• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Boardwalk, Disney Dream Cruise, Animal Kingdom Villas an aliens report & photos

Wednesday 17th Aug – A perfect day.

My most favourite place on earth is Serenity Bay the adult beach on Disney’s very own island Castaway Cay. Today I was going to celebrate my birthday there – I couldn’t wait.:cloud9:

I had set a wake up call on the phone in my cabin for 7 am – but I didn’t need it. I woke just after 6.30 and lay in bed. I had to pinch my self; I was really on the dream. Funny one of the most frequent complaints on the Disney wonder and Disney Magic was the alarm clocks in the cabin didn’t light up. Disney certainly listened as the clock in the cabin was giving off quite a bit of light. (I bet people will now complain that they are too bright). It was 6.45am and I couldn’t contain myself any longer.:cool1:

I Sat upright and shouted “IT’S MY BIRTHDAY” YIPEE. :bday:

That woke DH up! I went over to the desk and got the pile of birthday cards from friends and family that I had received before we left and brought them back to the bed, where I proceeded to open them. Its funny out of 12 cards 6 had pictures of shoes and 3 had handbags on???

DH had a risen and bent down to his case that was underneath the bed – oh did I mention that all the cases fitted under the bed – that was another improvement on the older ships. Any way he pulled out a large bag and handed it to me.

I opened it carefully as he’d warned me it was fragile – OH MY GOD it was an ipad2. :love:party:I turned it on and there was a picture of our dogs – I burst into tears. Now these tears I must stress where happy tears. I’d been saving up for a couple of months to try and get some money together for an ipad. DH had one and I would borrow it when he wasn’t using it. He had even loaded all my apps from my iphone so it was ready to use. (The penny dropped, as about a month ago when I was out with my friend, DH had phoned to ask what my iTunes password was, he said he needed to reboot all the computers in the house. I had grumbled all afternoon to my friend that he’d better not muck up my iTunes stuff. When really he was using it to get my present ready. ):rolleyes1

Well after that surprise we got a bag ready for the beach; it contained our ipads, snorkels, sun lotion and hats. By now it was now 7.45 and we headed along the corridor to the Enchanted Garden for breakfast.

Actually we had breakfast everyday in the enchanted garden – you had to check the navigator though as the opening times varied each day. The restaurant was just opening and there was only one other family in front of us. We were seated by the window and a server came across and asked us if we would like coffee and juice. I was able to get my cranberry juice no problem. We then went down to the buffet.

The server who was handing out plates noticed my birthday badge and asked me if I would like a ‘normal’ plate or a ‘Mickey’ plate. I got the Mickey plate and was so pleased I did – you were able to keep your food separate from each other eg savoury and sweet. Any way as it was my birthday I treated myself to Mickey waffles and blueberry pancakes yum!

Disney2011080.jpg

Breakfast was really peaceful in the EG and not busy at all. We left 8.20ish and went back to our room to pick up our bag and this was the view from our porthole

Disney2011088.jpg

I loved the location of our room. It was very central. Down one flight of stairs and we were at the midship gangway. We got off the ship dead on 8.30, collected our towels from the cm and set off to get the two trams to serenity bay.

Disney2011082.jpg

Disney2011086-1.jpg

The weather was hot but there were dark clouds in the sky and rain was due – all excursions were cancelled (we did not have any booked)

By 8.50 I was lying on my lounger chilling out.

Disney2011087.jpg

DH scuba dives and we both love going in the water – so we left our things and headed out with our snorkels and masks. It was so peaceful and there was a lot of fish and things to see. It started to rain when we were in the sea – but that did not matter as we were wet anyway. Luckily we did not see any thing too scary, as in the past DH has seen a nurse shark and we both have seen stingrays & barracudas. (Serenity bay does not have a shark net like on the family beach)

Once we left the water we had to have a Konch Cooler – this is a fab cocktail although for the life of me I can’t remember what’s in it?

After reading a bit we looked at our watch and it was 11.30 – so we decided to go and get some lunch. Now I don’t know what the lunch is like at the family beach but at Serenity bay it is fab! There is a selection of salads, the usual bbq fare, chicken, burgers, and hotdogs. However in addition they had salmon and cooked to order steak. Boy was the steak good I ordered it medium and was cooked to perfection. For dessert I had an ice-cream. Over the lunch the weather changed dramatically and the sun now shone –I felt very sorry for the cm’s cooking on the large bbqs. It was hot!!!

Well after lunch we went back to the loungers and it was amazing how many people turned up – where were they when it was raining? Lol that being said SB was not busy at all and still very tranquil. A couple more cocktails and at 3.30pm we reckoned we were cooked enough. DH and I decided to get back to the ship to rest up.

Once on board (around 4pm) DH headed to the gym I went to the laundry room and ironed my clothes for dinner. Deck 2 has its own laundry room and I never saw anyone else use it apart form DH. Back in the room I decided I needed a light snack to tie me over till dinner –so I called Room service. I ordered the Caesar salad, the all hands on deck cheese platter and two chocolate milks and cookies (for bed time).

Disney2011090-1.jpg

Room service was very prompt and the food was lovely, I sat on the couch munching my goodies and watching a detective programme on the TV. It was fun seeing everyone getting back to the ship too.

Once dressed for dinner we decided to see the show – tonight was villains. It was ok – not the best DCL show – DH did not like it as he said he didn’t recognise who the majority of the villains were.

After the show we headed up to the outlook bar for a drink. This was one of our favourite bars but it was hard to get too –and not always open when you got there. It is on deck 14 and has a lovely view – a great place to watch the sunset. There was a piano player and a bartender and us. I had a game of name that tune with him.

Outlook bar
Disney2011093.jpg

Dinner tonight was back at the EG (our second home) and the food was lovely. It was great to have my favourite scallops on my birthday and they were sooo good.

Disney2011095.jpg

Laura and Marco also surprised me and gave me a wonderful present – I was very touched. At the end of the meal the servers came with a cake and sang happy birthday. :cake:
Disney2011096.jpg

After dinner DH and I went to Evolution and watched ‘match your mate’ – this was hilarious and I recommend watching it any cruise (although I wouldn’t be a contestant). Match your mate is DCL adult version of MR & MRS. Then after came the DJ and the boogying. By this time it was nearly midnight and my birthday was coming to an end. We headed back to our cabin and I shared a chocolate milk and cookie. It was the best birthday I’d ever had.

Disney2011094.jpg

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:
Another WONDERFUL DAY !!! :goodvibes
I so like :lovestruc the way you write ; I can "pretend" I am still onboard !!

It looks like you thoroughly enjoyed EACH minute of your birthday day !!!
That surprise from DH is sooooo cute !

I remember your celebration at our table , and our servers were really outstanding !!

PLEASE , keep on the wonderful job ... I don't want your report to come to an end !!!! ;):cool1::thumbsup2

laura :hug:

What a great birthday present. Dad bought me mine after our Norway cruise and I love it. :goodvibes

Birthdays don't come much better than that!....
Castaway Cay AND iPad 2.....PRICELESS !!!!!!! :worship:
Glad the weather held out for you
Not sure what date you where there, but our excursion (parasailing) was cancelled on 23rd August.
I agree about the Villians show........So may people are not happy with it :sad2: ...

What a fantastic birthday! Can't wait to try out Serenity Bay for myself ;)

Helen-- I have so enjoyed your trip report! It's like being back on the Dream! I'm sorry we didn't get to talk with you more at the meet--that first day was just so crazy for us. Maybe on the next cruise!

I keep meaning to do a TR. (Uploading pictures is what's holding up the process.) But yours is certainly inspiring me!

Helen, Im loving your TR! It reminds me of the cruise,we did so many of the same things. Cant wait to see what you all do next. We were at Kidani before the cruise and loved every minute of it.

Wow, what a wonderful way to spend your birthday :cloud9:

I love the dress you are wearing in the evening :lovestruc

:teacher:Thursday 18th- The day at sea.

Now I have to explain at the moment I've hurt my back and am flat on my bed, typing this on my iPad . I'm struggling to add the photos , so if they don't work I'll add them when I'm back in my feet.
Thinking about Disney is helping me to get over the pain I'm in .*

After the excitement of yesterday I was happy to lie in and did not wake up until 8.00. I showered and got ready but had to wait until 9.00am before we could go for breakfast again the enchanted garden. It had a later opening time. I was beginning to feel like the EG was our own little secret. I'm not sure if it was because we always went at opening time but it was always very quiet.*

Once again I got my cranberry juice & coffee then headed to the buffet. It was funny as we were really early one of the head servers was standing looking at the counter. I was wondering what he was doing, although it soon became apparent as a chief was summoned and the HS said there was no Mexican hot pockets on the other side of the buffet. He was making sure both sides were symmetrical .*

I got a Mickey plate again, which was great as I chose to have a cooked breakfast of scrambled eggs and the aforementioned Mexican hot pockets. Theses were mini wraps with a spicy filling- very tasty. I then got a Mickey waffle with a tough of syrup and was able to keep this separate. I really was impressed with the food on the dream and think it had improved from the other ships.*

Last night when our bed was turned down we received an invitation to the gold & platinum castaway club reception which was to be held at 11am on the sea day. This meant I had an hour to kill. Dh said that it wasn't his thing, but I was curious. I'd put a sundress on as it was a reception , so I went to the cabin and grabbed my new iPad and headed up to the adult only deck, to lie on a lounger. *I went directly above the adult pool and was able to find a lounger, despite it being busy. I think most people seemed to be camped out for the day. The loungers were very comfortable, not the usual plastic ones.*

I read for about 50 mins before heading back to the cabin to freshen up. I was slightly anxious about attending the reception by myself but thought I.d be brave. I walked to evolution and entered. Cm's were * handing out champagne cocktails I grabbed a kir royal and thought things were looking up! There was also Cm's circulating with trays of lovely looking canapés, I wish I hadn't eaten so much for breakfast. * Just then I spotted Laura & Marco and I went over and sat with them. *The cruise director came on and started by saying he was going to bring out the captain so we could get our photo taken . He also said this would be the shortest line for any photo on the ship. Despite not liking having my photo taken, *the cocktail must have gone to my head and I joined the line with laura. This was the photo;

Disney2011097.jpg

Well after the photo with captain *Mickey the other captain, *Henry came out and spoke. He said that our cruise had broken the record for the most number of repeat cruisers on board. After captain Henry there was a presentation about the future cruisers showing the 2012 itineraries. Then the senior members of staff 'mingled' and asked us our opinions of the cruise so far . I chatted with the chef from Remy and said I was looking forward to dining there tomorrow. *The reception finished and we were all given tasty rice krispy treats. * It was now 12 and I agreed to meet back up with Laura and *go to *the adult art of animation class @ 1.15.*

I decided that I needed to grab some lunch and for the first time in this cruise I headed to cabanas. *I walked in and had a look round each of the stations, I knew what I wanted and hoped it was there! Yes I spotted the Asian station and it had the most yummy sushi ! I grabbed a plate and then went to get a drink. I really enjoyed a light lunch of sushi followed by some fruit- it was almost healthy ! After lunch I figured I'd better checkin in on dh - we had arranged to meet back at the cabin at 2.30 so we could go to the matinee show but I guessed where he'd be. On my way back to the cabin I walked round deck 4 , sure enough there he was on one of the loungers. *We chatted and agreed to meet later. I proceeded to the art class.

Can I start off by saying - I'm no artist! And this was proved correct by this class lol. I sat down by Laura , pencils and paper were already on the table. A cm then proceeded to talk you through each step and demo the character - which was goofy! Well we laughed when we looked at our own interpretations! Hmm I know goofy is peculiar but ... Lol ! When the class finished I took my art work and myself back to the cabin.

I met up with dh *and we went to the matinee performance of the golden mickeys. **This is one of my favourite shows and it didn't disappoint . In fact they have changed it slightly and added some new songs( one from tangled) . It was still great fun. *It was 4 pm and dh and myself decided to use our rainforest passes. So after changing into swimwear we headed to the spa.*

We had figured despite it being a sea day, going at this time it would be quieter as people would be getting ready for the early dinner or show. It was ! When we first went in there were about 5 other people in the sauna, however as it neared 5pm it was emptying. Dh & myself worked our way round the different saunas & steam rooms. We then tried the different showers, I couldn't help but laugh when dh went in the cool mist and he screamed it was freezing! * * We then walked to the area that had the 8 heated loungers and the 2 whirlpools. *There was only one person on a lounger and a couple in one of the whirlpools. We got some cucumber water to drink and headed to the second whirlpool. *It was sooo relaxing sipping the drink, and looking out at the sea. *After 20 mins we decided to go to the loungers - I WANT ONE OF THESE IN MY HOUSE! *The heat really soothes my back and it wasn't *long before I closed my eyes. *Ow! I was nudged! I sat up dh was laughing and said he had to nudge me because I'd been asleep for half an hour and I was starting to snore! I didn't believe him, although I was surprised when I looked and it was 6.45. *We left the rainforest room at 7 - the three hours past so quickly. *

One thing I forgotten to mention was yesterday afternoon when I got back from castaway cay the phone rang . I answered it and it was someone from the spa, saying that because I was a Gold castaway member I was entitled to a free mini facial *and to call When I knew my schedule. Now I debated whether or not to bother as I figured it would just be a sales pitch. But I was so chilled after the rainforest room I thought I'd go for it. So on my way out I went to the desk and mentioned the phone call . Yes she said , I was entitled to one, so I mentioned I was getting the frangipani scalp massage at 9.30 tomorrow and the cm asked if I could come at 8.30 and I'd be able to get the facial beforehand. Perfect!*

Tonight was semi formal night, but as we were eating at Remy & Palo the next two nights dh did not want to wear his suit, so instead he wore his usual linen to users and shirt. I however put on one of my long *dresses. *We ate at the Royal Palace and again the food was fab. I had duck, followed by lamb then for desert a souffle - yum!*

Disney2011100.jpg

Disney2011101.jpg

Disney2011101.jpg

Disney2011102.jpg

After dinner we went to evolution to *watch the comedy show- it was great .I was pleased we got there early as we had good seats and they were turning people away as all seats were taken 10 minutes before the show started. That lasted till 11.15, then we went to skyline. Skyline turned out to be our favourite bar. The setting was very chilled and the different skyline images beautiful . We stayed there till just after midnight then it was time to go to bed. * However while the atrium was empty I couldn't resist getting this photo!

Disney2011104.jpg

Another lovely day :cloud9:

We are doing a 7 night cruise in May and I would love to try the Spa this time, do you have to book to use the spa in advance?

Can you use all the spa facilities if you book a treatment?

Friday 19th august - Nassau day

I set the wake up call for 7.15 as I had my spa appointment @8.30. The enchanted garden did not open till 8am, but we figured if I was already to go we'd have time to grab a quick breakfast together then i'd head straight up to the spa. Yet again we were the first in to the restaurant and enjoyed a lovely meal. I left and at 8.25 and promptly arrived at the spa.When I checked in I was handed a questionnaire and seated in the lovely waiting area. I completed the questionnaire honestly , but I also wrote on the top in capital letters ' NO SALES PITCH PLEASE'. I handed it back and was introduced to Amanda from Ireland who was going to be my therapist. We walked into a beautiful treatment room right at he front *of the ship. The timing couldn't have been better as we were heading straight into the dock at Nassau - the view was amazing ! Amanda was great, I'm not sure if it *was because I was a fellow European but we chatted and it was so great. She told me about*her life on board ( she'd been on the ship 5 months) Amanda was so friendly and the facial was fab. Also because I was going to be having the scalp massage later , she would miss that out of the facial and instead do an arm & leg massage.*

Well it was heavenly, I had a great facial and really enjoyed my time with Amanda. What was even better, there was absolutely no sales pitch , it was as if I'd spent time with an old friend. Amanda gave me a receipt but it said there was no charge for the treatment , I signed *and left her a tip though. *When I came out if the treatment room *it was 9.25and Amanda introduced me to Emily who was going to do my frangipani massage. We went into the *hair salon and Emily who was also from the uk asked where I came from. When I replied Sunderland her eyes seemed to fill with water. It turns out she lives about 30 miles from my house and she'd only been on the ship 2 weeks. I think she was kinda homesick and we chatted about how she was finding it, along with talk of home. Emily said the Cm's were great and *how they kind of adopt you and become a surrogate family. *She also said when we were on castaway cay the other day , she had been on the cast beach doing water drills. Emily explained how they were practicing turning over a capsized lifeboat. She said she had found it difficult, which didn't surprise me as she was tiny!*

I'd had the frangipani scalp treatment previously on the Disney Magic and was pleased I was able to get it on the Dream. Basically your hair is painted with oils and then you are given a wonderful scalp massage. *Your then put under a gentle low heat so that the oils seep into your hair. The longer you leave the oils in your hair the better it is. As I had no plans on going to Nassau Emily combed my hair through and I left with the oils in my hair. It was around 10.20. I'd been in the spa and only spent $30 ( plus tips). What a great start to the day.*

I headed down to my cabin and *as I walked Long deck 2 I met with my dh. I said I thought you were getting off and having a look around . He laughed and said he had done and left me a note in the cabin. When I entered on the bed was the note and all it said was "NASSAU IS STILL A DUMP", lol. We looked at each other and said it's AQUADUCK time. We got changed and then headed up to the deck. The wait time was 15 mins but it went quickly. I must admit I was a little nervous as I don't to scary rides but *I need not have worried . We got to the front of the line and the cm who was very friendly asked us if we'd rode before. I think she was being polite as both dh and myself were looking at each other wondering how to get into the tube. She told us what to do, dh had to sit at the back, and reminded us to cross *legs *. Then she counted 1, 2, 3 and we were off! WOOSH , it was so much fun and wasn't scary at all! The only problem was that it was over too fast. Both dh and I really enjoyed it.*

Since I had my costume on I decided to go and hang out round the adult pool. Dh was going to back to deck 4 his favourite reading place, so we agreed to meet at the entrance to Cabanas at 1pm*for lunch. *When I got to the adult pool , I was lucky and one of the loungers right by the pool was empty. My only wish *and negative comment about the dream, was that you cannot swim in the adult swimming pool. I much prefer the quiet cove pool on both the magic and wonder. *Nevertheless the loungers were really comfy and I settled down to read my book.*

Just before 1pm, I went back to the cabin and got changed, then headed up to cabanas to meet dh. However we did not realise that there was more than one entrance to cabanas and it took ten minutes until we finally met each other! *Lunch was again lovely, it was the first time dh had been *to cabanas and he was pleased with the choice, ( he can be a bit picky as he doesn't eat cheese , tomatoes, pizza or pasta. ) the Asian section again was a favourite as it had a great stir-fry. We both said we need something substantial to line our stomach as we had the 'mixology' class later in the afternoon.

Mixoloy was the cocktail making class, and it was held in skyline bar. It cost $15 per person and tickets had to be booked in advance. There were ten places set and every one who attended was part of our disboard cruise thread. We introduced ourselves and worked out that we'd all booked before 1pm on embarkation day. Shaun was our bar man and he provided us with a large glass of iced water- boy would we need this ! He then proceeded to talk us through how to make different cocktails and give us quite large samples of them. ( ok it was more like full size drinks)

Disney2011105.jpg

Disney2011107.jpg

The mixology class was fun, but afterwards we needed to have a little siesta, especially since we had our meal at Remy's tonight!*

Remy was the new adult only restaurant on the dream. *The *menu which is French inspired was designed by two Michelin stars chefs. Now I am a big foody ( you might have guessed) and I have always wanted to have a Michelin starred meal. Dh is not really into fancy food, but as this was my birthday cruise he agreed to try this meal. *

After the cocktail class I couldn't face any more alcohol so I chose to have water with my meal. Although the meal begin with a complimentary champagne cocktail. *Dh and I both chose our own 4 courses rather than having one of the set menus. I had prawn with a melon sauce, duck sampler , wagu beef and trio of chocolate. In between the courses the chef would send out extra little treats . There was also a cheese course and at the end of the meal *a small silver box was brought which contained hand made sweets. I was also given a**rose.*

Disney2011114.jpg

Disney2011113.jpg

Disney2011112.jpg

Disney2011115.jpg

Disney2011117.jpg

Disney2011121.jpg

Disney2011120.jpg

Disney2011123.jpg

Disney2011122.jpg

Tonight was also pirate night, however we missed the party due to the meal taking about 2.5 hrs. So when we finished we changed and headed to skyline bar. *When we did finally go to bed *there was a note from the chef thanking us for our attendance and four handmade chocolates on our bed!*

Another lovely day :cloud9:

We are doing a 7 night cruise in May and I would love to try the Spa this time, do you have to book to use the spa in advance?

Can you use all the spa facilities if you book a treatment?

Hi

yes you really need to book your spa treatments online , when your online checkin opens. These go very fast.

However some salon treatments you cannot book online, ( like the frangipani scalp massage I had) I booked this on embarkation day as soon as I got on the ship.

You can buy passes for the rainfoest room in advance, they are available from dcl - you phone up to get them - we did this . They cost $16

Great day on the ship, it sounds so relaxing.

Great TR MrsJ sounds like you had a great trip.

How easy was it to get a taxi back from the shopping mall. Did you pre-book or was there a taxi rank?

My mom had Amanda for her facial as well! It was one of the highlights of the cruise for her, especially because they are traveling to Ireland at the end of the month. We won her the facial in the spa raffle on the first day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter