Was 25% off really 15% off in reality?

Remember folks--DISNEY made the decision to extend the 25% discount on a future cruise or stay at Disney World. If I was on the ship I would love to take advantage of it. I myself am not jealous of the people that can. Disney did it because they can.

That is why I buy trip insurance. The insurance company has staff that make the new arrangements, including hotel if they can't get us out that day.

We do too. But that does not guarantee open seats on a last minute flight and there is always someone who needs to get home ASAP. I don't worry about getting home a day late but many people do.

Remember folks--DISNEY made the decision to extend the 25% discount on a future cruise or stay at Disney World. If I was on the ship I would love to take advantage of it. I myself am not jealous of the people that can. Disney did it because they can.

I'm not wishing for something to cause them to give me 25% off but I would take advantage for sure!

TChrist05 said:

Thank you for saying that..... I was on the ship. I did not complain, I did not write nasty comments on the comment card, and I certainly didn't whine and demand I get something for free. Disney offered this as we were leaving the boat this afternoon. I may even take advantage of the offer. But please don't assume we were all storming guest services looking for a handout!

Thank you for saying that..... I was on the ship. I did not complain, I did not write nasty comments on the comment card, and I certainly didn't whine and demand I get something for free. Disney offered this as we were leaving the boat this afternoon. I may even take advantage of the offer. But please don't assume we were all storming guest services looking for a handout!

Momof Diskids...since you were on the ship, what did you experience? Was it as terrifying as others are posting on other threads?

keaster said:
Momof Diskids...since you were on the ship, what did you experience? Was it as terrifying as others are posting on other threads?

Wednesday afternoon......Castaway Cay is cancelled. It looks like the eye of the storm will be over the Bahamas on the 26th, which was CC day. Captain Tom shows maps of the storm before the evening shows and explains why he just cannot get us there. Everyone is very understanding.
Thursday........ Ship is rolling. I am seasick for the first time in my entire life. But waves aren't bad, just enough motion to feel affected. We are warned that Friday the waves will be worse. Sun is out at times so people are still in pool and going about the day.
Friday...... Cloudy, windy. Gusts up to 70mph. Aqua duck closed. Pools sloshing, but still open. Waves a bit rougher. It is my birthday and I am stuck in room with sick kid (DS 4, who had puked at dinner the night before and is running a temp.)
Friday late Afternoon, just before 1st seating dinner........Pools closed. Decks closed. Grey clouds, high winds. During 1st performance, a dancer falls. It was like they leapt, and when they landed the floor wasn't where it was supposed to be. If you took the stairs you could feel the same sensation. The step would be higher or lower than when you started the step. Walking becomes an Olympic sport. Must. Hold. Handrail. 630pm Captain Tom comes on speaker to say that conditions will remain like this through the night and to take precaution when walking around the ship. Announcements are made that we may not get back to Port Canaveral at the scheduled time and that breakfast and debarkation times have changed. Now there will be open seating at Cabanas, Enchanted Garden, and Royal Court.
2nd seating dinner.......DS 9 is green around the gills, DD 6 is crying because her tummy hurts. I go to dinner with everyone, including DS 4, who no longer has a fever. DS 4 acts like he hasn't seen food in weeks and gobbles down a roll and apple juice. And then pukes all over his plate for the second night in a row. Other two kids are doing fine with some food in them. I give them some Dramamine and pop 2 meclazine for myself. Continue with dinner, get a birthday dessert, we all stumble back to our room.
10pm.......the fun begins. Waves are ridiculous. Tops of waves can be seen at 5th floor windows. Ship is pitching up and down, and it feels like a roller coaster. I go to 11th floor to beverage station to fill our mugs. Everything is closed. winds are howling. We don't want to put anyone in top bunk, so we settle in DS 9 and DD 6 into their bunks, and DS 4 sleeps with us. There will be no sleeping on this night, however. We are in room 9000. 9th floor, directly under the bridge. The ship is rolling side to side. When I say rolling, I mean that I actually rolled out of my bed onto the floor. The hangers in the closet would slide back and forth, the bathroom doors would fly open then slam shut. Ice bucket, glasses, wave phones, all on the floor. Thunderous crashes as waves would slam into the ship, so loud it sounded like a firework going off in the room. Somehow my kids are sleeping ( must have been the Dramamine;) DH and I are wide awake. It is next to impossible to walk in the room.
1245am......"When You Wish Upon A Star" comes piping into our room, followed by Captain Tom asking everyone to return to their rooms and stay there. I figure that if he is making this announcement over a loudspeaker into the rooms knowing kids are on board and possibly sleeping, he must mean business!
105am........Again with the music.... Then Captain Tom says " I want to reassure everyone that you are safe. This ship can handle the storm. You will be ok."
Saturday am........message over loudspeaker in rooms. " Sorry , folks, for the rough night. The waves and wind were worse than predicted". Off to Enchanted Garden at about 830 for breakfast. Broken pictures on ground. detective agency desk turned over. Merchandise on floor in gift shops. Broken glass in White Caps due to falling liquor bottles. Multiple crew members discussing openly with guests how frightened they were. Many guests already in lobby waiting to get off the ship. This won't happen anytime soon. We decide to go back to our rooms and let the kids watch cartoons and wait for an announcement. Announcement for 25% made. Debarkation begins at around 1145am. We don't get off ship until 145pm because so many people a trying to get off at once.

I am not a big panicker, so I never felt like "This is it!" I will admit to a bit of terror when Captain Tom came back on the speaker at 105am. I thought for sure he was going to tell us to get a life jacket on. I always felt like the ship could handle the storm but it was very uncomfortable and not something I wish to relive. I think that is what rattles a bunch a folks......Disney did not have the comfort of the guests as a priority. Yes I am alive and unhurt, but I was physically ill, and missed out on a full night's rest. Worse things could happen. I don't blame Disney for the weather. They may control many things, but that isn't one of them:) I didn't complain, I didn't write nasty comments on the comment card, I didn't descend on guest services demanding a full refund. But deep down I do feel that possibly the haste to return to port was more of a financial decision than a sane one.

TChrist05 said:

Thank You for saying this from me as well........ I was on the ship with my DH and kids. We didn't expect anything from Disney for the rough passage, and think that it was EXTREMELY generous of them to offer what they did. The first 4 days of our trip were worth what we paid IMO, but I can only speak for my family. I know that everyone on our sailing thread was WELL aware that sailing this time of year is a risk, but we didn't expect Hurricane Sandy! It is what it is, we're all safe and accounted for, and we will most definitely take advantage of what was offered to us. But no one that I saw ever ASKED for anything, and my comment card was raving.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Mom of DisKids said:
Wednesday afternoon......Castaway Cay is cancelled. It looks like the eye of the storm will be over the Bahamas on the 26th, which was CC day. Captain Tom shows maps of the storm before the evening shows and explains why he just cannot get us there. Everyone is very understanding.
Thursday........ Ship is rolling. I am seasick for the first time in my entire life. But waves aren't bad, just enough motion to feel affected. We are warned that Friday the waves will be worse. Sun is out at times so people are still in pool and going about the day.
Friday...... Cloudy, windy. Gusts up to 70mph. Aqua duck closed. Pools sloshing, but still open. Waves a bit rougher. It is my birthday and I am stuck in room with sick kid (DS 4, who had puked at dinner the night before and is running a temp.)
Friday late Afternoon, just before 1st seating dinner........Pools closed. Decks closed. Grey clouds, high winds. During 1st performance, a dancer falls. It was like they leapt, and when they landed the floor wasn't where it was supposed to be. If you took the stairs you could feel the same sensation. The step would be higher or lower than when you started the step. Walking becomes an Olympic sport. Must. Hold. Handrail. 630pm Captain Tom comes on speaker to say that conditions will remain like this through the night and to take precaution when walking around the ship. Announcements are made that we may not get back to Port Canaveral at the scheduled time and that breakfast and debarkation times have changed. Now there will be open seating at Cabanas, Enchanted Garden, and Royal Court.
2nd seating dinner.......DS 9 is green around the gills, DD 6 is crying because her tummy hurts. I go to dinner with everyone, including DS 4, who no longer has a fever. DS 4 acts like he hasn't seen food in weeks and gobbles down a roll and apple juice. And then pukes all over his plate for the second night in a row. Other two kids are doing fine with some food in them. I give them some Dramamine and pop 2 meclazine for myself. Continue with dinner, get a birthday dessert, we all stumble back to our room.
10pm.......the fun begins. Waves are ridiculous. Tops of waves can be seen at 5th floor windows. Ship is pitching up and down, and it feels like a roller coaster. I go to 11th floor to beverage station to fill our mugs. Everything is closed. winds are howling. We don't want to put anyone in top bunk, so we settle in DS 9 and DD 6 into their bunks, and DS 4 sleeps with us. There will be no sleeping on this night, however. We are in room 9000. 9th floor, directly under the bridge. The ship is rolling side to side. When I say rolling, I mean that I actually rolled out of my bed onto the floor. The hangers in the closet would slide back and forth, the bathroom doors would fly open then slam shut. Ice bucket, glasses, wave phones, all on the floor. Thunderous crashes as waves would slam into the ship, so loud it sounded like a firework going off in the room. Somehow my kids are sleeping ( must have been the Dramamine;) DH and I are wide awake. It is next to impossible to walk in the room.
1245am......"When You Wish Upon A Star" comes piping into our room, followed by Captain Tom asking everyone to return to their rooms and stay there. I figure that if he is making this announcement over a loudspeaker into the rooms knowing kids are on board and possibly sleeping, he must mean business!
105am........Again with the music.... Then Captain Tom says " I want to reassure everyone that you are safe. This ship can handle the storm. You will be ok."
Saturday am........message over loudspeaker in rooms. " Sorry , folks, for the rough night. The waves and wind were worse than predicted". Off to Enchanted Garden at about 830 for breakfast. Broken pictures on ground. detective agency desk turned over. Merchandise on floor in gift shops. Broken glass in White Caps due to falling liquor bottles. Multiple crew members discussing openly with guests how frightened they were. Many guests already in lobby waiting to get off the ship. This won't happen anytime soon. We decide to go back to our rooms and let the kids watch cartoons and wait for an announcement. Announcement for 25% made. Debarkation begins at around 1145am. We don't get off ship until 145pm because so many people a trying to get off at once.

I am not a big panicker, so I never felt like "This is it!" I will admit to a bit of terror when Captain Tom came back on the speaker at 105am. I thought for sure he was going to tell us to get a life jacket on. I always felt like the ship could handle the storm but it was very uncomfortable and not something I wish to relive. I think that is what rattles a bunch a folks......Disney did not have the comfort of the guests as a priority. Yes I am alive and unhurt, but I was physically ill, and missed out on a full night's rest. Worse things could happen. I don't blame Disney for the weather. They may control many things, but that isn't one of them:) I didn't complain, I didn't write nasty comments on the comment card, I didn't descend on guest services demanding a full refund. But deep down I do feel that possibly the haste to return to port was more of a financial decision than a sane one.

Ditto. Sounds like some of my Dinner seating with DS 9 and DS 7! It was ginger ale, green apples and crackers for us. And I also thought that when Captain Tom came on the second time, it was to tell us to get our life jackets out and start grabbing our medications and head to your muster station! Glad to know I wasn't the only one!

I was on this sailing. I'm surprised the captain sailed into this weather. This was a perfect recipe for rogue waves. IMHO he put his ship and passengers in danger. With all the navigation technology he knew what he was sailing into. It appears getting back to port was the priority last night. We should have hid out in the Bahamas for a while. IMHO :goodvibes

ETA; Perhaps the captain wanted to test the welds, hatches, bolts, glass endurance, and weather stripping.
They were studying/inspecting fore starboard around the anchor closely once docked.:confused3

I think they should have given them a 25% refund of their cruise fare in cash!!

Why? They got to enjoy their full 7 day cruise, and had one rough night.

When Hurricane Jeanne caused the Magic to go out from Ft. Lauderdale on Tuesday rather than from PC on Saturday, we got a 40% refund of our cruise fare. However. we missed almost half of our cruise! It was a reasonably fair refund. However, it did cost all of that to extend our stay at WDW (where we spend the previous week). Those couple of extra nights cost as much as the previous week because we HAD to purchase them at the rate then being offered--no discounts or allowances for the fact that we couldn't get on the ship. Seriously, 2 nights were the same price as 6 nights! And we spend those nights shut in our resort room with no access to any amenities. Our AC went out part way thru when a tree landed on the compressor. And no, Disney didn't offer us anything because we had no AC, nor did we expect it.

Bad things happen, and it isn't always someone else's fault. DCL was being generous in offering a discount on a future cruise; they didn't have to do that.

I suggest the people demanding refunds read every word of their cruise contract. Might be a bit scary with what it explicitly states.

I suggest the people demanding refunds read every word of their cruise contract. Might be a bit scary with what it explicitly states.

Yes, and if they knew they were to encounter the seas we did, most would love/chose to sit in port docked for seven days. Seriously. It was brutal, and I love heavy seas.

Yes, and if they knew they were to encounter the seas we did, most would love/chose to sit in port docked for seven days. Seriously. It was brutal, and I love heavy seas.

My point was not about the actual conditions onboard. My point was that DCL does not OWE anyone any future cruise booking discount, does not owe refunds etc. They fulfilled their part of the cruise contract. THATS what I was saying.

Maybe things have changed. I know for a fact that back in 2008, the 25% discount was on top of the OBB discount.

It makes good business sense for DCL to give out these discounts when things happen which could significantly effect peoples decision to book another cruise. Having a customer who pays 75% of the next cruise fare and potentially books more cruises after that at 100% is far better than risking losing a customer. Going a little overboard the ensure customer satisfaction is one of the things that sets Disney apart from the competition.

You never want someone to walk off the ship annoyed. This is excellent customer relations.

Exactly. And that's why we love Disney:cheer2:

Disney is simply looking after their business. They can't control the weather but surprisingly clients/customers often don't appreciate that fact. They rather keep customers happy and offer them 25% off then potentially lose a customer. Not only will it make the clients on the boat happy, it provides great word of mouth advertising. People will tell their friends "Oh we booked another Disney Cruise, they offered us 25% off another cruise because of the bad weather on our cruise" Disney know what they're doing, they want to keep their customers and make new ones. They would rather "lose" that 25% off a cruise booking then risk bad reviews going out or losing the customer.

JoiseyMom said:
Hey, maybe DCL should have charged them more since they turned it into an E-Ticket Ride! :rotfl2:

When Hurricane Sandy wreaks havok in your home state and completely pounds the mid-Atlantic, I can guarantee you that it won't be "an E-Ticket Ride! :rotfl2:"

If hundreds of thousands or millions lose power sometime in the next 48 hours, they won't be ":rotfl2:" either

Couldn't agree more! Why do people expect more when they are lucky to have received anything at all.

While on our Med 2010 cruise, we lost power in a storm, rocked and rolled horribly, items flew out of our closet doors that were slamming open and shut and 3 of us were sea sick. It never occurred to me to expect anything other than safe passage!

We were on that Med cruise too. Very freaky to have the electricity go out and in turn the stabilizers are not functioning. I remember as it got lighter looking out our verandah and seeing all sky, then all water. Very strange! When the captain said not to be worried because we were no where near land, I think he should have explained why that was good. Because some thought being in the middle of the Med was a bad thing. Definitely the roughest ride I was ever on. I wonder though if it had been the last night of the cruise, if we would have a different view of the cruise. But since it happened early in the cruise I think we were able to somewhat forget it by the last day.

ethanash1 said:
Thank You for saying this from me as well........ I was on the ship with my DH and kids. We didn't expect anything from Disney for the rough passage, and think that it was EXTREMELY generous of them to offer what they did. The first 4 days of our trip were worth what we paid IMO, but I can only speak for my family. I know that everyone on our sailing thread was WELL aware that sailing this time of year is a risk, but we didn't expect Hurricane Sandy! It is what it is, we're all safe and accounted for, and we will most definitely take advantage of what was offered to us. But no one that I saw ever ASKED for anything, and my comment card was raving.

My family was with these guys as well on this trip. The first 4 days of our trip was awesome and we had perfect weather for St Maarten and St Thomas. Yes we were disappointed no Castaway but my 9 yo still had a wonderful time and was not upset about missing it because the kids club was awesome. We gave excellent reviews and pointed out the great service from crew members and the only bad comment left was...please bolt down the phone next to the bed. I swear that thing was out to get me and I could not remove it to stow in a drawer. Otherwise we did not complain about the trip, even with the 2 days of sea sickness our family suffered.

The discount was a bonus and we are excited to use it, as it was very unexpected.

And Disney went above and beyond by opening the dining options on Deck 11 around noon, so those that needed or choose to could go up and eat. We finally got off the ship around 2 ish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!