WDW primer for DLR vets?

sgrap

DIS Veteran
I know there is a great thread on the Disneyland forum with advice for WDW vets who are visiting Disneyland. Is there any reverse thread for DLR vets going to WDW for the first time?

I just booked 3 nights in early June for when we are visiting our active duty son. I know we'll barely be able to make a dent--we really will only have 2 days--but I'm overwhelmed at the FP+, magic bands, dining res's etc., etc. that I know nothing about! We have a DVC room booked so far and that's it, just over 3 months out. Any recommendations for where to start just over 3 months out for a novice WDW'er? :thanks:

The thread is in serious need of an update as it has nothing on FP+, MDE, and other topics. One of these days I will find time! :)

:wizard:

I can answer some questions. Grew up DL, now I go to both parks yearly.

Don't go in with any pre expectations. Hand down DL has the better rides when it comes to the old time rides, space, splash, pirates, it a small world, Matterhorn, cars and Indy.

WDW has some that are unique to them Everett, test trak, safari.

They have some that are the same soaring, haunted mansion.

As for dining, think city living, you need a ressies if you want a sit down table meal. Also think food will not be anywhere near as good as DL. There are some amazing places, but for the most part food is mediocre. Read some of the reviews. Even quick service has some unique things, like a fried green tomatoes sandwich at Hollywood studios.

As for magic bands, don't sweat it, they work just like the plastic cards if you have if you stay at DL hotels, except you can wear them. Also, you can use them for payment of food and purchases.

If looking for advise, since you only have 2days, I would do MK and Epcot if I were you. MK will show you all the diffences between the parks. Epcot will give you a huge appreciation for Walts future world, and for other countries. Because you are going early June, pandora will only be open for a week, I would probably skip AK because the crowds will be very large, or if you go at least skip pandora, since the lines will be hours long those first weeks/months. I would also skip hollywood studios, because so much is being built there, new Star Wars land and new toy story land. But that is just me.

Thank your son for his service. Your time is short, but if you have time check out shades of green, I love the military resort on Disney property. Don't read the reports of food there, to tell you the truth, it is not the best, but I find it better than most of the food at WDW, I love the New England clam bake, and you can't beat the breakfast there and for half of anything you will find in the park. You do know that you can get rooms there for a lot less than at WDW resorts?

One big thing to remember is, with the exception of Epcot and the Studios (which is about 15-20 minutes), you cannot walk between the parks. So pick the parks of your choice and realize you will need to factor in transportation time between parks.

I can answer some questions. Grew up DL, now I go to both parks yearly.

Don't go in with any pre expectations. Hand down DL has the better rides when it comes to the old time rides, space, splash, pirates, it a small world, Matterhorn, cars and Indy.

WDW has some that are unique to them Everett, test trak, safari.

They have some that are the same soaring, haunted mansion.

As for dining, think city living, you need a ressies if you want a sit down table meal. Also think food will not be anywhere near as good as DL. There are some amazing places, but for the most part food is mediocre. Read some of the reviews. Even quick service has some unique things, like a fried green tomatoes sandwich at Hollywood studios.

As for magic bands, don't sweat it, they work just like the plastic cards if you have if you stay at DL hotels, except you can wear them. Also, you can use them for payment of food and purchases.

If looking for advise, since you only have 2days, I would do MK and Epcot if I were you. MK will show you all the diffences between the parks. Epcot will give you a huge appreciation for Walts future world, and for other countries. Because you are going early June, pandora will only be open for a week, I would probably skip AK because the crowds will be very large, or if you go at least skip pandora, since the lines will be hours long those first weeks/months. I would also skip hollywood studios, because so much is being built there, new Star Wars land and new toy story land. But that is just me.

Thank your son for his service. Your time is short, but if you have time check out shades of green, I love the military resort on Disney property. Don't read the reports of food there, to tell you the truth, it is not the best, but I find it better than most of the food at WDW, I love the New England clam bake, and you can't beat the breakfast there and for half of anything you will find in the park. You do know that you can get rooms there for a lot less than at WDW resorts?
Thank you! We will be getting military tickets probably right before going, so will I be able to make any reservations (other than dining, I see I can do that now) with just my room reservation?

One of our teen girls absolutely loves animals, so we were thinking of Epcot and AK. What is Pandora?

Thank you! We will be getting military tickets probably right before going, so will I be able to make any reservations (other than dining, I see I can do that now) with just my room reservation?
You'll need to link your ticket vouchers to your MDE account to book FPs 60 days out from your DVC check-in date. You'll be able to book FPs for your complete trip but you do need linked ticket vouchers.

Pandora is the new Land based on the Avatar movie that will open in AK over Memorial Day weekend. Expect a crowded AK during your visit.

You'll need to link your ticket vouchers to your MDE account to book FPs 60 days out from your DVC check-in date. You'll be able to book FPs for your complete trip but you do need linked ticket vouchers.

Pandora is the new Land based on the Avatar movie that will open in AK over Memorial Day weekend. Expect a crowded AK during your visit.
So I can't make any FP's until I link the tickets?

We have to wait until our son finds out if he can get leave, which might not be until a few weeks before this trip . . . :sad1:

So I can't make any FP's until I link the tickets?
Correct. FPs are based on ticket entitlements.

You may be okay because no one knows when AK FPs for the Pandora rides will become available.

Correct. FPs are based on ticket entitlements.

You may be okay because no one knows when AK FPs for the Pandora rides will become available.
OK, thanks. So what does someone do if they are unable to make any advance FP's? Just wing it? I'm starting to get why DLR folks are hoping this system doesn't come to DLR!

OK, thanks. So what does someone do if they are unable to make any advance FP's? Just wing it? I'm starting to get why DLR folks are hoping this system doesn't come to DLR!
What last minute ticket buyers do is link their tickets immediately and book 3 FPs for rides that appeal to them that have availability. Guests also get to the parks well before the park opens and then head to a high priority ride.

It's similar to how guests wait for DCA to open and then line up at the rope, following @HydroGuy's wide-right directions, to ride RSR. :)

Use your same park open strategy for DLR for the 2 parks at WDW.

What last minute ticket buyers do is link their tickets immediately and book 3 FPs for rides that appeal to them that have availability. Guests also get to the parks well before the park opens and then head to a high priority ride.

It's similar to how guests wait for DCA to open and then line up at the rope, following @HydroGuy's wide-right directions, to ride RSR. :)

Use your same park open strategy for DLR for the 2 parks at WDW.
I appreciate your DLR analogies! ;) They make much more sense that way! :rotfl2:(We have used the RSR strategy with much success, although we have now decided TSMM is better to do first and then get a RSR FP.)

I guess I'll just have to do my research and then wait until my son gets approval for leave and then buys the military tickets for us. Waiting on a 23-year old male requires much patience! ;)
Thank you so much for all your help!:goodvibes

Do you think your son will get leave sometime between now and dec, but just don't know when? If that is the case, he can get you the salute tickets, and they will not expire until mid dec. That way, you can have your tickets, make your ressies and FP, and if your dates change, you just change things around. He can order the tickets thru shades of green or his base and mail them to you, he has to be there is you use salute tickets or Stars and Stripes, but not if he orders regular tickets.

If you want DAK, that's okay, just try to not do pandora, the lines will be crazy. Fast pass safari, Everett and rapid k river ride. Or if you want get a breakfast for tucker house at 8 and run right to safari at 9. Then get FP for Everett, k river and dinosaurs. DAK has always been just a half day park, we can never make a hole day of it, somif you have the salute tickets, I would then head to MK. If not, do all the shows.

Do you think your son will get leave sometime between now and dec, but just don't know when? If that is the case, he can get you the salute tickets, and they will not expire until mid dec. That way, you can have your tickets, make your ressies and FP, and if your dates change, you just change things around. He can order the tickets thru shades of green or his base and mail them to you, he has to be there is you use salute tickets or Stars and Stripes, but not if he orders regular tickets.

If you want DAK, that's okay, just try to not do pandora, the lines will be crazy. Fast pass safari, Everett and rapid k river ride. Or if you want get a breakfast for tucker house at 8 and run right to safari at 9. Then get FP for Everett, k river and dinosaurs. DAK has always been just a half day park, we can never make a hole day of it, somif you have the salute tickets, I would then head to MK. If not, do all the shows.
That is a great idea, but unfortunately we live so far away from FL and have no plans to return this year, so we are kind of stuck waiting for him to find out an answer before we buy the tickets.

My husband and I had some problems last year (our house caught fire while we were out) and we didn't think any Disney World trips would be possible but less than two weeks before Memorial Day weekend, we decided to take a break so we bought annual passes and I thought the FastPass situation would be hopeless. I linked everything up, looked at what we wanted to do and was able to get everything we wanted without a problem. So don't negate yourself until you know. Go with the flow and just keep swimming :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter