• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Water parks in January?

lynaaron

DVC Family
Hi, We're DVC members from California and up until now have only gone to WDW in the summer. We're heading to Florida for NYE through January 7 and trying to figure out what is the best pass for us to get. (As DVC members we do get a discount on an annual pass, but aren't sure if we'll be going again within the year, so trying to figure everything out.)

Should we worry about getting a premium pass/with options so we can visit the water parks or is it too cold or not the best use of daylight hours to go to a water park?

Any feedback or opinions welcome.

Thanks!

I read that the water is heated to 80 degrees year round...Since we're going to try TL in december I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about this as well

Average high is 72, low 50. You are not going to want to go to the water parks in this weather. It sounds okay, but the high only lasts for a short time because the sun goes down so early. I don't think i would recommend the water parks this time of the year.

I always go around Christmas time, and it has NEVER been warm enough to really want to go to the water parks, not like in the summer. You can usually swim in the PM for an hour or two, but it cools off FAST when the sun starts to go down. You will need to wear sweats in the evening, and bring your winter coat. We are from northern Michigan, and our down coats were just right in Florida at the fireworks. ;)

This will be our fourth winter trip and we have never used the water parks. Although we do always swim at the resort pools, I cannot imagine spending a whole day or even a half day at the water park. (too cold) I just don't think it would be that enjoyable.

We did the water parks on New Years Day 2002 and are going to do them again on our upcoming Christmas trip. Yes, it was cold in the air, but the water was beyond comfortable--it was like taking a bath. And the place was empty. So, IMHO, YES you can do the water parks and have fun. It was about 65 degrees the day we went and we were quite comfortable other than the pavement being cold on our feet occasionally.

its hit or miss, we have been quite a few times in January-sometimes it was hot enough to get a good sunburn, other times it was so cold we needed heavy sweatshirts

its not worth it in my opinion to plan on the water parks-its just too risky

also another problem is they always have at least 1 of the water parks closed in Jan(usually for the whole month) for refurbishment

We've only once been in Dec/Jan and at that time although the air temperature was ok, the water was frigid. I dipped my toe in POFQ pool and lost all feeling it was so cold. It definitely was not 80 then!

gilld said:
We've only once been in Dec/Jan and at that time although the air temperature was ok, the water was frigid. I dipped my toe in POFQ pool and lost all feeling it was so cold. It definitely was not 80 then!

I believe they only heat the water in the Water Parks TL & BB. ...and of course the hot tubs

Our last trip was Jan 1 - 10, 2005. It was in the 80's each day but one. We visited Blizzard Beach during our stay for one of the days. It was wonderful. Very warm, and lots of fun. But, now that the passes are different, you may want to wait and buy a day pass if the weather is warm enough. It may be cheaper that way. I love going in January as the lines are non-existant during the week days.

January is usully the coldest month in Florida. That said, I have found that while I'm freezing at 50s, some people (usually from the north colder states) walk in t-shirts and shorts in the parks like nothing. That said, I think it will depend on your tolerance to cold. I can imagine it could be comfortable to be inside the pool if it's heated, but how will you feel walking to the slides or on going on top of a float if the temps are in the 70's? I particularly don't find it enyoable, but as I said, someone with a different cold-tolerance may find it fun. In my case, I even try to avoid the water attractions in the regular parks unless the temps are over 75, but that's just me.

We live in Connecticut, and still had our pool open in October - so for us, any day over 70 is OK for swimming! I am one of the people out today in the 30 degree weather with a t-shirt. That said, we usually do at least one waterpark day on our annual trip (either December or January) - and for the pools its fine, BUT, as someone else mentioned, it get cold fast (especially when you are all wet) so, Definately bring a warm change of clothes and if possible Drive yourself bc you never know how cold it will be on the bus. We found that using the bus after a cooler day at TL trying to get back to the resort was the worst bc of how cold the bus was.

HTH
Paula in CT

pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter