Was 25% off really 15% off in reality?

The email clearly states that for those on the 10/25 Dream cruise, the 25% discount applies to a 3 night cruise ONLY.

Not only that, but a large percentage of those onboard were/are Florida residents, which DCL knows full well since FLR rates were used to fill a cruise that was half-empty just a month before, and this discount cannot be combined with a FLR rate.

This means that the discount is completely useless to all those Florida residents, since they will have to give up the 25% "goodwill discount" in order to apply their FLR rates.

Darn, are your Florida rates that good? Better than 25% hurricane discount, plus the 10% discount from rebooking while on the ship and the OBC?

disney1990 said:
Darn, are your Florida rates that good? Better than 25% hurricane discount, plus the 10% discount from rebooking while on the ship and the OBC?

Sometimes, yes.

Example: Aug 2010 booked 2A 1C in Cat 7A on 5-night double dip on the Wonder. $4900.

FLR rates released & applied to our reservation. No penalties. Same room. $2400. My Disney Visa was credited $2600.

Second example. Feb 2012 booked 2A 1C in Cat 8A on the Dream 3-night. $1600 after on board booking 10% applied & OBB.

FLR rates released. Upgraded to Cat 5A $1200 & credited $400 to our Disney Visa. The FLR rate was MUCH better deal than the OBB.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

disney1990 said:

They certainly can be. We cruised the 10/28 Dream for less than $1500 for 2 adults and 2 kids in 2 connecting 4B (pixie dusted from 2 4D) cabins. I doubt we'll ever beat that combo of category/connecting rooms and price. But I will sure try.

So yeah, the 25% off isn't so awesome for the Florida residents who can travel during off-peak times (which was when the affected cruise was). On the other hand, it would be a perk during peak times for those who might not otherwise travel then. But as the pp said, so very many of the cruisers on that specific cruise were residents specifically filling an off-season cruise. I imagine they might argue that being able to apply the discount to the FLR rate would be more of an appropriate compensation. But that's never gonna' happen! :(

Did I read ever post? No.
So has anyone confirmed an OBB can be combined with the 25% discount on these sailings effected by "delays"? TIA

Bear3412 said:
So has anyone confirmed an OBB can be combined with the 25% discount on these sailings effected by "delays"? TIA

Here is the answer from a PP...

mgroshans said:
Just spoke with DCL: it is in addition to the 10% rebooking offer. So, we will be getting a total of 35% off our cruise we booked while on board.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Yes, We rebooked while on the Oct 20-27 cruise. We got the 10% discount and the OBC. When we got off the ship, I called Disney and confirmed that we then got the 25% discount on top of that.

I guess that's where my issue is; I don't feel DCL held up their end. We did not have access to 50% or more of what we paid for... ports, pools, decks, etc... and this was due to bad navigational decisions... not a surprise storm that just happened.

An official decision was made to sail us into a storm, causing us to miss out.

I don't feel that is holding up their end and that is what we will be addressing with DCL directly.

Thank you for your empathy - it is appreciated. :flower3:

I don't quite get why you keep saying the Dream sailed in to the storm. I live on the east coast of Florida about an hour south of PC. By sat morning, the actual "storm" was north of PC. The Fantasy did end up right in the storm. While there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that you guys did indeed experiance very rough seas, the ship(Dream, that is) was never sailed in the storm. The entire east coast of Fl had extremely high seas from 10/24(we were on the Dream that disembarked 10/25) through just yesterday when they finally calmed a little. The winds here were pretty strong through Monday. Yes, the seas were defintely higher on your cruise. Not to mention, there was full moon as well as cool air moving through Florida that weekend. None of which make for very bright skies or calm seas. That really stinks, I feel for you. It truly sucks that bad weather can ruin people's vacations. But I think it's pretty unfair to act as though they sailed you directly in the storm.

Yes, We rebooked while on the Oct 20-27 cruise. We got the 10% discount and the OBC. When we got off the ship, I called Disney and confirmed that we then got the 25% discount on top of that.

Wow. We rarely, if ever repeat vacations, but 35%, humm ... tempting.
Thanks all for the reply's. Add that to Costco 10 % and wowy.:)
I guess it might be DCL again. We did miss CC after all. Definitely a reason alone to book again. These discounts are difficult to pass up.:)

We were on the Fantasy sailing.

It's not actually 35%, but close. It's 10% for the onboard booking and then the 25% is taken on that reduced amount. Works out to be about 32.5% still good in my book. We just booked an Alaska cruise with these discounts so I can confirm that the discounts stack :)

We were on the Fantasy sailing.

It's not actually 35%, but close. It's 10% for the onboard booking and then the 25% is taken on that reduced amount. Works out to be about 32.5% still good in my book. We just booked an Alaska cruise with these discounts so I can confirm that the discounts stack :)

:thumbsup2

I was on the Fantasy sailing with rabidmarmot. Pleasantly surprised that the discounts stacked, was just assuming that it would be equivalent to the additional 15% off.

One thing we have NOT clarified is if this discount is supposed to be available once per person or once per stateroom with future sailings/ WDW bookings. Can we book one vacation or two? I'll be checking with Castaway Club in the morning.

Wendy&Grumpy said:
This means that the discount is completely useless to all those Florida residents, since they will have to give up the 25% "goodwill discount" in order to apply their FLR rates.

I've been on 6 cruises. I've only received the FLR rate on 2 of those 6 and it was applied to my cruise that was already booked.

I don't think it's completely useless to all if the FL residents. Perhaps someone wants to cruise on a 3-night when FLR rates aren't even offered?? I know as a FL resident I'd find a way to use it, even though I'm completely uninterested in sailing on another 3-night......

Just curious, do you only sail with FLR rates?

I've been on 6 cruises. I've only received the FLR rate on 2 of those 6 and it was applied to my cruise that was already booked.

I don't think it's completely useless to all if the FL residents. Perhaps someone wants to cruise on a 3-night when FLR rates aren't even offered?? I know as a FL resident I'd find a way to use it, even though I'm completely uninterested in sailing on another 3-night......

To Wendy&grumpy; Not useless to Fl residents at all. Not every cruise has a FLR. Furthermore, how bout Alaska or the med? You won't find FLR discounts on those.

To Wendy&grumpy; Not useless to Fl residents at all. Not every cruise has a FLR. Furthermore, how bout Alaska or the med? You won't find FLR discounts on those.

For the passengers on the 10/25 Dream cruise, the offer is *only* valid towards a 3 night Dream cruise. My kids would like to try again, but with a 4, 5, or 7 night, not another 3 night. Since the 25% is not valid on any of those, we'll be looking for one with FLR rates - if we decide to give DCL another chance at all.

Now that we are aware of them and know how to use them, yes. I don't feel it's necessary to pay more (for flights or other itineraries) when there are three ships sailing from Florida. We are more interested in cruising itself than we are in ports.

I imagine they might argue that being able to apply the discount to the FLR rate would be more of an appropriate compensation. But that's never gonna' happen! :(

Actually, in an email response I received from Rebekah Young, Executive Guest Correspondent of DCL, she stated that the 25% off can indeed be combined with the FLR rates and apologized that I had initially been given incorrect information.

I guess we'll find out for sure if/when we try to use it.

Wendy&Grumpy said:
Actually, in an email response I received from Rebekah Young, Executive Guest Correspondent of DCL, she stated that the 25% off can indeed be combined with the FLR rates and apologized that I had initially been given incorrect information.

I guess we'll find out for sure if/when we try to use it.

Wow! That's fantastic! I hope you are able to take advantage of that great combo.

We were on the 10/25 Dream, I wasn't thrilled with everything that happened in terms of trying to sail back to Nassau, but I was happy with the future discount. I also stacked it with an OBB discount for 35 percent off. My parents have decided to take my sister and I and our families in January as a Christmas present for the Grandkids. My parents sure were excited about my 35 percent off too. Also, I just want to say that when I called into DCL, the rep was AWESOME. It is one of the reasons why I love DCL.

I was on the Fantasy sailing with rabidmarmot. Pleasantly surprised that the discounts stacked, was just assuming that it would be equivalent to the additional 15% off.

One thing we have NOT clarified is if this discount is supposed to be available once per person or once per stateroom with future sailings/ WDW bookings. Can we book one vacation or two? I'll be checking with Castaway Club in the morning.

I know that my DH and I booked with the 25% discount AND our adult DD (which traveled with us on Oct 20-27) also received the 25% discount on her future cruise.

Disney1990 - did your dd stay in the same cabin? Was it all under one reservation number?

I know that my DH and I booked with the 25% discount AND our adult DD (which traveled with us on Oct 20-27) also received the 25% discount on her future cruise.

I'm guessing that the discount can be used once per passenger, meaning if you had booked your DD with you & DH, she would not have been able to use it to book again, separately.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter