[WDWCP] What courses did you take and what did you think of them?

Rayn

Earned My Ears
I have been looking over the syllabi for the courses offered during the WDWCP. While the descriptions are fairly thorough, I'd be very interested to hear some first hand opinions of the courses that people took.

I was specifically interested in Organizational Leadership, but since I may only have time for 1 or 2 courses (I'm not on the advantage program), the practicum is also attractive as it seems to be a mix of all the other courses and I like the idea that it would offer a cross-section of all the other various classes.

If anyone would like to share their opinion on the learning portion of the WDWCP, I'd love to hear about it.

Anthony

In all honesty, I don't remember the classes I took, but I took four... I found none of them actually helpful though... They're fun if you make friends in the classes so you could do projects together - If your school requires you to take the classes, then it's not a problem...however, if you choose to take them on your own, you'll probably end up not showing up anymore. ;)

Which courses did you take?
What do you mean they weren't helpful?
Did you take one that pertained to your major?

The Disney classes are not what they are cracked up to be.

I took the communications course - sort of. It was in the middle of my day off, and I wasn't getting credit from my school. So eventually me and a few others just dropped out and spent the day playing at the parks instead.

Another annoyance was trying to type up a paper for the class. The computer labs are sooo small, and you are lucky to get a 15-30 minute time slot. I think Chatham had 8 computers total you could use for 15 minutes slots.

So don't plan on taking correspondence classes from your college unless you bring your own computer.

...There's actually high speed internet in each of the apts now, so if you can it would be beneficial to bring a lap top. Most are lightweight nowadays. And they're almost a necessity for college students now, especially in dorms.

do i have to take classes and if so what is the minimum(since i plan to do this after i graduate)

No, you don't have to pay - its one of the benefits of attending the college program. However, if you want credit for them, some universities treat them as a work study program and will want you to pay tuition. The school I attend will allow me to transfer the credits in after the semester is over like Disney was an actual university. You'd have to speak with your career development center or academic advisor to determine which camp your school belongs to.

I am located in Putnam County, NY, which is about 30 minutes north of Manhattan up the Saw Mill.

Some (most) of the classes have a small fee, and almost all of them require you to buy the book. Before I got down here, I was planning on taking as many as possible (up to 4 since I'm advantage), but when I got all the information, I was a little nonplussed. My school gives me credit for the internship, but not the courses, so I opted not to pay the $100 "resources" fee for the hospitality course, and ultimately none at all. For me, it makes more sense to take the seminars and little courses offered through the Disney Learning Center. They are free, much more interesting, and you sign up as you go. They are really cool, too!

And friends have told me that the courses are really just basic overviews of the field. So, if your major is Hospitality, and you've taken any sort of Intro to Hospitality already, then its a giant waste of time reviewing stuff you already know. And the communications course is just a public speaking/speech class.

What type of courses are offered through the Disney Learning Center? That sounds pretty interesting.

I took two classes back in the Fall of 2002: Human Resource Management (this is my major) and Organizational Leadership. The Leadership class was good, if a little boring. We did several tests, including Myers-Brigg, etc. to determine what our leadership personality was. The teacher was a great guy who would always help you out. Most of the projects and papers in this class were group projects. What ended up happening with me was that the people I sat with the first day (they have round tables) ended up being my group the entire class time. It turned out good though and I made some friends I probably would not have.

The Human Resource Management was ok. I pretty much already knew most of the material because that is my major, so it was kind of a waste of time. I had hoped for more insight into the Disney HR but didn't really get thatn. Again, the teacher was very nice and helpful. The perk to this class was that I met two HR representatives that worked in the Beach Club and had I wanted to stay in Orlando and pursue a career, I beleive that would have been very beneficial.

In hindsight, if you don't "have to" take two courses, then I would only take one at the most. It does take time away from the parks, and it could be time better spent having fun in my opinion. They will schedule your off days to be the same day as your class so you off days are shot until the class ends. All in all it is a nice way to get college credit while you are there, but if it wouldn't have been for that, I probabl wouldn't have done it. :)

Oh yeah, and they make you semi-dress up for these classes. No pajama bottoms, jeans, sweatshirts, etc. You have to wear "casual-professional" clothing, which is just ridiculous because you never go anywhere.

The Learning Center offers all sorts of classes. They have a My Disney Career series that involves networking, resume, personal branding...stuff like that. They are pretty cool. They have what they call "networking" opportunities called Spotlight On..., Career Insights, and Conversations With. These take cast members from all over, or just different roles and areas, to give you a chance to meet people and see other areas. These too can be cool, even if you don't care about that person or area. Everyone has a cool story to tell.

Then they have some that are taught by the WDW Ambassadors. I like these. They are usually something pretty in depth, like the creation and evolution of the college program or the differences between the two Magic Kingdom-style parks.

They also have some just plain cool ones, like the other day I took one taught by Jim Korkis (a Disney uber-historian, and really cool, funny guy) about the Haunted Mansion that Never Was. He showed some coold footage of imagineers working on the development of this ride, and he told some cool stories of what they planned on doing and tried doing that didn't work. They have so so so many more. Its kind of exciting when the monthly calendar comes out with new classes.

They also have classes on Excel, Outlook, Word...stuff like that.

They have tons more that I can't think of. Those are just some that I've taken so far.

And they have netG Learning classes on line. These aren't interesting, or cool, but they are beneficial if you plan on trying for a PI or MI. They like to see these things on your resume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter