WDW today posts some welcome news

Just read an article on WDWNT about GHOST ROOMS. Effective Monday those that cancel room bookings will also have any FP's associated with their reservation cancelled as well. The article says this is the first step in some some changes coming to the reservation system.

Hi Mike! Yes, I saw that but from a purely selfish standpoint, I preferred for people to cancel their campsite reservation than keep it as that way someone would have a chance to actually use it. I’m thinking that they might implement some minimum night requirements for FW or, my preference, allow only one night reservations within 30 days unless being added to an existing reservation.

I do think that many people who do this don’t understand how different campsite reservations are to regular hotel rooms including the near impossibility of switching sites as opposed to how easy it is to do with a room.

I have merged these 2 threads since they are on the same subject.

This is good news.

amcc, the only issue with a minimum stay requirement, which I support in theory, is I don't know that Disney IT can handle the nuance of a 1-day reservation in reality.

Here is a past real life example of mine:

I had a 5-day reservation. I wanted to add one day onto it (6th day). A one day was available online for the desired day. Couldn't add it to my existing reservation online (I know, I know-SHOULDA been able to but WASN'T able to-go figure). When I called the lady CM said I had to cancel the 5 day and then rebook for a 6-day (which was not available at the time I was holding my 5 day and I was not going to let go of it hoping it would be available immediately with the 6th day too. Disney has proven themselves in that regard). So I booked a separate one day reservation (same level, in consecutive use with my previous reservation). Late I merged the two reservations together into one.

In theory we hate one day reservations. In reality I needed a one day to go from 5 to 6 days. I just don't think Disney IT can get that circumstance down to look at if you have a prior reservation, if this one day is consecutive, etc. etc.

But this proposed change above is a step in the right direction. I think far more throwaway reservations were cancelled than kept (and allowed to sit).

Bama Ed

Hi Ed @bama_ed
I think one day reservations should be allowed IF they are part of an existing longer stay OR within 30 days of arrival. The first will let anyone extend a reservation. The second will allow extra inventory to get used.

I do wonder how much of a problem this is. Over NYE, there were a few sites sitting empty in 2000 when I knew my sister had been trying to get a site. But is it a problem the rest of the year? Do those empty sites throw off the efficiency of the Fort reservations enough that Disney cares?

Hi Ed @bama_edI do wonder how much of a problem this is. Over NYE, there were a few sites sitting empty in 2000 when I knew my sister had been trying to get a site. But is it a problem the rest of the year? Do those empty sites throw off the efficiency of the Fort reservations enough that Disney cares?

A couple of trips ago, amcc, I stood in the lobby and discussed the throwaway concept with a manger lady type. Basically she said they were aware of it, they looked into it, and it wasn't a big enough of a deal to mess with it.

I do think there is some truth in the concept over in the Rumors board thread to this topic that this could be a preemptive move for when the Star Wars area of DHS comes online. The abuse would be probably more rampant then.

Remember, the throwaway concept focuses on three areas:

1. A throwaway one night reservation includes parking (but the cost of a campsite now, almost year round, exceeds the cost of parking for the checkin/checkout days combined).
2. A throwaway one night reservation includes free Magic Bands for the entire party (up to 10 people at the Fort). Over the years MB have been in place, most people have a set and can reuse them. While true for newer guests who haven't been lately, this point is not as important as it once was.
3. A throwaway one night reservation allows booking FP at the 60+10 window. Which is what this proposed rule addresses. If a throwaway is booked primarily for this reason, people usually cancel within the 30-day window prior to arrival because they are staying offsite and can keep those FP anyway. This option will close according to this proposal. So when the desire for Star Wars FP was going to grow as it came online in FP, the abuse would have been probably multiplied.

Plus some people keep the throwaway reservation during their vacation. Sorry your sister couldn't get into the Fort.

Basically Disney is saying once Star Wars areas come on line, the perks go to the people who have (and keep) an on-site reservation (and all the guest spend that goes with it). Then, Disney would care (to your point). They may not now but they will. And they probably have the data to prove it.

Bama ED

Almost worth a few points to head over tto the Theme Parks and Strategy thread...

Be careful there, tiggerdad.

The mods have been keeping the subject OFF the Theme Parks board and Resorts board because it was only a "rumor" at this point. They closed threads that I saw briefly open, locked them up, and posts disappeared. They might allow discussion once/if the policy is formally implemented by Disney.

However, there is an 18 page thread (currently) on top of the Rumors board that I participated in on page 8. In the last 10 pages, though, the mood has changed. Now the concern is about "how will this affect my split stays" and "but people change resorts/plans all the time". Ya know, now that the shoe is somewhat on the other foot, there is all kinds of concern over there how this is going to affect THEM.

I'm just about out of popcorn now. Gonna have to get some more.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
Tiggerdad I too encourage you to not go there. Remember what happened the last time you ventured into that quagmire. This time you are likely to end up in the deepest recesses of DIS JAIL with no hope of parole

This is good news. A few years ago my son and I went looping on Halloween during the day and i started seeing so many empty sites. I counted over 50. The next morning there were still so many empty sites. I actually wrote to Disney about it at the time they basically said nothing would be done about it.
I hope this is the beginning of a way to stop this abuse of the campground and getting all the perks to go with it. By people booking one night so they get the perks it can make someone who wants to stay a week unable to get a reservation. I agree with the others that a one night reservation should only be able to be made 30 days in advance or attached to an existing reservation.

I checked out a few threads that were mentioning it, I gotta say, it made me smile. This is, if Disney follows through on it, the best thing I've seen them do in quite some time. Funny how threads that once were well posted explaining how to do it are now not seen.

Heck, I think I might have a steak tonight for dinner.

and ice cream...my DW picked up some Blue Bell Mardi Gras flavored.

Man!, Monday is so much better.

I think this topic is the only time I’ve gotten points. I don’t think it will solve the Fort problem but I hope it’s the first step of tightening between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law.

I checked out a few threads that were mentioning it, I gotta say, it made me smile. This is, if Disney follows through on it, the best thing I've seen them do in quite some time. Funny how threads that once were well posted explaining how to do it are now not seen.

Nice to hear that threads telling others the best way to stick it us that stay in FtW but insure they get what they want are going silent. Personally I am waiting to hear from our TA as to what the next roll out will be ( ADRs???)
Hint based on the Ice Cream Flavor you might want to send the girls to bed early. No need to scar them for life while you try and collect some beads

I'm not a WDW 'regular' and I admit the throwaway thingy always confused me (I sort of get it). But anything that opens up rooms and/or campsites AND FP+ slots for legit WDW 'onsite' guests is good by me!

(I'm a DL regular and NO ONE is going to book a throwaway ANYTHING at the prices of the 3 onsites there, even if it did mean reserved FPs! )

When I saw this topic, well I broke out in a happy dance. :dancer:And there may have been a celebration.party:Not as loaded as tiggerdad, so had to settle for pizza for dinner.

I believe this is a very good move in the right direction. No system will be perfect and someone will always have complaints. But for now, :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!