watch out for this scam

^^ That's most likely bogus. No companies use voice recognition for bill payment or funds transfer. Have you ever been asked to record your voice by your bank/credit card company???? If not, they obviously have nothing to compare it to.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/can-you-hear-me-scam/

I think a lot people on the internet post nonsense scams as a game to see how many people send it to others.

My telephone company requires a voice confirmation when you pay your bill through the automated payment system over the phone. You have to say your full name and the word Yes. It has been this way for at least ten years, ever since I took over the bill paying. However, to get to that point, you have to initiate the call by calling the number on your snail mail bill and go through the entire payment process first. The payment system would never call a customer. That’s where the difference lies. If someone calls you and wants to verify anything or asks questions that seem off, just hang up. Or better, use your answering machine to screen the calls, since they don’t usually bother to leave a message. But to say no one wants voice verification isn’t necessarily true in all cases.

I think the phone company uses it as an extra layer of approval to prevent payment disputes. They’ve got you in your own voice saying take my money (more or less).

We've gotten to the point that if we don't recognize the number AND name on caller ID (number can be spoofed), we don't answer. They can always leave a message if its important.

Normally I am the same, but with my dad passing away a few weeks ago, I have been having to answer unknown numbers from a specific area code (where he was living). I don't want to miss a call from the sheriff, the medical examiner, the funeral home, a friend of his, the lawyer, or anyone else connected to the situation and then struggle to catch them when they are available again.

But to say no one wants voice verification isn’t necessarily true in all cases.

I agree, but as you mentioned, it is more then just the word "YES" and you are the one to initiate the call. I think most who fall for these scams are gullible people who are easily duped. Much like Microsoft NEVER calls you on the phone...............ANY call of that nature is a scam and has been widely reported for quite sometime now (just like the IRS).

If someone calls you and wants to verify anything or asks questions that seem off, just hang up.

Good advice for many things. If you have a question about something not being legit, say in the case of a credit card company.....ALL have 800# on the back so you can call THEM. When someone calls YOU and asked questions that seem like they are fishing, you should be wary.

You know what’s worse than scam calls? The stupid loan people calling me about my loser of a brother whom I haven’t talked to in years. They call CONSTANTLY every hour. I’ve even gotten them early morning and late at night until you finally answer. I told the last people that I didn’t know them and to quit calling me. I haven’t heard from them in a week or so but I know it’ll start again. It always does randomly. Ugh. :furious:

You know what’s worse than scam calls? The stupid loan people calling me about my loser of a brother whom I haven’t talked to in years. They call CONSTANTLY every hour. I’ve even gotten them early morning and late at night until you finally answer. I told the last people that I didn’t know them and to quit calling me. I haven’t heard from them in a week or so but I know it’ll start again. It always does randomly. Ugh. :furious:

I got tired of the collection calls for my SIL, so I gave them her cell phone number and her new work location, and told them to stop calling me. No more calls.

I don't necessarily have direct experience with that. However, I remember going to my mom's tax preparer. She thought maybe he could help me get a better refund, even though I had a pretty simple return. But during that visit he got a call from someone trying to track down his adult daughter, who apparently had a ton of unpaid debts. I kind of felt sorry for him since he wasn't responsible.

I got tired of the collection calls for my SIL, so I gave them her cell phone number and her new work location, and told them to stop calling me. No more calls.

I always say I don’t know him and ask for them to stop calling. They do for a while but than start back up again. For the past ten years or so since he dropped out. I’ll try giving up the information next time and ask them not to call again see if that works. Thanks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter