Watch Your Wallet…Chapek is Coming For it with His Surgical Knife

I mean, people are paying it, so I get it. Demand is up. I do wish though that with thise increased profits that they would put MORE back into the parks. It's one thing to sell a premium product at a premium price, but you've gotta make sure the product delivers. For the most part it does, but for these prices it needs to be perfect. Get the new rides (TRON) online, get all shows back (Fantasmic!), add more to help deal with the increased crowds and demand. That's all I really ask. Deliver that and I'll pay for it.

What did he want them to afford? Week long annual trips? Eating in restaurants for a week and staying on property? What was the expectation of experience? The Contemporary and Polynesian were I thought rather exclusive price wise then and still are. The concept of a Disney Vacation I think has evolved. Growing up we would visit WDW and park in the lot, but I never got a full vacation stay. Our first stay on property was after the All-Stars were built and for 1 or 2 nights.
Growing up we did not visit Disney World (or Disneyland) and I didn't know any one who did. There is no way my family could have traveled that far. In my mind, unless you lived nearby, Disney has always been a luxury vacation. No children will be harmed by not going.

Cedar Point was close by, so that is where we went.

He wanted the company to maintain a price that the majority of the middle class could afford.
Actually that's what we want him to have wanted. But if we observe what Disney did, the record is mixed in that regard. Walt never had plans for, nor built any Values or Moderates at WDW. And he notoriously didn't like the affordable hotels that sprang up across the street from Disneyland, many of which are still there and not nearly as bad as Disney made them out to be. On the other hand, he did go ballistic about an increase in parking rates to 50 cents. But he never cancelled the increase. And we have to remember that Disney theme park under Walt (There was only Disneyland) wasn't a 7 day destination. Even WDW, wasn't a 7 day until they had 4 theme parks. Yes Walt wanted people to be able to afford to come and have a good time. But he wasn't so keen at catering to the masses as we'd like to make him out to be.

Growing up we did not visit Disney World (or Disneyland) and I didn't know any one who did. There is no way my family could have traveled that far. In my mind, unless you lived nearby, Disney has always been a luxury vacation. No children will be harmed by not going.

Cedar Point was close by, so that is where we went.
In the 90’s and early 2000’s in the North it was seen as really affordable since inflation was low and wages were good. You got more for your buck.

Actually that's what we want him to have wanted. But if we observe what Disney did, the record is mixed in that regard. Walt never had plans for, nor built any Values or Moderates at WDW. And he notoriously didn't like the affordable hotels that sprang up across the street from Disneyland, many of which are still there and not nearly as bad as Disney made them out to be. On the other hand, he did go ballistic about an increase in parking rates to 50 cents. But he never cancelled the increase. And we have to remember that Disney theme park under Walt (There was only Disneyland) wasn't a 7 day destination. Even WDW, wasn't a 7 day until they had 4 theme parks. Yes Walt wanted people to be able to afford to come and have a good time. But he wasn't so keen at catering to the masses as we'd like to make him out to be.
He would kick out half of the corporation with some of the things they are doing today.

I mean, people are paying it, so I get it. Demand is up. I do wish though that with thise increased profits that they would put MORE back into the parks. It's one thing to sell a premium product at a premium price, but you've gotta make sure the product delivers. For the most part it does, but for these prices it needs to be perfect. Get the new rides (TRON) online, get all shows back (Fantasmic!), add more to help deal with the increased crowds and demand. That's all I really ask. Deliver that and I'll pay for it.
This exactly!!! It's the little things for me too. I read on a Disney FB group that they are no longer giving free filtered water. It's tap water now (we all know how Florida tap water tastes). It doesn't seem like a big deal, but it was nice to know you could walk up to any place that serves food and get a cold filtered ice water. Also, bring back the ability to send park purchases back to your hotel. I'll pay to play, but I want the little perks that used to come with a Disney vacation.

What is the 15% tax? Is that an increase of the current 12.5%? is that only on rooms?
It's a flat tax on Corporations. Supposedly making it more difficult to evade their tax responsibility by burying profits in things like executive bonuses ...

Yes Virginia.... there was a day when the "average" American couldn't afford to visit WDW every year(or multiple times per year for that matter)

We have a trip in 6 weeks and a Disney cruise in March. Then Aulani in 2024. Not sure when we will be back to the parks. He's really killed it for us :( The March trip was Disney World originally too, and we literally weren't excited so we changed it to the cruise, which we are super excited about. The kids are begging to go to Universal right now anyway as the Harry Potter phase is sweeping our home currently.

(Although I have to come once Epcot is finished 😎)

This is how I feel. If the product is world class and worth the price, then I'll pay for it. That's why I don't mind that for example, OLC announced that Tokyo Disney is raising ticket prices. Because I know that product is worth the price. But with how WDW is operating currently, I'm not sure if I would pay those ticket prices if I didn't have an AP (I have a Sorcerer's pass).

Corporate execs being greedy is nothing new, but the reasoning of demand over inflation is interesting. I'd argue that the demand was already there. Meanwhile the average guest is still facing inflation, which means pricier Disney trips become less of a demand for some folks.

I'm not sure what the average lifestyle of a high-paid Disney exec is, but I imagine inflation must be hitting them in some form. And if they have the power, they can just say "Arizona Ice Tea is no longer 99 cents, so let's give ourselves a raise."

Reactions: GAN
He would kick out half of the corporation with some of the things they are doing today.
Maybe. But most of those things he would fire someone for today would be over creativity differences or differences over what constituted top notch service rather than affordability.

He can come at me all he wants. He won't be getting a dime, I've pretty much divorced myself from Disney - no future trips planned and not renewing Disney+ due to the price hike and/or ads.

As a consumer I have the choice where to spend my money. Disney has shown me they no longer care (or pretend to care) about their guests and cast members. They used to be the best at what they did, great hotels, great service and decent value - IMHO that's gone. The Disney "Magic" has been replaced by a "It's all about the Money" attitude. Disney used to be a great story teller, they've lost their way and it shows.

I have no problem affording WDW even if they continue to raise the prices. But with that said, I am done with the parks and have been for some time. I have to feel that it is worth it for me to pay a premium to experience what is being offered. Don't blow smoke up my back end and call it pixie dust and magic like Chapek and Disney have been doing lately. With all the changes to the park experience and the cutbacks, I don't see myself going again. As I said, I don't mind paying if I feel It's worth my expense. At this time I still enjoy DCL, but I'm beginning to see the Chapek, Disney-led influence on DCL as well, Palo is just an example IMO. I was going to do a DCL trip in March but decided to go with Regent Seven Seas instead. A premium indeed, but from what I have read, well worth it.

Synergy machine goes both ways making the current strategy more risky. People return to WDW because it is comfortable. The more they get turned off, the more worth their while it is looking elsewhere and investing the time/energy to find new things and places. When they start skipping trips or stop going, the spending will also go down on merch and subscriptions, etc. Why buy a $70 spirit jersey when a trip is not on the horizon?

He can come at me all he wants. He won't be getting a dime, I've pretty much divorced myself from Disney - no future trips planned and not renewing Disney+ due to the price hike and/or ads.

As a consumer I have the choice where to spend my money. Disney has shown me they no longer care (or pretend to care) about their guests and cast members. They used to be the best at what they did, great hotels, great service and decent value - IMHO that's gone. The Disney "Magic" has been replaced by a "It's all about the Money" attitude. Disney used to be a great story teller, they've lost their way and it shows.

Yup 100% this exactly. Of course they need to make money. Previous Disney execs were able to do that AND make you feel like family(even if you weren't). Chapek just doesn't give a fat you know what about us and I personally cant stand the direction he is taking things. We now know Iger hated him too but the almightily $$$ is all the board wants to see.

This is how I feel. If the product is world class and worth the price, then I'll pay for it. That's why I don't mind that for example, OLC announced that Tokyo Disney is raising ticket prices. Because I know that product is worth the price. But with how WDW is operating currently, I'm not sure if I would pay those ticket prices if I didn't have an AP (I have a Sorcerer's pass).

Tokyo Disney tickets were actually already less expensive anyway. It s absolutley AMAZING what they do over there - charge less and provide more! The only barrier for fans that don't live in Japan is getting there, but honestly, with the way costs are going up here, you might be able to factor in that overseas plane ticket and come out pretty close. And for anyone who has even thought about going over to the Tokyo parks - DO IT! It will be well worth it.

Yeah. There still are creative and compassionate forces at Disney (in various avenues), but like many successful enterprises, there's going to be corporate stooges that want to take advantage of a good thing for themselves. Most would argue that corporations are meant to generate profits, but there's a dramatic stake involved when your work ethic is at the disadvantage to the customer and/or it's own employees.

I'm curious is Disney execs feel that if demand was such a strong consideration, could they provide less and less quality with the notion that they're always going to have consumers buying it all regardless.

Disney also wants to bid for the 2030 WC tv rights that Fox is currently favorites to get it. Will Disney raise the prices even more in 2025 to justify the spending to stockholders?

I have no problem affording WDW even if they continue to raise the prices. But with that said, I am done with the parks and have been for some time. I have to feel that it is worth it for me to pay a premium to experience what is being offered. Don't blow smoke up my back end and call it pixie dust and magic like Chapek and Disney have been doing lately. With all the changes to the park experience and the cutbacks, I don't see myself going again. As I said, I don't mind paying if I feel It's worth my expense. At this time I still enjoy DCL, but I'm beginning to see the Chapek, Disney-led influence on DCL as well, Palo is just an example IMO. I was going to do a DCL trip in March but decided to go with Regent Seven Seas instead. A premium indeed, but from what I have read, well worth it.
That's where I am, too. I can totally still afford to go, but I don't really want to anymore because of all of the negative changes. Haven't been since May 2021 and have no Disney trips on the horizon, which hasn't happened to me since the 90s (I've been to WDW at least once a year since 1998).
We did Andalucía last fall, France this past spring, plan on Belgium this fall, and back to Andalucía next spring. I think Spain is replacing my yearly Disney trips, it's so lovely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter