH! Can't wait to read more

Yay! I'm here! I'm looking forward to it all - looks like you are off to a pretty good start with the tea and DTD. The Lego Man wall is really neat - we've never been in that store.

You are going to share wedding pics, right????! :hyper:

I love the new text messaging system, I almost don't want my room to be ready when I check in just to use it! lol

Very cool time at DTD.

I'm excited about getting to do a make-your-own at Goofy's!

I totally dork out about it, too! :goodvibes

Hi Summer!

Congrats to you and DH! Can't wait to read more

Thank you! Well, more is coming up tonight!! :banana:

Yay! I'm here! I'm looking forward to it all - looks like you are off to a pretty good start with the tea and DTD. The Lego Man wall is really neat - we've never been in that store.

You are going to share wedding pics, right????! :hyper:

Good. I was starting to get worried that you got lost! :rotfl: I never noticed the lego man wall before, so when I did notice it, I got excited. :yay: Jacques would have such a blast in there now, but I'm pretty sure the people who hate to sort the bins would hate us. :lmao: You guys should check it out.

Of course!! I'm waiting for them to come back from the photographer, and then I'll port them! :cutie: I can't wait to get them.

I love the new text messaging system, I almost don't want my room to be ready when I check in just to use it! lol

lol, Yeah. I did get totally excited, and I won't ever delete it. :goodvibes

(Warning, I almost directly copied the 1900 PF part from my dining review)

We started off the day by hopping a monorail for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.

It all started okay. We sat down and ordered orange juice and chocolate milk for both of us. Server seemed friendly. We could see the characters making their way around. Alright.

Then I asked where the bathroom was. This was the first of many restaurants where the bathroom is outside the restaurant. I hate that. I should not have to trek across the hotel for a bathroom. So, I go, letting the guy standing at the door know that's where I'm going, and do I need to do anything special to get back in. He says no, it's fine. So, I go, and come back, and it's another guy standing there, and he's all suspicious. I'm like "Do people never have to pee?! This place is filled with children. Are you kidding?" and finally after pointing out my table and telling him my name and reservation time (which he didn't check while I was there, but seemed to reassure him), he let me go. So, I'm grumpy when I get back to the table.

Alright, let's go get food, and see if that cheers me up.

Here's Nic's plate:
DSCN1401.jpg

That's strawberry soup up in the corner. Then, clockwise around the plate, pineapple, croissant, potatoes, ham, sausage in the middle.

The soup was good, but more creamy and less strawberry-y than we'd hoped for. The pineapple was really good and juicy and sweet. Nic informed me that the croissant want "not croissant-y enough". Take that for whatever you want. :lmao: The potatoes were good, but a little bland. The ham was super good. Our favorite thing. And the sausage was "sausage-y" according to Nic (which he explained as meaning, it tastes like sausage, and it's not bad, but not super good).

And here's my plate:
DSCN1403.jpg

Starting at the bagel, going clockwise: bagel with cream cheese and tomato, potatoes, yogurt with granola, bacon, ham, breakfast pizza, sticky bun.

The bagel itself was stale. The granola was stale. The bacon was gross (although I never had good bacon, except at Kona, the whole trip). The breakfast pizza was okay. And the sticky roll itself was good, but the nuts tasted weird. Yeah, not so happy with my plate.

And a close up shot of the soup:
DSCN1402.jpg

Now, during our trip up, she brought our drinks, and we returned to one glass of chocolate milk. We didn't think too much of it, and thought we'd ask for another one. Little did we know, we would not see her for over 40 minutes. We ate, and were not necessarily full, but not hungry anymore. Then we sat and waited. And waited. And waited. All the characters came around.
DSCN1404.jpg

DSCN1405.jpg

DSCN1406.jpg

DSCN1407.jpg

DSCN1412.jpg

DSCN1413.jpg

DSCN1415.jpg

DSCN1416.jpg

And then started to come around again. And we were getting pissed. Finally, we saw another server, and asked her to please get us our server. So, she finally comes out, acting like nothing's wrong, and I'm like, "Can we please get our check now? We've been done for quite a while." So, she gets us our check. Then, she disappears for another 15 minutes to freaking run our card. I was livid by the time we left.

So, yeah, awful time. But, it's time for Epcot!!

We started by going to Soarin and getting a fastpass, and then visiting The Seas a bit.

We saw the Jammitors.
DSCN1417.jpg

Kinda cool show.

Then, of course, time for Club Cool!
DSCN1419.jpg

Then we grabbed Test Track fastpasses, since our old ones were up already!

We went to Mousegears to pick up some souvenirs (those will be pictured in the souvenir post).

DSCN1422.jpg

Time for the World Showcase!

We like to start in Canada, plus we had lunch reservations here, so that was first!
DSCN1423.jpg

Hotel du canada
DSCN1424.jpg

The waterfall
DSCN1425.jpg

DSCN1427.jpg

O'Canada (no, we didn't watch it)
DSCN1426.jpg

The gardens
DSCN1428.jpg

Next up, time for Le Cellier!!

I found it!
Looking forward to seeing wedding pics. I'm sorry your bfast at 1900 Park Fare was disappointing. Our server was great but I was a bit let down by Mary Poppins. details to come in our TR.

We loved Raglan Road. Made us feel very at home. Great food!

Ugh-we had a similar experience with the waiting forever and ever and ever at Chef Mickey's last year. Our waitress totally disappeared! We had to flag down another for help. Drives me nuts when they do that! Thankfully the amazing character interaction we had made the night a wonderful memory!

I found it!
Looking forward to seeing wedding pics. I'm sorry your bfast at 1900 Park Fare was disappointing. Our server was great but I was a bit let down by Mary Poppins. details to come in our TR.

We loved Raglan Road. Made us feel very at home. Great food!

They'll be posted once I get them! :goodvibes Oh, really? Well, I'll be joining in! :thumbsup2

Ugh-we had a similar experience with the waiting forever and ever and ever at Chef Mickey's last year. Our waitress totally disappeared! We had to flag down another for help. Drives me nuts when they do that! Thankfully the amazing character interaction we had made the night a wonderful memory!

Ugh, Chef Mickey's. Bad experience last year, bad experience this year. :headache:

Alright, coming up... Le Cellier and the World Showcase afternoon!

Warning: This was another place with weird lighting, so a few pictures are a little weird.

Well, we were here last year, and loved it, so we came back.

Our quick opinion regarding the LeCe controversy: We love it, but is it the best place on property? No. Compared to most of the 2 credits and stuff, yeah, it's not as good. But, as far as non-signatures go, we think it's pretty dang good.

We started with some smoothies (covered on the DxDDP)
DSCN1430.jpg

I got sour apple, Nic got Strawberry. I thought the sour apple was okay, but too sour for me. Nic thought the strawberry was good. But, I really loved the strawberry, and he really loved the sour apple, so we switched! Both are really delicious, but be warned, that sour apple is SOUR. Or at least, mine was.

Bread Basket!
DSCN1431.jpg

There's of course, the delicious pretzel bread. Sooo good. The multigrain and sourdough were also very very good.

I got the cheese soup.
DSCN1432.jpg

Yummmmm. Just as good as last year! Especially with the pretzel bread. Holy crap, delish.

Nic got the Spicy Chicken and Chorizo Sausage:
DSCN1433.jpg

Now, I'm not a fan of super spicy, and the girl did warn us this was spicy. But, it was soooo good. Yes, it was spicy, but with the polenta, it was a little less edgy, and it was just so delicious. We were so glad he went with it.

We both got the filet, without the mushrooms. I got it with the cream cheese potatoes:
DSCN1434.jpg

My filet was wonderful and tender. The potatoes were, of course, delicious. My uncle makes them really well, and these reminded me so much of his.

Nic ordered it with the potato gratin:
DSCN1436.jpg

He thought that his was delicious. And, the gratin was good, but nothing super special.

We got a side of poutine (not included on the DxDDP), because we love it (Nic's Canadian so this kind of stuff is normal to him).
DSCN1435.jpg

It was weird. It was regular cheese, not cheese curds, and the gravy was weird. It was okay, but we weren't too big of fans.

For dessert, we got the maple creme brulee, and the chocolate mousse.
DSCN1437.jpg

We got a special pretty plate! And this was the first of many "Don't eat the Mickey balloons!" we got. They hurt. The creme brulee was really good, but one part was a little too burnt. I like it more lightly bruleed. Kinda like, in the middle of where this dish was (half burnt to a crisp, half barely touched). The mousse was delicious, but super rich.

Well, it was time to head to Mexico!
DSCN1438.jpg

We decided to ride the Grand Fiesta tour.
DSCN1439.jpg

DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

DSCN1442.jpg

Then, it became time for our Kim Possible fastpass.
DSCN1443.jpg

We did the China one:
DSCN1444.jpg

It was pretty cool. But, it was so hot, we didn't do more than the one.

Back to Norway to ride Maelstrom:
DSCN1445.jpg

And explore the shops:
DSCN1446.jpg

After this, we moved on to continue the world showcase. On our way past China to Germany, it started to drizzle. Then, while we explored the shops in Germany, it started to pour. So, no pictures. We finished Germany, and braved the run to Italy. Then, we explored those shops. Still raining. Time for America. We ran again. We walked in and the Voices of Liberty were singing. So, we went to watch them. A guy came over, seeing our pins, and invited us to come with him. He took us to an elevator and took us up to the upper balcony for a good spot to watch the show. He gave us a Magical Moment card. Then, when it came time for the American Adventure to start, he led us in and let us sit wherever we wanted before anyone else was allowed in.

I'm going to say something awful here. We were so tired, I fell asleep. I watched most of it, but I was just so tired. We hadn't fully recovered from the wedding, and we were tired.

We got out of the show, and it was STILL raining. So, off to Japan. We explored over there a bit, until going to the boat dock. We hopped the boat and headed to our dinner at Garden Grill, and it was still raining.

Now, we're used to rain. We know it usually rains every day, for just a little bit. "Florida rain". This was ridiculous. It only rained two days, and both days, it was like this.

Next up, Garden Grill.

LC continues to be a fave for us too. Its a sentimental one I guess. Love Love Love the soup. Even though its not on the DDP I get it anyway just to taste that smooth goodness.

I am surprised you were able to go go go like you did before crashing.:lmao:
Its so easy to get overtired during a wedding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter