WDW Tom Sawyer Island boat transfer experience with wheelchair to flat areas.

RaySharpton

Retired and going to Disney.
Las December 2019, I was denied access to the boat transferring guests from the mainland to WDW Tom Sawyer Island. I know I can roll around the stairs and barrels, but I just wanted to roll around where I could roll.

They denied my wheelchair use and said that I had to use a WDW wheelchair. My wheelchair is powered but is about the same size.

Does anyone have any recent experience or suggestions when I go in May 2019?

Walt Disney World attractions offer access for Guests with mobility disabilities in the following categories:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/mobility-disabilities/

Tom Sawyer Island

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/tom-sawyer-island/

Accessibility and Other Information
Accessibility
Must Be Ambulatory
Guest Policies
  • Supervise children at all times.
    Children under age 7 years must be accompanied by a person age 14 years or older.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/magic-kingdom/tom-sawyer-island/

I don’t have recent experience, but I suspect the requirement to use a WDW manual wheelchair is less about size dimensions and more about weight on the raft. Some power chairs are VERY heavy. Rather than a very specific rule “brands A B C are allowed but not brands X Y Z” it is a very clear cut rule.

Enjoy your vacation!

I don’t have recent experience, but I suspect the requirement to use a WDW manual wheelchair is less about size dimensions and more about weight on the raft. Some power chairs are VERY heavy. Rather than a very specific rule “brands A B C are allowed but not brands X Y Z” it is a very clear cut rule.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you, junelady. I agree. I wonder if I fold my wheelchair, will they allow it on the raft? I wonder if they allow non-foldable strollers or foldable strollers?

I wonder if I fold my wheelchair, will they allow it

Well, you could ask. I understand your particular powerchair is foldable and relatively lightweight, However it is still a powerchair. I believe WDW’s blanket rule about no powerchairs on TSI eliminates judgement calls by CMs about different brands and weight. Maybe it’s a rule that could use some updating due to modern mobility devices. But I can see why the rule is as it stands.

If you can transfer to fold your wheelchair, could you use a WDW manual chair? Maybe push it like a walker for a bit, then sit? You can’t get very far on the island with a wheelchair.

Well, you could ask. I understand your particular powerchair is foldable and relatively lightweight, However it is still a powerchair. I believe WDW’s blanket rule about no powerchairs on TSI eliminates judgement calls by CMs about different brands and weight. Maybe it’s a rule that could use some updating due to modern mobility devices. But I can see why the rule is as it stands.

If you can transfer to fold your wheelchair, could you use a WDW manual chair? Maybe push it like a walker for a bit, then sit? You can’t get very far on the island with a wheelchair.

That is an excellent idea. Then I could sit down when I need to sit. And the wheelchair could act as a walker. I have my own walker, but your idea sounds the best. Thank you, lanejudy.

I agree with lanejudy that it’s probably more weight than power.

I was going to poke around Tom Sawyer Island in November when we were at WDW, but it was closed.
We are going soon and I did plan to go there. It’s not accessible once you get about 200 feet past the dock, from what I remember. And, it’s not possible to go around the things like stairs. I had written a post with pictures a few years ago, but couldn’t find it. I’ll check again.

I agree with lanejudy that it’s probably more weight than power.

I was going to poke around Tom Sawyer Island in November when we were at WDW, but it was closed.
We are going soon and I did plan to go there. It’s not accessible once you get about 200 feet past the dock, from what I remember. And, it’s not possible to go around the things like stairs. I had written a post with pictures a few years ago, but couldn’t find it. I’ll check again.

Hi, Sue. Thanks. I remember that post. I just haven't been on the island in such a long time, that I just wanted to get over their and roll around over to the covered fast food place. I forget the name. I could just relax for a while and look at the different views of MK from there. I think that I will just leave my wheelchair and use a WDW wheelchair as a walker and a seat when I need to sit down.

I miss those days when I could explore more using just my cane to get around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter