WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

Thr shows were being reblocked to allow distancing before they had the union/ Disney dispute. This decision is purely money saving and not about safety

I agree as the Bourne Stunt Spectacular is done at Universal with the actors wearing masks in an indoor theater. Their face characters in the park wear masks too, so if Disney chose to do shows, they could figure out a way...it is all about the money.

I just have no words. I’m heartbroken on several levels, but mostly for the performers themselves. And I just lost any desire I had to go back any time soon.
Same. I’d just booked for Oct. & Dec. 2021 so I’ll be keeping an eye out for news they are coming back. Not the same without shows and these performers. So sad and Disney could do better.

Thr shows were being reblocked to allow distancing before they had the union/ Disney dispute. This decision is purely money saving and not about safety

I know comparing post 9/11 to Covid is like comparing apples to bigfoot, but was there THIS MUCH carnage after 9/11?

I know comparing post 9/11 to Covid is like comparing apples to bigfoot, but was there THIS MUCH carnage after 9/11?
no, there were layoffs but not to this extent, the difference is that after 9/11 people were scared to fly over but everything was open still, they didn't have to close other than the couple of days after, there was no need to limit capacity, on the contrary this is when Disney decided to create the dining plan, the bounceback offers, year of a million dreams...they could offer all the incentive for crowds to come back
With covid it's a balance between having people come but not too many and also the unkown of what the virus will do is more limiting.
But they could've switched some of these shows to a couple of days a week only or just a couple of performances a day, what Disney did is overblown and will affect what you get from the parks from now on, not only that but the consumer now knows what they did and morale will be low
ETA recovery from 9/11 took about 5 years, this will definitely be longer

Last edited:

Not even close. Although the parks were evacuated that day, they reopened the next day. Hours were much shorter back then anyway, because September was a "slow period." If a park was open until 8 or 9 pm that was "late." 9-7 would have been a typical park open time for that period.

Would these layoffs include the performers at restaurants like Biergarten?
I don't have anyt info on that. So far Mariachi Cobre is the only one safe at epcot, no word on VoL other than they are set to perform during the holidays

In August we saw Mariachi Cobre, Marimba de las Americas, and Jammitors. We could hear the Biergarten band playing from outside the restaurant.

Unfortunately, Disney is bleeding money right now. They are open at 25% capacity which means they are losing a huge chunk of revenue from the people who can't/won't come. The are probably still losing money being open, just not as much as if they were not open. I hate it for the actors and for all of us, but I also can understand it. They will right the ship once we can get past this pandemic

Unfortunately, Disney is bleeding money right now. They are open at 25% capacity which means they are losing a huge chunk of revenue from the people who can't/won't come. The are probably still losing money being open, just not as much as if they were not open. I hate it for the actors and for all of us, but I also can understand it. They will right the ship once we can get past this pandemic
I do not think Disney World is currently bleeding money. I think it is highly unlikely they are operating Disney World at a loss. The current ratio of customers and extremely reduced costs (way less hotel/restaurant/entertainment costs) makes it likely that they are at least breaking even or more likely even making a profit at WDW. And if they were operating at a true loss, they certainly would not be bringing more hotels online without increasing capacity (which they said last week they were not doing). As a whole corporate entity they are definitely still losing money at Disneyland. Yet Disney+ was/is doing great. And they announced not long ago on a call they had plenty of reserve money. So I am not buying Disney's entire woe is our company tune when they restored executive salaries back in August.

I do not think Disney World is currently bleeding money. I think it is highly unlikely they are operating Disney World at a loss. The current ratio of customers and extremely reduced costs (way less hotel/restaurant/entertainment costs) makes it likely that they are at least breaking even or more likely even making a profit at WDW. And if they were operating at a true loss, they certainly would not be bringing more hotels online without increasing capacity (which they said last week they were not doing). As a whole corporate entity they are definitely still losing money at Disneyland. Yet Disney+ was/is doing great. And they announced not long ago on a call they had plenty of reserve money. So I am not buying Disney's entire woe is our company tune when they restored executive salaries back in August.
WDW might not be losing too much money but TWDC most definitely is. Counting DL still closed, DLP shutting down again, huge loss from movies that were already made and paid for, huge loss in lack of new movies and tv shows, yeah they're losing money

Last edited:
I know everyone is different, but I'll share my perspective. My trip in late August was about 95% a normal visit for me. The only show that I regularly see that wasn't running was FotLK, so it was really just that and fireworks that weren't there for a normal trip for me. Which really, HEA is the only fireworks show that is a must for me, the others I really only watch if I happen to be there at the right time. I go to WDW for the rides, theming, and food/snacks, which were all still there for me (minus Peoplemover). And most of my trips lately have been rD weekends, meaning that I would be back to the hotel and in bed by 8, 9 at the latest anyway. It truly felt like a normal trip for me (other than the M word of course). I know this isn't true for everyone, but I'm sure there are others out there like me.
Thanks for that perspective!!! I appreciate it! My heart is just broken with Festival of the Lion King - that was my son's favorite movie when he was little :) and I cry every time we saw it. I always said "I'm not going to cry" LOL and as soon as the cast comes out, I bawl like a baby and my son (who's 21 and a fire fighter) puts his arm around me <3

This is being discussed in the swge subforum but it's a change in operations at dhs so sharing here as well
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...l-queue-for-star-wars-rise-of-the-resistance/
Ummm...Im not sure how I feel about this - I mean I get it that this makes it more accessible to more folks, but what if someone who is able to get on at 7am and get a boarding group then misses their boarding time because they can't get into the park on time, for whatever reason, then that means a spot on the ride is missed...

I would assume (and you know what assuming does) but if you were IN the park and got a boarding group you'd stay in the park and therefore not miss your boarding time...

and I get that they're trying to relieve the crowds in the morning - we were there 2 weeks ago and experienced it but planned our day and was sitting outside HS at 8:40am and we rode everything we wanted, including ROTR...

I guess we'll have to see how this works out..

we come back in Dec so there will be like 6 weeks of this new plan under our belt....

Ummm...Im not sure how I feel about this - I mean I get it that this makes it more accessible to more folks, but what if someone who is able to get on at 7am and get a boarding group then misses their boarding time because they can't get into the park on time, for whatever reason, then that means a spot on the ride is missed...

I would assume (and you know what assuming does) but if you were IN the park and got a boarding group you'd stay in the park and therefore not miss your boarding time...

and I get that they're trying to relieve the crowds in the morning - we were there 2 weeks ago and experienced it but planned our day and was sitting outside HS at 8:40am and we rode everything we wanted, including ROTR...

I guess we'll have to see how this works out..

we come back in Dec so there will be like 6 weeks of this new plan under our belt....
Each change in procedure always gets a push back, we get used to doing things one way.
Let's see how this actually pans out, i see nothing but positives here, if at 7 you get a bg you can head to the park without that added stress, if you don't get a bg you can decide if you want to go ro another park and change your park reservation
Also the stress associated with getting there in time.

Each change in procedure always gets a push back, we get used to doing things one way.
Let's see how this actually pans out, i see nothing but positives here, if at 7 you get a bg you can head to the park without that added stress, if you don't get a bg you can decide if you want to go ro another park and change your park reservation
Also the stress associated with getting there in time.
we already have a 7:30am ADR at Tratorria at BW and then planned on walking over to HS - I wonder if they will still let folks in early or if this will push opening to closer to 10am...

We did this same plan a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm and were in the gates by 9:15 and then headed to MMRR and then Slinky before the park officially opened.

Hmmm....

we already have a 7:30am ADR at Tratorria at BW and then planned on walking over to HS - I wonder if they will still let folks in early or if this will push opening to closer to 10am...

We did this same plan a few weeks ago and it worked like a charm and were in the gates by 9:15 and then headed to MMRR and then Slinky before the park officially opened.

Hmmm....
I think that's exactly what they're trying to do, get people to arrive a bit later but we won't know until the first couple of days

I feel horrible for anyone that was furloughed. We have had to do the same to many people during this pandemic due to the loss of income. It's just a fact in today's world until we are past this. My only issue is that I don't see the pandemic ending anytime soon and that people are just going to have to live with it for the next few years. I expect there will be a vaccine that will be as effective as our flu vaccine 50/60%. Most parents will not give the vaccine to their children the first year for sure. And, many others will play a wait and see on the vaccine.

With that said, I do believe most individuals will decide to get back to a semi-normal life come next summer no matter what is going on with the pandemic. I expect that Disney will start hiring back their entertainment middle of 2021 and everything back to normal by the 50th celebration. The 50th will not be as elaborate as planned or we hoped but will be back to a mostly normal setting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!