We didn’t know about this!

Suz333

Mouseketeer
We’re relatively new to camping. After 5 years of research we found a 5th wheel floor plan we liked in spring of 2020, and pulled the trigger a few months later. We haven’t camped a whole lot yet because our vacation time was already spoken for in 2020, and most of 21/22.

We researched a lot. We knew about putting mesh grids to keep insects out of the furnace and fridge vents. We know not to store food in the camper to avoid inviting bugs and rodents. We plan our camping weekends in advance. We have a checklist and we follow it.

But we’re about to head out for a short local camping trip and encountered an unexpected issue: a bird’s nest in the pin! I guess it made a great spot: protected from rain and wind by the fifth wheel bedroom above, off the ground and away from the snakes and possums, plenty of trees and nesting material nearby,etc.

We just had to relocate the nest because we doubt the baby birds would survive the pin on the highway. Their nest is now in a hanging basket on a tall shepherd’s hook, under some trees just about 10 feet from the pin.

Can I just say: this was not in the brochure!!

We’re plotting out some ways to prevent a repeat performance once we get back. In the meantime, what sort of other unexpected hiccups have y’all found that slowed you down on a departure day?

Attachments

• BA029489-4112-4779-A973-877F1FA7393B.jpeg
    BA029489-4112-4779-A973-877F1FA7393B.jpeg
    161.9 KB · Views: 10
We have the same issue each spring. I usually bungee a trash bag around the pin box. I need to get a more permanent solution, like chicken wire or something. It's getting old cleaning out the box.

They have filled mine up too. At one of the DIS Meets in 2020, I remember sitting around and watching the birds fly in and out of the pin box on my old 5er. It is a pretty good place for a nest. Covered, off the ground and big enough for a family.

j

We had a dove make her nest under the Toy Hauler at the back. GrumpyAggie just moved the nest close to where it was.

Commercial product wise you have things like the Hitch Vest. Others have installed mesh in various ways to keep them out. I Already use peppermint oil soaked cotton balls to keep pests out of the camper, someone said it worked on birds. After a recent nest I threw a few soaked cotton balls in there and so far no nest this year. YMMV on that but it seems to be working

We had the same problem, we actually discovered it the first time after a 4 hour drive to hubby's parents house. After we unhitched and set up I kept hearing the chirping and could figure out where the heck it was coming from. Finally tracked it down. Only one baby had survived so we relocated the nest but I know that one probably didn't make it since mom was still back home. After that we knew to look. Hubby put one of the red plastic stacking blocks we bought and never used in there after that so mom can't get around and get in there.

I can't think of anything else that slows us down on departure day but after three years and lots of trips, we pretty much have it down to a science. By the way, I do use a list for my inside stuff, hubby has one but doesn't use it for his outside stuff. I wish he would because the last thing on the list is to make sure the dog and I are in the truck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!