Waterproof layers, Alaska

Carohs

Mouseketeer
We're sailing late August to Alaska and I'm reading advice about packing some waterproof shoes, jackets, and pants. We live where's its sunny year round and hardly ever rains so we don't have much of the above. I have some clothing I've kept tucked away in the back of my closet that I think should suffice but not the kids. DS has jeans and sweat pants, and DD refuses to wear anything but leggings. I know late August is still summer so maybe not as cold, how much should I stress about buying waterproof shoes/pants? Especially for something they're unlikely to wear again before they've grown out of it. Right now is obviously not the season for that kind of gear, so any recommendations would be appreciated!

I live in the southwest, so I hear you! I stressed about the same thing before our Alaskan cruise. I ended up limiting my new purchases to shoes and light rain jackets. The rain jackets were bought large enough to theoretically get random use over the next year but were thin and easy to pack (Lands End - look for sale items and coupon codes). For shoes, I got the kids and me Keen shoes - waterproof but not unreasonable for additional wear. (The women's hiking shoes actually work well for desert hiking.) We did not buy waterproof pants, and honestly doubt they would have gotten worn. We ended up having to do laundry to rewash shorts and short sleeves b/c it was too warm for pants and long sleeves most days.

It depends on what you’re planning on doing. Just walking around town, then just a raincoat and any comfortable shoes should suffice. Hiking on trails, then you’ll likely encounter muddy areas and would want something better. Late August is closer to being early fall, so definitely bring layers because it can get cold. While someone who lives here can wear leggings, I think someone who is used to warmer weather will feel the cold. Have your son pack a sweatshirt too and he should be good.Oh, and bring hats (or buy a souvenir), to help keep your head dry (hooded raincoats work too).

Five cruises to AK: mid-May, late May, late June, mid July, and early September.

I live in hot and humid South, with mild-to-cold winters. But have the blood of someone who lived in AZ (cool is cold to me).

I have never taken rain pants. Excursions that truly require them have provided them. I am in jeans in all my photos. And some sort of jacket or coat. Sometimes it just a rain shell jacket. Last year, I got a puffy jacket for its light weight and packability. Hat - yes. And gloves. They are small and really make a difference.

If you don’t have enough warmth, there will be an inexpensive Polarfleece-type souvenir jacket available in any port for $20-30.

Shows - rubber-toed Keen sandals or sturdy hiking tennis shoes (and warm socks).

And short sleeve tees.

If leggings are usual attire, wear leggings.

Having a laundry onboard is helpful.

I wore rain pants over my leggings. It poured on our excursion to the glacier, so my legs stayed warm and dry. Watch for sales on LL bean, Lands End, Sierra Trading Post. Watch for clearance stuff.

We're sailing late August to Alaska and I'm reading advice about packing some waterproof shoes, jackets, and pants. We live where's its sunny year round and hardly ever rains so we don't have much of the above. I have some clothing I've kept tucked away in the back of my closet that I think should suffice but not the kids. DS has jeans and sweat pants, and DD refuses to wear anything but leggings. I know late August is still summer so maybe not as cold, how much should I stress about buying waterproof shoes/pants? Especially for something they're unlikely to wear again before they've grown out of it. Right now is obviously not the season for that kind of gear, so any recommendations would be appreciated!
I recommend having the kids avoid jeans on rainy days because when those get really wet they're miserable: clingy, thick & take forever to dry. They're good for warmth, though, so if the forecast is good they're fine. I brought pants that weren't exactly waterproof, but were a synthetic material that would dry relatively quickly if they got wet. Same for socks. I wore my regular athletic shoes. I also brought an umbrella. It almost never rained on our early June cruise, though, even though the forecast before we left was promising rain almost every day of the trip. We got the exact opposite: even blue skies in Ketchikan of all places.

This thread is reminding me of why I prefer tropical cruises: it's so much easier to pack. We had an unforgettable cruise to Alaska, but it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience for us.

Last edited:
Probably an impossible questions to answer - we sail late august next year - how much rain would one expect? Daily showers or hours long downpours? This relates with how to pack

Impossible to predict, although August is the start of rainy season. I would be prepared for anything really. We had the true Alaskan experience with rain/showers on most days on our August cruise a few years back.

Our cruise was in August 2016. We all had packable rain shells and waterproof hiking shoes. Both came in handy. I know some people buy a waterproof spray and use that on their regular shoes...but I doubt that will help if you have sneakers with mesh. We had a few days of misty/light rain/rain vs downpours. Only saw the sun when we were in Canada (Vancouver, Yukon territory, Canadian waters...it was funny). If anyone is planning to wear leggings on the excursions, I'd just bring extra dry clothes to change into when you return to the ship, or plan to do extra laundry on board.

We cruised in late August 2019 and didn't see even a single drop of rain, but the crew told us that the week before was all but rained-out, so really you have to be prepared for anything. I like Vessi sneakers -- they're waterproof but just look like normal knit sneakers, so you can wear them at home even in dry weather. We brought rain jackets that doubled as a windproof layer on cool mornings/evenings on the ship, but didn't bring rainproof pants, but did wear ones that would have dried quickly.

We didn't do anything too extreme though for our excursions -- we might have been cold/wet on our whale watching trip if it had been rainy, though. I think leggings and/or quick dry pants are just fine for most excursions.

We're doing the 11 day Norway/Iceland/Scotland cruise in a couple weeks, so I'm trying to figure this out again right now, but with minimal luggage because of the current airline chaos. I'm bringing jeans and quick dry hiking pants, merino long sleeves, and a good rain jacket for everyone, and hoping for the best! My kids will probably just wear their Keens sandals in all weather, if I'm being realistic!

Two Alaska cruises, never took more than a windbreaker and a baseball hat. Just jeans and regular shoes same as I wear here in the winter when it is raining.

As we learned on our cruise to Norway: “Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlig klær!

I have been to Alaska in August and will be there again next month. I do not plan to take waterproof pants. I plan to wear leggings, and if necessary, pants over the leggings. No jeans - they are just horrific when they get wet. I bring quick dry stuff - synthetic fabrics. I did buy a new rain jacket (North Face, $30 on Poshmark, score!). I layer - I have a vest that I can wear by itself and then under the jacket if needed. I have waterproof boots if I need them on deck, but I don't plan on hiking this time (I did last time, I'm doing other things this time). Last time, we had everything from 50 and rain (Skagway) to sunny and 80 (Juneau). Hats and gloves for sure! I would buy my kids ponchos instead of waterproof pants, but they are not coming :rolleyes1

My daughters have light waterproof jackets (which also offer good wind protection, so it did them well on glacier day in the wind, with fleeces underneath). They brought their Merrell hiking sneakers (look more like sneakers than hiking boots) but only because we had. They get good use out of them wearing them to/from school on rainy days, esp walking to/from bus stop.

So just throwing this out there. It’s just not something everyone would be willing to do though. Go to the dollar store and buy some disposable raincoats. Just Clear thin plastic coverups. Better to have that, than have stuff just sit in your closet for years because you’ll never wear it back home again.
Remember waterproof let’s no rain in…also doesn’t breathe so it holds your heat and sweat especially if you are active and working up a sweat.
Water-repellent can get you wet just not as quickly as a standard coat.
A standard coat will get you in and out of buildings and transportation in a downpour. Maybe you only need to bring an umbrella if you just want to walk in town.

A child that doesn’t want to wear rain boots should wear a plastic bag over their socks under their old athletic shoes and bring another dry pair to wear later.

Adventurous seasoned nature loving outdoor walkers and climbers can disregard. You probably already have the stuff anyways.

I know some people buy a waterproof spray and use that on their regular shoes...but I doubt that will help if you have sneakers with mesh.
I actually really like this idea! And something I hadn't considered. We have UGGs which are fine in light rain or just cold. But I did worry they would soak through with enough moisture.

We're not planning much in the way of excursions. Hoping to see Nugget falls, the lumberjack show, and maybe just some town exploring.

I actually really like this idea! And something I hadn't considered. We have UGGs which are fine in light rain or just cold. But I did worry they would soak through with enough moisture.

We're not planning much in the way of excursions. Hoping to see Nugget falls, the lumberjack show, and maybe just some town exploring.
You could always book the excursions while on board (rather than in advance) and play it by ear depending on what the weather is doing. No sense paying all that money on excursions to be wet and miserable.
FWIW we did an AK DCL during that time and the weather was really nice the whole time. There was one day sailing tat it got a tad too cold to go in the pool. YMMV of course.

Target has these boots now. All rubber, light weight and $25
429BF6EB-4B80-4927-8831-A522DBE6FDAC.png

Last edited:
Reading what your planning on doing you will be fine with just the water proof spray. You can buy an umbrella if needed in port. As long as it’s just misting good shoes is all you need.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter