WDW with Service Dogs

Liv Riley

Disnerd
I will be going to WDW with my roommates next October (2018) and two of us have service dogs. I have some questions!

01. We will be there October 13 - 19th, will it be unbearably hot during the day? We're coming from Texas, so we know heat, I just want to be prepared.

02. Is the accessible room worth the investment at POP!, or can we get away with a preferred room? I know we're all gonna have to cram in there but it's cheap and we can't afford a deluxe resort and also be able to eat LOL

03. Seriously, how bad are the drive-by petters? We have big black doodle dogs (Swissy x Standard Poodle) and one is seizure alert and mobility and mine is mobility and psych.

04. What are your favorite places to take pictures of your service dog around the parks or resorts? We all do it.

05. Best magical moments with your service dog?

06. Did you ever have any issues with other service dogs in the park or any access disputes?

07. Best dining experiences?

08. If you've done the Sci Fi Drive-In Diner, was it easy with a service animal? That's my favorite place to eat in Hollywood now that Pizza Planet isn't Pizza Planet anymore. :(

09: MNSSHP with service dogs... did you dress your dog up? Was it a good experience or bad? What should I know?

One suggestion for best photo would be taking one with Pluto they now have Mickey ears for dogs. So you could if you want get a pair and just take random pics like he on vacation by him self. Another fun thing would be get an autograph book and have all the character sign it for him and take a pic with them.

Again just a suggestion have fun and you should have no problem.

With the room not to be disrespectful but is their any needs you would need a accessible room your dog can go in any type of room. It just depend on if their something in the accessible room like loser bed or grab bars in the shower or tub or other things like that.

1. Really hard to tell. Sometimes October is mild, sometimes it is hot. Sometimes it is lovely and dry and sometimes it is not stop rain.

2. Accessible will depend on what you need. Do you need an accessible room for a wheelchair or mobility issues or can you physically do with a standard room. You say roommates and 2 of you have service dogs. How many roommates will be going?

3. Drive by petters again depends. CMs will (or at least should know) not to bother a working dog. Sadly the other guests will depend on who you come across. Sadly not all parents teach their kids the appropriate way to approach a dog let alone a service dog. I will admit I smile a ton even when seeing a working dog and might say omg a doggo because I love dogs but would never pet any dog at Disney because I assume if the dog is at Disney it is a service dog since pets are not allowed.

4. I've seen a ton of cute photos with Pluto. I also like photos of doggos in ride vehicles as long as it isn't ruining the ride for others. (The people mover, the dumbo photo seat, etc).

5. I don't have a service dog so can't say. Again Pluto seems to really like other dogs though.

6. Sadly again it depends. Some people bring in very ill behaved dogs or have more dogs then they can realistically control. This does open the ability for issues to arise. If you feel like another dog is not acting as a service dog is you can always stop by Guest Relations and let them know there is a bad service dog in the park. Hopefully if CMs catch it they won't be there much longer.

7. again can't help no service dog.

8. If you think it would be an issue you can be asked ot sit at the patio tables in the back instead of the car. That would help with the service dogs as they would have space at your feet unlike the cars.

9. I've seen dressed up dogs. Again no personal experience but when I was a CM it seemed the service dogs that are dressed up are the ones that get the most attention. Kids just can't handle themselves around a dressed up dog.

Thanks guys! I'll ask my roommates (4 adults in our party total) if we think we need an accessible room or not. We will have a trailer for our medical stuff so we may not have to worry about wheelchairs in the room and only use them for distances.

I will be going to WDW with my roommates next October (2018) and two of us have service dogs. I have some questions!

Howdy neighbor! We're from Oklahoma, so I know what you mean about the weather - and October is lovely at WDW. Warm, but typically not too hot days, and cool nights (bring a jacket) We typically dress in layers that can be removed or reapplied as needed, and rolled up and put into a backpack when not needed. It can be rainy, and last year during our Sept-Oct trip we had a hurricane, so bring or buy a poncho (or two!)

We don't have a service animal, but (we are currently at WDW) and today I saw two SAs-in-training with two handlers. They had them in the middle (literally) of the Emporium on Main Street in MK right after the Parade. It was insanely busy, but the dogs were perfect. Both had their SA vests on, and I only saw one child try to pet the dog, and that parent prevented the child from touching the dog.

Google "Orlando weather October" and you should get some websites that will tell you the averages; remember that average temps are just that - the mathematical *average* of all collected temperatures for that day/week/month.

Have a great trip!

I had the same question about eating at the Sci-Fi Diner with a service dog, actually.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter