WDW while expecting?

krose4

Thanking the Phoenicians
I'm going to Disney with my husband and friends in a month for a wedding that we turned into a vacation. My husband and I just found out that we're finally expecting (!!). I have talked with my ob much earlier in the planning process about physically what I can and can't do first trimester, and have opted out of the rides I'm not comfortable riding while expecting.

I'm super interested in the experiences of others who have been in Disney while expecting. What tips do you have? Any additional things I should bring to the parks? Any tips for managing nausea and the longer more active days spent in the parks? Just looking for tips from people who have survived it before. I'm so used to touring the parks my way (do absolutely everything, sleep is for the weak), and I'm struggling with trying to find ways to slow myself down without feeling like a burden to my friends (although they are super super awesome and supportive, and are totally chill with taking more breaks than I'm used to)

You'll want plenty of water. Something that helped me was being familiar with the QS and snack menus. Who knows what foods you'll be craving - and they could be completely different from your typical Disney favorites - so it's good to know what's available where.

I went to DL in my first trimester and my best advice would be to be prepare for a long list of things you can't do. It kind of sucked to be honest but it was still better than being at home. I was lucky with my symptoms in my first trimester so I wasn't sick or anything but try to take breaks just in case and have a lot of water. Its Disney so you should be wearing comfy shoes anyway but take extra careful attention to taking breaks and not pushing yourself

First of all, CONGRATS! I'll be visiting this weekend and will be just into my second trimester. There's actually a very short list of rides that can't be ridden while pregnant. Course, I don't really miss most of them. I'm only sad I can't ride Avatar FoP and Splash Mountain. :) Everyone is different so what I experience might be different from what you do. My travel agent (who has visited pregnant) advised me to find all the baby care stations (they welcome expectant mothers) and be sure to locate all the restrooms. Having to pee every 15 min (ok not really but it seems like it!) is pretty universal in the first trimester. :)

The other thing I would be aware of is that the pregnancy fatigue is real! It's one of the largest issues I've dealt with so far. If I had visited 6 weeks ago I most certainly would have needed an afternoon nap...and I am NOT a napper. I'm an "In the park from open to close" type person. I imagine that even though I'm supposed to be gaining more energy soon, this trip will be slower than my usual ones and I'm just going to have to be gentle with myself and realistic on how much I'll be able to do. I'll bet I'll be taking a lot of breaks. :)

I just got back from a trip at 7 weeks. I'm thinking it must have been the adrenaline or fresh air but I felt much better during my trip than I had been feeling at home (I live where it's very cold and haven't been outside much). It was cold when we were there so we didn't take afternoon breaks at the hotel and the park hours were fairly short (most only open until 8pm) and I was fine to walk all day. We did park hop most days and it was nice to rest on transportation for 20mins or so while transferring. I did try to watch my water intake and up it as much I could. I took a backpack with water bottle holders on each side so water was easy to access (vs a mickey drawstring bag like I normally bring).

I'm normally a big breakfast eater but found I couldn't eat as much at a time so I packed some snacks and ate those when I needed to. Kids meals for breakfast and lunch seemed to be the perfect size and then I normally had an adult sized dinner and took a treat back to the hotel as a before bed snack.

I think the toughest thing was the lack of caffeine. I'm allowing myself the 200mg a day so I had a small coffee in the morning and then had a soda normally in the late afternoon to keep me going.

Congratulations! I would say, just try to enjoy yourself as much as possible but be aware that this trip may be less fun than others. Everyone is different so some women get morning sickness and some don't (and some have a mild version, some very serious, etc). I went at 6-7 weeks and morning sickness hit on day 2. I had been so looking forward to all the amazing snacks and I found myself repulsed by everything and feeling like I wanted to throw up the whole day. I was also super tired, although in our case, it worked out because we had a 2 year old and she still napped mid-day, so I would nap every day at the same time as her. Between me and the 2 year old, we really had to take it easy. You may find yourself feeling completely normal or completely terrible, and unfortunately there is no way to know so just try to be flexible.

The good news is, you can still ride most of the rides and see all of the shows!

I went at 16 weeks and was still battling nausea. It’ll be important for you to keep something in your stomach at all times...think snacks, not huge meals. Hydrating is super important too! My trip was over Memorial Day and I struggled with the heat...but that’s unlikely to be a huge issue in a month.

I’d say the most important thing is to listen to your body and don’t push yourself too hard. I remember feeling rather fatigued in my first trimester...make sure to take a break if you need it!

Congratulations and I hope you have a great trip!

Congratulations!!! My only advice is water, water, and more water. Have an idea where the restrooms are as you will be visiting quite often. For some reason I never experienced morning sickness but man I was tired my entire first trimester. I still enjoyed WDW but I did ride a lot less and spent more time "people watching" and shopping. I can remember my dh took our oldest on ToT, I parked myself on a bench and fell asleep, no kidding. I'd look for something to put in the babies nursery to remember this special trip. Enjoy this very special time.

Congrats! I ended up doing DL/CA while pregnant in 2013, around 11-12 wks. We did afternoon breaks everyday, which we usually do anyway with younger kids (older son was 6 at that point). I am still slightly bitter about missing some of the rides that aren't at WDW... Radiator Springs, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones... but there was definitely no shortage of things I could do. Also, we still talk about how lucky I was to get a bench seat, with older kid on my lap, for the evening show at CA because we told the CM I was pregnant. I was fortunate not to be dealing with nausea during the pregnancy. Otherwise -- I don't remember much else pregnancy-wise, it was a fun and memorable trip! I tell my little one he got to go to Disneyland!

Both my pregnancies I went to WDW in the first trimester. Take it easy. Drink lots of water. Mark out where the restrooms are before you go. You can go on a lot of rides. As long as there isn’t the warning on it. We saw lots of characters and took a break in the middle of the day for a nap. ( ok so we still do that lol ).

Congrats!!

I haven’t been to Disney while pregnant but am in my 2nd trimester now. For me, the first trimester was all about the exhaustion. I’m a teacher so I’m on my feet all day. When I got home and sat on the couch I crashed HARD. And my nausea accompanied exhaustion (I was totally fine in the mornings). I also teach a fitness class one night a week and made sure to keep moving before I went so I would actually make it to class. Preggie Pops (hard candies - easy to pack!) really helped in some cases where I was out and just felt icky.

Good luck! Knowing what I know now about my pregnancy and if I was planning a Disney trip (but we are all so different!!) I would have just stayed out all day then called it an early night back at the hotel. I don’t think I would have recovered from an afternoon nap! We are going to Vegas in my 3rd trimester. There I’m just planning on laying by the pool like a whale lol

Congrats! You have gotten some great tips already!

I’ve been twice pregnant once early 10ish weeks and once about 20ish weeks?

Honestly I just followed my body. If I was tired I rested. If I was hungry I ate. Honestly I used it as an excuse to eat more snacks!!!

If you already decided on the rides you will and will not ride you're in good shape. I followed the guidelines of what not to ride and just took a break in the shade if others wanted to ride. To be honest it’s all going to depend how you personally are feeling. I’m lucky I love being pregnant, and found drinking water and snacking to be my best friends. Follow your body’s cues and I think you’ll be great!

I was six months pregnant one trip in July with a bunch of teenagers. They rode rides with DH and I shopped ... all day long ... bags and bags of stuff were sent back to the hotel :rotfl2:

I have three additional tips:
- be sure to use sunscreen. You are more susceptible to sunburn while pregnant
-look for a product called cooling towels. You soak them in water and wring, and they are cool to the touch. If it’s at all hot, it will impact you more than the others in the group. I found it helped a lot to drape the cooling towel on my neck
- just a silly/cheesy tip. At guest services I got one of those “first visit” buttons and wore it on my belly. I took a pic in front of the castle and used it as a social media announcement.

I've been to WDW while pregnant 3 times, all in the first trimester. My main tips are, as was previously mentioned, drink a lot of water. With my last pregnancy I ended up at urgent care dehydrated with a bladder infection because I wasn't drinking enough water.:worried: You'd think by my 5th pregnancy I'd know better! Otherwise just have some snacks on hand at all times in case you start to feel sick and just listen to your body...if you feel like you need to rest or eat or go take a nap, do it!

Congrats and I hope you have a great trip!

I went during my fifth month and it was still an amazing trip! I wish I would have taken more photos and have thought of some of the cute ideas others here had posted.

Listen to your body and drink lots of water. Have fun!

Just to be on the safe side, ask your OB for anti nausea medication. I went to NYC for my college reunion while pregnant and oh my god the motion sickness in the car on the trip down did me in.

(un)luckily I had some with me because I was my own personal vomit comet for weeks on end...

I'm going to Disney with my husband and friends in a month for a wedding that we turned into a vacation. My husband and I just found out that we're finally expecting (!!). I have talked with my ob much earlier in the planning process about physically what I can and can't do first trimester, and have opted out of the rides I'm not comfortable riding while expecting.

I'm super interested in the experiences of others who have been in Disney while expecting. What tips do you have? Any additional things I should bring to the parks? Any tips for managing nausea and the longer more active days spent in the parks? Just looking for tips from people who have survived it before. I'm so used to touring the parks my way (do absolutely everything, sleep is for the weak), and I'm struggling with trying to find ways to slow myself down without feeling like a burden to my friends (although they are super super awesome and supportive, and are totally chill with taking more breaks than I'm used to)
I was pregnant with a toddler on one trip to DW. I only remember throwing up on the plane, which was so odd for me. Try to grab as many of those plane puke bags (if you’re flying) to bring with you in the parks. I rode a lot of gentle rides and my son while everyone else rode the big rides and we sat a lot waiting (which is good).

- just a silly/cheesy tip. At guest services I got one of those “first visit” buttons and wore it on my belly. I took a pic in front of the castle and used it as a social media announcement.

That’s such a cute idea!!

When I was pregnant, I was chatting with a CM while waiting for Epcot to open (because I was the first person at the tapstile. I’m cool like that.). I mentioned we were squeezing in a quick trip on short notice since I was pregnant. She said she’d be right back, and returned with a celebration button. She wrote “It’s a baby!” With my due date. I was 16 weeks, but didn’t show until about 24 weeks, so it was fun to get some congratulations even though I wasn’t obviously pregnant.

My wife and I went when she was 5 months pregnant and I would say the biggest issue she had was headaches due to the heat (even though we went over Christmas, it was still almost in the 80s everyday). Definitely want to stay hydrated and potentially by a nice wide-brimmed hat to limit sun exposure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter