Water Parks and swimming in December-possible?

thelionqueen

DIS Veteran
This will be our first ever December Christmas WDW trip :cool1: Unbelievable in all the years we've been going, this will be our first holiday excursion. Last year we went at end of Oct-early November and it was chilly. We did hear that it was the coldest days on record for the time we went, hence this question.

Is it feasible to plan on swimming or going to the water parks Dec 13-24th? When we went in Nov the average high temp was about 65 and not condusive to water rides, parks, etc.

On a related note, should I pack mostly shorts for this trip or mostly pants. Keep in mind that since we live in Colorado, we wear shorts/capris, etc. any temp above 55 degrees ;)

Thanks!

December and January can be very changeable in Florida. We have been there when it's been 90 during that time, and also when it's gotten down below freezing in the mornings. Just plan on bringing some layers along and go with the flow. We have done swimming then, but we're from the frozen north.:lmao: The pools are usually empty, but the hot tubs are busy.

I would say it is usually mid 60's-mid 70's for highs and mid 40's to mid 50's for lows.

I can't speak to weather in December, however, can't be TOO much different than January. We are from Minnesota so my kids didn't care how cold it was. We had highs in the mid 60's and lows in the 30's all week. They swam every day but one and we did Blizzard Beach ( it was empty) on our last day which was around 68 degrees.

We live in Utah so we are used to snowy winters. My kids wouldn't hesitate to swim in December. :thumbsup2

We are also from Utah, and my kids swam in Feb. at night when it was 38 degrees outside! They keep the pools at the hotels heated, so it's not too bad! :goodvibes Just bring something warm to put on when you get out of the pool!

It's a crap shoot as the weather always is. I was there in January and we were in the parks the first few days with our winter coats. By the last day it was about 78 and we were in the pool. I've been on vacations with record cold and record heat so there is no way you can plan this far in advance.

For winter trips to FL I always check the weather starting a week out or so to decide what to bring along.

In Dec 2007 we were wearing our winter jacket shells, fleece, jeans, scarves, gloves and hats. In Dec 2008 we were in shorts or light layers.

We are also from Utah, and my kids swam in Feb. at night when it was 38 degrees outside! They keep the pools at the hotels heated, so it's not too bad! :goodvibes Just bring something warm to put on when you get out of the pool!

What part of Utah?

As kat4disney said, your best bet is to check the long range forecast for the Orlando area a few days before you leave. It will give you a general idea of the temperature trends and whether temps are expected to be above or below normal. We've always found the long range forecasts to be pretty accurate in letting us know whether to go heavy on the fleeces or the tee shirts (you always need at least a little of each, just in case). We've been to WDW several times in December and have always been lucky enough to have warm weather nearly all the time. But, as noted, others haven't been so lucky. Unless you hit a really prolonged cold spell, there will almost always be at least a few days in the average week's vacation that will be plenty warm enough for comfortable swimming and water park adventures.

My family stayed at the beach club January 4-11, 2008. We swam every day. The week started in the mid 80's but by the end it was maybe high of 70. The pools were very nicely heated, and we would have swum even if it was a lot cooler. We were just lucky on the weather. We have also been there in January and worn jeans and light jackets all week!

Thanks for all the replies! The consensus is exactly what I was thinking which is, I can't plan on the weather :lmao:

In November, we had to buy sweat pants and hoodies to get through the week, and wore them pretty much 24/7. Let's hope for a nice mix of both!

Sounds like you have a good plan (can't! :thumbsup2) but I'll add my 2 cents of a December experience.

We stayed Dec. 24 '07 through Jan. 5 '08 and had the gammut. It was in the mid-80s the first half of the trip and we went to BB and it was packed but manageable. A few days later, it was starting to cool down and when we went back to BB, it was only about 70, which was a little chilly to be wet and waiting at the top of Summit Plummet, but the crowds were small. A day or so later, it was 31F with a wind chill of 19F in the morning and we had to purchase much Mouse clothes to get through the rest of the trip (I think it's planned that way;)). From what I understand, that's typical to be not predictable and very changeable!

Have fun - I'm jealous you'll be there during all the holiday hoopla - it's fun!:banana:

We were there the first and second weeks of Dec. last year. During the day, the weather ranged from the mid/high 60s to almost 80, but it only got that warm a few days. I thought the nights were cold and we are from NH. We packed jackets, hats and mittens and used them more than once. You will really need to pack a wide variety of clothes and plan on dressing in layers.
We never went to the water parks, but we were able to hang out at BCV's SAB one day. I wish we had more days that were like that one.
The decorations in Dec. are unbelievable. Going in Dec. is really a magical experience. Have a great time!

We had some crazy cold weather this past winter.
I hoping for a warmer one this year.
I lost a bunch of plants that really don't like freezing.

We've been Nov. Dec. Jan. & Feb. and as others said the weather runs the gamut. On most trips we have been able to swim in the resort pools at least a few days. Now there are not many of us in the pools and the life guards are usually wearing their winter jackets and pants, but to anyone coming from cold weather it feels delightful!!!! Now we have never done the water parks in the cold months except for Thanksgiving '08 - it was very warm and we had a blast!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter