Was asked at Studios if my son has autism

A&M's Mommy

Mouseketeer
We arrived at Disney today and went to Hollywood Studios after check in. We went to guest services right inside the park entrance to ask for a DAS for my son who is on the spectrum. I started to explain his needs, as I have read that is the best way to let the CM know what accommodations he needs. I got as far as "he gets anxious and agitated if he is waiting in a long line with crowds around him" when the CM interrupted me and asked "Oh, so he has autism?" I was shocked and sputtered, yes a form of it and off he went to get an iPad to take his picture. Is this common? I was so taken aback by his question, I didn't know what to say.

No, the CM should not have asked that.

Not to excuse the behavior, but there are a lot of "new" GS CMs right now.

Hopefully one of the others there heard it and will address it with him...

If you feel it is worth your time, you can either revisit guest services and ask for a lead or send an email about it.

That is definitely not the norm. Perhaps the CM has a family member on the spectrum and just opened their mouth without thinking??? I don't know....

I wouldn't find it offensive, but the CMs should not be asking about actual medical conditions.

I don't understand why this was offensive or a problem. Am I missing something? You got your DAS without having to give a long explanation.

Yeah I don't why this is such a big deal to some people, like what if the person had given a description of someone being Deaf and the CM said Oh there deaf? would that be an issue? Or if they said oh there blind after being told they have vision problems?

I don't see it as a big deal to be honest but the CMs usually don't do it so I would have been surprised.

I wouldn't find it offensive, but the CMs should not be asking about actual medical conditions.
Agree.
Asking for the diagnosis gets into issues with the ADA. They are allowed to ask what needs a person has, but are not supposed to ask what the diagnosis is.

Also agree but sounds like they were trying to be helpful.
I would agree that the CM was probably trying to be helpful - kind of cut to the chase and save some time, but they still are not supposed to ask.

My son is on the spectrum as well, he is diagnosed with a ton of things but officially his diagnosis states PDD NOS, it means he's on the autism spectrum but high functioning and not sure where to categorize him. When describing it to others I'm often asked if he's autistic...well he's in the autism spectrum so I guess he is to a certain degree but I don't even know what degree that is. I don't get offended by that question because autistic children have such a broad range of disabilities, even at Disney World I don't think it would bother me but it might strike a nerve with my son. We've never called him autistic to his knowledge, even though he's 11 he doesn't understand, so it could possibly cause an issue with questions arising from him. He probably shouldn't have asked if you child was standing right there but if not I don't think he was being offensive. Often times I've opened my mouth before I completely thought it through! I hope he enjoyed his day just the same!!

In this case I'm sure the CM had good intentions, but we all know what the road to heck was paved with, which is why the ADA is worded the way it is.

So, it doesn't matter if no harm is done in one particular case - that doesn't mean everybody doesn't have to learn to follow the rules. All those other cases matter, too.

My son is on the spectrum as well, he is diagnosed with a ton of things but officially his diagnosis states PDD NOS, it means he's on the autism spectrum but high functioning and not sure where to categorize him. When describing it to others I'm often asked if he's autistic...well he's in the autism spectrum so I guess he is to a certain degree but I don't even know what degree that is. I don't get offended by that question because autistic children have such a broad range of disabilities, even at Disney World I don't think it would bother me but it might strike a nerve with my son. We've never called him autistic to his knowledge, even though he's 11 he doesn't understand, so it could possibly cause an issue with questions arising from him. He probably shouldn't have asked if you child was standing right there but if not I don't think he was being offensive. Often times I've opened my mouth before I completely thought it through! I hope he enjoyed his day just the same!!

At my sons school-a red dot next to their name signifies special needs.
Supposed to be discreet!?
My ds is not impressed by this at all.:confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter