WDW Onsite Guests Staying 28 - 31 Aug Galaxy Edge NO EMH

Our last day is the 29/08 (staying onsite) so I really want to give it a try . We are coming from the Uk so no idea when we will be able to come back .
I will be on my own with 3 kids ( 8,10 and 17 yrs ) so the idea of sleeping outside all night is quite daunting .
I am sure my 17 years old will be fine , but a bit worried about my younger ones .
So if Disney could adjust the hours in the evening for onsite guest it would be great .

1) Just because Disney offers something for the next two months for on site guests that doesn't address those who booked onsite for the opening of Galaxies Edge

2) Don't let others discourage you from sending in a complaint, as a consumer you have every right to voice your displeasure

3) Alas I fear if you want to get their attention (and it will take many people to do this) is to simply cancel your onsite reservation and let them know you will be staying offsite to save money as you see no benefit to an onsite stay since everyone gets in early to SW:GE

Personally I prefer to rent a house near Disney as it save us tons of money and allows us to cook full meals. But we have started to alternate and stay onsite because of the perk of Fastpass+ at 60 days changed the game. Some of the other perks increase the value of an onsite stay. When Disney doesn't offer the perk of an onsite stay you are looking for (such as extra magic hours) then the onsite stay becomes less valuable. If enough people cancel their reserve action because Disney is giving the same perk to onsite vs offsite guests they will take notice.

I am staying the week they start the the extra extra magic hours and it causes some mixed feelings for me. On one hand I am pleased they are doing it 3/4 parks to hopefully spread the crowds, on the other hand we had breakfast reservations for those 3/4 parks at 0800 hrs to get in early ahead of the crowds.......

Good luck in your quest getting Disney to listen as they are the ones that tout and advantage of onsite stays and make sure they give advantages to those that do yet in this instance not give that perk.......

1) Just because Disney offers something for the next two months for on site guests that doesn't address those who booked onsite for the opening of Galaxies Edge

2) Don't let others discourage you from sending in a complaint, as a consumer you have every right to voice your displeasure

3) Alas I fear if you want to get their attention (and it will take many people to do this) is to simply cancel your onsite reservation and let them know you will be staying offsite to save money as you see no benefit to an onsite stay since everyone gets in early to SW:GE

Personally I prefer to rent a house near Disney as it save us tons of money and allows us to cook full meals. But we have started to alternate and stay onsite because of the perk of Fastpass+ at 60 days changed the game. Some of the other perks increase the value of an onsite stay. When Disney doesn't offer the perk of an onsite stay you are looking for (such as extra magic hours) then the onsite stay becomes less valuable. If enough people cancel their reserve action because Disney is giving the same perk to onsite vs offsite guests they will take notice.

I am staying the week they start the the extra extra magic hours and it causes some mixed feelings for me. On one hand I am pleased they are doing it 3/4 parks to hopefully spread the crowds, on the other hand we had breakfast reservations for those 3/4 parks at 0800 hrs to get in early ahead of the crowds.......

Good luck in your quest getting Disney to listen as they are the ones that tout and advantage of onsite stays and make sure they give advantages to those that do yet in this instance not give that perk.......
I agree with your 1 and 2 point. But let's be clear, Disney never said they were offering emh for opeming day of swge, and when they updated the hours they added emh to all the other 3 parks for the 29th and then added emh for mk and ak on the 30th and 31st. When you stay on property you are told that a park will offer emh during your stay so they are keeping their promise
But by all means if you think you need to let them know your dissatisfaction email them for sure

When you stay on property you are told that a park will offer emh during your stay so they are keeping their promise
But by all means if you think you need to let them know your dissatisfaction email them for sure

Yes but if you booked in anticipation of perks being offered to onsite guests, because let's face it that what Disney does, then if those perks are not offered or they offer the same perk to everyone regardless of stay (such as 6am start time) then your best course of action is stay somewhere else and save the money......

Also the booking window for hotels is open well before they set the time for park hours.....

Yes but if you booked in anticipation of perks being offered to onsite guests, because let's face it that what Disney does, then if those perks are not offered or they offer the same perk to everyone regardless of stay (such as 6am start time) then your best course of action is stay somewhere else and save the money......

Also the booking window for hotels is open well before they set the time for park hours.....
Disney never promised perks for staying on-site. You already get a perk for staying on site with transportation and stuff like that. I get being disappointed but Disney didn't do anything wrong here.

Well, you’ve got the perk of booking those early morning fp’s at 60 days out.

Anyways, I see it as a wash. Onsite guests from the 28th-31st may choose to avoid it altogether, go later in the evening or save their visit to Sept. 1st if they’re concerned about offsite people filling up the park early in the morning. And don’t lots of offsite Disney Springs hotel now qualify for emh? I’m not sure if crowds will be noticeably lighter when emh kicks in on the 1st of September.

Regardless of emh or no emh, it’s going to be packed for the first few weeks. Get there early.

Since many offsite hotels now get access to EMH, and virtually every eligible guest at WDW would probably try to make use of those specific EMH on those opening days, it's debatable how useful those EMHs would even be.

Disney never promised perks for staying on-site. You already get a perk for staying on site with transportation and stuff like that. I get being disappointed but Disney didn't do anything wrong here.

Not saying they promised just that going by past precedent with Disney emphasizing staying onsite vs off I can easily see how people would be disappointed that the first couple of days the parks opens at 6am and is available to everyone one regardless of accommodations. If you booked in anticipation of this then your option is stay offsite as the perk is not there, just be sure to let Disney know as they use the perks to drive people to stay onsite.

Well, you’ve got the perk of booking those early morning fp’s at 60 days out.

Which if you booked an onsite stay just to attend SW:GE is a pretty useless perk.

In the end I am saying I understand the original posters frustration, I hear what you are saying but still feel the OP has every right to be upset.

OP - How many other forums are you going to put this on? I see most of the responses are the same as those you got on The Dibb - ie, there's no point in complaining, Disney are doing nothing wrong. I booked my trip for September in the hope of missing the GE crowds as I can't stand Star Wars but unfortunately it's not to be. But instead of moaning and being all outraged that I have to contend with all the crowds I'm just going to enjoy my holiday :) So many people can't go to WDW for many different reasons and I consider myself lucky to be able to go there. (By the way, for anyone who doesn't know, The Dibb is a Disney site specifically for UK visitors).

Last edited:

But the perks are being offered. Disney says "stay on site and get EMH at a WDW park" for the 29th you got 3 parks with EMH, for the 30th and 31st you got 2 parks with EMH.

Which if you booked an onsite stay just to attend SW:GE is a pretty useless perk.

In the end I am saying I understand the original posters frustration, I hear what you are saying but still feel the OP has every right to be upset.

Let’s face it, there are plenty of perks that are useless to many people who choose to stay onsite if they don’t plan to utilize those perks anyways.....Disney transportation, park to resort package delivery, and the ddp are a few perks that come to mind.

I think the point is, emh for those dates at HS were never a perk anyways. No matter when you booked your trip. Nothing was taken away. Of course the OP has every right to complain if they wish. I just personally don’t understand complaining about something that never existed. The OP has perks, it’s just not the perks they wanted.

I wish they would release more info on how they handle crowds, if there will be a virtual queue, etc but I doubt we will get those details this soon. Hopefully after DL opens there will be more info.

There may still be an advantage for on-site guests that has not been announced yet.

Overall I think the park hours that they have announced gives people a lot to work with. I don’t have many plans in place and I am trying to stay flexible.

Hi,

I have started this thread for all those guests staying onsite at WDW from 28-31 August.

We have been given NO Extra Magic Hours as a hotel benefit to access Star Wars Galaxy's Edge.

Which I find extremely unfair and as so I have sent a complaint email

to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com.

If you could do the same I think this might be the only WDW will take notice that we are not happy.

Disneyland California hotel guests received a designated time.

WDW guests after the 1 Sept get 3 Extra Magic hours.

Yet we get nothing.

Thanks for reading.

An update.

I sent a polite complaint email to WDW and it is almost 6 days with not even a generic response. They say that it takes up to 7 days to respond but I am not hopeful.

So tomorrow I am going to send a harsher complaint email and cc any email addresses I can find like george.kalogridis@disney.com, robert.a.iger@disney.com.

If you are a hotel guest staying onsite 28/29/30/31 and are also annoyed please contact WDW and Disney fan boards.

I am sure there are a LOT of hotel guests that could send complaints in.

Disney I am 'guessing' are sacrificing their hotel guests staying 28/29/30/31 for the news headlines.

They want the TV/newspapers reporting on the 10 hour queues, people sleeping in tents etc good publicity for the opening days but unfortunately the hotel guests are going to lose out.

Thanks

Forgive me if I'm snippy or give the impression to get over it....not my intention. So you lose the perk of EMH at DHS....take advantage of it at other parks and do later evenings at the Studios. Will that help with the massive lines at SWGE...well you won't know until you try...but considering Disney has given everyone equal playing grounds the first 3 days is quite generous. Because for the next 2 months offsite guests are probably going to be in tears with the thoughts of entering DHS after the EMH crowds have been there. YOU are losing EMH for 3 days. Offsite guests are losing whatever advantages they had for TWO months. Who should be the one sending out the emails?

They may have learned from their mistake in 2017 when Pandora opened. We were there for 7 days pre and post cruise that summer. Pandora was the ONLY evening EMH all of those nights. Pandora has only 1 headliner and every night it had a 3 hour que and it the land isn't big enough to wander around in for hours like MK. We had FP for FOP those six days so really had no urge to go and wait 3 hours. I would have loved for MK or any other park to be also be open to soak up the crowds or for us to escape the crowds in Pandora. EMH's are important during the summer when it is impossible to tour in the heat of the afternoon. We were done every evening by 10PM and they did not add morning park hours to any other parks. I emailed them afterwards with my disappointment.

I wish they would release more info on how they handle crowds, if there will be a virtual queue, etc but I doubt we will get those details this soon. Hopefully after DL opens there will be more info.

There may still be an advantage for on-site guests that has not been announced yet.

Overall I think the park hours that they have announced gives people a lot to work with. I don’t have many plans in place and I am trying to stay flexible.

I just can't see how DL will be compared to WDW. DL is much smaller, with fewer hotel rooms, and less people trying for the same thing. Maybe I am being pessimistic but for our trip to WDW 12/07-12/13 we will be lucky to just get into SW just to walk around and have no hope of doing the ride/rides at all. My son [an adult] is a major SW fan but he is a realist and based on size of SW land , they will close it down with reaching capacity, it is only about 11 acres. I guess if they had the hours of 6A-midnight every day that could help to disperse crowds, which they might do. Hollywood Studios would be done like EPCOT/World Showcase where the CMs close off the Countries when Future World is opens in the morning.

You know what you should definitely do when you're upset when you're not given something you were not entitled to in the first place in the first three days of the biggest opening Disney has probably ever seen? Write an angry email to people who don't care. Why not just cancel your reservation? Three more people would book. Honestly, the entitlement I see sometimes is mind boggling. Disney doesn't owe use anything. If you don't like how they do things, use your vacation dollars and your voice elsewhere. That's how you make any kind of impact.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!