WDW vs. DLR extra adult charges?

goofyfordisney

DIS Veteran
Why do WDW hotels charge for extra adults in the room? DLR doesn't charge extra for extra adults staying in a room. :confused3.

We are trying to stay in one room but the extra $25 for each adullt is really adding up. Is it a FL vs. CA room occupancy issue?

TIA!

Because they can. No other reason - its the money.

Although not all hotels do it, it 's reasonably standard in the hotel industry to base room charges on double occupancy and charge extra for every person over two in the room. A lot of hotels (like at WDW) give a break for guests under 18. I've seen places in Vegas that charge up to an extra $50 for each person over two in a room, regardless of age.

And it's cheaper for you to pay an extra $25 or $50 or $75 per night for that one Deluxe resort room, than to pay for two or three Deluxe resort rooms.

If the extra $25/night per extra person is going to make your deluxe room too expensive for you, then look at getting a moderate or value resort room instead. They charge a lower amount per night for extra adults.

I always thought that was a crazy rule. My ds is only 16 now, but in a couple of years we'd have to pay extra if we do a family trip just because he's 18. :confused3

I always thought that was a crazy rule. My ds is only 16 now, but in a couple of years we'd have to pay extra if we do a family trip just because he's 18. :confused3

As a PP has noted, this is not peculiar to Disney World. Many, if not most hotels have similar policies regarding more than 2 adults in a room. Just be happy that the policy does not include children.

As a PP has noted, this is not peculiar to Disney World. Many, if not most hotels have similar policies regarding more than 2 adults in a room. Just be happy that the policy does not include children.

I guess we're lucky in that the types of places we stay outside of WDW (usually Comfort Suites) we've never been charged for extra people. I'm not sure if that chain, since it is where we stay most often, does charge for an extra adult or not.

Sadly, it may be a non-issue because vacations with the four of us are probably numbered. Once 'kids' hit the late teen years, they have class schedules, work schedules, etc. and may opt out of vacations. Also, I travel alone with the kids just as often as we go places with the four of us. That means ds would be the second adult when dh doesn't travel with us.

If it's money making, why isn't DL charging for the 3rd adult. If you have 4 adults in a deluxe resort, I guess it will be cheaper to get 2 rooms at value resort. It's probably better that way, everyone has their own bed and 2 bathrooms too!

fyi, if you book a DVC room (renting from a member or purchasing yourself), there is no additional adult charge. and it would probably cost significantly less even before the additional adult fees. another reason we love owning DVC :)

i believe the fees would be applicable if booking through regular disney reservations, however.

If it's money making, why isn't DL charging for the 3rd adult. If you have 4 adults in a deluxe resort, I guess it will be cheaper to get 2 rooms at value resort. It's probably better that way, everyone has their own bed and 2 bathrooms too!

This is pure speculation on my part (just as I suspect it was merely an assumption by the poster you are referring to). Be that as it may, perhaps the DLR situation has more to do with the competition the DL resorts have with off site resorts and hotels. There are only a very few DL resorts, and they of course are expensive. They are literally surrounded on all sides by thousands of cheap(er) rooms offering family friendly inexpensive stays. The competition there is huge(and often within walking distance). I would guess (and of course it is just a guess) that the Disneyland resorts try to counter this competition by not charging for extra adults in their rooms. :confused3

minnie mum said:
This is pure speculation on my part (just as I suspect it was merely an assumption by the poster you are referring to). Be that as it may, perhaps the DLR situation has more to do with the competition the DL resorts have with off site resorts and hotels. There are only a very few DL resorts, and they of course are expensive. They are literally surrounded on all sides by thousands of cheap(er) rooms offering family friendly inexpensive stays. The competition there is huge(and often within walking distance). I would guess (and of course it is just a guess) that the Disneyland resorts try to counter this competition by not charging for extra adults in their rooms. :confused3

That was exactly guess as well. Until you see the difference in how close other hotels are to DL , it's hard to conceive for those used to WDW ... Certainly that was my experience.

That really shouldn't signify. Two value rooms are cheaper than one deluxe room anyway, almost all of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!