WDW with a Toddler, or A Tour of WDW Play Areas - May 2012 - *FIN 5/30*

Congrats on the 5K!!! That is great!

I was wanting to stay at POFQ, but dd8 nixed that idea as soon as she saw the masks. :lmao:

Maybe next time!

Hi there! Joining in and enjoying it! We're taking our 14/15 month old in October or November and considering POFQ, so I'm looking forward to reading how your trip goes! What a CUTE shirt you got for Andrew. I'll have to remember to get one for my munchkin when the time comes. :thumbsup2

Your trip is coming up very soon! How exciting!! Does your son know about the trip or are you surprising him? (Sorry if I missed that info along the way.) Or would he even understand at that age? I'm a new mom so I'm not sure what to expect as far as understanding things like WDW at any given age. :rotfl:

Hi there! Joining in and enjoying it! We're taking our 14/15 month old in October or November and considering POFQ, so I'm looking forward to reading how your trip goes! What a CUTE shirt you got for Andrew. I'll have to remember to get one for my munchkin when the time comes. :thumbsup2

Your trip is coming up very soon! How exciting!! Does your son know about the trip or are you surprising him? (Sorry if I missed that info along the way.) Or would he even understand at that age? I'm a new mom so I'm not sure what to expect as far as understanding things like WDW at any given age. :rotfl:

:welcome: And welcome to the First-Time Mom Club!

I tell Andrew every day that we're going to Disney World or "going to Mickey's house," but I don't think he really gets it. We listen to music from the parks on the way to daycare and sometimes I'll pull up attraction videos on YouTube and show them to him, but right now he has such a short attention span that we don't get very far.

I can't wait to see how the trip goes, too. It will definitely be different from any trip DH and I have taken, which we are totally fine with; we just can't wait to watch DS take it all in. I'm planning for lots of down time in and outside of the parks, but otherwise it's kind of a crap shoot.

You will have to let me know what y'all decide!

In other news...

In exactly 28 days, we will be on our way! :woohoo:

Last night I dreamed that I woke up one morning and realized it was Departure Day, so I had to run around frantically packing everything so we could get on the road. When I told DH about it this morning, his reaction was "As if you could forget about our trip." He knows me too well. ;)

I can see why you changed resorts. I still would suggest giving CSR a try in the future. I love that resort!

You are sooooooooooooooooooooo close to your trip now!! I can't wait for this to turn in to a TRIP REPORT and see pics!

Congrats on the 5k!! I need to get back to my running. Been off since just before we went to Disney :laughing: Good choice on POFQ. We really liked the room we had. Only thing I didn't like was that the fridge doesn't have a freezer space so we couldn't freeze the freezer packs for Alex's bottle carrier.

:welcome: And welcome to the First-Time Mom Club!

I tell Andrew every day that we're going to Disney World or "going to Mickey's house," but I don't think he really gets it. We listen to music from the parks on the way to daycare and sometimes I'll pull up attraction videos on YouTube and show them to him, but right now he has such a short attention span that we don't get very far.

I can't wait to see how the trip goes, too. It will definitely be different from any trip DH and I have taken, which we are totally fine with; we just can't wait to watch DS take it all in. I'm planning for lots of down time in and outside of the parks, but otherwise it's kind of a crap shoot.

You will have to let me know what y'all decide!

Thank you!! That's a great idea about listening to the park music and YouTube. I've also heard about the "Sing-Along Songs Disneyland" DVD on Amazon and I'll probably use that to try and indoctrinate...errr, I mean...educate and inspire him to recognize the characters. ;)

Sounds like you have a great attitude towards trip expectations. I'm working on reshaping my expectations - I'm trying to remind myself that this trip will be unlike any we've taken before, and that it will be all about going with DS's flow. If I don't get to ride my beloved EE, for example, I will survive! :laughing: I, too, can't wait to see the look on my DS's face. I know it will be better than any thrill ride could ever be!

I think I change my mind daily about where to stay, but POFQ appeals to me because of the small size, and we've never stayed in a moderate. I've considered starting a PTR of my own, but I think I'm too much of a newbie, as far as post count goes anyway!

Can you believe how close we are getting for our trips! :woohoo:

I love that my ticker says 3 weeks and 3 days! Sounds so close.

You will have to do a Trip Report after, to let us know how it went.

A little late, but I'm in now! I keep debating about a new stroller for DD on our first trip with her in 2 months (yay! :banana:) when she is 9 months. I need to make the decision though because if we get a new one, I want her to be used to it before we leave!

I can see why you changed resorts. I still would suggest giving CSR a try in the future. I love that resort!

You are sooooooooooooooooooooo close to your trip now!! I can't wait for this to turn in to a TRIP REPORT and see pics!

I definitely still want to try CSR sometime; I just feel like for this trip, we need to be at POFQ.

Me, too! Writing a trip report is usually bittersweet (for me, anyway), but I think they're so important. Especially now that Andrew is here, I want to be able to look back on our trip and remember as much as possible.

Congrats on the 5k!! I need to get back to my running. Been off since just before we went to Disney :laughing: Good choice on POFQ. We really liked the room we had. Only thing I didn't like was that the fridge doesn't have a freezer space so we couldn't freeze the freezer packs for Alex's bottle carrier.

Thank you! It may be no big deal to some, but for me completing a 5K was a huge accomplishment. I'm sticking with running, too; I would LOVE to run the Princess Half next year. We'll see... ;)

Thank you!! That's a great idea about listening to the park music and YouTube. I've also heard about the "Sing-Along Songs Disneyland" DVD on Amazon and I'll probably use that to try and indoctrinate...errr, I mean...educate and inspire him to recognize the characters. ;)

Sounds like you have a great attitude towards trip expectations. I'm working on reshaping my expectations - I'm trying to remind myself that this trip will be unlike any we've taken before, and that it will be all about going with DS's flow. If I don't get to ride my beloved EE, for example, I will survive! :laughing: I, too, can't wait to see the look on my DS's face. I know it will be better than any thrill ride could ever be!

I think I change my mind daily about where to stay, but POFQ appeals to me because of the small size, and we've never stayed in a moderate. I've considered starting a PTR of my own, but I think I'm too much of a newbie, as far as post count goes anyway!

That's what I keep telling myself, too: If we don't get to ride a ride or see a show this trip, it's OK because we will be back (God willing).

I would encourage you to start a PTR. It's a super-fun way to pass the time between trips, and everyone here is so supportive. We all know how it feels when you're looking forward to a trip to the World!

Can you believe how close we are getting for our trips! :woohoo:

I love that my ticker says 3 weeks and 3 days! Sounds so close.

You will have to do a Trip Report after, to let us know how it went.

I know, it's nuts! We will be there before we know it. :woohoo:

I'm definitely writing a TR, and I hope you do, too!

A little late, but I'm in now! I keep debating about a new stroller for DD on our first trip with her in 2 months (yay! :banana:) when she is 9 months. I need to make the decision though because if we get a new one, I want her to be used to it before we leave!

Yay, you're here! Part of me knows our umbrella stroller (a Maclaren Quest) would've been fine for the trip, but the bananas part of me insisted on getting a stroller with more bells and whistles. It's still really maneuverable (the Quest drives like a dream) and comfortable for DS, but our newest stroller (a Britax B-Agile) has more room to store stuff ... which means Mommy can buy more! :laughing:

Fun new resort! That's awesome! Even more awesome is your 5k though, I've always wanted to get into running and work up to a marathon or half marathon. Just need to do it though! I love the idea of planning one at Disney so its really something to work up to. Anyway, I look forward to reading more, and I'm generally here reading even if I don't have time to reply. I will once I go back to work though heheheh.

Fun new resort! That's awesome! Even more awesome is your 5k though, I've always wanted to get into running and work up to a marathon or half marathon. Just need to do it though! I love the idea of planning one at Disney so its really something to work up to. Anyway, I look forward to reading more, and I'm generally here reading even if I don't have time to reply. I will once I go back to work though heheheh.

Thanks for the support! Maybe we should try to do a Disney run together sometime. I have the Princess Half in my sights, but I also have friends trying to talk me into the Wine & Dine Half, so we'll see...

Awww, when do you have to go back to work? It was tough for me to leave Andrew (I went back to work when he was 10 weeks old), but it was also nice to be back to my routine and around adults during the day.

Disney sent us a PhotoPass!

jhfuc3.jpg

It has my name on it and everything, LOL.

Now, I've never used PhotoPass before and I'm not about to preorder the CD, because A) we're only going to be there a few days and B) the price, in my opinion, is outrageous. But I registered the card, and from what I understand we can use it in the parks, then when we get home view the pics and decide if there are any we want to buy. Is that correct?

Also, I've come up with a list of things I think we will need in the parks that I'm running by y'all. I'm trying to reach a balance between being prepared but not overpacking, and I've never been to the parks with a toddler before. This is what I have:

In my hipster, which I will carry with us onto rides:

• Room keys/KTTW cards
  • Tickets (we're still debating between the Wild for 3 passes and seasonal passes)
  • IDs
  • Cash
  • Phone
  • Camera? (We primarily use our phone cameras, so we'll probably leave this at home.)
  • Video camera (We have a pocket Kodak PLAYSPORT that is super easy to use … and waterproof!)
  • Notepad & pen ... so I can take notes for my TR! :thumbsup2
In the diaper bag and cooler, which we will leave in the stroller when we go on rides:

• Diapers & wipes
  • Face & hand wipes
  • Antibacterial gel
  • Disposable placemats
  • Change of clothes for DS
  • Sunscreen
  • Sun hat for DS
  • Snacks for DS
  • Straw cup
  • Bottles of water (DH and I drink a LOT of water, so I'm planning to bring a cooler in to save some money.)
  • Ice pack
Is there anything glaringly missing? Am I planning on bringing way too much? Any input would be appreciated!

That's my understanding of PhotoPass, too, although I don't know how the ordering works. I think the price seems outrageous, also, but when I read this on mousesavers I started reconsidering the pre-order PhotoPass: The cost of ordering prints from DisneyPhotoPass.com starts at $14.95. :eek:!!! Does that mean per individual print photo? I know you can view and share your photos online, but I can't figure out if you can download the digital images free (I know, wishful thinking) or if that also costs $14.95+ each like the prints...? Experienced PhotoPass users, help!

Your list looks good! Does your DS drink water too, or would you buy him milk/juice while at the parks? How about some small toys that can be attached to the stroller or high chair to occupy your son during waits or at restaurants? Are you bringing anything for the characters to sign? I can't decide if that's worth doing at this age for my toddler-to-be.

I recommend you go to a Dollar Tree store and buy some 2/$1 ponchos. I always take some along for sudden showers or for Splash Mountain and water rides when I don't want to be soaked (because it is cool or because we are about to go to dinner, etc.). Then after use you can just throw them away or pass them along to someone else. You will probably want one thicker one to put over the stroller if it rains, and perhaps a small folding umbrella. We really like the little battery powered fans, especially the mister ones that have a bottle for water. They really help cool you off.

Photopass - you can't download anything for free, unless you buy the CD. If you are depending on it for all your photos, you will do much better ordering the CD. If you only want to grab a few special shots, the pricey individual ones will work. You can add borders, dates, etc. online and then order. Isn't there a special price now for CD pre-orders because the price is going up? I haven't been paying attention because we aren't going for a couple of years. We have never gotten the disc, but we take a lot of our own pictures along the way and only buy a couple of Photopass pictures each trip.

You get 30 days after your trip to go online and look at your Photopass pictures and decided if there's any you want to order. As a side not, if you have your phone camera or a regular camera out, the PP photographers are usually nice about taking pics with your cameras. We've had a few that didn't even offer, just asked how to turn on our camera.:rotfl:

I don't think you're overpacking at all. I have never been to Disney with a kid, though, so I can't offer any help on the toddler front. I agree with everyone else though with bringing some cheap disposable ponchos in case it rains. They are perfect for FL afternoon showers (even though they don't happen much in May, it's possible.)

I recommend you go to a Dollar Tree store and buy some 2/$1 ponchos. I always take some along for sudden showers or for Splash Mountain and water rides when I don't want to be soaked (because it is cool or because we are about to go to dinner, etc.). Then after use you can just throw them away or pass them along to someone else. You will probably want one thicker one to put over the stroller if it rains, and perhaps a small folding umbrella. We really like the little battery powered fans, especially the mister ones that have a bottle for water. They really help cool you off.

Photopass - you can't download anything for free, unless you buy the CD. If you are depending on it for all your photos, you will do much better ordering the CD. If you only want to grab a few special shots, the pricey individual ones will work. You can add borders, dates, etc. online and then order. Isn't there a special price now for CD pre-orders because the price is going up? I haven't been paying attention because we aren't going for a couple of years. We have never gotten the disc, but we take a lot of our own pictures along the way and only buy a couple of Photopass pictures each trip.

Thanks for the tips. I have ponchos on my packing list; I just forgot to put them on my list of things to bring into the parks. D'oh! We also have a stroller fan for DS, but I'm not big on the mister fans.

Yes, I know nothing is free with PhotoPass ... go figure. ;) I'm definitely not depending on it for all -- or even most -- of our pictures. Between me and DH, one of us always has our phones at the ready, and I plan to ask the PP photographers to use our camera as well as theirs.

I think there is a special price, but it's still super expensive. We will probably just do like you and buy one or two PhotoPass pictures (if any turn out really well).

You get 30 days after your trip to go online and look at your Photopass pictures and decided if there's any you want to order. As a side not, if you have your phone camera or a regular camera out, the PP photographers are usually nice about taking pics with your cameras. We've had a few that didn't even offer, just asked how to turn on our camera.:rotfl:

I don't think you're overpacking at all. I have never been to Disney with a kid, though, so I can't offer any help on the toddler front. I agree with everyone else though with bringing some cheap disposable ponchos in case it rains. They are perfect for FL afternoon showers (even though they don't happen much in May, it's possible.)

Cool. Thanks for the info!

Oh, how I miss our afternoon showers. I live in what is now the driest county in Florida ... we NEED rain! (That doesn't mean I want it to rain on our Disney days, though. :laughing:)

That's my understanding of PhotoPass, too, although I don't know how the ordering works. I think the price seems outrageous, also, but when I read this on mousesavers I started reconsidering the pre-order PhotoPass: The cost of ordering prints from DisneyPhotoPass.com starts at $14.95. :eek:!!! Does that mean per individual print photo? I know you can view and share your photos online, but I can't figure out if you can download the digital images free (I know, wishful thinking) or if that also costs $14.95+ each like the prints...? Experienced PhotoPass users, help!

Your list looks good! Does your DS drink water too, or would you buy him milk/juice while at the parks? How about some small toys that can be attached to the stroller or high chair to occupy your son during waits or at restaurants? Are you bringing anything for the characters to sign? I can't decide if that's worth doing at this age for my toddler-to-be.

Ugh, I know ... the price of individual prints is ridiculous, too. $15 each?! I will order one or two of those IF they're outstanding, but what are the odds of that? DS likes to say "cheese," but he doesn't exactly know to look at the camera. :rotfl:

DS likes water, too, but good call -- I'll probably bring some juice for him and fill his cup with that before we leave the resort in the morning, then once it's gone he can drink water. A couple of small toys or books isn't a bad idea, either... thanks!

I don't think we will get autographs this trip. I want to wait until DS is old enough to appreciate them. I'm really curious to see how reacts to characters. From what I read, some kids his age are fine and others absolutely hate them. :confused3

Sounds like you got pretty much everything. Though, since my youngest is 8, I am out of practice packing a diaper bag. :lmao:

Last year, we did not do photopass and we were planning on just buying a few pictures, but they all turned out blurry. :confused3

This year, we are part of a photopass share. I am hoping we get a few good pictures.

I was going to bring up what Judyloonybin said - there is also an option to go in on a photopass share. I've never been in on one. DH is a photographer so we usually use our own camera and have had the photogs use that to snap a pic or two for us as well but you should be able to find a thread on here somewhere that enables you to join a group of 3,4 or 5 making it much more affordable to do photopass.

The list looks good - all I could add is that if you have the wet wipes with you then you might not need the disposable placemats b/c you can just use a wipe to wipe down the table. I use wipes for hands, faces, and tables usually and a few times even for bird poop on one of us. :lmao: so pack lots of those for sure - they are SO handy to have.

Oh, did you think to maybe have a little zip lock bag with medicine type stuff for the parks too? I get a little ziplock and put the following in it...

2 pepto bismal chewables
2 advil
2 childrens advil
1 allergy tablet
2 immodium disolvables
a few bandaides
boo boo cleaner like polysporin - travel sized
pre cut moleskins.
chapstick
travel sized sunscreen for redoing noses or ears or in case someone forgot to put on sunscreen that day (DH does that often).

Just one or two of each thing doesn't take up much room and it's SOO nice to have if needed. I just replace whatever was used at night so it's ready for the next day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter