2021 WDW Thanksgiving 11-Day Trip - Updated 10/8/22!!!

VanillaThunder

Earning My Ears
Hello friends! I've never written a blog, or trip report, or anything like this before. Let's see how it goes...

The Journey Leading Up To The Journey

Before we get into this trip, let me tell you a bit about my Disney history. I grew up in the LA area, so as a kid, I went to Disneyland about once a year, give or take. I remember loving it at the time, getting all the kid souvenirs, making mom/grandma buy all of the oversized VHS tapes, wearing Mickey shirts almost every day, etc. I even got to be the kid who pulled the Sword from the Stone in Fantasyland once. But as you grow up, sometimes you start to forget. Around age 11, I moved to NorCal, maybe went once again after that, and then kind of grew out of it after that.
Until I met my future wife. 😍

We met at work when we were both 26, and we hit it off right away. She told me of her family's absolute love for all things Disney, and the more she told me stories of their Disney family history, the more the memories started to come back to me. Our relationship progressed fast, and within three months of meeting, I suggested a little vacation, and we were on our way to Disneyland for a three-day trip! I'll keep it brief, but between the nostalgia of being a kid at Disneyland and me falling in love with the woman of my dreams, all the Disney magic re-awoke in me, and I was hooked. The first day, I played it cool, but by day two, I was wearing my Mickey ears nonstop, posing for pics at our character breakfast, you name it!

For a then-now comparison, and a bit of fond memory on my part, here's us from our first trip.
2007.jpg

Since then, we’ve made it a tradition to go Disney in some capacity every other year, and we’ve honored that tradition until this day.

I’ll never be able to remember them all right now, or be able to list them all here, but here are a few of our memorable experiences at Disney:

1989 - OK, this isn't us, but I just found these. I knew it happened, but I had no proof!

Pull the Sword.png King Vito.png
2011 – First time staying onsite – Paradise Pier Hotel
2013 – We went to Disney World this time. My first time there, her second. It was a large family (hers) trip, and while extremely fun, I typically like to vacation with just the two of us, so we are in total control of our time and activities.

IMG_3540.JPG
2015 – For our first wedding anniversary, I booked us the Fairytale Suite! I actually booked it over a year in advance, so that was before our wedding! That was incredible, and likely a once in a lifetime experience. The room was immaculate, had so many touches of Disney magic, and the way they catered to and pampered us, we felt like royalty! We only stayed in the room for the first night of the trip. We booked three more nights in a standard room at the Disneyland Hotel.

IMG_0001.JPG
2017 – Our first time staying during Christmas season! We typically go late September, around our anniversary, and the Halloween season is in full effect. But we decided to go the week after Thanksgiving this year. I quickly realized that’s the time to go! Kids are back in school so the parks are less crowded, the weather is much cooler, but still not too cold (at least for me), and the decorations! I’ve seen the photos and videos, but nothing compares to experiencing Disney decorated for Christmas, all of the holiday overlays, treats, parades, etc.
2019 – We got in to Club 33! The Mrs. has a client/vendor/business partner (I can never remember which), that has a membership. I don’t know the exact details, but he was able to get us (including my wife’s sister and niece/goddaughter) reservations for lunch. We put on our Sunday finest and had the most luxurious meal I’ve ever had.

IMG_3122.JPG
2021 – Well, we’re smack dab in the middle of a pandemic, Disneyland is closed, we just got back from 🌴Maui 🌴 in January, so Disney World is a little out of the budget. What do we do? Well, when Disney announced the Taste of Disney event in California Adventure, I was one of the ones in the virtual queue for 4+ hours trying to procure tickets. I figured at least we’ll be at Disney. That should satisfy my thirst, as well as our tradition, right? I got the tickets, and the wife and I headed down and got our taste on Easter.

Was it enough?

The short answer is no, it was most definitely not enough. I knew what I was getting into. California Adventure only, no rides, no shows, most restaurants and shops closed, basically just eating, drinking, walking, and shopping. It was fine. I’d say the ticket cost was worth it, but it wasn’t worth the 6 hour drive each way or the two-night hotel cost.

That brings us to the beginning of how the trip this report is based upon got started.

Shortly after I bought my Taste of Disney tickets, it was announced that Disneyland was going to reopen later in April. The wheels in my head were turning, and I was thinking of ways to convince the Mrs. that the Taste wasn't enough, and we needed to plan a real trip. As I said, we had already spent almost two weeks in Maui earlier in the year. We generally don’t even go on a large trip every year, let alone two trips in one year. To top it off, her career field is finance, and while we can certainly afford more trips, she’s very much a saver. Lucky me though, because she keeps the finances in order to the point where we have zero debt except for our mortage payment, a healthy savings, and a very comfortable retirement plan. Amazing woman, right? For that and so much more, but that’s another story for another site 😊.

So here I am, pricing out Disneyland trips for random times this year. I know it’s a very long shot, and I’m likely not going to be able to find that amazing deal that convinces Wifey to let me press that “complete transaction” button. But a guy can hope.

Then, things happened that got my mind wandering in a whole other, much crazier, direction. Disney announces the WDW Most Magical Celebration (50th anniversary) for later in the year. Intriguing. More details trickle out. Castle overlay. Golden statues. Special 50th anniversary merchandise and food. Many restaurants reopening that had been closed during much of the pandemic. Character breakfasts returning. Oh Disney, you got me again. See you soon...

I then start pricing out trips to Disney World. That’s nuts. I’ve only been one time, and that was planned out for me. I don’t know what I’m doing! It’s across the country, which will require plane tickets, and a much longer stay than Disneyland. You can’t do Disney World in three or four days. I’m convinced you need at least 10. When I went in 2013, we were there for two weeks, and I felt like I didn’t get to see and do even half of it. Likely because we were with a large group and you know how that can be, trying to cater to everyone.

So, we’re looking at a $6k or more WDW trip, as opposed to the $2k-ish DL trip that I was originally thinking. We’ve spent less, but we’ve spent much more at DL in our time, so I went around the average. The wife is never going to go for it. But I press on.

I’m mainly looking at booking through Costco. I don’t want to deal with flights, tickets, rental cars, etc., and I like that they bundle all that together. Time (and stress) is money. One deal in particular caught my eye. Sheraton Vistana Resort has a two bedroom, two bath villa for a very reasonable rate. Wait, why would I need two bedrooms? It’s just me and the Mrs., right?

I remembered back to a conversation we had with my mom a few months (maybe more) back. She indicated that it had been years like (30) since had been to Disney World, and if we were willing to take her on our next trip there, she would cover half of the initial cost. I didn’t think much of it at the time, as I had no intention of brining my mom, or anyone else, on mine and my wife’s sacred Disney trip. But times change, and money talks.

Now, how to convince the wife?

Well, with mom paying half, and the Most Magical Celebration coinciding with the holiday season, I figured that would be a triple whammy. I honestly don’t remember the details, or all the back and forth, but the outcome was her on board, and me actually planning a real trip!

Next up: Plans, Itineraries, And Spreadsheets!

Attachments

• IMG_3225.JPG
    IMG_3225.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Sorry for the delay! I've read plenty of reports with people saying that life gets in the way, and so they go months without posting. I thought that was crazy and I could knock this whole thing out in a weekend. Noob alert! 😂 I'll try to be better!

Plans, Itineraries, And Spreadsheets!

Some people say that planning a Disney trip is stressful, overwhelming, and takes the fun, spontaneity, and even some of the magic out of it. For me, it actually adds to the fun, and helps me more anticipate the upcoming trip. I keep up daily with all of the big Disney news sites, I buy the unofficial guides, read them cover to cover, and spend hours watching YouTube videos of best restaurants, tips and tricks, what not to do, etc.

I knew that planning a trip to Disney World was 1000% different than planning a trip to Disneyland, but I had no idea what I was in for!

I had already found that Costco deal, so I decided to start the planning with the accommodations. Time to break out the spreadsheets! I compared dates, prices, onsite vs. offsite, added car rental price if we stayed offsite, etc. Then I had to make sure that we could book reasonably priced flights at the same time that the hotel prices were a decent price. Luckily mom is retired, and the Mrs. and I have very flexible work schedules so we were open to almost any date. That is almost any date within the holiday season, which was the agreement to get Wifey on board.

I knew from all the reading I had done that Christmas week was super busy, but actually being in Magic Kingdom on Christmas morning sounded amazing. Ultimately, after all the Excel-ing, we landed on an 11-night trip with a Thanksgiving Day arrival! It’s all coming together!

We booked in late June, almost five months to the day before the trip. Since we decided to stay offsite, I had to wait until 60 days out to book our dining reservations, which would be late September. So, nothing to do between now and then except for read the Unofficial Guide to Disney World cover to cover, learn all I can, and loosely plan our itinerary! Fun times, more spreadsheets 😊!

Fast forward to September, and it’s time to make the dining reservations! By now, Wifey and I had figured out which restaurants we wanted to hit. Of course, we wanted to eat more than we had time for, so we had to drop a few, but we prioritized both of our top choices.

As I mentioned, we’re on the west coast, so I knew I’d need to wake up before 3am on the 60th day prior to each day of our trip. Staying offsite didn’t give me the luxury of booking for the entire trip at once. So, I set the alarm and prepped myself. Turns out I had no idea what I was getting into.

At 3am PDT on 9/26, I was in my office, logged in to MDE on my tablet and onto Disney’s website on my laptop, trying to book on both just in case one was more efficient than the other. I connected, refreshed, and did all the things. I don’t remember if I was surprised or not, but it was already slim pickings. Granted, it was Thanksgiving Day I was trying to book. We only needed dinner, since most of the day would be traveling. Being Thanksgiving, and also our first night at Disney, I wanted it to be a special, memorable meal. I had my heart set on Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’, but had to settle on Boathouse. Not bad! But I thought that maybe I’d have better luck tomorrow, being that it wasn’t a holiday? Remember, I’m a noob here…

I forgot to mention that I signed up for a couple of websites that alerted me to when reservations were available for the restaurants that I wanted in the time frame I chose. Most of the time though, the second I got the text alert and logged in to book, the spot would be gone already.

Over the course of the 11 days of booking, I got better at figuring out the system, and I got lucky with some of our choice reservations. Honestly though, about 90% of the reservations that we ended up actually using, we found in the few days leading up to the trip, and some even the night before! I will absolutely remember this for next time. I probably could have not done the 60 days out reservations at all and still been fine.

So, we have dining pretty much wrapped up. By now, I have about 15 reservations that we’re (probably) keeping, and about 50 cancellations. As stressful as the whole dining planning was, it was still fun, and a part of the whole experience that I appreciated having the opportunity to plan!

Other than that, we bought a bunch of stuff that we “needed” for the trip, arranged in-house boarding for the dogs, broke in our walking shoes, fleshed out the itinerary a bit more, and lost a few pounds so we wouldn’t feel as bad about packing them back on with all that delicious Disney food we were gonna be eating!

Food.jpg

Itinerary.jpg
My eleventy billionth drafts of our planning spreadsheets 🤓 Although the itinerary changed a bunch even after it was "finished," it still contains plenty of spoilers for a lot of our vacation activities. Take a peek if you're curious!

Next up: Let’s Go! And Happy Thanksgiving!
:earboy2:

Attachments

• Itinerary.jpg
    Itinerary.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Let’s Go! And Happy Thanksgiving! 🦃

Thanksgiving Morning! Our flight was at 6am, so we had to be at the airport at 4ish. I tried to stay up all night so it would be easier for me to sleep on the flight, but I think I dozed off around 2am.

IMG_8763.JPEG
At the airport. Wifey wanted to be a bit festive!

IMG_8825.JPEG
We arrived at MCO around 3:45pm. Loved the 50th Anniversary theming all over the place!

It took about 30 minutes to get our rental car, and another 20 minutes to arrive at our hotel, the Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas. We had a very spacious two-bedroom, two-bathroom villa. Separate living room and full kitchen, not that we had any plans on cooking!

I can't seem to find the pics of our room right now. Please standby o_O

We had a few hours to nap and relax before getting ready for Thanksgiving dinner. Off to Disney Springs!

I mentioned that we had originally got a reservation for Boathouse, but we were able to get our coveted
Chef Art Smith’s Homecomin’ spot for Turkey Day dinner!

IMG_8869.JPEG

Wow oh wow, what a great start to the trip! From start to finish, everything was fantastic! We started with some of their moonshine drinks, which were fairly potent, as well as delicious! We shared the Church Lady Deviled Eggs as an app, which were phenomenal, and I had Art’s Famous Fried Chicken with a side of Momma’s Mac and Cheese. The chicken was some of the best I can remember, and that mac & cheese was the cheesiest thing ever! Sooo good! Wifey had the Shrimp & Grits, which I didn't try, but she said was very good, but still her least favorite of our three entrees. Mom had the Braised Short Ribs. I thought it tasted like very good pot roast. Very tender and not stringy at all.

IMG_8873.JPEG
Wifey and I had the Rum Shine Punch and the Blue Hooch Shine

IMG_8874.JPEG

Church Lady Deviled Eggs for the table

IMG_8878.JPEG
Art's Famous Fried Chicken and Momma's Mac and Cheese

IMG_8883.JPEG
Shrimp & Grits

IMG_8882.JPEG
Braised Short Ribs
And the desserts, oh man! We couldn't decide between the Shine or the Hummingbird Cake, so we got both! Wifey thought the Shine Cake was the better of the two, and while it was indeed amazing, that Hummingbird Cake... Pineapple and banana? Yes, please and thank you! OMG maybe the best dessert I'd ever had up until that point (spoiler alert, we hadn't made it to Gideon's yet 🤤).

IMG_8889.JPEG
Hummingbird Cake

IMG_8887.JPEG
Shine Cake

After our delicious dinner, we walked around Disney Springs for a few minutes, but we were overwhelmed by the size in our tired and full-bellied state. We have plenty of Disney Springs time penciled into our itinerary. We'll be back!

We went back to our hotel and crashed! It was a very long day, and even though we didn't have a park day tomorrow, we had a 9:30 breakfast reservation 😉 Goodnight Disney!

Next up: First Full Day, Let's Start It Off Right! Then We Can Go Swimming!

Last edited:
Following! We were there a couple days after Thanksgiving last year (Check out my trip report if you want). We drove down from Wisconsin and decided that we'll never do that again. We'll be flying there this October and then we'll be taking an 8-day DCL Cruise. I've been trying to reserve Chef Art Smith's but haven't had any luck yet. Like you I have Boathouse for our first night.

Last edited:
I thought I would enjoy your trip report ! It’s great !
Im busy planning a Thanksgiving week for Universal Studios .
I might try the Kitchen at the Hard Rock Resort for Turkey day but agree Homecomin is the best!

Following! We were there a couple days after Thanksgiving last year (Check out my trip report if you want. We drove down from Wisconsin and decided that we'll never do that again. We'll be flying there this October and then we'll be taking an 8-day DCL Cruise. I've been trying to reserve Chef Art Smith's but haven't had any luck yet. Like you I have Boathouse for our first night.
Thank you for reading and following! I'll definitely be checking out your report! Boathouse is still on the want to try list, but we didn't make it there on our trip. One day though! I hope you have a great trip in October. I've never done a cruise before, but I've always wanted to. Our next trip will probably be a quick DL visit sometime in '23.

I thought I would enjoy your trip report ! It’s great !
Im busy planning a Thanksgiving week for Universal Studios .
I might try the Kitchen at the Hard Rock Resort for Turkey day but agree Homecomin is the best!
Thanks so much for reading and commenting! I love going on trips around Thanksgiving. I thought traveling on a holiday was kinda fun. T-Day is such a tough day to get reservations, so good luck with yours! I'm sure anywhere you choose will be great though!

Happy Thanksgiving! I never thought about traveling on a holiday. Looks like it went well for you.
Thank you! I had never traveled on the holiday itself before, but it was a great experience. And knowing that pretty much everything (Disney) would be open when we got to our destination was enticing. Where we're at, a few restaurants in town may be open, but it's a ghost town on holidays for the most part!

First Full Day, Let's Start It Off Right! Then We Can Go Swimming!

Good morning, WDW! I don't have a lot of frames of reference, but is it the best feeling to wake up that first morning on your WDW trip? The full vacation is ahead of us, and all of the magic and fun is yet to be had!

The Mrs. and I knew 100% that we would want to kick things off right, so you know what that means... Character Breakfast! I love me some buffets (even family style is welcome), but I'm definitely more partial to a breakfast buffet than dinner. So we're definitely in my wheelhouse here!

We were fortunate enough to snag a rezzie at Chef Mickey's for our first morning. I've heard the food leaves something to be desired, but again, I love me some breakfast, and starting off the day with the Fab 5 was going to set the whole tone for the trip! Off to the Contemporary!

IMG_8893.JPEG
Obligatory first shot of the Walt Disney World sign! Now we're here :love:
I should note that our resort (hotel/villa/whatever you want to call it) was no more than a 15-minute drive to any WDW destination we went, so that was a major plus. We ended up taking other methods of transportation for fun as well, but having the car definitely opened up options for us. I think I'll opt for the car rental on all future trips, even if staying onsite and primarily using WDW transportation.

I don't think I visited the Contemporary during my 2013 trip, so this was the first time I'd seen it in person, and it was a sight! Seeing the monorail go through the hotel was pretty cool!

Breakfast turned out to be really good! They started us out with a few pastries, fruit and yogurt. So far so good. Then the good stuff arrived. Yes, I'm referring to the main dishes, but mostly the morning booze
8-). I ordered the Gingerbread Indulgence, which was Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, Heavy Cream, Ginger & Cinnamon Syrup topped with Whipped Cream, Gingerbread Morsels and a Chocolate Gingerbread Man. Mine was missing the morsels, but it was still great and tasted like the holidays!

IMG_8906.JPEG
Wifey enjoying my drink!

IMG_8902.JPEG
Decent spread
Everything was good to great. I was really looking forward to the banana bread french toast, but it was pretty dense and nothing special. And then the characters showed up!

IMG_8915.JPEG
The star and head chef of breakfast!

Minnie.JPEG IMG_0081.JPEG IMG_0077.JPEG
And the rest!
I have in my notes that all the Fab 5 was there, but I didn't get any pics of Pluto, so maybe I lied to myself. Sounds like something I'd do! After a leisurely breakfast, it was time to press on with our plans! It's our first day, so what park did we decide to go to?

None! Well, unless you count a water park... Off to Blizzard Beach!

IMG_8936.JPEG
Me minus sunglasses equals squinty pic!
You might be asking why we didn't go to an actual park for our first day? We wanted to, but Black Friday is notoriously busy at the parks, especially MK, which of course had to be our first official park. (oops, spoiler again...) I also subscribe to a particular website that tracks crowd levels, and we planned most of our days based on the lowest crowds as much as possible.

So, we went to Blizzard Beach on our 2013 WDW trip, so I was looking forward to Typhoon Lagoon, but it was closed
😥. Still had tons of fun at Blizzard Beach though. The wave pool was pretty weak, wave-wise. It was a bit chilly that day, so we didn't stay for too long.

IMG_8937.JPEG
You would never catch me on Summit Plummet, but the Mrs. loves it!

IMG_8938.JPEG
Melt-Away Bay, the "wave" pool.
After our fill of the water park, back to the hotel to rest up until dinner! And since I'm at my 10 pic per post limit, that means... TO BE CONTINUED!

Next up: Let's Finish Up Day 1 Strong! Dinner And Drinks At The Polynesian!

Last edited:
Let's Finish Up Day 1 Strong! Dinner And Drinks At The Polynesian!

We're well rested, hungry, and I'm wearing my Trader Sam's t-shirt, so that means it must be time to head to the Polynesian! With what we had going on earlier in the day, we didn't think it was likely that we would make it in time to get a spot in Trader Sam's, but we checked it out anyway. I think the wait was two hours, so we opted for the Terrace instead. Same drinks, less interactive theming. I'm fine with it. We'd been to Trader Sam's at DL and had the interactive drinks, so I didn't feel like we were missing out this time.

We chose our drinks based off of the souvenir mugs we wanted to buy. Mom got the Krakatoa Punch, which I didn't try. Wifey and I shared the Nautilus, because the mug was awesome and huge, and it was a two-person drink anyway. The drink was strong and had a prominent peach flavor. It wasn't delicious, but not bad and definitely got me feeling the way I wanted it to 🍹.

IMG_8965.JPEG
Nautilus, served outside of the souvenir mug.

Krakatoa and Nautilus.jpg
We didn't unbox the mugs, so here are a couple of stock photos.
We ordered a couple of apps too. Nothing too big, as we had a certain dinner coming up in a couple of hours. A dinner that is sure to be loaded with delicious carbs... Wifey and I shared the Chicken Lettuce Wrap, and Mom had the Thai Chicken Flatbread. The flatbread was decent, but not much chicken. I thought the wraps were meh, but they're not really my style anyway. Wifey really liked them.

IMG_8966.JPEG
Thai Chicken Flatbread

IMG_8967.JPEG
Chicken Lettuce Wrap
We hung out for an hour or so, taking in the ambience of the terrace at night, which was really nice.

IMG_8987.JPEG

We walked around the resort for a little while before dinner, shopped a bit, contemplated and talked ourselves out of a Dole Whip from Pineapple Lanai, and checked out all the Christmas Trees! Now it's time to head to 'Ohana!

We'd eaten at 'Ohana on our last trip. I remember it being good but nothing over the top fabulous. I honestly didn't remember at all about the noodles that everyone raves about, nor did I remember too much about the bread pudding, although I do remember really liking the dessert, so that's something I guess. Service was obviously different because of COVID, so instead of the waiters bringing out the skewers of meats, everything was served family style.

As I said, I'm more of an all you can eat breakfast guy, so for dinner, I'd rather focus on a single entree, like a burger, or chicken, or steak. I don't need all three, plus sides, etc. But still, I'm not mad at the spread, and most of it is very good. I'm writing a lot of this based on memory from 10 months ago, as well as some quick notes I tried to take along the way. I don't have anything written for 'Ohana, so from memory, none of the meats were anything to write home about, and forgive me, but the noodles didn't rock my world either. They were good, but not what I was expecting from all the rave reviews. They had a weird, sticky sweetness to them that I wasn't ready for. Overall, everything was good though.

IMG_9005.JPEG
Starters

IMG_9006.JPEG
Wings, gyoza, THE noodles, and some broccoli looking stuff

IMG_9007.JPEG
And, the MEATS!

But the main thing I do remember, and what I will remember for a long time, is that bread pudding. Oh wow. It's only night two, and I've already talked about one of the best desserts I've ever had, but this bread pudding is right up there as well. As full as we were from the drinks and apps, and all the spread at dinner, I wasn't prepared to leave a crumb of that on the plate. Had I known what I was getting into, I would have skipped a plate or two at dinner to have a second bread pudding. It was that good.

IMG_9018.JPEG
I need more of this in my life!
The restaurant itself had a nice atmosphere. It was loud of course, but dimly lit, and we had a view of the water outside with Cinderella's castle in the background. And as a nice little surprise, we saw the Electrical Water Pageant happening during dessert! I wasn't aware that was even a thing at that point 😂. All of the "Aunties" and "Uncles" were so nice, and the ukulele player was fantastic.

That's about it for tonight. We finished dinner, loosened our belts, and headed on back to the hotel to prepare for the next morning. We're actually going to a real park y'all. With rides!

IMG_9023.JPEG
One more shot at the Poly. Loved the Christmas trees all over!

Next up: We Can Fly! (aka Magic Kingdom, We See You!)

Last edited:
We Can Fly! (aka Magic Kingdom, We See You!)

OK, so this is my first time "leading" a WDW trip, so I'm new to the TTC and timing it all out. We have almost two weeks to get it right though! For whatever reason, we didn't rope drop today. I think the park opened at 9am, and we got to the line at the TTC at about 9:45. With the line, it took us just under 10 minutes to get to the pay window, and another five minutes to park. Not bad in my opinion. We ended up taking the ferry, and we were inside the park just before 10:30.

IMG_9032.JPEG
On the ferry, anxiously awaiting our day at MK!
When we scanned our Magic Bands and approached Main Street, we could hear the Dapper Dans singing Christmas melodies, and we immediately saw a huge tree as we turned the corner. Then the castle, all decked out in 50th Anniversary swag! Surreal and magical, to say the least. We noticed all the 50th Anniversary Golden Statues as well, and we tried to snap picks of each one we found, hoping to find all 50. I'm not sure there were even 50 at that point, or if there are now.

IMG_9043.JPEG MK Castle.JPEG
Now, I'm a DL vet, so I know how to maximize our time and minimize our wait time for rides. While I'm figuring that out here at WDW, which may prove to be impossible, we had to charge on. For me, a trip to DL always feels like it needs to begin with a ride on Peter Pan's Flight. I felt we needed to do the same here, so off to Fantasyland! The posted wait was 75 minutes, ugh! But we're all patient (for now), and we have a long trip ahead of us, so we did it anyway.

IMG_9054.JPEG
The queue for the ride in WDW is much better than DL, and the interactive shadow part was really fun to watch. The wait turned out to be about 85 minutes, for a three-minute ride. Was I mad? Heck no! I was home, and the trip was really real now! :earboy2:

After the ride, we went to Gaston's Tavern for a Cinnamon Roll, extra icing of course, and LeFou's Brew. We already have both the Gaston stein and Belle chalice, so we didn't opt for the souvenir cup this time. I always enjoy the tart/sweet combo of Lefou's Brew, (or Red's Apple Freeze in DCA), and it was good today, but not as good as I remember it to be.

Ariel's Undersea Adventure was next. Over at DCA, this is a never wait type of ride. Here, it was a 45-minute posted wait. We only waited 25 minutes though, so bonus! The theming here is so much more developed than DCA though, so the queue was worth the wait.

IMG_9075.JPEG
Next up is Pirates! Now, I love me some Pirates of the Caribbean. The ride that is. I never got into the movies and haven't seen one all the way through. I was happier with the ride pre-Jack Sparrow, but the mechanics are the same, so I can still enjoy it. I stand firm that the ride itself is much better at DL, but the queue at MK is way better. The wait was 30 minutes, and that was pretty accurate.

IMG_9104.JPEG
After Pirates, we headed to Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Cafe for lunch. Well, Mom did. While we were waiting for her bacon cheeseburger, I ran to Sleepy Hollow, because I've been craving that Sweet & Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich for almost nine years! And Wifey wanted a corndog. I don't do the greens, so I got the broccoli slaw on the side for Wifey to enjoy. The waffle sammich was as good as I remembered it to be, and the corndog was good as well. Nowhere near as good as Corn Dog Castle at DCA, but nothing is!

IMG_9106.JPEG
Mom's Bacon Cheeseburger

IMG_9107.JPEG
Sweet & Spicy Chicken Waffle Sandwich and Corndog

Now I need a nap, so off to Carousel of Progress! I'm sure it's a great story, but I fell asleep last time I rode it, and I'm sure I wouldn't be able to stay awake this time. It's nothing personal. I do the same thing on Small World, People Mover, Spaceship Earth, etc. I don't try, it just happens. No wait for the Carousel.

IMG_9116.JPEG
Yes, it was a good nap!

We checked out Monster's Inc. Laugh Floor next. We waited about 20 minutes, even though they had 15 posted. They picked me out of the audience to dance. I was game!

IMG_9126.JPEG

I'm out of pic room, so... TO BE CONTINUED!

Next up: We Can Fly! (aka Magic Kingdom, We See You!), Part 2

Last edited:
We Can Fly! (aka Magic Kingdom, We See You!), Part 2

Time for a snack! We never got that Dole Whip last night at Pineapple Lanai, so off to Aloha Isle!

Wifey and I shared the Tropical Serenade, which was coconut soft serve and POG juice, with a pineapple upside down cake pop. I loove coconut (I have a coconut tattoo) and this thing was fantastic! The soft serve was creamy and paired well with the POG. In my experience, POG juice is usually pretty gritty from the guava, but this wasn't at all. The cake pop was soft and moist, with a subtle pineapple flavor. Even though I missed the classic pineapple Dole Whip, Mom got one, which she couldn't finish, so I got to :P

IMG_9131.JPEG

Logically, our next stop was the Enchanted Tiki Room! Same show as always, which is great, as always! Theming is great at DL as well, but MK is the winner here.

IMG_9132.JPEG IMG_0110.JPEG

We headed to Big Thunder Mountain next, which only had a 30-minute posted wait time. But we had a delay, and by the time we got there, it was almost an hour, so we skipped it for now and headed to the Country Bear Jamboree. I can use another nap anyway 😴.

After what I'm sure was a riveting show... we headed back to Adventureland to make our dinner reservation at Jungle Navigation Co. Ltd. Skipper Canteen. So much name!

IMG_9144.JPEG

The theming of the restaurant was fitting, and the jokes the hostess and waitress told were punny. But I'm here for the food! We started off with the not-so-secret menu item Pao de Queijo, the Brazilian cheese bread, served with chimichurri cream cheese. I've had these before elsewhere, and they were no better or worse here. Pretty good, nothing special.

IMG_9149.JPEG
For the main course, Mom had the Lost and Found Soup, which changes ingredients sometimes, so I have no idea what was in that one. Wifey had the Skipper Dan's Dan Dan Noodles and added chicken and shrimp. She really liked it. I opted for the "Hardy Har Char" Siu Pork, which was a little overcooked to me. I also ordered an Adventureland Colada to drink, which looked really good on the menu. It was thick like a shake and way too sweet, but still very tasty.

IMG_9152.JPEG
"Hardy Har Char" Siu Pork

IMG_9153.JPEG
Skipper Dan's Dan Dan Noodles w/ chicken + shrimp

IMG_0114.JPEG
Adventureland Colada

After dinner, we decided to call it a night. On the way out of the park, we caught a nighttime show that projected a pretty cool Christmas theme onto the castle. Main Street was lit up all nice too! I love Disney during the holidays! We may or may not have bought a few things on the way out, but we were glad to be on our way to rest and relax.

IMG_9156.JPEG IMG_9159.JPEG

Next up: EPCOT! Little Chef Or Moana? Can We Do Both??

Last edited:
We were at WDW right after Thanksgiving. Like you, breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. I especially like the buffet at Boma. Trattoria al Forno and Trail's End are also very good for breakfast. And the boat ride to Trail's End and back before starting the day at MK is very enjoyable.

As you can see, I too had the Nautilus drink at Trader Sam's, but it was too much for just me (see my Trip Report on Page 3).

Still enjoying your trip.
Next time try the Macadamia Nut Pancakes at the Poly Kona Cafe.
Id don’t need to know about anything else on the menu And ask for half bacon Half sausage cause they’re both great !
I guess the Kona coffee service is worth it but I truly enjoy drinking coffee when it is served to me . With a friendly second of chit chat.

Thank you for having the guts to say this!
I stand by it! I think I was expecting standard garlic noodles or something.

Still enjoying your trip.
Next time try the Macadamia Nut Pancakes at the Poly Kona Cafe.
Id don’t need to know about anything else on the menu And ask for half bacon Half sausage cause they’re both great !
I guess the Kona coffee service is worth it but I truly enjoy drinking coffee when it is served to me . With a friendly second of chit chat.
Thank you for continuing the journey with me! I hope to post the next update this weekend. The next part is a really fun day at Epcot.
We didn't make it to Kona Cafe, but if we did, as delicious as the mac nut pancakes sound, I still need to try the Tonga Toast first! I'm not a coffee drinker, but the Mrs. is. She loves to drink Kona coffee when we go to Maui!

EPCOT! Little Chef Or Moana? Can We Do Both??

We decided to rope drop today! We got to the parking lot pay window about 8:45 and were parked within two minutes. Nice! I think we stopped at Joffrey's for coffee (cocoa for me, I don't do coffee) and pastries. We lined up and were let in the turnstiles at about 9:15. We made our way directly to Test Track, and there was already a 55-minute posted wait! Must be all those onsite Extra Magic Hours guests! We probably would have waited, but lucky for us, there's a Single Rider queue 8-) . Wait time went from 55 to 0, just like that! Test Track was fun as always. If I was going to compare it to Radiator Springs Racers, I'd give the win to RSR for theming,

After Test Track, we headed to Soarin'. It was a 45-minute posted wait, but we waited about 40. Soarin' is fantastic as always. but I miss the orange grove smell on Soarin' Over California. As good as the ride is, the best part is just before the ride!

Nice Work Pal Soarin Over California GIF - Nice Work Pal Soarin Over  California Patrick Warburton - Discover & Share GIFs

When I need encouragement, I think of this.

The ladies were a bit hungry, and lunch wasn't for a couple hours, so we stopped by Sunshine Seasons and they split a turkey sandwich.

We decided to head to World Showcase for a while, since we had plenty of time before lunch, and the ladies needed to walk off the snack to prepare for the buffet to come. We strolled leisurely through Canada, UK and France, then browsed a bit at Creations, killing enough time until it was time to eat. I was hungry by this point!

Garden Grill was our next stop, for Chip & Dale's Harvest Feast! If we missed the turkey and fixin's on Thanksgiving, we sure got our fill here! They started us off with bread and butter and salad, followed by the mains. We had flank steak, turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, mac & cheese, and the obligatory veggies. Corn and green beans today. Strawberry shortcake for dessert. The Mrs. also got an adult beverage that caught her eye, the Citrus Freeze, which is 'Orlando Orange' Vodka, Peach Schnapps, and Mango Puree. I didn't find it very potent, but it was tasty and reminded me of an orange creamsicle.

Character-wise, we saw Chip & Dale of course, plus Mickey and Pluto, all in their farmer's finest gear! During COVID protocol, guests sat around the perimeter while the characters were in the middle section. I've never been there before, so I don't know how it usually works.

Everything was really good, and we left really full!

Garden Grill.jpg

IMG_9214.JPEG IMG_9219.JPEG IMG_9227.JPEG IMG_9220.JPEG
The spread

The best part of the meal was that it came with reserved seating for tonight's performance of the Candlelight Processional! We've wanted to see that for a long time.

After the filling meal, we lined up for Living with the Land. We only waited 15 minutes from a 20-minute posted wait. For some reason, I actually stay awake on this one!

IMG_9230.JPEG
Line looked long, but went really fast

IMG_9235.JPEG IMG_9240.JPEG IMG_9247.JPEG
Some of these are more hidden than others, but Wifey is really good at spotting them!

Mom was tired, so we decided to head back to the hotel. After a quick rest, Wifey and I were ready to go back to EPCOT. Mom was done for the day though, so the rest of the afternoon and evening was Hubs/Wifey only time 😍.

And since I'm out of picture space, I'll make this a quick one, and continue next with our couple's evening! TO BE CONTINUED!

Next up: EPCOT! Little Chef Or Moana? Can We Do Both??, Part 2

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter