water park questions...too much maybe too little

cinnaminny

DIS Veteran
We have never been to WDW so I am not sure how much I can realistically do. But I would like to do a lot. We have nine days in the parks. (yay) So that means if we want to visit some water parks we have to try to work those in.

-On one of those days we thought we would go to Blizzard Beach when it opened until 2-3pm and then after showers and a possible nap we would head over to Epcot.

-On a different day we thought we would go to Animal Kingdom in the AM (extra magic morning hours day) until maybe noon and then go to Blizzard Beach again (possibly Typhoon Lagoon)

None of our other days are crammed like this. Trying to cram in two parks in one day...Is that too much?

Also while were chatting about it, we feel that just from the description that Blizzard Beach looks more our speed. Should we take one of our Blizzard Beach trips and change it to Typhoon Lagoon? Are we going to be sad :( if we miss out on that one?

My favorite water park is Typhoon Lagoon, so I’m partial to it. I love the water coasters and storm slides at TL. And I’m a 55 yo woman.

We like to start a couple of days at a water park— open that park and stay for a few hours. Then we move onto a theme park. But we go twice a year and have been doing that for years.

We didn’t do that the first few years we went. I’d suggest you not wear yourself out. You’ll have tons of fun at a water park. But don’t push yourself and your family to exhaustion.

Another vote to at least try Typhoon Lagoon. I think after one day at BB, you'll be ready for something different.

Do you have some down time elsewhere in your nine-day plan? As long as you're not going from dawn to midnight every day, I think your plan to fit in the water parks looks pretty good.

Another vote for Typhoon Lagoon! It's my favorite water park anywhere. The wave pool just cannot be beat.

I think squeezing a water park and a regular park in together for a day isn't too much at all. We generally prefer a water park in the morning and a theme park at night when it isn't so hot

If you’re going to do two water park days, definitely try TL. Frankly it’s worth going to TL JUST for the wave pool alone.

Have fun!

Blizzard Beach is my fave, also DS and DH. DD likes TL best. If you donteo days, definitely try both.

As another poster said, not sure if you're going for 9 days with a park every day? We'd need a day with no parks in there somewhere, about day five. I personally also like to use a water park day as a sleep late(ish) day after a late night and/or a get to bed early night (waterpark, dinner, showers, bed) before an early day.

Another vote to at least try Typhoon Lagoon. I think after one day at BB, you'll be ready for something different.

Do you have some down time elsewhere in your nine-day plan? As long as you're not going from dawn to midnight every day, I think your plan to fit in the water parks looks pretty good.
We were going to go 8 days but 9 was only like 30 bucks more, so we changed our plans. So we're going to go everyday but take time for breaks in the afternoons like we do at Disneyland. It gets so hot there, I prefer to go in the mornings and then again in the later afternoon.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions about Typhoon Lagoon! I think if we go twice, we have to try it! Hopefully the weather will allow for twice!

What time of the year are you going? If you're planning over the winter months, one might be closed for the annual refurbishment. Once one is done, they close the other.

We were going to go 8 days but 9 was only like 30 bucks more, so we changed our plans. So we're going to go everyday but take time for breaks in the afternoons like we do at Disneyland. It gets so hot there, I prefer to go in the mornings and then again in the later afternoon.

Now you have me a little concerned. Where are you from that you think Disneyland is hot? Florida is MUCH hotter than CA all year long, but especially through the months of June to October. March - May are no picnic either. You'll definitely need those afternoon breaks to get out of the heat.

We did a nine day trip this past August. We planned two resort days and said if its nice weather we'd go to Typhoon Lagoon. So the first resort day was perfect. We went to Typhoon Lagoon when it opened and stayed until 2:30pm. We went back to the hotel (BCV) and washed up, relaxed a little and then had a date night. Put kids in the sandcastle club and had a relaxed walk around Epcot WS.

It really depends on what you want to do. TL is much more enjoyable than BB. We went to BB for the first time this last trip. We won't be doing that ever again. TL was a blast because we got DD surf lessons the morning we went. The slides and everything were a blast too. We were done by noon. BB we were done by 11AM and thought that may have been 30 minutes longer than we needed.

What time of the year are you going? If you're planning over the winter months, one might be closed for the annual refurbishment. Once one is done, they close the other.
It will be summer weather. But we wanted to plan for two just in case we get rained out of one.

It will be summer weather. But we wanted to plan for two just in case we get rained out of one.

The water parks will stay open in the rain. It's when there is lightning that they have to close things down. It's amazing how many people will leave when it starts raining. If there is no lightning, you can literally walk on rides and slides with no wait. It always puzzles us that folks don't want to get wet at a water park.

Now you have me a little concerned. Where are you from that you think Disneyland is hot? Florida is MUCH hotter than CA all year long, but especially through the months of June to October. March - May are no picnic either. You'll definitely need those afternoon breaks to get out of the heat.

We were concerned too. Which is why we opted for more days so we can slow it down a bit. We've been to Disneyland a number of times where we were stuck in lines in sunny 95 degree heat. The heat from direct sun is more of our issue than actual temperatures, if that makes any sense. We travel to hotter climates regularly, and usually duck out in the sunniest parts of the day for a bit. So I probably worded my original comment wrong.

The water parks will stay open in the rain. It's when there is lightning that they have to close things down. It's amazing how many people will leave when it starts raining. If there is no lightning, you can literally walk on rides and slides with no wait. It always puzzles us that folks don't want to get wet at a water park.

Exactly. I was asking my cousin, who lives in Florida about the weather in her experience and she talked about the rain like it was a bummer. I am an Oregonian...we look forward to rain! I actually hope its cloudy and rainy.

I LOVE TL, primarily for the tropical feel.

One thing to please keep in mind, is that to get to the water parks one must take a bus to Disney Springs for TL; and to AK for Blizzard Beach, and then transfer accordingly.

I love the water parks and highly recommend them, however find needing two buses incredibly off-putting.

We did the water parks two days during a 10 day trip last November. Only problem for us was that there was only one open. We did exactly what you said and went to the water park for 4 hours or so then went back to the room rest and shower and hit a park that night. With the cost of adding the water parks so small now I would recommend everyone going for a couple hours even just to do the lazy river and wave pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter