WDW Pro's but CA Newbies Feedback Wanted Please!!!

rjvose17

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

We have been to WDW so many times we can't count. I feel like my kids have grown up on WDW property. We have also been to Disneyland Paris but have never ventured out west to Disneyland or California at all! We are a family of 4, with our two girls being 15 and 12 at the time of our trip. We travel all over the world so we like to think we know what to do. However surprisingly we haven't touched the west coast much at all. This is what we have planned so far. Please give us any feedback or any tips that would help make the trip just that much better! I look forward to reading all the responses. Thanks in advance. Below are the details!

July 10-14th Flying into LAX and staying at the Hilton Anaheim. (We are former DVC members** and almost rented points for GC but couldn't bite the bullet on the price)

• 2 day 1 park each day ticket
  • Max Pass (we got hit with the price increase by one day! Should've bought them a day sooner!)
  • NO clue where to eat. (Favorite WDW restaurants Ohana, Le Cellier)
  • Want to do some LA tourist Hollywood stuff. Any must sees?
July 14-17 Trying to decide to visit either Palm Springs or San Diego. Leaning towards Palm Springs. Convince us one way or the other. Flying out of LAX the 17th.

Some helpful things about us as a family:
  • We LOVE rides. The bigger the badder the better.
  • We love delicious high end food. No seafood though please. We are from Maine, seafood is overrated in our opinion. A juicy steak, killer sandwich or top notch pasta is where it's at.
  • We love details and picture opportunities. My husband and I do photography for a hobby. The little detailed things make our trip unique to us are our favorite and create unexpected memories.
  • Here is a link to my Disneyland Paris picture album on my photography website:https://www.janvose.com/Disneyland-Paris-April-2018

*****We sold our DVC two years ago and it was the hardest travel decision to make. While I don't regret it because the money we were putting towards the DVC costs has allowed us to see the world, I do very much miss being in the nicest places on property.

Hmmmmm, you only have 1 day at each park, so we can't take time out to eat....

On your day of arrival, my suggestion for dinner would be either Steakhouse 55 at the DLH or Mortons, which is right by the Anaheim Hilton.

As for heading to LA, I'll have to let others chime in as there isn't much I like to do there.

As for Palm Springs or San Diego, if you golf, Palm Springs. Otherwise, there is much more to do in San Diego.

Thank you!!!

Hmmmmm, you only have 1 day at each park, so we can't take time out to eat....

On your day of arrival, my suggestion for dinner would be either Steakhouse 55 at the DLH or Mortons, which is right by the Anaheim Hilton.

As for heading to LA, I'll have to let others chime in as there isn't much I like to do there.

As for Palm Springs or San Diego, if you golf, Palm Springs. Otherwise, there is much more to do in San Diego.

Star Wars Galaxy's Edge will be open by July (it is expected by June 21 at the latest). One day in DL park will be challenging to say the least. Even without SWGE, DLR deserves a proper 3 full days to experience both parks. For comparison, 2 days at DLR will feel like 4 days at WDW. Only enough time to scratch the surface and hit the headliners.

I have stayed at the Hilton but personally would not choose that for a DLR visit. It could be worse, but still will be a bit of a hike to the parks by foot. See
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862 and
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/

For dining I tend to agree with @Malcon10t that with two days you may want to stick with counter service. Fortunately DLR CS is better at this than WDW. I agree with SH55 on day of arrival - not on a park day. I would make one dining res in the parks for a 2 day trip and that would be Blue Bayou. Do not expect to be wowed by the food. BB is the signature restaurant at DL. Most consider the food pretty good. I do. The atmosphere is amazing though.

While at DCA have some fun and dine at Flo-s V-8 Diner in Cars Land.

For MaxPass, you should get it. The free photos will pay for it. See "Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/

Plan your DCA day to see World of Color. The best Disney show anywhere, anytime. Yes, better than any of the WDW shows.

You will not have a lot of time for shows, so aside from WOC you may want to stick with rides. If your DDs like Frozen, the Frozen stage show at DCA is Broadway quality and really good.

I agree with @Malcon10t that LA and Hollywood is just meh. Likely to disappoint but if you gotta go, then go.

Instead do some interesting things like visit the Santa Monica Pier, La Brea Tar Pits and/or a Spanish mission such as San Juan Capistrano.

I would choose San Diego over Palm Springs in a heartbeat (I used to live in SD) and if you head that direction then consider visiting La Jolla, Old Town, Point Loma and maybe the Midway aircraft carrier. Lots to do in SD.

If you want some more details then sink your teeth into this: "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:

If you can add more days I would.

We see this a lot with WDW vets. They give Disneyland less days. Remembers Disneyland resort has just as many rides in 2 parks that WDW has in 4.

If you like the big rides get maxpass. Just do it. It’s worth every penny. Beware tho. You will love it 10x more than fastpass+.

General strategy includes getting a there before the parks open. I’d be prepared for crowds as Star Wars opens in June.

When out Casey for Disneyland daily. Her park strategies are the best.

For food- with 2 days I’d eat inside the park . If you want to see a show, a show package meal might be worth it. works of color may be back so the dessert party is my favorite.

~more days
~park hoppers (flexibility!!)
~Blue Bayou....waterside table

~~San Diego..… Palm Springs is in the DESERT.....extremely hot! way more to do in San Diego

Hi,
I agree with others.....if you can add another day that would be better. We typically do 2 days at DL and 1 day at DCA.

For food there aren’t the same type of sit down options, so counter service is much more popular. However, we make time each trip for Cafe Orleans to share the huge Monte Cristo. It’s a favorite for us.

Also, San Diego over Palm Springs any day. Much more to do and see!

Have a great trip!

Another vote to add an additional day if you can. We are AP holders who go 3 or 4 times a year and have never done less than 3 days (we travel from northern ca, so it's not a day trip for us).

My partner and I both love fine sit down dining and usually do Carthay, Napa Rose, and Steakhouse 55 each trip. We plan these meals to take about 2 hours, which is hard to do if you're only doing 2 days in the parks. Carthay is the best restaurant in the parks, IMO, otherwise I agree to stick to counter service when time is limited.

If you really want to splurge, the Napa Rose chef's counter with wine pairing is amazing.

Hi All,

We have been to WDW so many times we can't count. I feel like my kids have grown up on WDW property. We have also been to Disneyland Paris but have never ventured out west to Disneyland or California at all! We are a family of 4, with our two girls being 15 and 12 at the time of our trip. We travel all over the world so we like to think we know what to do. However surprisingly we haven't touched the west coast much at all. This is what we have planned so far. Please give us any feedback or any tips that would help make the trip just that much better! I look forward to reading all the responses. Thanks in advance. Below are the details!

July 10-14th Flying into LAX and staying at the Hilton Anaheim. (We are former DVC members** and almost rented points for GC but couldn't bite the bullet on the price)

• 2 day 1 park each day ticket
  • Max Pass (we got hit with the price increase by one day! Should've bought them a day sooner!)
  • NO clue where to eat. (Favorite WDW restaurants Ohana, Le Cellier)
  • Want to do some LA tourist Hollywood stuff. Any must sees?
July 14-17 Trying to decide to visit either Palm Springs or San Diego. Leaning towards Palm Springs. Convince us one way or the other. Flying out of LAX the 17th.

Some helpful things about us as a family:
  • We LOVE rides. The bigger the badder the better.
  • We love delicious high end food. No seafood though please. We are from Maine, seafood is overrated in our opinion. A juicy steak, killer sandwich or top notch pasta is where it's at.
  • We love details and picture opportunities. My husband and I do photography for a hobby. The little detailed things make our trip unique to us are our favorite and create unexpected memories.
  • Here is a link to my Disneyland Paris picture album on my photography website:https://www.janvose.com/Disneyland-Paris-April-2018

*****We sold our DVC two years ago and it was the hardest travel decision to make. While I don't regret it because the money we were putting towards the DVC costs has allowed us to see the world, I do very much miss being in the nicest places on property.
First, I love your Disneyland Paris pictures! We are headed there for the first time in April!

I'm going to echo PPs in suggesting that you add a day and/or parkhoppers if possible. Maxpass sounds like a must for you guys if you're into the big rides and have limited time. Also, San Diego is awesome - I'm not sure why you'd want to go to Palm Springs, ha!

As for food, consider Napa Rose! It's a wonderful restaurant. I haven't eaten at Steakhouse 55 in years, and I'm sure you can't go wrong there if you're into steak, but at least look into Napa Rose and see if it appeals to you. I agree with PPs that with two days, I wouldn't bother with table service in the parks (I actually wouldn't even bother with Blue Bayou, which we used to love but has gone really downhill IMO).

If you are interested at all in fine dining off site, look into The Ranch (high end steak house). The Ranch is on Ball Rd., about 5 minutes northeast of the parks. Very good food, very good wine list. Well respected restaurant in the area. Not a chain.
Also agree with the above suggestion for NR. We love NR and always have great service there. The servers are super nice. The food is California Winery style. Also vote for San Diego over Palm Springs (maybe look into a photo safari at the Safari Park in Escondido?), park hoppers if at all possible, Maxpass (you won't regret it), and more days. And definitely read through HydroGuy's links -- soooo helpful.

ETA: I think SD ComicCon starts on July 18th, so if you do choose SD over Palm Springs, I would try to do it early and end with DLR.

Last edited:
Another vote for at least three days and park hoppers with MaxPass if you can swing it. It will be very busy with Star Wars open and the extra day and flexibility will come in handy!

I don’t recommend Palm Springs in July. It will be sooooo hot! San Diego is amazing though and there is so much to do! Beach, San Diego Zoo/Zoo Safari Park, SeaWorld plus lots to see and do downtown!

If you really want to splurge, the Napa Rose chef's counter with wine pairing is amazing.
I considered recommending this also, however, the poster said they liked steak and pasta, and Napa isn't either of those. Rabbit, venison, goose, yes. Steak no. I am also a "steak" person, and while I enjoyed NR Chef's counter, it was more the people I was with than the food.

You really should get park hoppers and add a day. Also Palm Springs in the summer is pretty awful. San Diego is awesome any time of the year. LA is usually disappointing.

I considered recommending this also, however, the poster said they liked steak and pasta, and Napa isn't either of those. Rabbit, venison, goose, yes. Steak no. I am also a "steak" person, and while I enjoyed NR Chef's counter, it was more the people I was with than the food.
That’s actually why I wouldn’t recommend the chef’s counter, but if they order their own choices off the regular menu, they may enjoy it!

As others have said, I also strongly encourage you to add another day. Galaxy's Edge should be open by then and that kind of puts DL planning out the window. I think you will need another day in DL to be able to experience what you want and not feel like you're missing out. If you can't add another day, then I'd definitely at least do park hoppers. While DCA is fun, I would be bored with an all DCA dedicated day.

People are already steering you right regarding the Disneyland stuff, so I'll chime in on Hollywood. If you are into movies, I highly recommend the Warner Bros. VIP studio tour. If you like Harry Potter of Batman, you will like it! There's lots of film history on display too. It's a great tour. It's not too far from Universal City, so there's always Universal Studios Hollywood to check out. I actually like it better than US Orlando. If you're checking out the Walk of Fame in the Hollywood & Highland area, the Madame Tussaud's museum there is actually pretty great and much more fun than I expected it to be. You can see the Hollywood sign from this area if you can find a clearing between the buildings - there's no real reason to go all that close to it.

Have fun!

Hm, ok, if you're there 7/10-7/14 and you've only got 2 day 1 park/day tickets, then you either need to devote both days to just Disneyland park OR count on missing out on a fair amount of stuff at Disneyland. That's only going to be a few weeks after SWGE opens, so the parks will be CROWDED! If you were going at a non-prime time of year, then 1 park per day over 2 days would probably be fine to give you a little taste of stuff. But this summer is not that sort of situation.

Skip Palm Springs. It really sucks there in the summer. Regularly above 105. It's miserable. Don't bother.

If you go to San Diego, count on a 2-hour drive from Anaheim to San Diego not counting rush hour traffic. Same thing for the return trip in the evening.

The Hollywood walk of fame is highly overrated. It's NOT glamorous. It's not a nice neighborhood. I would not be interested in hanging around there after dark. There's a lot of better stuff to do in LA. It just depends on what you're interested in.

You really should do 3 days at Disneyland. After just 2 days, you'll be wishing you did a 3rd day. And then you'll have to come back for another trip! :-)

Thanks everyone! This was awesome to come home from work to read. Especially after a 13 hour day and a long boring school board meeting. :teacher:

We are definitely going to spend some more time looking at San Diego since that seems the popular vote. Palm Springs is so different from Maine that it sounds enticing. We can see beaches all day long here. But now that everyone said it's not interesting perhaps we go to San Diego.

Sounds like we have to add a third day. We got our tickets from undercover tourist but we can still upgrade once we get there.

We will have to check out Hydroguys guides! Thank you all so much for that direction.

Sounds like our days will be too packed to get much table service. I am hoping to go to Flo's. Any unique to DL snack that's a must have?

I'm nervous about LA/Hollywood. Our girls really want to go there but I am not too jazzed over it. I like having an idea in my head what it should be and am bound to be disappointed from all I've read.

This all was super helpful. Thank you all so much!

Thanks for checking out my pics. Enjoy Disneyland Paris! I hope they have started the improvements when you get there. It really needed some TLC. It is VERY small. We stayed 3 days and we were done in 1.5. We stayed at their Sequoia Lodge, which is kinda like the Wilderness Lodge equivalent. It was ok. I will also be in France in April. I head with my students to London, Paris, Venice, Rome and Capris! Last April when we were there it ended up being 80 degrees! I didn't even pack a bathing suit. :headache: Have a great time.

First, I love your Disneyland Paris pictures! We are headed there for the first time in April!

I'm going to echo PPs in suggesting that you add a day and/or parkhoppers if possible. Maxpass sounds like a must for you guys if you're into the big rides and have limited time. Also, San Diego is awesome - I'm not sure why you'd want to go to Palm Springs, ha!

As for food, consider Napa Rose! It's a wonderful restaurant. I haven't eaten at Steakhouse 55 in years, and I'm sure you can't go wrong there if you're into steak, but at least look into Napa Rose and see if it appeals to you. I agree with PPs that with two days, I wouldn't bother with table service in the parks (I actually wouldn't even bother with Blue Bayou, which we used to love but has gone really downhill IMO).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter