WDW 50th

WildGrits

DIS Veteran
We are planning a family trip to WDW for the 50th. 9/27/21-/10/4/21.

I know no one has a crystal ball that works but are we looking at Christmas day crowds? Or summer time crowds? What do you think?

I would think crowds would be somewhat normal EXCEPT for MK on the morning of 10/1. There will be media and all kinds of craziness. I'm hoping to be there for that day and I live in TX so I'm sure many will be planning trips to be there at MK for that milestone.

I agree, I think the crowds will be a bit bigger - especially at MK - but I think I don't think it will be like Christmas.

I was starting to get worried. We went for the 25th and didnt think the crowds were any big deal.

But this time I have 19 adults and 5 babies going. The DVC renter we have used in the past got me all worked up because she felt there was no way we wold be able to rent 4 studios and 2 2bedrooms because the place will be considered peak 10/1/21 due to the 50th.

She gave me a right spook.

I guess I will just need to look for new DVC owners instead.

I went to MK on the 40th.

It was an absolute gong show.

I left the resort at super earthy by bus. Many other obviously had the same plan. Problem was Disney did have transport running from the TTC early enough for these folks so there were many people walking on the roadways to the MK.
Merchandise was gone within the first 30 and landed on eBay by the 45 minute mark as Disney didn’t have any quantity rules in place. The specialty items were incredibly limited (they made about 45 anniversary cupcakes 😉 ) and the lines for limited edition pins etc were unbelievable, as they always are.

All that to say Disney must have learned from that debacle. I expect the actual 50th to be absolutely insane at MK - but hopefully better managed.

008DEA98-55C7-4240-928F-3FFA13200AF2.jpeg

I came across this photo on the internet a few weeks after my trip. That’s my blonde nugget in the blue shirt. I was just inside the ticket gate area. The crowd behind us was enormous. Needless to say it wasn’t a great experience and I left for EPCOT by 11am.

If you search back to threads from the 40th you’ll see I’m not the only one who felt this way.
Not to mention the opinion of The Dis podcasters.....

So what this issue just the day of the b-day? 10/1 ?

I am bringing 19 adults and 5 children. Out of those people 15 adults and 4 children have NEVER been to WDW so this whole 50th means nothing to them. I have no issue with moving our trip to the following week. I didnt want to go before the 50th because I know it is just going to be all walls getting ready for the celebration. I just want to go for decent weather and MNSSHP!!!

^^ Apparently that day is the start of the 50th celebration. Honestly, Disney marketing is celebrating something virtually every year we have been there.

That is the actual date of the birthday. We were there for the 25th but that was really before the internet took off. So not the same atmosphere as now.

We didnt even know it was the bday, we were going for my bday which is the 29th of September.

So what do you think? Should I move my dates a week into October? We do not care about buying any 50th swag. We are more interested in Halloween stuff.

I'm planning on going for the actual Oct 1 50th as well. So watching this thread for thoughts and discussions :) I set up a calendar reminder to set up room reservations as soon as they come available and to search for DVC rentals at the 11 month mark.
I was also considering going in Jan 2022 - when they should still be doing the 50th anniversary, but waaaaay less crowded.

I was starting to get worried. We went for the 25th and didnt think the crowds were any big deal.

But this time I have 19 adults and 5 babies going. The DVC renter we have used in the past got me all worked up because she felt there was no way we wold be able to rent 4 studios and 2 2bedrooms because the place will be considered peak 10/1/21 due to the 50th.

She gave me a right spook.

I guess I will just need to look for new DVC owners instead.

What do you mean “considered peak”? Are they telling you that it will require extra points or that they intend to charge extra $$$/point?

Merchandise was gone within the first 30
Sorry if this sounds dumb but does that mean the anniversary merchandise doesn't go on sale until on or after October 1st? I'm visiting twice next year (February and August) and hoping to buy some 50th memorabilia for myself. Will it be available?

What do you mean “considered peak”? Are they telling you that it will require extra points or that they intend to charge extra $$$/point?
Disney is changing the point cost of DVC rentals based on the time of year starting in 2021. So I'm sure it will be a 'peak' point cost for the actual day of the 50th.

Disney is changing the point cost of DVC rentals based on the time of year starting in 2021. So I'm sure it will be a 'peak' point cost for the actual day of the 50th.
DVC has already released the point charts for 2021. They did shift some point costs around but nothing earth shattering. They cannot increase the point cost “willie nillie” as you are describing. The person or company you are renting from may want to jack up what THEY are charging you per point but, that has nothing to do with Disney.

I see that the points have been posted for those dates. I think they are fair, nothing to steep.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter