WDW Trip Report - May 2019

RYAN1987M

Earning My Ears
I just wanted to take this opportunity to post a Trip Report for our recent trip to Orlando. Our trip was almost exclusively devoted to all things Disney, so please bear that in mind.

At the start of a TR, I always like to introduce myself and give the reader a bit of context about why we embarked on this trip and why we did things the way that we did them.

This trip was somewhat last minute. We knew that we wanted to go to WDW, but the decision was contingent on some things in our personal lives and we had to wait for some clarity before we could proceed with booking the trip. We didn’t want to do too much research ahead of time because we didn’t want to get our hopes up if we wouldn’t be able to go ahead with the trip. Anyways, we booked the trip and started planning in earnest about seven weeks prior to departing.

It’s also worth mentioning that neither my Wife nor I are really thrill seekers when it comes to rides. I remember, as a young teen, I could go on any rollercoaster and really enjoy it. Then, it was as if a switch was flipped and something changed, rides that I once loved caused me to feel queasy afterwards. Anyways, no biggie…but I did want to mention that because you’d probably scrutinize some of our FastPass choices otherwise.

Now, onto our level of Disney experience. I was quite a lucky child and was taken to WDW every few years. This pattern carried on into my late teens / early twenties. I’m now in my early thirties and before this trip it had probably been about ten years since my last visit. My Wife never had the pleasure of going to WDW as a child – so this was her first time!

So, why did we decide to go to WDW? Well, we’ve done a fair bit of travelling over the course of our relationship and since we got married. One common destination turned out to be Las Vegas (despite us not being gamblers or partiers, haha). We just love the dry heat of Vegas in the Summer, we love the food, the cocktails, the shows, etc. Anyhow, we ended up in Vegas five years in a row. We’d often spend a few days somewhere else on the West Coast before heading into Vegas. Last Summer, 2018, we spent a few days in Southern California before hitting the Strip and, almost on a whim, decided to go to Disneyland for a day. I had never been to Disneyland before and this was my Wife’s first Disney experience. I loved it (as I knew I would) and my Wife absolutely fell in love with it as well. She was absolutely bitten by the bug for the first time in her life...just shy of age thirty - so the seeds were planted for this trip!

Anyhow, without further ado, I’m going to post a point-form synopsis of what we did each day. Then, I’m going to post some general thoughts, observations, and maybe even a few tips.

Spoiler Alert – We had a fabulous time!

Day 0 – April 30 – Fly from Detroit to Orlando
Slept – Hilton Grand Vacations at Tuscany Village

Day 1 – May 1 – Magic Kingdom
10 Hours – 8:30 to 6:30
Steps – 20,705
Weather – A couple brief sun showers in the afternoon, didn’t affect our plans

Ferryboat into Magic Kingdom / Let the Magic Begin - Welcome Show / Jungle Cruise / Mickey’s PhilharMagic / Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (FP) / Under the Sea - Journey Of The Little Mermaid (FP) / Peter Pan’s Flight (FP) / It’s a Small World (FP) / Lunch at Pecos Bill / Mickey’s Royal Friendship Faire / PeopleMover / Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress / PeopleMover / Meet Mickey & Minnie (FP) / Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade / Country Bear Jamboree / Monorail out of Magic Kingdom

Day 2 – May 2 – Hollywood Studios
8 Hours – 12:30 to 8:30
Steps – 17,785
Weather – A few showers in the afternoon, didn’t affect our plans until 8 PM (thunder rolled in causing Fantasmic! to be cancelled - we made it to our car before the rain started to pour)

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! (FP) / Mickey and Minnie Starring in Red Carpet Dreams / Meet Chip & Dale / Explored around the Chinese Theatre / Walt Disney Presents Gallery and Exhibits / Voyage of The Little Mermaid / Beauty and the Beast - Live on Stage (FP) / Meet Olaf / Enjoyed a beer / Explored Toy Story Land (no rides) / Star Wars Launch Bay / Dinner at Rosie’s All-American Café / Explored Toy Story Land (no rides) / Fantasmic! cancelled due to thunder

Day 3 – May 3 – Animal Kingdom + Hollywood Studios
12 Hours – 9:00 to 5:30 (AK) + 6:30 to 10:00 (HS)
Steps – 27,100
Weather – Beautiful!

Adventurers Outpost - Meet Mickey & Minnie / It’s Tough to be a Bug! / Finding Nemo - The Musical (FP) / Lunch at Yak & Yeti / Maharajah Jungle Trek / Gorilla Falls Exploration Trail / Festival of the Lion King / Enjoyed our first ever Dole Whips / Na’vi River Journey (FP) / Dinosaur (FP) / Enjoyed a cold brew coffee / Kilimanjaro Safaris (FP) / Dinner outside of Parks at McDonald’s / Relaxed in Hollywood Studios / Fantasmic! (FP)

Day 4 – May 4 – Celebration, FL
Steps – 7,611
Weather – A few showers in the afternoon, didn’t affect our plans

Lunch at Columbia Restaurant in Celebration FL – Tableside Sangria + Tableside ‘1905’ Salad + Mahi Mahi / Went to a Kohl’s

Day 5 – May 5 – Disney Springs
5 Hours – 3:30 to 8:30
Steps – 16,388
Weather – Massive storm in the early afternoon, we hadn’t planned to head to DS until later in the day anyhow

Explored Disney Springs / Dinner at The Polite Pig

Day 6 – May 6 – Chef Mickey’s + Monorail Hotels + Hollywood Studios
5 Hours – 5:00 to 10:00
Steps – 21,864
Weather – Beautiful!
Slept – Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort

Checked out of Hilton / Checked into Coronado Springs / Brunch at Chef Mickey’s at 1:00 / Explored Contemporary Resort / Explored Polynesian Village Resort (via monorail) / Explored Grand Floridian Resort (via monorail) / Drove to Hollywood Studios / Walt Disney Presents Gallery and Exhibits / Monsters Mike & Sully (Meet & Greet) / Mickey and Minnie Starring in Red Carpet Dreams / Explored Toy Story Land (no rides) / For the First Time in Forever: A ‘Frozen’ Sing-Along Celebration (FP) / Dinner at Fairfax Fare / Fantasmic! (FP)

Day 7 – May 7 – Epcot
12 Hours – 10:00 to 10:00
Steps – 27,983
Weather – Beautiful!

Meet Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy / Living with the Land (FP) / Spaceship Earth (FP) / Lunch at La Cantina de San Angel / Gran Fiesta Tour Starring The Three Caballeros / Test Track (FP) / The Seas with Nemo & Friends (FP) / Journey Into Imagination With Figment / Meet Baymax / Enjoyed a beer / O Canada! / World Showcase / Dinner at Tangerine Café / Don Felder (Concert Series) / Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (FP) / Spaceship Earth (EMH)

Day 8 – May 8 – Magic Kingdom on my Birthday
9 Hours – 9:00 to 6:00
Steps – 22,567
Weather – Beautiful!

Monorail into Magic Kingdom / Obtained Birthday Button / It’s a Small World / The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (FP) / Meet Winnie the Pooh & Tigger / Haunted Mansion (FP) / Enjoyed a Dole Whip / Pirates of the Caribbean (FP) / Move It! Shake It! MousekeDance It! Street Party / Meet Mickey & Minnie / Lunch at The Lunching Pad / Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress / PeopleMover / Enjoyed a Minnie Sundae from the Plaza Ice Cream Parlor / Haunted Mansion (FP) / The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (FP) / It’s a Small World (FP) / Liberty Square Riverboat / Enjoyed a Churro / Ferryboat out of Magic Kingdom

Day 9 – May 9 – Epcot
10.5 Hours – 10:30 to 9:00
Steps – 25,345
Weather - A few showers in the afternoon, didn’t affect our plans
Slept - DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Orlando Airport

Bought Pins to begin our first day ever as Pin Collectors & Traders / Given free pin by Staff / Disney & Pixar Short Film Festival / Meet Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy (FP) / Living with the Land (FP) / Lunch at Sunshine Seasons / Given two free pins by a friendly stranger who overheard we were about to conduct our inaugural trade / Spaceship Earth (FP) / Frozen Ever After / Reflections of China / World Showcase + Pin Trading / Impressions de France / Enjoyed a beer / Dinner at La Cantina de San Angel / Meet Mickey, Minnie, and Goofy (FP) / Spaceship Earth / Final pin trade with Staff who had pins on a pylon in the parking lot!

Day 10 – May 10 – Fly from Orlando to Detroit, drive back into Canada
Slept – Home :(

TOTALS
7 Park Days – 3 HS / 2 MK / 2 Epcot / 1 AK
66.5 total hours spent in the Parks (average of 9.5 hours per day)
469 images captured by Disney PhotoPass Photographers (yes, we splurged for Memory Maker)

We had a wonderful trip and we’re so happy with all that we were able to accomplish!

It was interesting for me to see WDW as an adult. It gave me a new level of appreciation for all the effort and passion that Cast Members put into their work.

I’ll freely admit that I, as a fairly tough looking 6’2” bearded adult male became misty-eyed on a number of occasions. I was so impressed by the level of energy and sincerity that characters put into meet & greets and performances (both on-stage and during parades). One thing specifically that got me was watching the ‘Voyage of The Little Mermaid’ show at Hollywood Studios and observing the dog, which was obviously played by a person, and how much effort they put into their performance. It’s so inspiring to watch the sheer amount of passion and energy that performers put into making their characters so captivating. It’s especially impressive when you consider that some of these are secondary characters (a person playing a dog) and that they likely do this many, many times per day. It’s obvious that they care about making every performance special and it’s touching that they’re trying to so earnestly convey that Disney magic.

It’s very moving to see the level of care and attention that characters take when interacting with children (and adults) during meet & greets. They really notice small things – like Goofy chastising my Wife for having many Disney Pins but not a Goofy one, or Minnie noticing my Wife’s ‘It All Started With a Mouse’ t-shirt. It’s really humbling to think about how WDW and other things Disney-related are the most common wish for children in the Make-A-Wish program. At Animal Kingdom we were in line to have a PhotoPass Photographer take our picture in front of the ‘Tree of Life’. The family in front of us were wearing Make-A-Wish shirts and had a child who looked pretty ill. The Photographer spent a lot of time with them and really tried to make it fun and magical for that family. When they were all done, he apologized to us for the wait…I felt terrible that he felt the need to apologize to us. We couldn’t adequately express how he had absolutely nothing to be sorry about. Disney is a sacred place for so many people and it deserves to be respected as such. It’s definitely fun to be a part of it all and it’s definitely important to buy into the whole experience and not ruin any of the ‘magic’.

I recently read a bit of a rant on an Anaheim TripAdvisor Forum from someone who was irked about the number of refurbishments going on within the Park. They were upset that the Castle was covered up and that they’d have to move their traditional birthday trip because of it. Talk about a ‘first world problem’.

What else can I say? On one hand, no Disney trip can be perfect…but, on the other hand, any trip to Disney is perfect. Don’t sweat the small stuff – you’ll likely see some rain, you may wait in line only to have a ride unexpectedly go down, and you’ll surely earn some blisters and be sore. But you’re getting to be a part of something much bigger then yourself. And we’re all so fortunate to be able to be a part of that. Soak it all in, immerse yourself in it, and enjoy your time at ‘The Most Magical Place On Earth’.

I am glad to hear that you were able to get your wife to be bit by the disney bug. I take my three kids every year and hopefully someday that will find that certain someone who will be bit by the disney bug as well.

Some rapid-fire things…

We loved the utility of Magic Bands and think that they’d be worthwhile even when staying offsite

Learn to love and work the Disney World App! It’s great for checking out attraction wait-times and also for making FastPass reservations (after you use your third FP, you can immediately seek out your next one…start looking for that next one while you’re still in line for the current one)

Lots of water fountains around, it’s definitely easy to enter the park with a refillable water bottle and keep using it – good for your wallet and good for the environment

It was easy and awesome to use ‘parcel pickup’ – we bought a nice piece of art and didn’t have to lug it around, we picked it up at the gate at the end of our day

Restrooms were plentiful, clean, and quick to use (no mirrors over the sinks, it keeps people moving)

Memory Maker and PhotoPass Photographers were great fun – but we wouldn’t necessarily do this with all subsequent trips

On May 1st, our first day in the Park (Magic Kingdom), a Cast Member randomly gifted us three bonus FastPasses that could be used for any attraction at any time in MK

When we decided to buy our first Disney Pins, a Cast Member gifted us a bonus Pin

When we were doing our first ever pin trade, a friendly stranger overheard and gifted us two pins

On our last night in the Park, we left Epcot and did one final pin trade with a Parking Attendant who had pins on a pylon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter